Author Topic: Spock's Beard Discography thread  (Read 111404 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Spock's Beard Discography thread - v. Noise Floor (2018)
« Reply #980 on: April 03, 2021, 08:01:59 PM »

Wasn't SB formed in 1992?

Not sure, but it's silliness to celebrate anniversaries of when the band was formed.  Most bands do anniversaries from the year of their first album, just like most married couples celebrate the anniversary of the day they got married, not the day they started dating.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #981 on: April 04, 2021, 01:13:20 AM »

Not sure, but it's silliness to celebrate anniversaries of when the band was formed.  Most bands do anniversaries from the year of their first album, just like most married couples celebrate the anniversary of the day they got married, not the day they started dating.

Unless you're Dream Theater, who celebrates 1985 as their start, not 1989 (unless your JLB, who I believe once said the band started then in reference to how long they've been around/when they were celebrating a certain anniversary).

Either way, I do agree it is generally accepted that band's should celebrate anniversaries based on the release year of their debut, which would be January of 1995 in Spock's Beard's case.

Any sort of SB30 celebration is still 4 years off, but Beware Of Darkness turned 25 a couple of months ago, and SB9 will turn 15 in November.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #982 on: April 04, 2021, 06:38:46 AM »
I agree. As far as us, the public, are concerned, a band debuts when they release their first album and become relevant on a public level, outside of their own inner circle.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #983 on: April 04, 2021, 08:04:59 AM »

SB was formed by Neal and Alan Morse in 1992.

Many, if not all, long term bands celebrate the anniversary of their formation. Bands are like companies, they don't celebrate the first year they made profits, they celebrate their beginning, their existence; and the fact that they became successful eventually to be able to have anniversaries celebrations.

If it takes becoming relevant on a public level outside of an inner circle, then Spock's Beard are still at year 0.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #984 on: April 04, 2021, 08:50:43 AM »

Many, if not all, long term bands celebrate the anniversary of their formation. Bands are like companies, they don't celebrate the first year they made profits, they celebrate their beginning, their existence; and the fact that they became successful eventually to be able to have anniversaries celebrations.

If it takes becoming relevant on a public level outside of an inner circle, then Spock's Beard are still at year 0.

This is the way I see it too. Some bands gig for years before being able to release their debut album, so those years don't count at all? Makes no sense.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #985 on: April 04, 2021, 09:04:34 AM »

Eh, Rush, who was initially formed in the late 60's, did two anniversary tours, the first of which was the 30th in 2004 (their first album was 1974), and the second of which was the 40th in 2015 (40 years since the first album with Neil).

I think, in most cases, bands who did it the way DT did like to jump the gun and do anniversary shows as early as possible as it helps sell concert tickets, so it is probably more a business decision than anything.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #986 on: April 04, 2021, 09:13:24 AM »

Eh, Rush, who was initially formed in the late 60's, did two anniversary tours, the first of which was the 30th in 2004 (their first album was 1974), and the second of which was the 40th in 2015 (40 years since the first album with Neil).

I think, in most cases, bands who did it the way DT did like to jump the gun and do anniversary shows as early as possible as it helps sell concert tickets, so it is probably more a business decision than anything.

You're probably right about the business side of celebrating anniversaries, but look at Iron Maiden or Grateful Dead, they celebrated their 45th and 50th anniversaries, on the anniversaries of their original formation (with a T shirt, and a short tour, respectively). Phish celebrated their 30th in 2013, though their first album didn't come out for years after they formed, and it was almost 10 years before their major label debut. Metallica celebrated in 2011, even though their first album came out 2 years after they formed, and to some, they were just an underground band until 1989 or 1991. Frank Zappa celebrated the Mothers of Invention 10 year anniversary in 1974, even though their first album didn't come out until 1966. I think Rush chose to honor their first two albums rather than their formation of a band as a whole, since 1/3 of the band wasn't there during those early years, being a trio and all. A little different for the other bands who had many more members found, stick around, and/or leave and/or come back.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #987 on: April 04, 2021, 11:57:49 AM »
I don't think SB has *ever* celebrated an anniversary with a tour. The closest thing they've done is release The First Twenty Years, releasing in 2015, which says to me that they celebrate their debut rather than their formation. Granted, the compilation album was titled as such because it focused on their first 20 years of released music, but IIRC, I think Neal had written much of The Light (the album) in the years preceding its release, so that material (and perhaps material in later albums) had been around in Neal's demos for years before SB's debut.

But I agree with Kev, I think when bands celebrate their formation rather than their debut, it's probably a marketing decision to get tickets out for an anniversary tour, especially if the band was around for years before their debut. It makes getting out there as a special tour come around a lot sooner.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #988 on: April 04, 2021, 05:09:54 PM »
I just see Neal reuniting with SB on an entire new album released 30 years after he and his brother formed the band, as a good excuse to do so. It's not like these guys formed the band when they were in their teens or 20s.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #989 on: April 06, 2021, 12:37:14 PM »
Never say "never"  :corn

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #990 on: April 06, 2021, 01:42:21 PM »
Please please please please please
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #991 on: April 06, 2021, 02:17:05 PM »
Even if Nick isn't able to do it due to other commitments and they use Mike Thorne or get Jimmy back, an SB reunion with Neal would be all kinds of amazing. Just don't get rid of Ted.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #992 on: April 06, 2021, 02:53:42 PM »
I thought that the Snow reunion concert was supposed to scratch that itch for us. However, I guess people are still waiting for a real reunion.  ;D

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #993 on: April 06, 2021, 02:54:46 PM »
As prolific as Neal Morse is, I'll bet he can bring an entire album's worth of demos into a recording session tomorrow  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #994 on: April 06, 2021, 03:10:50 PM »
Even if Nick isn't able to do it due to other commitments and they use Mike Thorne or get Jimmy back, an SB reunion with Neal would be all kinds of amazing. Just don't get rid of Ted.

Not that a Neal return wouldn't be great, because it would, but it would feel a bit hollow without Nick.  Not that I wouldn't be all over it either way, just thinking/typing out loud. ;)

Offline HOF

« Reply #995 on: April 06, 2021, 03:21:12 PM »

Not that a Neal return wouldn't be great, because it would, but it would feel a bit hollow without Nick.  Not that I wouldn't be all over it either way, just thinking/typing out loud. ;)

Just judging by Nick's social media activity over the last year, I'd be shocked if a Spock's Beard reunion happened without him. He still seems to have a lot of enthusiasm for the band and their music. Yeah, he has other commitments, but I don't see a reunion album or even a tour being that big of a commitment, especially if Neal or the others are the main writers, Ted is the main vocalist, and he's mostly just doing the drums and contributing the odd vocal. It's not like the band is going to do a huge long tour. Maybe a handful of shows in the US and another in Europe.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #996 on: April 06, 2021, 07:08:03 PM »
I think covid times have created a unique situation where a new album can have Neal and Nick participating full time, since no one is touring. I mean, Neal's newest album was made while Portnoy and George were at home, not sure why Nick couldn't also get involved in new SB.

Offline HOF

« Reply #997 on: May 08, 2021, 08:28:36 AM »
So I picked up a physical copy of Spock's Beard (self-titled/9) for the first time a few weeks ago. I was already somewhat familiar with it from having streamed it, but never was able to track one down since it's been out of print for a while.

Anyway, I've got a new appreciation for this one now. I think it might be my second favorite of the Nick era behind Feel Euphoria even. The production is stellar (Nick's drum sound is outstanding), and while there are a couple songs I could totally do without (Is This Love? and Wherever You Stand) there are some really great moments on this one. An a Perfect Day isn't a favorite, but it's a decent SB track. Skeleton's at the Feast is one I never liked before, but the middle section and ending are really great. I even really like Sometimes They Stay, Sometimes They Go now (Al's voice doesn't bother me. I kind of dig it). Hereafter is a nice piano ballad that shows off both Nick and Ryo's talents.

But the big highlights for me are All That's Left, With Your Kiss*, The Slow Crash Landing Man, As Far As The Mind Can See, and Rearranged. Al is absolutely on fire throughout this album, but he has some really great solos on these tracks, especially All That's Left and With Your Kiss. The asterisk on With Your Kiss is because I really hate that the song has a second section after the guitar solo and doesn't come back to that groove in the opening section at all. They could have ended it there and it would have been a wonderful pop song, instead it's an ok prop epic (the second section is pretty cool, but the ending doesn't live up to the beginning section). The Slow Crash Landing Man is another great Nick vocal moment, and I love the synth and guitar solos. Rearranged is a fun rocker to close.

The real star of this album is As Far As The Mind Can See. This might be my favorite post-Neal SB epic and honestly might be up there with songs like At The End of the Day and The Great Nothing. There's a bit of a kitchen sink approach to it, but I love all of it. Nick's drum performance is amazing. When the song slows down and you get that kind of Bonham type groove to kick off They Know We Know - that's the stuff. Just a delightful track.

This album definitely could have been a couple tracks shorter and been better. I could even see leaving off Sometimes They Stay or Skeletons at the Feast. But I do think it's a really good effort all around.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #998 on: May 08, 2021, 02:07:22 PM »
I agree with you about the mix, which has consistently been pretty great with Spock's since V, but I have no beef with On a Perfect Day, Skeletons at the Feast or With Your Kiss, all of which are major keepers. I have little to no use for the rest of the album.  It's not awful or anything, but it all just seems kind of there.  The performances are great, of course, but the songs just aren't memorable at all, IMO.

Offline HOF

« Reply #999 on: May 08, 2021, 02:20:34 PM »
I agree with you about the mix, which has consistently been pretty great with Spock's since V, but I have no beef with On a Perfect Day, Skeletons at the Feast or With Your Kiss, all of which are major keepers. I have little to no use for the rest of the album.  It's not awful or anything, but it all just seems kind of there.  The performances are great, of course, but the songs just aren't memorable at all, IMO.

There’s really too much material on it. It’s 77 minutes and 14 tracks long (granted 4 of those make up one epic). If you could cut it down to the best 60 minutes or so I think it would go down better.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1000 on: May 08, 2021, 10:31:11 PM »
So I picked up a physical copy of Spock's Beard (self-titled/9) for the first time a few weeks ago. I was already somewhat familiar with it from having streamed it, but never was able to track one down since it's been out of print for a while.

Anyway, I've got a new appreciation for this one now. I think it might be my second favorite of the Nick era behind Feel Euphoria even. The production is stellar (Nick's drum sound is outstanding), and while there are a couple songs I could totally do without (Is This Love? and Wherever You Stand) there are some really great moments on this one. An a Perfect Day isn't a favorite, but it's a decent SB track. Skeleton's at the Feast is one I never liked before, but the middle section and ending are really great. I even really like Sometimes They Stay, Sometimes They Go now (Al's voice doesn't bother me. I kind of dig it). Hereafter is a nice piano ballad that shows off both Nick and Ryo's talents.

But the big highlights for me are All That's Left, With Your Kiss*, The Slow Crash Landing Man, As Far As The Mind Can See, and Rearranged. Al is absolutely on fire throughout this album, but he has some really great solos on these tracks, especially All That's Left and With Your Kiss. The asterisk on With Your Kiss is because I really hate that the song has a second section after the guitar solo and doesn't come back to that groove in the opening section at all. They could have ended it there and it would have been a wonderful pop song, instead it's an ok prop epic (the second section is pretty cool, but the ending doesn't live up to the beginning section). The Slow Crash Landing Man is another great Nick vocal moment, and I love the synth and guitar solos. Rearranged is a fun rocker to close.

The real star of this album is As Far As The Mind Can See. This might be my favorite post-Neal SB epic and honestly might be up there with songs like At The End of the Day and The Great Nothing. There's a bit of a kitchen sink approach to it, but I love all of it. Nick's drum performance is amazing. When the song slows down and you get that kind of Bonham type groove to kick off They Know We Know - that's the stuff. Just a delightful track.

This album definitely could have been a couple tracks shorter and been better. I could even see leaving off Sometimes They Stay or Skeletons at the Feast. But I do think it's a really good effort all around.

That's my favorite Nick era album. More focused than the previous ones I think and I also think they reached a comfort level at that point.

Offline DTA

« Reply #1001 on: May 09, 2021, 05:06:00 AM »
I just can't stand the way they broke up every epic on the first 3 Nick albums. I wonder if they were purposely trying to "appear" more mainstream by having shorter track times in order to maybe gain some kind of crossover recognition.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1002 on: May 09, 2021, 07:40:40 AM »
I just can't stand the way they broke up every epic on the first 3 Nick albums. I wonder if they were purposely trying to "appear" more mainstream by having shorter track times in order to maybe gain some kind of crossover recognition.

It could have been an order from Inside Out to release the albums that way, but that's just speculation.

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1003 on: May 09, 2021, 08:04:48 AM »
Eh, I think calling some of these suites epics is a bit generous.  A Flash Before My Eyes is similar to The Healing Colors of Sound in that it is a bunch of songs that make up a suite rather than a single song.  Call it semantics, but I have never thought of A Flash Before My Eyes as one song.

Offline DTA

« Reply #1004 on: May 09, 2021, 08:15:50 AM »
Eh, I think calling some of these suites epics is a bit generous.  A Flash Before My Eyes is similar to The Healing Colors of Sound in that it is a bunch of songs that make up a suite rather than a single song.  Call it semantics, but I have never thought of A Flash Before My Eyes as one song.

I feel like the terms are interchangeable when talking about prog songs, but I agree they're less "epic-ish" and more a collection of adjoined songs. Healing Colours feels more like a legit epic with the reprise of My Shoes whereas the others don't really revisit any sections (I think - it's been awhile). Every Rush epic feels like a suite since a lot of sections have a definite start/stop point, but the term epic is still applied to them.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1005 on: May 09, 2021, 08:17:59 AM »
I think an epic can be a suite, but not all suites are epics.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1006 on: May 09, 2021, 10:18:47 AM »

Yeah, I think of it more like a mini concept album within the album. But I also don’t think of SDOIT as one epic song either.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1007 on: May 09, 2021, 10:19:34 AM »

I suspect it had to do with downloading revenue more than anything.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1008 on: May 12, 2021, 11:35:03 AM »
Nick has shared another SB cover, this time from the debut album, the closing song "On The Edge"!

https://youtu.be/uuRPz7isFfY

From Facebook, Nick says:
Here is another in my series of learning songs by ear only and recording what I've learned. This song comes off the 𝗦𝗽𝗼𝗰𝗸’𝘀 𝗕𝗲𝗮𝗿𝗱 debut record ‘𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗟𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁”, released back in 1995.

In case you have not seen any of the other videos I have done like this let me explain: when I grew up and started learning how to play, I would put on records and listen. Even though drums were my first instrument I was always intrigued by all of the other parts too, so I tried to learn them. Of course, some songs are easier than others, but it is great ear training.

When 𝗦𝗽𝗼𝗰𝗸'𝘀 𝗕𝗲𝗮𝗿𝗱 celebrated the 20th anniversary of our record "𝗩" I decided to give a try to recording one of the songs myself, doing my best to learn the parts as closely as I could. I'm not trying to recreate what 𝗔𝗹, 𝗗𝗮𝘃𝗲, 𝗥𝘆𝗼 or 𝗡𝗲𝗮𝗹 did. There is no way I ever could. For instance, in this song the fast riff that comes in right after the opening mellow vocal section must’ve been written by 𝗡𝗲𝗮𝗹 on keys because it is fairly easy to play. On guitar it is not that bad, but on bass guitar... let's just say that I did it 100 times before I got it right.

I'm making these videos and recording these songs for my education, ear training, to celebrate 𝗦𝗽𝗼𝗰𝗸'𝘀 𝗕𝗲𝗮𝗿𝗱’s music ( although I'm planning on branching out from 𝗦𝗽𝗼𝗰𝗸'𝘀 eventually – any suggestions? ) and to point out how important and good for your health ( I'm being serious ) it is to sit down and listen to music. I mean really listen. Learning in school or with a private teacher is fantastic and a part of becoming a good musician. But so is listening and trying to figure out what you are hearing. The more you do it then the better you get at it too. Put the two together and you could have something very special. The icing on the cake is that it is super fun to do.

#NDV #NickDVirgilio #SpocksBeard #Listening #Learning #EarTraining #ProgressiveRock #PlayMusic #ProgRock #TheLight #OnTheEdge

A very good rendition of the song! Nick has a lot of love for the SB material, and if the band ever come back for a new album and/or tour, I hope he can rejoin them!

-Marc.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1009 on: May 12, 2021, 11:37:25 AM »
Nick has shared another SB cover, this time from the debut album, the closing song "On The Edge"!

Here is another in my series of learning songs by ear only and recording what I've learned. This song comes off the 𝗦𝗽𝗼𝗰𝗸’𝘀 𝗕𝗲𝗮𝗿𝗱 debut record ‘𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗟𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁”, released back in 1995.

In case you have not seen any of the other videos I have done like this let me explain: when I grew up and started learning how to play, I would put on records and listen. Even though drums were my first instrument I was always intrigued by all of the other parts too, so I tried to learn them. Of course, some songs are easier than others, but it is great ear training.

When 𝗦𝗽𝗼𝗰𝗸'𝘀 𝗕𝗲𝗮𝗿𝗱 celebrated the 20th anniversary of our record "𝗩" I decided to give a try to recording one of the songs myself, doing my best to learn the parts as closely as I could. I'm not trying to recreate what 𝗔𝗹, 𝗗𝗮𝘃𝗲, 𝗥𝘆𝗼 or 𝗡𝗲𝗮𝗹 did. There is no way I ever could. For instance, in this song the fast riff that comes in right after the opening mellow vocal section must’ve been written by 𝗡𝗲𝗮𝗹 on keys because it is fairly easy to play. On guitar it is not that bad, but on bass guitar... let's just say that I did it 100 times before I got it right.

I'm making these videos and recording these songs for my education, ear training, to celebrate 𝗦𝗽𝗼𝗰𝗸'𝘀 𝗕𝗲𝗮𝗿𝗱’s music ( although I'm planning on branching out from 𝗦𝗽𝗼𝗰𝗸'𝘀 eventually – any suggestions? ) and to point out how important and good for your health ( I'm being serious ) it is to sit down and listen to music. I mean really listen. Learning in school or with a private teacher is fantastic and a part of becoming a good musician. But so is listening and trying to figure out what you are hearing. The more you do it then the better you get at it too. Put the two together and you could have something very special. The icing on the cake is that it is super fun to do.

#NDV #NickDVirgilio #SpocksBeard #Listening #Learning #EarTraining #ProgressiveRock #PlayMusic #ProgRock #TheLight #OnTheEdge

A very good rendition of the song! Nick has a lot of love for the SB material, and if the band ever come back for a new album and/or tour, I hope he can rejoin them!

-Marc.

it’s an odd situation becaue like you said Nick clearly seems to have lot of love for this music and for the guys in the band…but… a few years ago when they did Noise Floor he had the opportunity to rejoin the band and he choose not to do it. 

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #1010 on: May 12, 2021, 11:46:14 AM »

-Marc.

:tup

Nick is amazing!!

Offline DTA

« Reply #1011 on: May 12, 2021, 02:29:24 PM »

-Marc.

Nick is such an awesome dude and I really enjoy these videos. I'm hoping to see him tackle Revelation at some point since he's picking obscure songs.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1012 on: May 12, 2021, 09:32:12 PM »

-Marc.

Saw this posted on Facebook this morning but just now got a chance to check it out. This was amazing. Probably sounds better than the original! Nick is the man.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1013 on: July 07, 2021, 10:19:59 AM »
I listened to Octane this past weekend. What a great and underrated album!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1014 on: July 07, 2021, 11:11:47 AM »
I listened to Octane this past weekend. What a great and underrated album!

I'd say SB is a great and underrated band!