Author Topic: Spock's Beard Discography thread  (Read 111310 times)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Re: Spock's Beard Discography thread - v. Feel the sun forever shine
« Reply #210 on: November 15, 2015, 09:19:24 PM »
I haven't spent much time with the album, just 3 listens. I think the Octane comparison is accurate, although while Octane didn't come with very high expectations, this album did. X and Brief Nocturnes were huge steps for the band, showing they could make great albums again after Neal left. Oblivion Particle feels like it's going back to the Octane/self titled level of quality. Not bad necessarily, just kinda average. I have a hard time wanting to go back to that. It's also one of their longer albums isn't it? Definitely feels longer than BNADS. Of course I don't expect every album to be a winner, but this one is a bit of a disappointment.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #211 on: November 16, 2015, 02:51:24 AM »
For me this is another great record. It took a lot longer to sink in, especially compared to BNADS and I'm not yet ready to really rank it in the whole catalogue. But for now it would probably be top five material.

I get a really strong Genesis vibe from the opener Tides Of Time and Bennett Build A Time Machine, the former more of the Gabriel era and the latter could be out of the Duke sessions. Hell's Not Enough is another highlight for me and reminds me in a good way of Submerged from the previous record. The acapella section from Better Way To Fly is really good, as is the whole song.

All the songs add some new things to the beard catalogue, while keeping it recognizably beardish. The last three records are of very consistent high quality and I hope they can keep this level up.

And for me V is the best Neal fronted record, X is the best Nick fronted record, so somewhere down the line they have to release a record called XV and it will be the best Ted fronted record.  ;D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #212 on: November 16, 2015, 06:45:29 AM »
I'm somewhere between Mladen and Mosh.  Only spun it 3-4 times, but it gets better with every listen.  Some good, some forgettable (at the moment).  Tides is a very good opener; Bennett has some quirky lyrics (still not sure if I dislike them, or merely tolerate them), but it's catchy none-the-less; I'm not a fan of the chorus in Get Out; The Center Line is a great tune.  It's somewhat been lost in the mix of some really great releases over the last couple of months, but I'll force myself to keep going back to it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #213 on: November 16, 2015, 07:17:29 AM »
My initial reaction was very, very meh. In fact after a couple of listens I was ready to shelf it and (probably) never to return to it again. I just had that one more listen and finally something clicked. Since then it is steadily growing on me. So this is certainly not a record for everyone to like, but I would say give it a chance, it may be worth it.

And funny that everyone seems to like The Center Line, it's not a bad song but for me it's one of the less good on the record.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #214 on: November 16, 2015, 08:00:34 AM »
The Center line is okay, there's something awkward about the chorus that prevents it from being great. The tracks I like the least are Bennett and Get out, very average tunes with very few memorable bits.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #215 on: November 16, 2015, 08:27:00 AM »
I think this is a really good album.  Certainly different from (and more dense than) the previous one, there is a lot to like here.  But it is definitely not as accessible.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #216 on: November 16, 2015, 09:03:46 AM »
I think this is a really good album.  Certainly different from (and more dense than) the previous one, there is a lot to like here.  But it is definitely not as accessible.

Agreed.  Excellently put.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Spock's Beard Discography thread - v. The First Twenty Years and Recap
« Reply #217 on: November 21, 2015, 05:22:39 PM »
Yesterday, the band released their first best of, titled The First Twenty Years, featuring 14 classic Beard tunes plus a new song, "Falling for Forever," featuring all seven members who have been in the band (the current band plus Neal and NDV), written by Neal Morse.  I haven't heard the song yet, as I am not buying a compilation for one new song, since I already have every other song already, but I am sure I will hear it eventually.  Anyone hear it yet?

As a recap, I will say that this thread was fun to do, and reminded me that the Beard have been one of my favorite and most listened to bands of the last 15 years (since getting into the them in 2000).  Thanks to everyone who read and/or participated. :coolio :hat

Offline Mladen

« Reply #218 on: November 22, 2015, 03:52:09 AM »
I also haven't heard the new song but I'll check it out at some point. Thanks for doing the thread, Kev. It was really cool to look back.  :tup

Back when I became a fan, SB was still in the shadow of the Neal era stuff, having only released three albums out of which only one was really good. Six years later, the band put out three more albums, two fantastic ones and another really good one. Nowadays, the Neal era is just a segment of an overall strong discography.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #219 on: November 22, 2015, 07:15:59 AM »
Thanks for the thread, KevShmev.  I learned a few things, and any excuse to listen to Spock's Beard is good with me.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #220 on: November 22, 2015, 07:56:01 AM »
Thanks! Though I lagged behind on the newer albums, I'm really inclined to check out X specifically, and the newest too. But the old stuff was cool to discuss  :D
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #221 on: November 22, 2015, 11:38:26 AM »
Oops. Forgot to post about The Oblivion Particle. If I may...

Tides of Time is a grower. I wasn't struck on it at all when it first came out. Even now, having gotten used to it a bit more, I'd say it's my least favourite on the album.

Minion had a better response from me as a pre-album release. But since hearing the other songs, it's dropped in my ranking.

Hell's Not Enough. More proof of what a fine vocalist Ted Leonard is. Epic drum solo in the middle from Jimmy Keegan.

Bennett Built a Time Machine. What a vocal debut from Keegan here! Catchiest song of the year, without question.

Get Out While You Can. With its similar length, I thought this would be this album's Submerged. Sadly not. Good enough song, but not their best.

A Better Way to Fly. Another grower, which I'm only really starting to appreciate now.

The Center Line. My favourite song on the album. Wonderful build-up at the beginning and a great chorus!

To Be Free Again. The album's 'epic'. Seamless transition from 4/4 to 6/8 for the chorus. My next-favourite after TCL.

Disappear. I thought this would be like DT's Beneath the Surface, a 'comedown' after the heights of the epic, but this is more substantial than that. Fast virtuoso bit in the middle, and a soaring near-conclusion.

That's it...so far. Hopefully there's more to come from one of the true greats of modern progressive music. Thanks KevShmev for hosting this thread. I hope to purchase the other four SB albums (DfN, FE, Octane, SB9) before too long, to complete my collection.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #222 on: November 22, 2015, 11:46:54 AM »
I forgot to mention this before, but Tides of Time being the lone selection from the new album on the Twenty Years compilation seems bizarre, almost like, "Well, the new album is so new that we don't know what songs the fans like most or whatever, so we'll just throw track 1 on there."

I also think, given how longer song/epic-heavy the compilation already is, instead of putting Waiting for Me from the last album, they should have put Submerged (one of their catchier shorter songs ever) and Something Very Strange.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #223 on: November 27, 2015, 05:47:24 PM »
Got the new compilation in the mail earlier tonight, popped the 20 minute song in my car and drove around as I listened to it, LOUDLY, and jammed out the whole time. First impressions - LOVE it, as much as I would for any Neal-penned epic. It's quite different, though, from anything Neal has written since he quit SB, as it's not very lyrical, mostly instrumental and VERY virtuosic in terms of playing, especially the guitars and drums (odd, since the band was always Keys-heavy back in the day, but good to hear everyone play out well). The battling drums in the middle are quite amazing, and as a drummer, I was grinning ear-to-ear the whole time listening to Nick and Jimmy trade off their insanely complex fills and licks. Al shines a lot with his various guitar solos and spotlights throughout the piece as well. Vocally speaking, Ted is REALLY good on the choruses, and his vocals soar as they have been, while Neal's vocals on the verses are typical Neal - good, soulful vox - and Nick's part was definitely written with Nick in mind as he cranks out the rock vox!

Over-all, the new epic is a great landmark for the band's first 20 years together, and in 20 years hence, it'll be something to revisit with awe and amazement, looking back at a band that came this far and came together to play on a piece that represents the best of them, individually and together.

As for the DVD, I am watching it right now, as I type this! The new interviews with the band members are nice insights, while the live clips (so far, "Beware Of Darkness" and "Walking On The Wind") are pretty good! It reminds me that I really need to watch the full Progfest '97 show that I've owned (from Inner Circle) for quite some time now, but I just never got around to watching it. After watching this DVD, I'll probably listen to the new song on repeat through the whole weekend, this time with headphones on!!!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: November 30, 2015, 07:38:08 AM »
I got the new track from iTunes as a standalone song - $1.29 CAD.  Haven't spun it yet, but will be doing so shortly.  Quite happy to have got it without having to shell out for the whole compilation.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #225 on: November 30, 2015, 10:16:06 AM »
I got the new track from iTunes as a standalone song - $1.29 CAD.  Haven't spun it yet, but will be doing so shortly.  Quite happy to have got it without having to shell out for the whole compilation.

:tup Nice! I was hoping there'd be an option out there like that for the non-hardcore fans. But for those who are hardcore like me, having the physical version was a must! The 4 post-cards of album covers that came with it are pretty nice, and the DVD was a fantastic watch as well, with some great footage of the Making of TKOS and other bits from the band's past, and the new band member interviews were good as well. Over-all, the whole package was really well done.

I haven't had a chance to listen to the new remastered (older) tracks yet, let alone A/B them with the album versions that I've come to know and love, but I'm sure they sound just as great as the new song does.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: November 30, 2015, 11:08:38 AM »
It's clearly a lot to digest on one listen, but it was fascinating and scintillating to hear all three vocalists on a single track.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #227 on: November 30, 2015, 01:23:05 PM »
It's clearly a lot to digest on one listen, but it was fascinating and scintillating to hear all three vocalists on a single track.

Indeed, it is quite a lot to digest after one listen, and since I got it on Friday, I've listened to it a few more times, once again in my car, and a couple times with headphones, and BOY is it still a treat.

I put it at the end of a playlist with several other B-Sides, non-album tracks, covers, and alternate versions of other SB songs:
Iron Man (from TOP)
Something Very Strange (Sanctified Remix) (from BNADS)
Their Names Escape Me (Nameless Version) (from X-Tour Live)
South Side Of The Sky (from Snow Limited Edition)
The Truth (from All On A Sunday single)
All On A Sunday (2001) (from All On A Sunday single)
Hurt (from DFN European Special Edition)
Stratus (from From The Vaults)
Into Fire (from From The Vaults)
Waste Away (Alternate Mix) (from From The Vaults)
Falling For Forever (from The First Twenty Years)

It comes to about 74 minutes, which is great for an album of non-album tracks. I may have to burn this to CD-r for the car.

As for the epic itself, after hearing it a few times, I've come to enjoy it a lot, but I kind of wish there were some extravagant vocal parts that SB is known for, some multi-part harmonies (especially with Neal, Nick, AND Ted, as well as Dave and Al in the mix, and possibly Jimmy - could you imagine, 6 vocal harmonies?!). Instrumentally, this is one of the strongest songs from the band, lots of musical muscles being flexed in here. Aside from that, the vocals that ARE in here are really good, especially Ted. Oddly enough, Neal is my least favorite vocalist on this song, though I think he got stuck with the verses because he wanted the other two to shine a bit more with their own, bigger parts.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 10:41:05 AM by The Letter M »

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #228 on: December 02, 2015, 01:24:36 PM »
So I went to itunes for the first time in years to try and download the new track. For some reason when I click on the album in the itunes store it says the store is not available and to try later. I've tried twice over two days and am still having issues. The interesting thing is that I have no problems looking at other albums. Anyone else having this issue?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #229 on: December 02, 2015, 07:18:54 PM »
I am having the exact same issue.  It says it is a partial album and I cannot access it to buy that new song.  Pretty infuriating.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #230 on: December 02, 2015, 07:50:32 PM »
It said (and still lists) the whole album as "partial album", but I was able to buy Falling For Forever as a standalone last week.  Every other song is 'buyable' individually as well.  Probably because iTunes (at least in Canada) is showing the release date as Dec 11th.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #231 on: December 04, 2015, 06:54:09 AM »
Went and tried again last night and the whole album has been removed from the store.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: December 04, 2015, 07:00:43 AM »
Wow... that honks.  I see it on the CAD store, they've updated it with a Nov 21 release date, and the album is purchasable now - but, being a >10 minute song, Falling For Forever is only available as album only.  Glad I got it when I could.  Guess iTunes messed up with how they initially posted it.

After searching "Spock's Beard", I had to scroll through the list of albums.  I don't know what order they sort them in, but it was the second last one listed.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #233 on: December 04, 2015, 08:10:58 PM »
I find this whole thing to be so disappointing.  I hate to say it, but this will end up being a case where I get the song from a friend who can always find any song online for free.  I am ready to give the band money for the song, but they apparently don't want it (and I am not buying the whole compilation for one freaking song).

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #234 on: December 05, 2015, 08:48:38 PM »
Ditto.

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #235 on: December 07, 2015, 08:04:55 AM »
Haven't heard the new song and it's not available as an mp3 on Amazon, and I'm definitely not touching iTunes, and the whole album in physical form is 23 euros. Sorry guys (or record company?), but I'm not buying that for just one song.

But back to topic: Thanks Kev for running this thread, it was a lot of fun and Spock's Beard to this day remains one of my favorite bands and still releases quality stuff, I hope they keep it up a few more years.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #236 on: December 07, 2015, 09:19:35 AM »
Looks like this has become the new SB band thread.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: December 07, 2015, 01:04:32 PM »
Looks like this has become the new SB band thread.

But fittingly for the discography thread: preorders for The Kindness of Strangers and Snow LPs just went up at Burning Shed! Snow is a beefy 3xLP, and they both come with CDs too.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #238 on: December 07, 2015, 02:27:52 PM »
Maybe I'm just the SB super-fan around here, and I don't mind paying for music if it helps SB and/or Neal, but paying 20-odd dollars for this compilation didn't feel like a rip-off. The Digipak from Inside Out is well made, came with 4 nicely printed postcards on nice cardstock paper with artwork from V, FE, Octane, and the new compilation, and the DVD was a nice collection of live video, interviews, and home-videos from Neal and company. Between all that AND the new song, as well as the remastered old songs, it felt like a much better compilation than some bands will put out, which are typically record label-pushed releases that don't usually offer anything new. This didn't feel like a cheap cash-grab to me, but a sincere attempt as giving something to fans, old and new, to celebrate the band's twentieth anniversary.

RE: The new vinyls! I saw the email from Burning Shed this morning about them, and I'm definitely interested in getting them, even though I don't have the vinyl for the last three albums, The Light or V yet... I just haven't had the money for them when they came out, and I'm sure some of those are going for a LOT on second-hand markets. Definitely have to get Snow this time though as it's my favorite. That whopping 3-LP though!! Cannot wait to see what it'll look like!

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #239 on: December 07, 2015, 05:51:03 PM »

But back to topic: Thanks Kev for running this thread, it was a lot of fun and Spock's Beard to this day remains one of my favorite bands and still releases quality stuff, I hope they keep it up a few more years.

Thanks, it was fun!  :hat

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #240 on: December 15, 2015, 02:11:43 PM »
Just saw the 20 Years set in a store. Had to buy it. First time listening to the new epic, I really like how it doesn't sound like Neal Morse epic. Love the vocals!
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #241 on: December 15, 2015, 04:57:35 PM »
Dang it. Looked at this thread and got half way down the page and immediately started downloading I-tunes thinking I could get new song.  Then kept reading while downloading to find out that the new song was only up for a very short time and removed.  Ah well, not going to lose sleep over it!!!

Heck, charge more for the song based on song length like it was an EP.  I definitely don't need to re-buy all of the other songs but would be willing to pay more than the single song price.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #242 on: December 15, 2015, 05:45:14 PM »
To fans here who just want the new song - I understand not wanting to "re-buy" songs you already own, but do be aware they ARE remastered by Rich Mouser, the guy who's done nearly ever SB album, every Neal album, and then some!

In addition to that, there's a sweet documentary put together by Randy George (who has gotten the knack of really making them look and sound good!). I suppose that's not enough for you guys to put out for the compilation??

I'm just thankful for the new song AND the documentary, two things that most compilations by bands don't even offer, let alone remixes/remasters of older material (and not just plucking them from their respective albums).

I guess I am just in the minority of music lovers that will appreciate whatever we get from a favorite band, and be willing to buy said products in order to support them. Then again, I know a lot of you guys here WANT to do that, but just want the new song by itself, but complaining about it HERE won't help any. Go to the band's FB Forum, where Sonya, Jimmy, and occasionally Dave all post and reply to threads. Let them know you just want the new song, and are willing to buy it directly from the band. Suggest a bandcamp account for them to sell the new song by itself for $1.99 (or more), whatever you're willing to pay! I'm sure some fans would pay even $5.00 for the new song, especially if the money went right into the band's pockets.

Maybe they'll sell the song on the premise that they need to fund their next album, which, according to Jimmy, songs for SB13 are already brewing, so perhaps we may see a new album by the end of next year, or early 2017?!

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #243 on: December 15, 2015, 05:52:30 PM »
Eh, the Beard songs all sound good already anyway, so them being remastered has no effect on me, and I find that documentaries end up being something I watch once and then never again, with rare exceptions.

We shouldn't have to beg and plead for the band to find a way for us to buy a new song.  In this day and age, it shouldn't be this difficult.  Considering this is a niche band with nothing but hardcore fans, meaning there are probably almost no casual fans who would buy the compilation to get the songs they don't already have, I still think this was a poor decision.  It was basically saying, "Here, fans, shell out 20 bucks for one new song."

I see that iTunes now has the compilation for $11.99, so we could buy it for the new song, but 12 bucks for one song?  No thanks.  Like I said before, I am sure I will get it somehow, someway, sooner rather than later.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: December 15, 2015, 07:13:33 PM »
Unfortunately, burying new material in compilations has been a successful sales tactic for a long while now. And it still works – certainly the recent Steven Wilson vinyl-only pop song compilation is a fitting example. This is, quite likely, the only way to sell the entire compilation to anyone except the hardcorest and newest fans.

With that said, I wouldn't be surprised if they offer the song alone in a couple of months after the compilation has its first sales run in the holiday season. Bolster the sales after everyone's belt tightens in January.