Author Topic: Spock's Beard Discography thread  (Read 111952 times)

Offline Fritzinger

Re: Spock's Beard Discography thread - v. Noise Floor (2018)
« Reply #840 on: February 12, 2021, 09:35:21 AM »
My own hot take is that I often see people talking about Day for Night as one of the weakest Neal-era albums, but I got it recently and think it might be one of my favorites.

I'm one of those people. I think it's the weakest album Neal wrote between SB and his prog work since he left SB.

I love Day for Night, but it does have a little bit of what seems like filler. I don’t care for Gibberish or The Gypsy so much, even though I know the counterpoint vocal thing on Gibberish is a bit of a trademark. I also think Crack the Big Sky goes on a little too long, though I do like it. But the title track, Skin, Distance to the Sun, and The Healing Colors of Sound are all favorites. The ending of My Shoes (Revisited) is one of my favorite guitar solos ever.

Interesting, I think Gypsy and Gibberish are two of the album's best songs. Gibberish is the better Mouth Of Madness in my opinion. And it has a killer drum solo.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline darkshade

« Reply #841 on: February 12, 2021, 10:09:17 AM »
My own hot take is that I often see people talking about Day for Night as one of the weakest Neal-era albums, but I got it recently and think it might be one of my favorites.

I'm one of those people. I think it's the weakest album Neal wrote between SB and his prog work since he left SB.

I love Day for Night, but it does have a little bit of what seems like filler. I don’t care for Gibberish or The Gypsy so much, even though I know the counterpoint vocal thing on Gibberish is a bit of a trademark. I also think Crack the Big Sky goes on a little too long, though I do like it. But the title track, Skin, Distance to the Sun, and The Healing Colors of Sound are all favorites. The ending of My Shoes (Revisited) is one of my favorite guitar solos ever.

I'm willing to give it another shot.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #842 on: February 12, 2021, 10:20:32 AM »
I actually really like Day for night.  Although if you lined up Morse era SB it'd be botton of the pack.

still i enjoy

The Title song
Gibberish
Distance to the Sun
Crack the Sky
and The whole Healing Colors of Sound (wish he'd bring this back live)

But yea it sandwiched between too much better albums

Online HOF

« Reply #843 on: February 12, 2021, 10:23:08 AM »
I actually really like Day for night.  Although if you lined up Morse era SB it'd be botton of the pack.

still i enjoy

The Title song
Gibberish
Distance to the Sun
Crack the Sky
and The whole Healing Colors of Sound (wish he'd bring this back live)

But yea it sandwiched between too much better albums

Yeah, I think that’s fair. It’s outshined a bit by Kindness of Strangers and V. Kindness of Strangers to me is the one SB album without a single weak track. I love that album.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #844 on: February 12, 2021, 11:04:51 AM »

I love it. The title track is in my head most of the time, and has been for years.

Lay It Down is my favourite songs ever and the Healing Colors suite is great all over, in my book.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #845 on: February 12, 2021, 11:13:57 AM »
I'm in the middle of a Day for Night spin as i type.

The first 5 tracks on it are really REALLY good.  than Gypsy and Can't get It Wrong i can leave.

Healing Colors of Sound is playing now (Specifically the Mommy section)  and this rocks.

it's honestly not a bad album at all.

Online HOF

« Reply #846 on: February 12, 2021, 11:19:21 AM »

The first 5 tracks on it are really REALLY good.  than Gypsy and Can't get It Wrong i can leave.

Healing Colors of Sound is playing now (Specifically the Mommy section)  and this rocks.

I’m fond of Can’t Get it Wrong, but I can see it not doing much for someone. I always think of it as the intro to Healing Colors of Sound, even if it’s not officially. It feels like it should be.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #847 on: February 12, 2021, 11:29:40 AM »

I’m fond of Can’t Get it Wrong, but I can see it not doing much for someone. I always think of it as the intro to Healing Colors of Sound, even if it’s not officially. It feels like it should be.

Just finished up Healing Colors.  It really is an unsung SB epic.  The Alan outro solo is fantastic!!!

Online HOF

« Reply #848 on: February 12, 2021, 11:37:13 AM »

Just finished up Healing Colors.  It really is an unsung SB epic.  The Alan outro solo is fantastic!!!

I love that Al Morse solo so much. That sound he got is remarkable. He’s such an underrated player, who’s maybe overshadowed a bit by his brother’s notoriety. But he’s a modern prog great in his own right.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #849 on: February 12, 2021, 11:52:53 AM »
I really like the both post-Neal Morse eras. Personally, I have more fun listening to post-Neal Morse Spock's Beard than PSA and some recent records from the Neal Morse / NMB universe.

The two PSA records are good, but I think the three  last Spock's Beard records (with Ted) are much better.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #850 on: February 12, 2021, 12:14:15 PM »
I really like the both post-Neal Morse eras. Personally, I have more fun listening to post-Neal Morse Spock's Beard than PSA and some recent records from the Neal Morse / NMB universe.

The two PSA records are good, but I think the three  last Spock's Beard records (with Ted) are much better.

as a big Enchant fan.  i really love ted era SB.....all 3 albums.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #851 on: February 12, 2021, 12:20:52 PM »
I'm not very familiar with post-Neal SB, but I do own X, and I think it's pretty good (though I haven't listened to it in some time)
I really need to do some homework and check out the other albums, I've never been motivated to because of all the comparisons to Neal era SB and how nothing is as good after he left, according to many online. But like I said, X is pretty good, so it can't be that bad.

To me the trick to accepting and enjoying the post-Neal material, honestly, was to think of it as a different band.  That's why I always refer to them as SBv2.0 (Nick's Beard) and SBv2.1 (Ted's Beard).  Neal wrote all the music with the exception of 2 songs across the first 6 albums.  And he was the primary vocalist.  There was just no way they were going to be the same after Neal. 

If you go into it not expecting the original version of the band and think of it as a new, different band, I think it's just easier to swallow. 

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #852 on: February 12, 2021, 12:22:51 PM »
I've tried to like the PSA albums, especially since I started working with Jimmy a few months back, but they just don't register with me. 

Online HOF

« Reply #853 on: February 12, 2021, 12:39:44 PM »
I'm not very familiar with post-Neal SB, but I do own X, and I think it's pretty good (though I haven't listened to it in some time)
I really need to do some homework and check out the other albums, I've never been motivated to because of all the comparisons to Neal era SB and how nothing is as good after he left, according to many online. But like I said, X is pretty good, so it can't be that bad.

To me the trick to accepting and enjoying the post-Neal material, honestly, was to think of it as a different band.  That's why I always refer to them as SBv2.0 (Nick's Beard) and SBv2.1 (Ted's Beard).  Neal wrote all the music with the exception of 2 songs across the first 6 albums.  And he was the primary vocalist.  There was just no way they were going to be the same after Neal. 

If you go into it not expecting the original version of the band and think of it as a new, different band, I think it's just easier to swallow.

There’s definitely still some retained personality in the playing, as all of those guys have really distinctive sounds, but yeah, the songwriting changed quite a bit. You do have to accept that it’s not Neal’s band anymore, but the others are more than capable of making great music in a similar style as Neal era SB.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #854 on: February 12, 2021, 12:47:48 PM »
For me there is something to like on every album the band called "Spock's Beard" has recorded, but when I need a Spock's Beard fix 11 times out of 10 I'm going to reach for one of those first 6 albums.  Or, "The Beard is Out There" which has a live version of "The Light" that sounds better than the original recording.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #855 on: February 12, 2021, 01:08:32 PM »

To me the trick to accepting and enjoying the post-Neal material, honestly, was to think of it as a different band.  That's why I always refer to them as SBv2.0 (Nick's Beard) and SBv2.1 (Ted's Beard).  Neal wrote all the music with the exception of 2 songs across the first 6 albums.  And he was the primary vocalist. There was just no way they were going to be the same after Neal. 

Yes, certainly in terms of songwriting, they are not the same. But looking at it from the perspective of the last few years, I think it's a positive point for the music they produced. It is not exactly the same, it is not repetitive since day 1. My current problem with NM / NMB is just that, Neal is still the same.  :lol

I understand the point "when I need a SB I'm going to reach for one of those first 6 albums". I can say the same about Neal Morse: when I need NM music I'm going to SB (Neal era), Testimony, One, Question Mark, Sola Scriptura, Transatlantic, etc. I don't need Sola Gratia, JCTE or NMB albums.

(But I end up listening to these records anyway   :rollin)

Online HOF

« Reply #856 on: February 12, 2021, 01:10:27 PM »

To me the trick to accepting and enjoying the post-Neal material, honestly, was to think of it as a different band.  That's why I always refer to them as SBv2.0 (Nick's Beard) and SBv2.1 (Ted's Beard).  Neal wrote all the music with the exception of 2 songs across the first 6 albums.  And he was the primary vocalist. There was just no way they were going to be the same after Neal. 

Yes, certainly in terms of songwriting, they are not the same. But looking at it from the perspective of the last few years, I think it's a positive point for the music they produced. It is not exactly the same, it is not repetitive since day 1. My current problem with NM / NMB is just that, Neal is still the same.  :lol

I understand the point "when I need a SB I'm going to reach for one of those first 6 albums". I can say the same about Neal Morse: when I need NM music I'm going to SB (Neal era), Testimony, One, Question Mark, Sola Scriptura, Transatlantic, etc. I don't need Sola Gratia, JCTE or NMB albums.

(But I end up listening to these records anyway   :rollin)

Yeah, I will also say I prefer the post Neal SB output to Neal’s post-SB output. So it all works out!

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #857 on: February 12, 2021, 01:41:06 PM »
you know i said all i said about Neal becoming repetitive.  but.....i'll still take his stuff over about 90 percent of 70's acts newer stuff honestly, lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #858 on: February 12, 2021, 06:43:55 PM »
you know i said all i said about Neal becoming repetitive.  but.....i'll still take his stuff over about 90 percent of 70's acts newer stuff honestly, lol

I will as well, and while he will never be as heralded as the original bands of the genre, he wipes the floor with most of them when it comes to longevity AND quality.  Think of how many of those original acts blew their wad when it came to high quality music in 5-7 years, while here we are over 25 years later and Neal is still spitting out good prog stuff like he wakes up and it's just there and ready for him to record (which I think probably happens :lol).

Online HOF

« Reply #859 on: February 12, 2021, 06:54:46 PM »

I will as well, and while he will never be as heralded as the original bands of the genre, he wipes the floor with most of them when it comes to longevity AND quality.  Think of how many of those original acts blew their wad when it came to high quality music in 5-7 years, while here we are over 25 years later and Neal is still spitting out good prog stuff like he wakes up and it's just there and ready for him to record (which I think probably happens :lol).

You know, I really think Neal and Spock’s Beard are unfairly slagged as being derivative of 70s prog. Does he take cues from that period? Absolutely. Is he a carbon copy of Yes or Genesis or Kansas, not really. Listening back through some early SB this week reminded me of how cool and unique that band really was. They had a Beatles-esque pop edge and even a bit of a 90s rock edge at times. They also had kind of a 70s singer/songwriter vibe at times. They were their own melting pot of sounds and styles including classic prog, but they were literally one of only a handful of acts even incorporating that style at a time when the genre was otherwise on life support.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #860 on: February 12, 2021, 08:14:11 PM »

You know, I really think Neal and Spock’s Beard are unfairly slagged as being derivative of 70s prog. Does he take cues from that period? Absolutely. Is he a carbon copy of Yes or Genesis or Kansas, not really. Listening back through some early SB this week reminded me of how cool and unique that band really was. They had a Beatles-esque pop edge and even a bit of a 90s rock edge at times. They also had kind of a 70s singer/songwriter vibe at times. They were their own melting pot of sounds and styles including classic prog, but they were literally one of only a handful of acts even incorporating that style at a time when the genre was otherwise on life support.

you know what i love about neal Era SB......and i may get shot here.  but i believe Neal's retro prog has a sense of fun that i rarely find in those oh so artsy 70's acts.

and i LOVE the first wave, BTW

Online HOF

« Reply #861 on: February 12, 2021, 08:36:30 PM »

you know what i love about neal Era SB......and i may get shot here.  but i believe Neal's retro prog has a sense of fun that i rarely find in those oh so artsy 70's acts.

and i LOVE the first wave, BTW

Yeah, the overall aesthetic was so different. More fun or more exuberant or more joyful. Most of the 70s prog bands were British so maybe that’s the big difference. There are times I think SB sound more like Kansas than the UK prog acts. But also the production values and style was modern (for the time). It’s not like their sound was really stuck in the 70s at all. I still think a band like Porcupine Tree hugged the sound and style of the 70s prog bands more closely than Spock’s Beard did in the 90s.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #862 on: February 13, 2021, 08:38:56 AM »
I agree with you guys.  While the influences are pretty clear when you listen to Neal era Spock's Beard, they sound still sound their own thing, not a derivative knockoff, and I totally agree that they had the fun factor that you rarely got from the original bands of the genre.  I also think it helps that Spock's has always had a very American production (more wall of sound than that airy European sound, if you get my meaning), so they sonically didn't sound like any of the original prog bands of the late 60's and 70's except maybe Kansas at times.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #863 on: February 13, 2021, 08:45:36 AM »
Than you go and watch ANY Neal era show.  the guy was magnetic.  for all his personal problems he was having.  every show was fun as hell.  Most of those 70's acts were so bland in comparison.  i mean taking out Gabriel tony banks had the stage personality of a wet mop, lol talented bands all but too stoic for me most times.  but hey i come from theater, lol

then watch Ryo......damn infectious. he's having so much fun up there.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #864 on: February 13, 2021, 08:53:19 AM »
Than you go and watch ANY Neal era show.  the guy was magnetic.  for all his personal problems he was having.  every show was fun as hell.  Most of those 70's acts were so bland in comparison.  i mean taking out Gabriel tony banks had the stage personality of a wet mop, lol talented bands all but too stoic for me most times.  but hey i come from theater, lol

So true.

I will never get the prog fans, and make no mistake about it that there are some like this, who want to go to a show and sit their quietly and watch the band just stand there and play their instruments proficiently (and inevitably come to the internet to bitch when the guitarist played the one note wrong in the one solo).  Concerts are supposed to be fun!  Granted, we all have our own idea of what is fun, and if fun to some is to just sit there and stare at the fingers of the players the whole show, more power to 'em. 

Note: this is not a standing vs sitting at concerts take. ;)   I can still have fun and enjoy the heck out of a concert while sitting for the bulk of it, which is preferable at 47. :lol :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #865 on: February 13, 2021, 09:11:41 AM »
I am one of those, and always have been.  I go to a concert to hear the music performed live, by my favorite musicians.  Maybe it's my background in classical music, or maybe it's just that personally I'm boring as fuck, but I don't give a damn about the "show" or the "fun factor".  I'll sit quietly and enjoy a great musical performance, whether it's classical, jazz, rock and roll, or anything else.  I'll sit quietly and enjoy a great performance of music I don't even like.  The people around me standing up and screaming... I wish they'd just sit down and shut the fuck up.  I'm trying to hear the music.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #866 on: February 13, 2021, 09:12:31 AM »

So true.

I will never get the prog fans, and make no mistake about it that there are some like this, who want to go to a show and sit their quietly and watch the band just stand there and play their instruments proficiently (and inevitably come to the internet to bitch when the guitarist played the one note wrong in the one solo).  Concerts are supposed to be fun!  Granted, we all have our own idea of what is fun, and if fun to some is to just sit there and stare at the fingers of the players the whole show, more power to 'em. 

Note: this is not a standing vs sitting at concerts take. ;)   I can still have fun and enjoy the heck out of a concert while sitting for the bulk of it, which is preferable at 47. :lol :lol

well friend.  i have Cerebral Paley so i must sit :lol  so i get annoyed when people stand in my view at shows.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #867 on: February 13, 2021, 08:03:42 PM »
Ryo is working on his new solo album and posted an update on his Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/100053172201295/posts/227337365715335/

I was gonna post this in the main SB thread but it hasn't been updated since 2017, so I figured this was better.

-Marc.

Cool!  I hope it's fusion.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #868 on: February 13, 2021, 08:08:29 PM »

There is nothing quite like seeing that live. It's just stunning!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #869 on: February 13, 2021, 08:10:34 PM »
For me there is something to like on every album the band called "Spock's Beard" has recorded, but when I need a Spock's Beard fix 11 times out of 10 I'm going to reach for one of those first 6 albums.  Or, "The Beard is Out There" which has a live version of "The Light" that sounds better than the original recording.

First five for me or one of the live albums/DVDs from that period.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #870 on: February 13, 2021, 08:21:35 PM »

That band was amazing.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #871 on: February 13, 2021, 08:25:13 PM »
I am one of those, and always have been.  I go to a concert to hear the music performed live, by my favorite musicians.  Maybe it's my background in classical music, or maybe it's just that personally I'm boring as fuck, but I don't give a damn about the "show" or the "fun factor".  I'll sit quietly and enjoy a great musical performance, whether it's classical, jazz, rock and roll, or anything else.  I'll sit quietly and enjoy a great performance of music I don't even like.  The people around me standing up and screaming... I wish they'd just sit down and shut the fuck up.  I'm trying to hear the music.

Depends on the band. I'm right there with you for King Crimson, Carl Palmer or jazz-fusion.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #872 on: February 13, 2021, 08:34:38 PM »

I respect this.  I suspect that if I were a musician like you are, I might feel differently, but as a non-musician, I am there for the fun and to have a good time.  Don't get me wrong, there are many times where I focus on a musician for a solo or something, but other times it's just fun to endlessly rock!  I remember the Neal Morse Band tour where they did the medley in the encore and I couldn't tell you what the band was doing during the segment where they played The Conflict intro (and I was in the 1st row!!).  I was in full rock out mode.  :metal :metal

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #873 on: February 14, 2021, 02:25:30 AM »
I saw them on the FE tour in London and they were great to watch with Nick out in front too. Great fun.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #874 on: February 14, 2021, 02:57:10 AM »
I saw them on the FE tour in London and they were great to watch with Nick out in front too. Great fun.

Oh yeah, I saw them in 2008 with NDV fronting too. He was (is) a great frontman, very charismatic.

Edit: I forgot to mention: they played the whole Great Nothing. That opening choir chord had my friend (14 at the time) and me (15 at the time) looking at each other thinking "are they really gonna play this whole friggin song" and going completely nuts for the next 27 minutes in the first row.
any rock can be made to roll