Author Topic: Spock's Beard Discography thread  (Read 112044 times)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Spock's Beard Discography thread - v. Noise Floor (2018)
« Reply #945 on: March 29, 2021, 11:42:00 AM »
The disrespect for Day for Night in this thread hurts me. I think it is my favorite SB album. The Healing Colors of Sound suite is easily their best composition: it has tons of variation, it flows wonderfully well and it's just fun to listen to.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online HOF

« Reply #946 on: March 29, 2021, 12:08:46 PM »
The disrespect for Day for Night in this thread hurts me. I think it is my favorite SB album. The Healing Colors of Sound suite is easily their best composition: it has tons of variation, it flows wonderfully well and it's just fun to listen to.

I love Day for Night, and especially The Healing Colors of Sound. The only two tracks that hold the album back a little for me are The Gypsy and to a lesser extent Gibberish (It’s ok but I find I’m not a huge fan of the trademark SB interplaying harmony tracks in general).

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #947 on: March 29, 2021, 02:30:12 PM »
Count me in the group of those who love V, X and BNADS. Those are my favorite SB albums, one for each era.

I need to dive more into the rest of the catalog, as I've focused mostly on different songs I like, rather than full albums. Hopefully I can do a dedicated SB catalog run soon.

As for Snow, I think it's a bit too long and sometimes it feels like it and Testimony 1 are basically the same album. Don't know if someone has ever said that before and I hope it's not something bad to say, they just feel way too similar as back to back Neal releases. I still enjoy both, tho.

I love Neal Morse and everything he puts out other than his praise and worship stuff is an instant buy for me, no questions asked.  But with that said, it's pretty obvious to me that he's been making pretty much the same album over and over since Snow.  (<--that's hyperbole for those who are hyperbole-challenged  ;) )

There are certainly differences between the albums, but generally speaking they're all pretty much about the same topic and they are all filled with his signature bag of suspended 4th opportunities sprinkled across an hour or two of melodic retro-prog with Christian messaging.  Not that there is anything wrong with that at all.  I tend to prefer that artists write about topics they are passionate about because I believe that produces the best end product and Neal rarely disappoints with the only exception being that a lot of his music sounds a lot like other music he's already released.

I firmly believe that most artists have a limited musical vocabulary and a guy as prolific as Neal is bound to start repeating himself, especially when he makes 2,345,128 albums in a row on pretty much the same lyrical topic. (<---yep, that's more hyperbole  :) )

I do agree with this broadly. I kind of stopped following Neal’s solo career after One (have picked a few things up since but not really changed my opinion). I think his albums are still somewhat shaped by the band he has around him. Snow is different from Testimony in part because of the players involved, and just like Transatlantic is different from SB or Neal’s solo stuff. But in terms of his writing, Snow was really the first (and best IMO) of many similar albums.

Totally agree.
In fact, since there is The Neal Morse Band with fixed members, I would find it interesting that Neal made his solo albums (like Sola Gratia) with other musicians. Without Randy, without Mike.

The problem is that he has already tried to do something different with other musicians (JCTE) and the result was not the best.  :lol

Although I really like albums from Neal's solo career (like Testimony, One, ?, etc.) I still think that SB and Transatlantic are the best of the Morserian universe.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #948 on: March 29, 2021, 04:13:27 PM »
To me, due to Portnoy's involvement on most of his main albums and the nature of his music, Neal's discography post-Spock's, and with Transatlantic, is an extension of the Dream Theater world to me, like LTE, JP's albums, and some of the other member's work outside DT. A new Neal Morse album is the closest thing to a new MP-era DT album, as far as it being proggy and having those familiar rhythms. I've said that Neal's albums should really be Spock's Theater. I actually haven't gotten around to JCTE yet, but I think that one was something more of an experiment, so not necessarily something Neal would do if he were to keep putting out prog albums without MP and Randy. With Neal's main prog albums, I think it's a matter of 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'. Neal has said before that Portnoy just understands what needs to happen in his music. MP has praised Neal Morse on multiple occasions, even saying he is one of the best songwriters and rock composers of all time, up there with Lennon, McCartney, Wilson, Simon, etc.. Randy sometimes sounds too good with Portnoy, such a tight rhythm section. I'd rather get consistent material than not. If I want diversity of lineups I'll listen to The Flower Kings. Neal just needs to mix things up a little more and not rely on his bag of tricks. I think he's been doing that to some extent on his more recent albums, but looking back on Spock's albums those were really diverse in sound and style. I think that's the idea behind The Neal Morse band, as those albums do stick out a little more than his last 2-3 solo prog albums. The new Transatlantic album is the same way, though his 'edit' is more like a typical Neal solo album. The extended is the full album, and everything works really well in both but the extended version is where we hear different things going on all around.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #949 on: March 29, 2021, 07:16:25 PM »

Who has disrespected Day for Night?  ??? ???

In fact, since there is The Neal Morse Band with fixed members, I would find it interesting that Neal made his solo albums (like Sola Gratia) with other musicians. Without Randy, without Mike.

The problem is that he has already tried to do something different with other musicians (JCTE) and the result was not the best.  :lol

The worry for me is that if Neal tried to get other people to play with him on his solo albums, he would opt for religious folks who he wants to play with, rather than getting great players, and the music would end up not as good as a result (seemed like some of the players he had for the live shows in his early solo days post-Spock's ran along those lines), so I'd rather he just keep working with Randy George and Mike Portnoy on his prog solo albums, as that will ensure high quality when it comes to musicianship.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #950 on: March 29, 2021, 08:33:39 PM »

The worry for me is that if Neal tried to get other people to play with him on his solo albums, he would opt for religious folks who he wants to play with, rather than getting great players, and the music would end up not as good as a result (seemed like some of the players he had for the live shows in his early solo days post-Spock's ran along those lines), so I'd rather he just keep working with Randy George and Mike Portnoy on his prog solo albums, as that will ensure high quality when it comes to musicianship.

Well, but even Randy George is a religious guy. Only MP did not reach NM with this feedback.
It cannot be said that he cannot find great musicians to work for, even among fellow religionists. Furthermore, I consider that he has worked with great not so well known musicians: Eric Brenton is a great multi-instrumentalist; Paul Bielatowicz (who plays with Carl Palmer) has already done great solos for Neal records; Adson Sodré is an incredible guitarist, in addition to being also religious (remembering that in the first version of what came to be TNB he was the main guitarist, not Eric); etc.
Eric Gillette and Bill Hubauer were virtually unknown until they started playing with Neal. That is, it is totally possible to find great musicians.

And let's be honest, Randy George is a great musician, great bass player but the "big problem" would be not having Mike Portnoy. Mike has a legion of followers outside of the Neal Morse universe, and you can't say that about Randy. I understand that, but they collaborate a lot. They would continue to collaborate: FC, Transatlantic, TNB. How many Morse/Portnoy records do we need per year?

And about "high quality", this is exactly what is missing. Not from the musicians involved, but the final product. I think it would be interesting to eventually have a prog album by Neal with other musicians. And the Morse/Portnoy partnership would continue on the other 25 bands that they are together with.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #951 on: March 29, 2021, 08:47:24 PM »
The business factor surely plays a role. Any non-Portnoy NM album will be less popular, Neal has said as much, that's without mentioning his lyrical themes.
but man, not even Yes or Genesis put out such consistent high quality material in their heyday, they each had, what, 4 all time great albums, Neal has at least triple that, and then some in his main catalog (SB, TA, NM, TNMB) Lineup changes alter the music, sometimes for better, but often for worse.

I would love to see Neal do another Spock's Beard album, not officially rejoin or anything, but play a major role in the writing, playing, and collaboration. It can be a one and done thing or not, but I think that would add more variety to Neal's canon, as SB has changed over the years. If they can do one long track together on a compilation album, surely they could do an entire album.

Offline 425

« Reply #952 on: March 29, 2021, 09:32:55 PM »
I'd rather get consistent material than not. If I want diversity of lineups I'll listen to The Flower Kings. Neal just needs to mix things up a little more and not rely on his bag of tricks. I think he's been doing that to some extent on his more recent albums, but looking back on Spock's albums those were really diverse in sound and style. I think that's the idea behind The Neal Morse band, as those albums do stick out a little more than his last 2-3 solo prog albums.

I definitely agree with everything you said, but especially this part. I'm optimistic that NMB4 will stick out quite a bit relatively speaking, since, if I recall correctly, they wrote most of it together rather than Neal coming to the table with a bunch of demos. I think there's a good chance it will stand out at least to the extent that The Grand Experiment stands out. I'd say TGE really stands apart from Neal's other work in style—and also low-key has two of the best songs he's ever worked on in The Call and Alive Again.

TSOAD and TGA do stick out to a certain degree themselves, and they're both superb albums, but I think just by nature of being double concept albums they fall a little more into familiar Neal Morse territory. As a by-product of their success, too, I think they've unfortunately somewhat overshadowed TGE.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #953 on: March 29, 2021, 10:11:49 PM »
The business factor surely plays a role. Any non-Portnoy NM album will be less popular, Neal has said as much, that's without mentioning his lyrical themes.
but man, not even Yes or Genesis put out such consistent high quality material in their heyday, they each had, what, 4 all time great albums, Neal has at least triple that, and then some in his main catalog (SB, TA, NM, TNMB) Lineup changes alter the music, sometimes for better, but often for worse.

I would love to see Neal do another Spock's Beard album, not officially rejoin or anything, but play a major role in the writing, playing, and collaboration. It can be a one and done thing or not, but I think that would add more variety to Neal's canon, as SB has changed over the years. If they can do one long track together on a compilation album, surely they could do an entire album.

This is a point that cannot be ignored.

My comments were only in the sense of something that I would find interesting to check it out. It is understandable that things continue on their current course (and that fans want it), but not for me. I have no further interest.

Online HOF

« Reply #954 on: March 30, 2021, 06:31:01 AM »
More indication that Spock’s Beard isn’t done. They’ve been announced as headliners for this festival in March 2022:

https://www.loudersound.com/news/spocks-beard-airbag-and-jump-complete-hrh-xii-line-up

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #955 on: March 30, 2021, 06:43:21 AM »
Who has disrespected Day for Night?  ??? ???

I was just being a bit hyperbolic based on the fact that a lot of people ranked it pretty low.  :smiley:
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #956 on: March 30, 2021, 07:03:21 AM »
More indication that Spock’s Beard isn’t done. They’ve been announced as headliners for this festival in March 2022:

https://www.loudersound.com/news/spocks-beard-airbag-and-jump-complete-hrh-xii-line-up

I can't divulge any details here because I gave my word that I wouldn't.  But don't be surprised if there is an additional announcement about Spock's Beard in the months leading up to this performance.  ;D

Online HOF

« Reply #957 on: March 30, 2021, 07:15:57 AM »

I can't divulge any details here because I gave my word that I wouldn't.  But don't be surprised if there is an additional announcement about Spock's Beard in the months leading up to this performance.  ;D

Well, let’s just hope it’s a new album and not a farewell tour!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #958 on: March 30, 2021, 07:22:12 AM »

Falling For Forever lineup for the next album?

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #959 on: March 30, 2021, 10:04:15 AM »

On his records he got a lot of great musicians as guests over the years. Jordan Rudess, Steve Morse, Paul Gilbert, Steve Hackett and more.

And I always had the impression that his touring band in Europe back then had nothing to do with religious beliefs but with availability and money. MP back then was still in DT and he may not have been available. And to fly him and other american musicians over would have been more expensive than hiring relatively unknown european musicians. And MP and others would probably get a bigger salary.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #960 on: March 30, 2021, 07:45:31 PM »

I was just being a bit hyperbolic based on the fact that a lot of people ranked it pretty low.  :smiley:

Haha, all good!  It's always a good indicator that a band is really great when they have this many albums and I can rank one as strong as Day for Night so low.  :hat :hat

On his records he got a lot of great musicians as guests over the years. Jordan Rudess, Steve Morse, Paul Gilbert, Steve Hackett and more.

And I always had the impression that his touring band in Europe back then had nothing to do with religious beliefs but with availability and money. MP back then was still in DT and he may not have been available. And to fly him and other american musicians over would have been more expensive than hiring relatively unknown european musicians. And MP and others would probably get a bigger salary.

Fair points.  :tup :tup

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #961 on: March 31, 2021, 12:37:26 AM »

Ah, this has got me all twitchy. Would love more Neal Beard work soooo much!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #962 on: March 31, 2021, 12:01:54 PM »

Neal era SB + Ted would be the perfect lineup imo.

(not saying that it will happen, but we can dream :lol)
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #963 on: April 01, 2021, 07:13:50 AM »

(not saying that it will happen, but we can dream :lol )

Ted would play the role of NDV (minus the drums, of course).  Vocally, Ted is capable of reaching those high falsetto notes that NDV used to sing and I think you are absolutely correct that it would be a perfect lineup.  I have learned to never say "never."

Online HOF

« Reply #964 on: April 01, 2021, 08:07:37 AM »

(not saying that it will happen, but we can dream :lol )

Ted would play the role of NDV (minus the drums, of course).  Vocally, Ted is capable of reaching those high falsetto notes that NDV used to sing and I think you are absolutely correct that it would be a perfect lineup.  I have learned to never say "never."

Watching Neal’s latest podcast episode with Dave Meros as I type. Cool to hear them reminiscing (Al was also on recently). Definitely wouldn’t say never about Neal doing something with Spock’s Beard again at some point, but we’ll see.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #965 on: April 01, 2021, 09:25:16 AM »
FFF is the only evidence I need to see that it is totally possible, especially in these covid times. The results would most likely be excellent.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #966 on: April 01, 2021, 09:44:34 AM »
I really hope Neal does not work with SB. I actually love SB post-Neal. The songs are more cohesive and stronger, melodies are also good. I just feel that Neal would bring recycled themes and material from his solo work, which is also getting a bit repetitive. Unfortunately, Neal lost me with the last two releases (Great Adventure and Similitude). The song they released together as part of the SB compilation was ok.

Online HOF

« Reply #967 on: April 01, 2021, 09:48:46 AM »
I really hope Neal does not work with SB. I actually love SB post-Neal. The songs are more cohesive and stronger, melodies are also good. I just feel that Neal would bring recycled themes and material from his solo work, which is also getting a bit repetitive. Unfortunately, Neal lost me with the last two releases (Great Adventure and Similitude). The song they released together as part of the SB compilation was ok.

I’m probably more interested in Nick coming back as a full time member and contributing more than drums, but I think if Neal were in a role more like in Flying Colors than as band leader it would be fun.

Online HOF

« Reply #968 on: April 01, 2021, 10:36:23 AM »
Watching Neal’s latest podcast episode with Dave Meros as I type. Cool to hear them reminiscing (Al was also on recently). Definitely wouldn’t say never about Neal doing something with Spock’s Beard again at some point, but we’ll see.

Man, this was really fun. Some great stories, a lot of talk about the formation of Spock’s Beard, the recording of different songs, favorite SB albums, they even get into Neal’s leaving the band and get emotional about everything they’ve been through together and the privilege of being able to make music for a living. Worth a listen for sure.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A3hOrlvo9hs

Offline Mladen

« Reply #969 on: April 02, 2021, 11:16:14 AM »
I saw your comment after I posted about this on Neal's thread. What a great watch.  :tup

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #970 on: April 02, 2021, 01:24:31 PM »
I wonder which SB member Neal will invite next for his podcast? Nick seems like a good pick to me!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #971 on: April 02, 2021, 01:29:00 PM »
I agree Nick would be an awesome choice. I do not think Ryo is that talkative of a guy.

However, at some point he could also do one with Ted. Not because Ted is currently in Spock's Beard, but because he has been a part of Neal's projects for years. They've also done a Transatlantic interview together. That would be a fun episode.

Online HOF

« Reply #972 on: April 02, 2021, 03:23:55 PM »
I saw your comment after I posted about this on Neal's thread. What a great watch.  :tup

Definitely! :tup :tup

I agree Nick would be an awesome choice. I do not think Ryo is that talkative of a guy.

However, at some point he could also do one with Ted. Not because Ted is currently in Spock's Beard, but because he has been a part of Neal's projects for years. They've also done a Transatlantic interview together. That would be a fun episode.

Either Nick or Ted would be fun. You could tell from the Neal and Ted Transatlantic interview that they could have spent plenty of time just chatting about stuff. Would be cool to hear some stories from back when SB and Enchant would tour together.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #973 on: April 02, 2021, 03:26:03 PM »
I'll have to listen to that later.  I'd like to hear Neal and Roine Stolt do one of those together.  As two of the giants of the last 25 years of progressive rock, could make for an interesting conversation considering their different approaches and styles.

Offline frogprog

« Reply #974 on: April 03, 2021, 07:49:59 AM »
I loved the chat with Dave Meros. What a fantastic bass player and nice guy. Their talk of the earlier years brought back fond memories of seeing SB on the V tour at a tiny place in philly, the North Star. I got to meet and chat with the fellows and they were all really cool.I was also fortunate enough to chat with Dave and Jimmy on the night before PNAS. I only spent a few minutes with Dave but was invited to sit at their table by Dave's lovely wife, Rose who was such a sweetheart and welcomed me, nobody, into their group an introduced me to everyone like I was a long list friend. She chatted with me for well over an hour and insisted I share this appetizers! Good times! Liked said, a really lovely lady, I hope they are doing well. :smiley:

Offline Mladen

« Reply #975 on: April 03, 2021, 10:37:21 AM »
Awesome story, frogprog.  :tup

Offline darkshade

« Reply #976 on: April 03, 2021, 12:02:10 PM »
Could a Neal Morse / Spock's Beard reunion be possible with the band's 30th anniversary coming up?

Offline frogprog

« Reply #977 on: April 03, 2021, 06:09:19 PM »
Thanks, Maiden. Sorry for the weird auto corrects.
I listened to all the Neal era albums today whilst doing a paver walkway and thoroughly enjoyed them! It's been a while.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #978 on: April 03, 2021, 07:42:30 PM »
Could a Neal Morse / Spock's Beard reunion be possible with the band's 30th anniversary coming up?

Well, that is still four years away, but ya never know. 

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #979 on: April 03, 2021, 08:00:47 PM »

Well, that is still four years away, but ya never know.

Wasn't SB formed in 1992?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."