Author Topic: Spock's Beard Discography thread  (Read 110167 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Spock's Beard Discography thread
« on: September 08, 2015, 08:18:34 PM »
The Light

We kick it off with Spock's Beard debut album from 1995.  I am a bit envious of those who were around and listening to them from the start; I can only imagine what my reaction would have been if this had been my first Beard record, instead of the fourth I heard in the latter part of 2000.  When the Beard began, they were a four-piece band: Neal Morse on lead vocals and keyboards, Alan Morse on guitars, David Meros on bass, and Nick D'Virgilio on drums and background vocals; Ryo Okumoto, I believe, was added as a second keyboarist when they toured on this record, and was an official member by the time the second album rolled around. 

But, back to the first, it's not often that you can say, "This band's first song on their first album is their best," about any band, but in the case of Spock's Beard, it might be true.  If "The Light" isn't their best song, it is certainly in the conversation.  It has everything that defined the Beard in the early days: great melodies, nice harmonies, gorgeous mellow parts, some great rocking moments, a bit of quirkiness, a great thematic sense, and plenty of drama.  The fact that Neal Morse has played this song quite a bit live over the years as a solo artists speaks volumes as to how much he knows fans love this song.  It's a major winner in every regard.

"Go the Way You Go" has long been a song that many diehard fans love to pieces, as well, although, for me, it has always been a song I liked a lot, rather than loved.  Every time I hear it, I enjoy the hell out of it, but it's never been a song that I go out of my way to hear, like so many of their longer pieces.

Speaking of which, "The Water," at a little over 23 minutes," remains their 2nd longest song to date.  It also contains the most bizarre part of any song they've ever done, the FU section, which still sounds just odd to me at times (hearing Neal Morse scream FU over and over is just so strange :lol :lol), but the song overall is pretty freaking awesome.  Some of the best music they've ever written and played is in this song.  It's hard to nail one down single section as being the best, although "A Thief in the Night" would be my gut reaction first pick right now, since every section really is so strong.

"On the Edge" is the unenviable position of being not only the last song on the record, but the only (relatively) short one, giving it a bit of a tacked-on feel, which is a shame because it is a good song, but after those three long songs, getting a breather with a short rocker is not a bad thing, but I am just not sure it should have ended the record.  I think swapping this and "The Water" in the running order would have made for a better flow.  Regardless, this is a fine ending to a most excellent debut.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 09:17:58 AM by hefdaddy42 »

Offline The Letter M

Re: Spock's Beard Discography thread - v. Señor Valasco
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 08:27:13 PM »
What a debut! I remember when I first got into this band, this wasn't the first album I heard from them! However, it wasn't long after I discovered them (circa 2005) that I got their first seven albums and ate them all up like I'd never heard music before in my life.

This debut is one of my favorite debuts by ANY band, and the strength of its songs stands high, even today over 20 years later. This album laid out the blueprint for many SB and Neal Morse sounds that would evolve on future albums, and even right off the bat, each of the band's members shine on this record!

Even though I truly enjoy this debut, sadly, it's still on my bottom-end of Beard albums, but that just goes to show that they definitely got better as time went on, even after a really well done first album!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 08:45:10 PM »
Awe man... another discog thread I don't have time to follow.  Well, maybe as a sonic cleanse in between my roulette rounds, I'll get back to them.

I agree with Marc, I put it in the bottom tier of my go-to SB albums, but that just shows how strong their discog is.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 08:52:18 PM »
I haven't been as active in discography threads in the past as I've wanted. Hopefully this one I'll keep up with a bit better. I've always wanted to check out more Spock's Beard
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 01:35:11 AM »
Hooray! Let's do this!

The Light. A great album which I finally got my hands on last autumn. Even though the title track has many short sections (for a 15-minute song), the flow is marvellous. The "All of this in one man" chorus is their first example of vocal counterpoint which will occur several times through the discography. Go the Way You Go is probably my favourite, when pushed for one. The piano music in the intro, and especially its full-band reprise in the outro, always gives me goosebumps. The Water was the first song from this album I got into. Yes, the FU section is bizarre, but the music there still has great drive to it. A Thief in the Night is some of SB's most creepy music, with just the strings and hi-hat at the beginning creating an incredible atmosphere. Reach for the Sky definitely has an end-of-album epicness about it. But it's not. On the Edge follows, and having to compete with three 10-minute-plus 'epics', it feels like it's tacked on to the end. Still a good song though.

Looking forward to joining in when I can. My current discography is: The Light, Beware of Darkness, The Kindness of Strangers, Snow, X, Brief Nocturnes, and The Oblivion Particle.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 02:41:12 AM »
What a terrible band. Especially this album and the title-track is horrid.

:neverusethis:

:heart
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 03:06:00 AM »
Alright, I'm in. I'm definitely following and will even try to contribute.

I first heard Spock’s Beard when they opened for Dream Theater during the Scenes From A Memory tour.

They instantly blew me away, not only was the music great, but their live show was sensational. The fun they had on stage, especially Neal handling keyboards, acoustic guitar and vocals, telling stories and dancing around. And we had Mike Portnoy drumming with a Kiss mask during (I think) June.
The next day I bought their then recent record (V) and had another favorite band. Over the next months I got all their albums and was a first day buyer ever since.

On topic - The Light:
What a great debut to start your recording career. It’s not my favorite SB record but it’s really really strong. And it sets the direction. With only four songs and three of them raning from ten minutes to more than twenty minutes long, you knew you had some serious prog.

The opener is fantastic, again not my favorite, but it’s up there. And it has all the Neal Morse/Spock’s Beard trademarks, from the strong melodies to the multi-harmony parts to the flamenco bits to the sometimes quirky guitar parts and the small but great keyboard licks. Everything is there and everything works.

Go The Way You Go is another classic, really good song and probably top ten, or at least top twenty material.

Then we have The Water. Everybody talks about the FU section and yeah, it’s strange but it’s cool, and he says sorry right after  :D Another big epic where everything flows together nicely with some cool dynamics. I sometimes think that The Water is even better than The Light.

And the last Song On The Edge isn’t bad either, it’s just that it sits at the end of these epics and doesn’t really work as an album closer, but I like it nonetheless. And I think the line “Some people are like gravy, spilled on God’s Sunday shirt” is great  :metal
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 03:53:38 AM »
And I think the line “Some people are like gravy, spilled on God’s Sunday shirt” is great  :metal

You're an album too early there. That's from Waste Away.

I first heard of Spock's Beard when DT namechecked Day for Night in Octavarium's "Full Circle" section: "Day for nightmare cinema show..."

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 04:10:39 AM »
And I think the line “Some people are like gravy, spilled on God’s Sunday shirt” is great  :metal

You're an album too early there. That's from Waste Away.

Oh shit, you're right  :facepalm:

Offline Mladen

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 04:54:14 AM »
I honestly don't remember if this was my first Beard album. It might have been V or The Kindness of strangers, it really was quite a while ago, seven and a half years probably.

But whatever, this album is fantastic. My favorite Beard release and one of my all time favorite albums. The Water is my favorite song of theirs (music rarely gets better than this), The Light is top 5 material as well, On the edge is tremendous, Go the way you go is very good. I love the album cover as well.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 05:00:55 AM »
I might try and follow this.  Spock's Beard is one band I could never really get into.  Saying that I own;

Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep (2CD)
Feel Euphoria
Gluttons for Punishment – Live in ‘05
Octane

I think I have a DVD too.  So might get them out when they are discussed.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 05:31:53 AM »
I made this thread once to show my love for the Beard. It's a top 30 Beard songs and I'd say it's still pretty accurate. Warning before you drcide to necro it, the thread is 2.5 years old :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 08:39:33 AM »
I'm going to follow along with this thread as my introduction to the band. I literally haven't listened to a single thing from them. Hopefully I'll enjoy it more than Neal's solo output.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2015, 08:59:25 AM »
I've never found The Light to be one of their best album, nor one of their best songs. That said, when Neal joined them on the cruise for The Light, that particular performance was one of the best I've ever seen from anyone. He just laid into that song. The album has grown for sure, but I still definitely prefer Kindless, Beware, and V for sure.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2015, 09:47:55 PM »
I didn't mention this before, but The Light is the best "sounding" of the first four albums.  It has a very nice, warm, organic sound, and I dare say that it is their only album that has that specific kind of mix.  The albums from V till the newest one all pretty much sound the same, with regards to mix and dynamics, but of the first four, The Light really stands out ahead of the others in that regard. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2015, 10:00:24 PM »
I first heard of Spock's Beard when DT namechecked Day for Night in Octavarium's "Full Circle" section: "Day for nightmare cinema show..."

Ditto... man, 10 years ago now!

I might try and follow this.  Spock's Beard is one band I could never really get into.  Saying that I own;

Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep (2CD)
Feel Euphoria
Gluttons for Punishment – Live in ‘05
Octane

I think I have a DVD too.  So might get them out when they are discussed.

Well, no wonder you're having trouble getting into them.  BNADS is great; FE... one of the worst; Octane I like, but many others do not, and GFP is good, but Octane heavy.  Follow along, we'll give you the goods.

I've never found The Light to be one of their best album, nor one of their best songs. That said, when Neal joined them on the cruise for The Light, that particular performance was one of the best I've ever seen from anyone. He just laid into that song. The album has grown for sure, but I still definitely prefer Kindless, Beware, and V for sure.

All of this.  I wasn't a fan of The Light, but man... that rendition they did on the boat...  :hefdaddy.  It made me a fan.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2015, 01:10:21 AM »
I didn't mention this before, but The Light is the best "sounding" of the first four albums.  It has a very nice, warm, organic sound, and I dare say that it is their only album that has that specific kind of mix.  The albums from V till the newest one all pretty much sound the same, with regards to mix and dynamics, but of the first four, The Light really stands out ahead of the others in that regard.

Funny that you mention that because I think the completely opposite. The Light sounds nice but a little "rough" in my ears, I always thought that you could hear that they didn't have the biggest budget.

And we Europeans got a different cover, which is kinda moody but not that special:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2015, 08:46:20 AM »
This remains one of my favorite SB albums, and one of my favorite prog albums, period.

3 of my favorite SB songs.  Love it, love it, love it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2015, 05:32:48 PM »

Funny that you mention that because I think the completely opposite. The Light sounds nice but a little "rough" in my ears, I always thought that you could hear that they didn't have the biggest budget.

I agree that it's a little rough around the edges, but in a good way.  Sometimes, bands (not the Beard) can get too clever with sound once they get a budget.  At the beginning, it's just you and your songs, and the rawness of that kind of sound can be very appealing, when done right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2015, 08:31:24 AM »
I agree.  It's clear, but not too slick.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Spock's Beard Discography thread - v. Gravy spilled on God's Sunday shirt
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2015, 06:02:04 PM »
Beware of Darkness

This was the first Spock's album I ever heard, and while I remember liking it at first, I have zero recollection as to what songs or even what moments grabbed me at first; I just remember liking it.  Being that this was 2000, shortly after I got into Transatlantic and SMPTe, I thought Spock's was a little rougher around the edges than TA, but the sound and style was obviously similar enough to where I knew this was a band I would become a fan of pretty easily.  And the four-some was now a five-some, as Ryo Okumoto was an official member of the band as a second keyboardist, focusing mainly on mellotron and hammond organ, while Neal handled the synths and piano.

The album kicks off with the title track, a cover of a George Harrison song from the early 70s. I had no idea it was a cover the first time I heard it (I didn't hear the Harrison original until years later), so judging it on its own, without any type of comparison to the original, I always thought it was a good song.  Nice beginning to the record.

"Thoughts" began the Thoughts series of songs (which has seen parts 1, 2, 3 and 5 so far; where is 4?? :Lol).   This is by far the best of the four done thus far.  I am not always wild about the songs that center around those multi-part harmonies that are reminiscent of Gentle Giant, a band the Beard was clearly influenced by early on, but I am very wild about this song.  It's so quirky and so odd, yet so insanely catchy.  I love the creepy musical bits in the song. 

I talked the other day about songs that are in the discussion for best Beard song ever.  Track 3, "The Doorway," is in that discussion.  This is a perfectly written mini-epic tune, featuring a gorgeous piano intro (that always strikes me as Neal Morse's attempt to do a "Firth of Fifth"-type intro), soaring vocal harmonies, a rad as hell acoustic section in the middle, and two epic endings (!!), the first being the fake-out before the real ending.  This song is just freaking killer.

"Chatauqua" is a short, nice, little acoustic guitar number, played, I believe, by Neal Morse.  Someone correct me if I am wrong.  It's a nice bridge between the two mini-epics.

The next mini-epic, "Walking on the Wind," features one of the more bad ass bass lines David Meros has ever laid down.  There is so much going on in this song that is wonderful, but I often find myself getting lost in the bass line when listening to this. Chris Squire was clearly a big influence on Meros, and nowhere is that more evident that in this song.  This is also one of the Beard's best overall tunes.

"Waste Away" is catchy as hell, and the hook appears to be in the keyboard main melody, not the vocals, not always an easy thing to pull off.  I think this song sometimes gets overlooked, which is a shame because it shows Neal Morse's ability to write insanely catchy melodies.  For as complicated and "out there" as prog can get, you still need good melodies, and this song shows that Neal could sing the phone book and it would sound awesome. :lol :lol

The final track, the 16-minute plus "Time Has Come," is a bit of a strange track, almost maniacal at times, but I find is strangely appealing.  It has some of the best melodies on this record, not to mention some goofy lyrics, but the vocal effect Neal uses on his voice for much of this song gives it a somewhat twisted feel, which I like a lot.  There is no other Beard song that sounds like this one, and Nick D'Virgilio's often-underrated drumming really shines through on this song.  His sense of timing and restraint and knowing when to let loose is really on display here.

Like The Light, I put Beware of Darkness in their top tier of records, and some days it is my number 1 album of theirs.  A phenomenal sophomore effort. :hat

Offline Mladen

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2015, 04:24:18 AM »
I absolutely love Thoughts and The Doorway, and Time has come is also pretty great, although I don't listen to it too often. The rest of the tracks are not as spectacular but not bad either. Not one of my favorite SB albums, but still very good.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2015, 07:01:28 AM »
Sneaking in a comment about the first record. I love The Light, I really like the way it sounds like a home demo, haha. Makes the quirky parts even more quirky. I must say that The Water is not my favorite SB long song, they have done way better afterwards. I like the main theme, the ending is great, but after listening to that song for 23 minutes I always get the impression that I've heard 10 minutes of music, and a lot of filler.

I've only just starting to really appreciate the two records after The Light. I've always liked a couple of tracks, but now the rest is starting to grow. I think the worst track on Beware of Darkness is Walking on the Wind, although that one is still catchy and rocking. (I'm not really counting Chatauqua btw, just an interlude to me) Favorite piece (of course) is The Doorway, what an epic track.

I've always been a NM-era SB fan, but starting to catch up on the rest. Stuff I own:
The Light (limited artwork collectors series)
Beware of Darkness
The Kindness of Strangers (reisssue)
The Beard is out There
From the Vault
Day for Night
Don't Try This At Home (CD and DVD)
V
Snow (regular and 3CD version)
The Making of Snow (DVD)
Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2015, 10:26:15 AM »
BoD was the first SB album I bought, about 2½ years ago now. My favourite songs are Thoughts, Waste Away and Time Has Come. I didn't realise until I bought it that the incredibly talented and much missed Kevin Gilbert mixed some of the songs. His influence is most notable in Walking on the Wind. The hi-hat/bass passage that introduces the vocals could have come straight from Toy Matinee.

Waste Away is their catchiest song, imo. I quite often have its chorus ringing in my head.

Even though it's not listed as a multi-movement piece, Time Has Come is clearly in four distinct sections. Not really imaginative, but I've given titles to these sections:

I. Time Has Come (0:00-7:44)
II. Cardboard People (7:44-11:18)
III. If You Leave (11:18-13:46)
IV. Time Has Come (reprise) (13:46-16:22)

Anyway, I'm a big fan of the song. One of my favourite SB 'epics'.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2015, 12:14:56 PM »
That If you leave bit is fantastic, classic Neal Morse.  :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2015, 12:40:04 PM »
I've never thought about it, but that does surprise me that Time Has Come doesn't have titles for the subsections, given that we know how much Neal loves to do that. :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2015, 02:32:39 PM »
I've never thought about it, but that does surprise me that Time Has Come doesn't have titles for the subsections, given that we know how much Neal loves to do that. :lol

Beware Of Darkness is one of the few prog albums that Neal has been on (not counting things like Flying Colors, really, just SB, solo prog and TA) that hasn't had a multi-part song, with The Grand Experiment being one of the others. All of the TA albums have multi-part songs, and conceptual albums like both Testimony albums, ? and Snow could be considered collections of songs in suites, or in the case of the Testimony albums, they're all in 8 total parts across 3 discs.

Even in recent years, Neal has written LONG epics without movements, like "Seeds Of Gold" and "Alive Again", which always made me wonder WHY they didn't have separate sections when they totally sound like they do. I guess Neal didn't feel like coming up with them at the time! :lol

Beware Of Darkness was initially, and still is, one of my all-time favorite SB albums, and one of my favorite albums PERIOD. Every track is unique, but stands strong as a great representation of what the Beard means and does, at least to me. They took the best bits of their debut and refined them into more concise, tighter ideas with catchy hooks and impressive chops, creating some of the best classic SB tunes out there, including "Thoughts", "The Doorway" and "Waste Away".

The Gentle Giant influences flourished, as well as Yes and Genesis, and it seemed like they were taking their idols ideas and tweaking them to their own tastes, creating something that was fresh at the time, and still is to these ears. In fact, my last girlfriend grew to LOVE this album, out of all of the 6 Morse-Era SB albums I played for her, and she still loves it to this day several years later, and she's not really in to prog at all! I guess the album has enough pop sensibilities to appeal to non-prog audiences while still retaining what SB does as a prog band. Then again, Neal has always, and will eventually become one of the best prog-pop writers in modern prog. His ability to craft catchy choruses and hooks and combine them with expert performances creates a seamless bond of prog and pop, and sometimes metal and jazz!

As stated before, everyone on this album is on fire, and it felt like they had something to prove after their debut, and they definitely proved it. It's not often that a great debut is followed up by an equally great, if not greater sophomore effort, but Neal and company definitely offered up something that stands up to The Light.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 08:32:21 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2015, 10:49:07 PM »
Having listened to both this week, I think I can safely say that I like Beware of Darkness a bit more than The Light. Both are terrific albums, but BoD is the better of the two, IMO.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2015, 01:43:05 AM »
For me Beware of Darkness is a good follow-up effort but it doesn’t quite reach up to The Light. Ranking the albums, BoD would be more in the lower tier. That said this album isn’t bad at all, it only shows how strong their whole discography is.

The title track is nice but doesn’t really grab me and I’ve yet to hear Harrison’s original.

Thoughts is also nice, but I think the multi-part harmonies are better in other songs (my favorite is Part 2). For me, here the different vocal parts don’t really flow together.

Then we have the absolute fabulous The Doorway. One oft he best songs ever written. The intro, the melodies, the chorus etc. everything is just perfect.

Chatauqua is a nice interlude but nothing to write home about. And I also believe that this is played by Neal and not Alan.

Walking on the Wind is another great song. Like Kev already mentioned this has a great bass-line and Dave Meros is clearly influenced by Chris Squire, but he also has the funk of the likes of Tower of Power, he's just so versatile and so groovy.

Waste Away has a catchy keyboard melody and is a nice written pop song which features one of my favorite lyrics line (as I mentioned prematurly in The Light discussion).

And then we have the final epic: Time Has Come. This is also nice but doesn’t come close to the likes of The Light or The Water, in fact, for me it is one oft he „weaker“ epics to close out an album.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2015, 02:39:18 AM »
"Thoughts" began the Thoughts series of songs (which has seen parts 1, 2, 3 and 5 so far; where is 4?? :Lol).

I believe Neal Morse deliberately named Thoughts (Part 5) that way, so that the guys in Spock's Beard would have the room for a Part Four if they ever want to do that.
Squ

Offline Mladen

« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2015, 03:38:47 AM »
Which one is part 3? Afterthoughts?

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2015, 04:54:17 AM »
Until they fill it (if ever they do), I think of Thoughts, Pt. 4 as a blank space for us to each fill with our own Thoughts.

(However, if they did write a Part 4, then surely "Forethought" would be the title.)

Which one is part 3? Afterthoughts?

Yes. "By the way, on third thought, you shouldn't open that box I sent ya".

Offline Mladen

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2015, 11:47:10 AM »
Oh yeah, I never got that particular reference! That's great.  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2015, 02:12:25 PM »
Great, great album.  A worthy follow-up to The Light.  Lots of great tuneage on this album all killer, no filler (which I can't say about all SB albums).

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2015, 11:19:03 AM »
Can't remember exactly where it landed during my SB discovery period... probably 3rd or 4th.  Stellar album, anchored by The Doorway.  God-tier song there.  I'd put this one in the top tier of my SB albums, but towards the bottom... so overall, middle of the road.  I think the final 3 songs are under-rated, and often overlooked due to the awesomeness of The Doorway.  Really enjoy those three tracks.