Author Topic: Spock's Beard Discography thread  (Read 111601 times)

Offline Mladen

Re: Spock's Beard Discography thread - v. New album in 2018!!
« Reply #385 on: March 16, 2018, 12:15:52 PM »
Indeed.  :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #386 on: March 20, 2018, 02:12:23 PM »
Ryo Okumoto just posted a link to a pre-order on Amazon Japan for the Japanese edition of the album, which has 7 exclusive tracks on it, 6 of which are demos of songs found on the album. Oddly enough, two of those tracks feature drums by Jimmy Keegan, so I wonder if they were demos before he left the band, and weren't used on TOP, then reworked for NF later on?

Either way, the Japanese 2nd Disc contains 11 tracks total, and even though I already pre-ordered the album from BurningShed last week, I'd love to get this Japanese release for the bonus tracks:

Disc 2 - Cutting Room Floor
1-4. [Same as the regular 2CD version]
5. Save Our Souls [Presumably a whole new track, not listed as a demo]
6. Vault (Demo)
7. Box Of Spiders (Demo, feat. Jimmy Keegan)
8. Somebody's Home (Demo)
9. Days We'll Remember (Demo)
10. Armageddon Nervous (Demo)
11. Beginnings (Demo, feat. Jimmy Keegan)

Additional information found on the Japanese Amazon listing:
Eric Gorfain - violin
Leah Katz - Viola
Richard Dodd - Cello
David Robertson - English Horn
Released on King Records, ASIN - B07BF248BT

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #387 on: March 21, 2018, 08:13:44 AM »
Noise Floor could be seen as a Genesis-length single-vinyl album (the main disc) with a bonus EP thrown in.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #388 on: April 06, 2018, 05:54:52 AM »
New song is on Spotify today. "To Breathe Another Day"

Sounds classic, yet fresh and energetic. Lovely to hear Nick on the kit. Very excited for the album now.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #389 on: April 06, 2018, 06:27:13 AM »
Can you hear Nick singing anything? Maybe background?
Weird that there was no announcement on FB or anything.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Mladen

« Reply #391 on: April 06, 2018, 07:08:22 AM »
Why did they even bother making a video if this is what they come up with?  :lol

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #392 on: April 06, 2018, 07:23:37 AM »
I had to actually stop watching the video in order to try and concentrate on the song itself. Leonard looks like he Skyped his shots in, and it looks like they turned Meros' desk fan a couple of levels too high.

Anyway, these guys are musicians not actors. The song didn't blow me away, but it's alright enough. The chorus brought to mind the verses in A Treasure Abandoned. Same key, similar vocal inflections.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #393 on: April 06, 2018, 07:31:06 AM »
Good first rocker single.  We all know the rest of the album will not be like this single.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #394 on: April 06, 2018, 08:56:30 AM »
I had a very similar reaction to Tides of Time, the first single off their last album, The Oblivion Particle. And that album, in terms of how I feel about it, is a lot like Dream Theater's self-titled album. It's not very often that I'm inclined to listen to it, but when I do, I really enjoy it and get into it.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #395 on: April 06, 2018, 10:49:07 AM »
Good first rocker single.  We all know the rest of the album will not be like this single.

Being the opening track, it definitely rocks and reels me in, so I'm inclined to agree here - I'm thinking the rest of the album will be different from this. This is pretty similar of "Tides Of Time" in terms of style and feel. The official video is pretty hilarious and corny in only the way that SB could be. A shame there's no video of NDV, but I think they're definitely doing that on purpose to emphasize the fact that he's just a guest performer on the album and not officially back with the band (...yet? lol).

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #396 on: April 06, 2018, 11:17:55 AM »
I HOPE NDV comes back to the band. And sings some tunes too. Love the guy.

But I dont want to miss him in BBT either. Man this dude just improves every band with his drumming :D

But if I had to choose one of the bands for NDV, I'd pick BBT.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #397 on: April 06, 2018, 01:22:06 PM »
Oh well...
Nick would be the obvious choice for a live drummer, as well. I'd be really surprised to see someone else than Jimmy or Nick taking over the drums here.
But taking that Jimmy quit the band and Nick will only be available for dates that don't interfere with BBT dates (in studio or live), it's gonna be interesting how the mighty Beard will develop...

Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline gazinwales

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #399 on: April 06, 2018, 04:54:25 PM »
Bizarre video - all just filmed from their home offices (or workshop) by the looks of things. 

Love the tune though!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #400 on: April 06, 2018, 05:02:08 PM »
I just stumbled upon this:

Jimmy Keegan: Hollywood Actor?

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0444438/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t87

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #401 on: April 06, 2018, 06:00:31 PM »
Great song! Let’s face it, the video is not too good, but we got a new SB song, so I really can’t complain :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #402 on: April 06, 2018, 06:27:00 PM »
I just stumbled upon this:

Jimmy Keegan: Hollywood Actor?

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0444438/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t87

You didn't know that? Yeah.  Pretty cool right?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #403 on: April 07, 2018, 08:52:47 AM »
I loved Dave in the garage in his spangly shirt and fan turned up to 11.  :lol

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #404 on: April 07, 2018, 09:45:51 AM »
Good rocker, let's see/hear what the rest sounds like.

Ted always looks so un-rockstar like, like a random dude who suddenly is fronting a band.  :D

And why is there a cookie monster on top of his guitar?  :metal
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Mladen

« Reply #405 on: April 07, 2018, 09:54:16 AM »
Because he obviously doesn't give a rat's ass. He looks like he got up two minutes earlier.  :lol

Jokes aside, it's a solid track.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #406 on: April 18, 2018, 11:59:49 AM »
I apologize for the double post. How about stirring up some discography discussion before the new album comes out?

I've been listening through the entire discography over the last few weeks. Sure, the Neal Morse era is filled with classic albums, no doubt about it.

However, I'm still stunned and impressed by how fantastic X and Brief nocturnes are. It's extremely odd that a band pulles off two albums of such remarkable quality late in their career and without the man used to be their main songwriter for years. They're both such creative, rich and consistent albums that also feature some of the original Spock's Beard warmth and beauty. I would even rank them above some of the classics.

And then I feel the need to point out how most of us would agree that The Oblivion particle was a good album, but left all of us slightly underwhelmed. Something was missing and I can't put my finger on what it was. I think they kind of pursued a modern prog sound and ignored some of the key elements of the band, which is admirable and can sometimes be a good move, but that actually might be what prevented the album from being great.

How about ranking the albums?

1. The Light
2. X
3. Brief Nocturnes And Dreamless Sleep
4. V
5. Snow
6. Octane
7. Beware Of Darkness
8. The Kindness Of Strangers
9. The Oblivion Particle
10. Day For Night
11. Feel Euforia
12. Spock's Beard

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #407 on: April 18, 2018, 12:36:14 PM »
I find it very hard to rank albums. I could say my top 3 or 5 in most cases or say "I like album A better than album B" but a whole ranking is difficult for me.

I liked X quite a lot, but I grew a little tired of it after listening to it for some time. It's still a very good album though.

Spock's Beard (self titled album) was the first album I ever owned of them and it holds a special place in my heart. I understand though that some fans don't like it that much. But On A Perfect Day is one of the best SB tracks, and I love Skeletons, All That's Left, Herafter, Re-Arranged (rocks!!!); and the longtrack is way more concise than the last two (from Octane and Euphoria), and even The Healing Colors.
I feel similar about Octane. It has fantastic tracks (Ballet, She Is everything, Beauty Of It All, Planet, Watching The Tide, yes I am a ballad fan), but some mediocre ones too. I feel the album would have been more awesome if they converted the whole thing into a concept album. The first 35 minutes dont work well as a long track, but they do as a bunch of songs in a row that have a concept and belong together somehow. It would have been a good concept album if the other songs were worked into that concept.

As you see, I began with the NDV era, simply because the FYE in Fort Myers only had the self titled album in stock when I was there for vacation about ten years ago. I heard about the band in the German DT Forum (like about countless other bands, like SymX), and didn't even know who that Neal Morse guy was.
It is the same with Phil Collins Genesis. If you start with that era without knowing about former albums, you probably don't hold grudges over the change in style.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #408 on: April 18, 2018, 01:43:29 PM »
I struggle to name a favourite. I don't usually listen to a whole album of their's for some reason.

Snow was my first so is a bit special for me. Neal sounds so emotional on the end of the record, especially. Speaks to me in a very rare way indeed. When my first born was tiny and wouldn't stop crying for whatever reason i used to carry him around the bedroom singing Wind At My Back to him softly.  :)

I've not heard Oblivion Particle but X and Dreamless Whatsit are really good.

I like Day For Night more than most seem to. Beware Of Darkness has never clicked for me at all.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #409 on: April 18, 2018, 01:51:37 PM »
When my first born was tiny and wouldn't stop crying for whatever reason i used to carry him around the bedroom singing Wind At My Back to him softly.  :)

That's so beautiful  :'( :angel:

SNOW is my favorite Spock's album and Wind At My Back is one of the most beautiful and honest songs I know. What I love about this song is that it could be about so many things or people, it's just a tune that gives strength and reminds you that everything might not be as bad as it seems.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #410 on: April 18, 2018, 03:59:59 PM »
When my first born was tiny and wouldn't stop crying for whatever reason i used to carry him around the bedroom singing Wind At My Back to him softly.  :)

That's so beautiful  :'( :angel:

SNOW is my favorite Spock's album and Wind At My Back is one of the most beautiful and honest songs I know. What I love about this song is that it could be about so many things or people, it's just a tune that gives strength and reminds you that everything might not be as bad as it seems.

:tup

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #411 on: April 18, 2018, 04:38:02 PM »
I like Day For Night more than most seem to. Beware Of Darkness has never clicked for me at all.
Very rare opinion here, that I totally agree :tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #412 on: April 18, 2018, 05:24:34 PM »
Day For Night was my first Spock's Beard album, and I still love it.  Got it way back when I was in the CD club (anyone else remember those?)  It was their latest at the time, so I worked back from there, and of course have gotten to see how they've evolved since then.  I look forward to new stuff from them!  :tup

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #413 on: April 18, 2018, 07:28:59 PM »
Count me in the "Snow is a favorite" camp. My favorite of the Neal-era albums at least, and pretty high up there in the overall discography.

Concerning Day For Night, when I got into SB (around 2005/2006), I had veered toward popular opinion at the time, which was DFN wasn't as good as any of the other albums, especially among the six Neal-era ones, and I sort of agreed. Snow was an instant favorite, and V and Beware Of Darkness were tied in a close 2nd, while TKOS really stuck to me with tunes like "The Good Don't Last" and "Harm's Way". Day For Night just didn't have the same punch and power the albums around it had, but it still had some great pieces like "Crack The Big Sky", "The Gypsy", and "The Healing Colors Of Sound", which was a bit more disjointed than the band's prior epics, but still pretty good! I think pieces like "Gibberish", "Skin" and "Can't Get It Wrong" felt like rehashes of songs they had already released, and didn't feel like anything new to me compared to similar songs on the prior 3 albums, where as V would put together some rather unique shorter songs in the middle of its two grand epics.

Since then, I've come around a bit more on DFN, and have grown to appreciate the album as a whole, but if you had to ask me, it's still my least favorite Neal-era album, but by no means does that make it a BAD album!

As for a ranking? Good god I don't think I could do one...but here's my best effort anyway:
Snow
V / X (tied!)
Beware Of Darkness
Brief Nocturnes And Dreamless Sleep
The Light
The Kindness Of Strangers
Octane
Day For Night
The Oblivion Particle
Spock's Beard
Feel Euphoria

...even looking at it for a minute before hitting POST, I feel a bit reluctant to submit that, but we'll just go with my gut feelings on it for now. :lol

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #414 on: April 18, 2018, 07:38:12 PM »
Even though it still has three songs I dislike a lot, I like Day for Night a lot more than I used to.  It is still my least favorite Neal-era album, but I definitely like it more than the self-titled and The Oblivion Particle.

I also like Octane a lot more than I did at first.

On the flip side, I don't like V as much as I used to.  I still love At the End of the Day, but The Great Nothing seems like a chore to get through now, and Alan Morse's tone on most of the album annoys the crap out of me.

Gun to my head, I would say my favorites are Beware of Darkness, Snow, X and Brief Nocturnes..., with The Kindness of Strangers and The Light just behind.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #415 on: April 19, 2018, 01:30:19 AM »
Took me forever to get into Beware Of Darkness and I still don't rank it as high as some other fans. Time Has Come is fantastic, sure, and Thoughts probably among the greatest prog songs of the 90s. But I never liked the Doorway (Firth Of Fifth ripoff). Walking On The Wind is cool, but not essential for me. Chatauqua is a nice Mood For A Day/Horizon's like tune.
I think it might be tied with Day For Night actually... Crack The Big Sky and Gypsy are awesome. I like Gibberish better than In The Mouth Of Madness. Skin is a cool pop song. I like the two ballads too. As for The Healing Colors, yes it's a little too song-song-song-reprisefirstsong, but it has great moments. It would be better if they'd skipped Mommy Comes Back though, imo.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #416 on: April 19, 2018, 03:46:44 AM »
Ranking time  :metal

I did it before in this thread about two years ago, my list hasn't changed that much (mainly Light and Brief Nocturnes changing places since then):

1. V
2. X
3. The Light
4. Brief Nocturnes And Dreamless Sleep
5. The Kindness Of Strangers
6. The Oblivion Particle
7. Octane
8. Beware Of Darkness
9. Spock's Beard
10. Day For Night
11. Snow
12. Feel Euphoria

But even Feel Euphoria isn't bad, its just not as good as others.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #417 on: April 19, 2018, 05:59:51 AM »

It's not very good in general.

Snow 2nd last!?!   :omg:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #418 on: April 19, 2018, 06:20:29 AM »
Took me forever to get into Beware Of Darkness and I still don't rank it as high as some other fans. Time Has Come is fantastic, sure, and Thoughts probably among the greatest prog songs of the 90s. But I never liked the Doorway (Firth Of Fifth ripoff). Walking On The Wind is cool, but not essential for me. Chatauqua is a nice Mood For A Day/Horizon's like tune.

Aside from the fact that both have extended piano intros, the songs aren't alike at all.  The structures are very different.

I loved Feel Euphoria when it was first out, I think largely because it so greatly exceeded my expectations, but I have found that over time I rarely listen to it anymore, although East of Eden, West of Memphis is still a song I go to a lot.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #419 on: April 19, 2018, 06:20:57 AM »

Snow 2nd last!?!   :omg:

Snow is a SB album I don't connect to.  I don't have answers why.