Author Topic: Spock's Beard Discography thread  (Read 110227 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Spock's Beard Discography thread - v. The First Twenty Years and Recap
« Reply #315 on: March 15, 2016, 12:34:27 PM »
Ah. When age shows on the internet.   :lol

I blink and 20 years just passed by.  It happens so fast that the new prog generation that happened in the 90's are now 20 years into it but for us, it seems like yesterday.

Yep.  That's why it's still new to me.  Also, it will never be part of my psyche the way the music from junior high and high school is.  The music I spent hours and hours listening to over and over.  Intricate music, and I know every note, every riff, every fill.  There's some newer stuff that's very, very good, but there's just not enough time these days, so there's no way I'll ever absorb it.  I mean, there are older albums I've listened to hundreds of times.  I think I've listened to The Oblivion Particle four or five times altogether, same with the first couple of Spock's Beard albums.  Great stuff, but I don't think I'll ever play them enough to know them note-for-note the way I know, for example, Close to the Edge.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #316 on: March 15, 2016, 12:59:20 PM »
That too is age.  As a teen I could sit doing nothing for hours and listen to the music, reading the lyrics, trying to figure out the chord progression.

Now, I get to listen to albums in the car, not fully through, and in the background in my office working.  It doesn't soak in like my younger age and what can you do?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #317 on: March 15, 2016, 02:31:47 PM »
You can enjoy it for what it is, which is good music.  And I'm glad that there are still bands out there making music like this, pushing where they can, not giving a shit about whether or not they'll ever have a Top 40 Hit.

Still, there will always be the days when you have to put on one of the old favorites, crank it up, and in your mind be a carefree idiotic teenager again.  Nothing "newer" can do that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #318 on: March 15, 2016, 05:50:11 PM »
Spock's Beard is probably one of the more appealing "new prog" bands to older prog fans, simply because they really never incorporate metal elements into their music (their hardest moments might rock, but are never metal), so it has that classic vintage feel, regardless of what era of SB you listen to.  It helps, too, that almost all of their albums are mixed and sound very well, giving them a very organic sound, which really does take you back to the 70s.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #319 on: March 16, 2016, 02:08:34 AM »
I don't think it's only the missing "metal" parts, Neal Morse's prog was and is very retro oriented right from the beginning of Spock's Beard. not that that is a bad thing, but the experimental stuff happens elsewhere.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #320 on: July 05, 2016, 08:40:19 PM »
Don't know if this has been mentioned, but they are performing Snow in its entirety on Morsefest with past and present members....yes, with Neil. Took 'em long enough.....

So this happened Saturday...

And where are the reviews??

Did no one from here go see this??

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #321 on: July 05, 2016, 08:49:35 PM »
As part of the SBForum on Facebook, I've been seeing a TON of photos from the weekend, as well as a lot of fan reviews, both quick and detailed (but not TOO detailed). The first night was a fun session with Neal, Nick, Eric, Casey, and Randy, as they all did songs from their own bands and projects, as well as a few covers, and while Randy didn't play any of his songs, he did get an extended bass solo spot in "Sing It High" (ya know, the usual one, I'm sure).

Early on Saturday featured a jam session with all the members of SB jamming on random covers, literally just calling out keys and playing the songs as they went along (or at least, that's what i've read). The main event was that evening, and every member of the band was on fire, apparently, and not only did Neal sing lead, but so did Nick, Ted, and even Jimmy. I also read there was a brass section there, too (which makes sense).

I haven't really read too much more than that as I'm sure we'll get the official release next year, though I've been worried about MORSEfest 2015 not having a release date yet (as Neal opted to release Alive Again first from the NMB's latest tour), so I'm hoping we get MORSEfest 2016 by this time next year. I'm dying to watch it in glorious HD Blu-ray format!!!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #322 on: July 06, 2016, 06:51:56 AM »
As part of the SBForum on Facebook, I've been seeing a TON of photos from the weekend, as well as a lot of fan reviews, both quick and detailed (but not TOO detailed). The first night was a fun session with Neal, Nick, Eric, Casey, and Randy, as they all did songs from their own bands and projects, as well as a few covers, and while Randy didn't play any of his songs, he did get an extended bass solo spot in "Sing It High" (ya know, the usual one, I'm sure).

Early on Saturday featured a jam session with all the members of SB jamming on random covers, literally just calling out keys and playing the songs as they went along (or at least, that's what i've read). The main event was that evening, and every member of the band was on fire, apparently, and not only did Neal sing lead, but so did Nick, Ted, and even Jimmy. I also read there was a brass section there, too (which makes sense).

I haven't really read too much more than that as I'm sure we'll get the official release next year, though I've been worried about MORSEfest 2015 not having a release date yet (as Neal opted to release Alive Again first from the NMB's latest tour), so I'm hoping we get MORSEfest 2016 by this time next year. I'm dying to watch it in glorious HD Blu-ray format!!!

-Marc.

Just to let you know, on www.mikeportnoy.com/forum there's a topic about SB show, with very detailed reviews.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #323 on: July 12, 2016, 12:22:28 PM »
Maybe some of you will be interested, from Radiant site:

"STARTING TODAY: Radiant's 3-Day Blowout Sale from now through Thursday, 7/14! Head over to www.radiantrecords.com for crazy discounts!

Spock's Beard, Transatlantic, and Neal Morse as low as $.99!"

I just bought SB 20 years by US$ 14,99 :tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #324 on: July 17, 2016, 01:06:51 PM »
Some guy uploaded several videos:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/W1UOLODtL5M

Fuck, I want a DVD of that so bad. It's one of my favorite SB albums.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #325 on: July 17, 2016, 01:18:35 PM »
Some guy uploaded several videos:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/W1UOLODtL5M

Fuck, I want a DVD of that so bad. It's one of my favorite SB albums.

This is what bands need to understand.   It's free promotion and for us who can buy Blu Ray/Dvd's and we will dish out the money.  This gets me jacked to buy it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #326 on: July 17, 2016, 02:03:16 PM »
Neal Morse releases so many live albums and DVDs that I tend to ignore most of them, but this one I'd buy as soon as it becomes available. They did this at Morsefest right? Doesn't that always get filmed? Neal has to know that there'd be a huge demand for it.

Anyone think this will result in NM being back in the band permanently? He's already written songs for SB and appeared on one of the albums if I'm remembering right. I wouldn't be surprised if we hear that he's on the next Spock's album sharing vocal duties with Ted Leonard.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #327 on: July 17, 2016, 02:11:52 PM »
The simple answer it no.  Would it be cool?  Hell yeah!  I just don't think it will happen buy I'm glad they still jam together.   

I saw Nick jump up on stage at RoSfest this year with SB.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 02:39:51 PM by kingshmegland »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #328 on: July 17, 2016, 02:27:09 PM »
Yep, I don't see it as anything other than the occasional jam with old friends.  Neal seems to love the band he has put together for his solo career, anyway. 

As for the DVD for Snow, we will see.  The last few Neal live DVDs I saw had weird camera angles, bad lighting, awful background colors, etc., so if this one is better in that regard, I will consider it.  Will be interesting to see how they handle the major gaffes that I read they had (Neal botching the piano solo in Love Beyond Words, Alan coming in too early with that big chord in 39th Street Blues, etc.).
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 02:34:29 PM by KevShmev »

Offline Mosh

« Reply #329 on: July 17, 2016, 03:40:21 PM »
Don't care about that stuff, I'll buy the DVD anyway. I don't expect a perfect performance, considering the size of the group and they probably had a limited time to rehearse the music (the bulk of which they probably haven't played in years).

As for NM in Spock's, ever since NDV left I've gotten the feeling that they are slowly easing him back in to the band. It started with writing some songs together on BNADS, then the 20 minute epic on the best of thing, and now a performance of Snow. I suppose at some point they might want to do a whole album together.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #330 on: July 18, 2016, 02:50:07 AM »
I'm one of the probably few that don't want Neal back in SB. The occasional jam is nice and some contributions to albums, be it a guest spot or a shared songwriting credit, are an added bonus but I think with X and the two Ted Leonard records they finally have struggled free. They've found their own style which I enjoy very much and they've made it their own band.

And we have enough NM music or NM influenced music with his solo band and Transatlantic (and to some degree Flying Colours) that I don't need another band with him at the helm. I've grown a little bit tired of his music lately, it's still nice but doesn't really grab me.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #331 on: July 19, 2016, 11:38:52 AM »
I think NM is in a very different place these days, musically and mentally. Writing an occasional song for SB is probably the right level of influence.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #332 on: July 19, 2016, 06:25:49 PM »
Don't care about that stuff, I'll buy the DVD anyway. I don't expect a perfect performance, considering the size of the group and they probably had a limited time to rehearse the music (the bulk of which they probably haven't played in years).

Oh, I agree. A perfect performance is non-existent, but I am a lot more choosy in the live DVDs I now buy. I don't watch them in general as much as I used to, so I tend to only get ones I think I'll watch more than a couple times.  As much as I love Snow, I am not sure this one would fall into that category.  I fear it would be one I would watch once and then never again.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #333 on: July 19, 2016, 06:54:10 PM »
I've seen SB last few tours and let me tell you they kick ass live. Great performances.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #334 on: July 19, 2016, 07:51:14 PM »
I've seen SB last few tours and let me tell you they kick ass live. Great performances.

That's one band I've always wanted to see live.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #335 on: July 19, 2016, 07:53:27 PM »
The new line up is so good live.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #336 on: July 19, 2016, 08:03:28 PM »
I'll have to see when they're playing here again. I want to see Haken in September and Marillion in November.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #337 on: July 19, 2016, 08:08:05 PM »
The wife and I are seeing Haken in September.   Nick will be with us.

I need to see Marillion.   Last time was 1986 opening for Rush playing all of Misplaced Childhood.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #338 on: July 19, 2016, 08:31:44 PM »

Oh, I agree. A perfect performance is non-existent, but I am a lot more choosy in the live DVDs I now buy. I don't watch them in general as much as I used to, so I tend to only get ones I think I'll watch more than a couple times.  As much as I love Snow, I am not sure this one would fall into that category.  I fear it would be one I would watch once and then never again.
Fair enough, I'm pretty choosy too. The only NM/Spock's related DVDs I have are the last two Transatlantic sets (and that's only because I got insane deals for them). Snow would be the first 'must buy' NM DVD for me.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #339 on: July 19, 2016, 08:32:37 PM »
I'm sure Marillion will be playing there around the same time as here, so figure November.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #340 on: September 04, 2016, 11:29:55 AM »
I'm sure Marillion will be playing there around the same time as here, so figure November.

I'd have loved to have added another Marillion gig in New York on election night, but alas it was not to be. Just have to settle for one this time.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Spock's Beard Discography thread - v. SNOW Live!
« Reply #341 on: September 12, 2017, 09:03:05 AM »
Got my SNOW Live! preorder in at radiant.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #342 on: September 12, 2017, 09:05:16 AM »
80 bucks for the artbook with shipping to the US (15 for shipping). Kind of steep. I might settle for the Blu-ray only but outside Radiant. 30 bucks with shipping for the Blu-ray. Damn...

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #343 on: September 12, 2017, 09:07:10 AM »
80 bucks for the artbook with shipping to the US (15 for shipping). Kind of steep. I might settle for the Blu-ray only but outside Radiant. 30 bucks with shipping for the Blu-ray. Damn...

Yeah I went with the artbook.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #344 on: September 12, 2017, 09:17:00 AM »
Got the artbook as I perched on my phone waiting for 11 EST.

I'm order 108150, and it cost me $80.79 after shipping...ugh. Well, it'll be worth it I think.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #345 on: September 12, 2017, 09:20:33 AM »
108152 here

I had put the DVD and BluRay in my cart and then saw the artbook and had to add that and remove the others.. so that slowed me down a bit.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #346 on: September 12, 2017, 09:23:31 AM »
108152 here

I had put the DVD and BluRay in my cart and then saw the artbook and had to add that and remove the others.. so that slowed me down a bit.

I just scrolled towards the bottom and saw "NEAL WILL SIGN" and "ARTBOOK", found the word "BUNDLE" and went for the highest priced item and went for it without reading the whole description first. :lol

-Marc.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #347 on: September 12, 2017, 09:24:08 AM »
108152 here

I just scrolled towards the bottom and saw "NEAL WILL SIGN" and "ARTBOOK", found the word "BUNDLE" and went for the highest priced item and went for it without reading the whole description first. :lol

-Marc.

That's what I should have done... I'm sure I'm still in the first 200 so no big deal.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #348 on: September 12, 2017, 09:38:18 AM »
108152 here

-Marc.

That's what I should have done... I'm sure I'm still in the first 200 so no big deal.

Considering you were two orders behind me, and I ordered mine between 11:00 and 11:01, I think you're in. :tup

Now, my big question is - will this set ONLY feature Snow, or will the encore of "June" and "Falling For Forever" be included as well? I cannot find any information confirming if it is or isn't included in this set, and the pictures on Radiant are thumbnails that are too small to read.

-Marc.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #349 on: September 12, 2017, 09:53:45 AM »
*sigh* Once again, can't get audio and video in *just* the formats I want. Oh well, I'll have to skip the Blu-ray again, because the CDs are most important for me. (sorry for complaining, this just REALLY bugs me)

On a less 'complain-y' note, I wonder what they'll end up doing with the Storytellers night of Morsefest 2016. My guess is that will be released on it's own at some point in the future, but I guess we'll see.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.