Author Topic: Spock's Beard Discography thread  (Read 111407 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Spock's Beard Discography thread - v. Noise Floor (2018)
« Reply #665 on: January 11, 2020, 03:21:03 PM »
Waiting for Me and Ghosts of Autumn are definitely great solos as well. 

Offline HOF

« Reply #666 on: January 11, 2020, 04:12:19 PM »
Yes, Waiting for Me is pretty amazing too. He’s a very underrated guitarist, and it’s also a lot of fun to watch him play.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #667 on: January 12, 2020, 07:26:04 PM »
The guitar solo on My Shoes (Revisited) gets a vote from me for greatest guitar solo of all time. Not saying it is the greatest, but it’s up there with the best of them in my book. I’ve listened to a lot of guitar solos in my life, and it moves me like few others.

Might be the greatest.

It's even better live.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #668 on: January 14, 2020, 01:32:31 PM »
I've not properly paid attention to the solo in My Shoes (Revisited). Good excuse to spin all of Day for Night! Just starting Healing Colors of Sound now.

UPDATE: Can confirm, that is a stonking solo!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 04:52:17 AM by RoeDent »

Online Bentower

« Reply #669 on: January 15, 2020, 02:46:08 AM »
I've always felt that his solo during the 'Reach for the sky' section of The Water is pretty much perfect.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #670 on: January 15, 2020, 03:27:34 PM »
I've always felt that his solo during the 'Reach for the sky' section of The Water is pretty much perfect.

Ohhhh, that is a good one! I never think about that solo, but it is pretty sweet.  It's a shame that the FU section is in that song as I'd love to see it performed again some day by Neal, but I can't imagine that ever happening.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #671 on: January 16, 2020, 03:48:13 AM »

Ohhhh, that is a good one! I never think about that solo, but it is pretty sweet.  It's a shame that the FU section is in that song as I'd love to see it performed again some day by Neal, but I can't imagine that ever happening.

I'd love a full re-recording of The Light, because the sound is the main (and really only) problem of that album. But as you said, I don't think Neal will perform this part of the song again :D Not on stage, not in the studio...
any rock can be made to roll

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #672 on: January 16, 2020, 04:36:45 AM »
I think the sound of The Light is one of its charms. No debut album is perfectly polished.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #673 on: January 16, 2020, 07:43:16 PM »

I'd love a full re-recording of The Light, because the sound is the main (and really only) problem of that album. But as you said, I don't think Neal will perform this part of the song again :D Not on stage, not in the studio...

I actually like the sound of the first album, flawed as it might be at times.  It sounds very clear and crisp, and the instruments balance is just right.  I actually think it is easily the best-sounding of the first four Spock's records.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #674 on: January 17, 2020, 08:24:06 PM »
I've not properly paid attention to the solo in My Shoes (Revisited). Good excuse to spin all of Day for Night! Just starting Healing Colors of Sound now.

UPDATE: Can confirm, that is a stonking solo!

That solo demands attention.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #675 on: January 17, 2020, 08:29:14 PM »

Only live version exists on Official Live Bootleg, correct? (Although I guess these days all of that stuff is online.)

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #676 on: January 22, 2020, 08:12:43 AM »
SB9 is really growing on me now. I'm listening to As Far As the Mind Can See, and it's definitely reminding me of Edge of the In-Between. Maybe a bit less cohesive than that one, but it's the closest thing I can think of.

I especially love With Your Kiss! The drumming in the middle section (vibraslap!) is so much fun!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #677 on: January 24, 2020, 12:07:24 PM »
SB9 is really growing on me now. I'm listening to As Far As the Mind Can See, and it's definitely reminding me of Edge of the In-Between. Maybe a bit less cohesive than that one, but it's the closest thing I can think of.

I especially love With Your Kiss! The drumming in the middle section (vibraslap!) is so much fun!

Loved that album from the day it came out, but apparently I was one of the few.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #678 on: January 24, 2020, 01:20:29 PM »
Honestly, I've really enjoyed all the NDV-era albums. All have their unique quirks about them. Like, some of the songs I doubt would have been done like that under Morse's leadership, but that is what makes them unique among their discography. I'm at a point where it's pointless to compare them all now. I just enjoy the experience each and every album brings to my ears.

Offline HOF

« Reply #679 on: February 02, 2020, 02:49:50 PM »
I’ve pretty much decided Noise Floor is my favorite thing they’ve done since Neal left (though I’m still partial to Feel Euphoria). It’s got one of their strongest collection of songs and probably the best production on an SB album. Nick is in top form, and shows why he is (in my humble opinion) the best drummer in prog right now. They also seem to have a more solidified style and sound with Ted that sets this apart from what came before (ironically, I heard an interview with Ted where he said he’s the only one in the band who likes this album though). Ted’s voice is pretty much ageless. He sounds as good as ever on this. There are also some really nice guitar parts from Al.

The only thing that holds me back is several of the best tracks got relegated to the bonus CD. I would have dropped What Becomes of Me, Have We All Gone Crazy Yet, and Box of Spiders in favor of all 4 extra tracks (though I think everything fits on one disc). I just listened to the following playlist and I think it’s tremendous:

1. To Breath Another Day
2. Somebody’s Home
3. So This Is Life
4. One So Wise
5. Bulletproof
6. Vault
7. Armageddon Nervous
8. Days We’ll Remember
9. Beginnings

So This Is Life, Bulletproof, and Beginnings are some of my favorites, but I really like everything on that playlist.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #680 on: February 02, 2020, 02:57:16 PM »
Ted said he was the only one who liked Noise Floor?  Oof. I wonder if that doesn't bode well for the band continuing, as maybe they feel they have peaked and see no reason to make more music, given their ages and how little profit they make anyway.

I like Noise Floor, but I didn't get a lot of mileage out of it.  It was similar to the self-titled album in that regard.  Quite a contrast to albums like X, Brief Nocturnes and Feel Euphoria, all of which I had to have surgically removed from my CD player due to my constant listens.  :coolio

Offline HOF

« Reply #681 on: February 02, 2020, 04:38:12 PM »
Yeah, I thought that too. There were also comments about the Pattern Seeking Animals album being kind of an outlet for Boegehold’s material that SB didn’t want that made me wonder if maybe there is some tension there.

Offline HOF

« Reply #682 on: February 02, 2020, 04:58:45 PM »
Went back and found the interview. Drops the “I’m probably the only one in the band who likes Noise Floor” around 32:00 and discussed it a little.

http://beyondtheplaylist.libsyn.com/beyond-the-playlist-with-jhammondc-ted-leonard?fbclid=IwAR2DwaGlgjb-vusX3xz0T58xQqRzuK583-u3VT5os1KNKRv83z3f3o45jfs

That’s actually a pretty great interview that goes through Ted’s career from Enchant to today with some cool insights throughout. He mentions how Neal had initially wanted him to sing for Flying Colors but Mike had Casey in mind instead. Bummer, because FC with Ted would be on another level (Casey is fine but I really don’t love his voice).

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #683 on: February 02, 2020, 08:30:20 PM »
That’s actually a pretty great interview that goes through Ted’s career from Enchant to today with some cool insights throughout. He mentions how Neal had initially wanted him to sing for Flying Colors but Mike had Casey in mind instead. Bummer, because FC with Ted would be on another level (Casey is fine but I really don’t love his voice).

Oh, I agree. Casey is really good, but Ted is on another level.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #684 on: February 02, 2020, 10:31:49 PM »
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/spocks-beard/2020/alvas-showroom-san-pedro-ca-7b98f218.html

The band just played their first show in nearly a year last night, and it seems like the set list was only a couple of songs off from their previous show last February. I, too, wonder if the band will consider recording another album. Does anyone know what their current contract is with InsideOut? Do they have more albums to release, or are they done?

Honestly, with how busy Nick has been with BBT, I doubt he'll return to SB for another album, and I don't think they'll have their touring drummer  (the one from Saga, I think), record on an album, but I could be wrong, since that's what they did with Jimmy Keegan.

Also, haven't Enchant been working on a new album over the last year or two? I wonder if Ted has said anything regarding that lately. And I would love to see Al release another solo album. I also wouldn't mind a follow up to Ryo's album Coming Through (which is an underrated, underappreciated gem, especially the title track and the epic).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline HOF

« Reply #685 on: February 03, 2020, 06:23:58 AM »
The one thing about Nick is his job with Sweetwater as I understand it really does allow him to play on whatever he wants as he essentially does full time session work with access to the Sweetwater studios, his own engineer, etc. The band were able to record Noise Floor there presumably because of Nick and the results sounded great. I think if Nick wants to carry on at least a recording relationship with Spock’s that arrangement can continue. It seems like Nick of all of them is the best able to dedicate himself to his music career in light of his day job.

Maybe we’re making too much of Ted’s comments. These guys have been around for a long time and maybe you make a record you just don’t care for every once in a while when you’ve made as many as they have. The fact that they are still touring (which also probably doesn’t make them much money) seems like a good sign they want to carry on. I will say though, if they call it quits Beginnings was a heck of a way to go out.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #686 on: February 03, 2020, 01:32:11 PM »
Listening to The Light this evening, having discovered that its 25th anniversary passed recently.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #687 on: February 04, 2020, 05:58:06 PM »
Went back and found the interview. Drops the “I’m probably the only one in the band who likes Noise Floor” around 32:00 and discussed it a little.

http://beyondtheplaylist.libsyn.com/beyond-the-playlist-with-jhammondc-ted-leonard?fbclid=IwAR2DwaGlgjb-vusX3xz0T58xQqRzuK583-u3VT5os1KNKRv83z3f3o45jfs

As much as I love Ted's voice in Spock's and on the Exorcist record, I am glad Portnoy's vision won out that time.  Casey's voice is a big reason why I love Flying Colors so much.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #688 on: February 05, 2020, 05:52:08 PM »

As much as I love Ted's voice in Spock's and on the Exorcist record, I am glad Portnoy's vision won out that time.  Casey's voice is a big reason why I love Flying Colors so much.

Definitely agree there. Casey brings a dynamic to Flying Colors that Ted just doesn't have and I love Ted's work in just about anything he's been in.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #689 on: February 05, 2020, 06:53:44 PM »
I love, love Ted's voice but I like dive5in my music and Casey adds something I don't have in prog music.

Kudos to MP for that.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline HOF

« Reply #690 on: February 05, 2020, 10:01:43 PM »
Some late night YouTubing turned up this gem. Nick drumming along to a 17+ minute Snow medley. He really is the best.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LMAYSHu2HJk

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #691 on: February 05, 2020, 10:06:44 PM »
Ted in Flying Colors would have been awesome... But I think Casey is fucking phenomenal and am happy he's the guy.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #692 on: February 06, 2020, 02:31:10 AM »
Some late night YouTubing turned up this gem. Nick drumming along to a 17+ minute Snow medley. He really is the best.

Love this guy.

One of my alltime favourite drummers AND singers. And such a cool dude. When I went to the Night Of The Prog and Big Big Train had a meet and greet for everyone, he realised that the line was just too long to give everyone autographs in time if he kept sitting behind that singing table. So he just came out and had a nice chat with everyone. Even when the m&g was already "done", he still stayed there. Who would do that?

I hate that he doesn't get appreciated enough, in my opinion he should always be mentioned with the greatest.

Offline HOF

« Reply #693 on: February 06, 2020, 05:56:20 AM »

Love this guy.

One of my alltime favourite drummers AND singers. And such a cool dude. When I went to the Night Of The Prog and Big Big Train had a meet and greet for everyone, he realised that the line was just too long to give everyone autographs in time if he kept sitting behind that singing table. So he just came out and had a nice chat with everyone. Even when the m&g was already "done", he still stayed there. Who would do that?

I hate that he doesn't get appreciated enough, in my opinion he should always be mentioned with the greatest.

As great as NDV was/is in Spock’s, I feel like he’s on another level with Big Big Train. He has a new Sweetwater video breaking down his gear for the recent BBT tour with some really cool footage that was actually the reason I ended up bumping into the Snow video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KXEunnfXVM8&fbclid=IwAR3-oCsCCGRf5ymwu9eMe-SoNblpqzkbQDV4ahnUReRulEplXV4_nlZBv8Y&feature=youtu.be

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #694 on: February 06, 2020, 03:42:07 PM »

Agreed.  NDV is easily one of my favorite drummers ever. :coolio

He was as nice as could be when my brother and I met him at Morsefest back in 2017.  He was out near the merch stand just chatting with fans and was as friendly as could be.  I got a quick pick with him, but it was terrible of me, so I had to chuck it damn it. :lol :lol :facepalm: :facepalm:

Offline emtee

« Reply #695 on: February 06, 2020, 04:28:58 PM »
Love NDV! Super friendly, classy guy with two of the
best hands in the business. Add a great voice and you
have an elite level musician.

Offline HOF

« Reply #696 on: February 06, 2020, 08:23:00 PM »
Nick is supposed to have a new solo album out sometime this year. I’ve never tracked down his first one, but Pieces was really cool.

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #697 on: February 06, 2020, 11:43:04 PM »

What studio version of Snow is this???

The riff at 15:50 comes in several measures early: https://youtu.be/LMAYSHu2HJk?t=949

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #698 on: February 07, 2020, 05:57:09 AM »

What studio version of Snow is this???

The riff at 15:50 comes in several measures early: https://youtu.be/LMAYSHu2HJk?t=949

I also realised there are some parts sounding differently than the original studio version...

Offline HOF

« Reply #699 on: February 07, 2020, 07:27:25 AM »
I’m guessing Nick had access to the original backing tracks to make the medley and just edited that part to come in early.