Author Topic: Spock's Beard Discography thread  (Read 111910 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Spock's Beard Discography thread - v. Noise Floor (2018)
« Reply #1050 on: March 04, 2022, 07:45:24 AM »
I see a lot of guys from Progject are on the album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline HOF

« Reply #1051 on: April 03, 2022, 01:44:31 PM »
Another awesome video of Nick performing Gibberish for his new Drum Channel course. He just never ceases to amaze me with his talent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PKP5GRT8mE

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1052 on: April 04, 2022, 08:52:37 PM »
So I'm watching this interview on the Sonic Perspectives with John Boegehold and Ted Leonard, and they keep referring to SB as "that other band". They also brought up the song "Much Ado", written by Ted for the new P-SA album, which is a song he's written for over a decade and originally wanted to do it with "that other band" (at John's insistence), and finally Ted was convinced to do with P-SA for their third album because "that other band" has been dragging their feet on making a new album.

Given Ted's attitude, I'd say he's not the one holding SB back from making a new album, and given that Dave (and I guess Jimmy, even though he left SB before Noise Floor) is also a part of Pattern-Seeking Animals, we can rule him out too since they're working together. Ryo has been busy with his solo album and the ProgJect, whose tour just started tonight.

Seems like, as my gut has been telling me, that Al is probably the one holding them back from wanting to reconvene and make a new album. I wonder if he feels slighted by the others for all doing other projects, especially Ted and Dave joining John for P-SA, all three of which have contributed quite a bit to the last few SB albums. Either way, I'm willing to bet that we aren't going to see another SB album ever again. Ted, in this interview, even (jokingly) says "it could be another decade before they (SB) make another album".

I've actually given up hope that SB will make a 14th studio album, but hey, if they want to prove me wrong and make one more album to celebrate their 30th anniversary in 2025, I wouldn't be made. I've kind of wished they would reach their 15th album by their 30th anniversary, just for the neatness of the numbers.

Anyways, at least there's Pattern-Seeking Animals, which doesn't quite scratch the itch left by SB, but it definitely scratches other itches.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline HOF

« Reply #1053 on: April 04, 2022, 09:02:20 PM »
I imagine it has more to do with Al just sort of winding down at this age (he’s 63). I would agree he’s probably the one holding back another album though. I still think, judging by things Neal has said on his podcast and considering that he’s had all of the band (except Ryo for whatever reason) on his podcast recently, if they were to do something again it would be some sort of a reunion album with Neal and Nick and Ted involved. Feels like they’d need something like Neal getting involved again to get everyone/Al motivated.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1054 on: April 04, 2022, 09:19:36 PM »
I imagine it has more to do with Al just sort of winding down at this age (he’s 63). I would agree he’s probably the one holding back another album though. I still think, judging by things Neal has said on his podcast and considering that he’s had all of the band (except Ryo for whatever reason) on his podcast recently, if they were to do something again it would be some sort of a reunion album with Neal and Nick and Ted involved. Feels like they’d need something like Neal getting involved again to get everyone/Al motivated.

I could see that happening. Nick did rejoin to drum on Noise Floor, and they all seemed to enjoy performing Snow Live at Morsefest in 2016, so a reunion album would be a big sell, especially if they say it'll be their last album. They could pull a Porcupine Tree! Just don't leave anyone out unless they say they don't want to participate!  :lol

Knowing Neal, if he did do some reunion album with the Beard, he'd probably write enough material to do a double, make it another concept album, and go big with everything. Have different characters voiced by himself, Nick, Ted, and maybe even Jimmy and Al. A sequel to Snow might be a bit trite, but I wouldn't say "no" to it, though I'd rather see something original from Neal and company.

But as I said, I won't hold my breath for any news regarding SB. Ted even mentioned in the end of the Sonic Perspectives interview, when asked about the current situation/future for SB, that he had nothing to say, so I guess there really isn't anything going on. He did bring up that they were supposed to be touring Europe last month, but because of COVID, that tour had to be canceled. I wonder if that has put another nail in the coffin for SB?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1055 on: April 04, 2022, 09:59:01 PM »
At this point it seems that SB is mostly done unless they do a small tour here and there or a full on reunion with Neal and Nick, and Neal doesn't seem too interested in doing that, sadly.

Ted seems very frustrated with the current band situation, and I don't blame him. At least he's going to do the new TA tour and then PSA just released a killer new album and are playing some shows too. PSA is as close as it gets to a new SB album anyway, so I wouldn't mind him, Dave & co. moving on with that one as their "main" thing.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1056 on: April 04, 2022, 10:39:44 PM »
PSA is as close as it gets to a new SB album anyway, so I wouldn't mind him, Dave & co. moving on with that one as their "main" thing.

Agreed, and they seem ready and willing to write and record together as well. In fact, in that interview with Sonic Perspectives, John brought up that, in the time it took between sending off the masters of Only Passing Through and the album's eventual release (which was delayed by six months or so, originally set for release late last year, pushed back due to vinyl production delays), he's already written four new songs that have reached "critical mass" (his words). I would wager that he'll have another album's worth of material by year's end and the band will begin recording P-SA 4 by the end of the year, and aim for a Summer/Fall 2023 release.

Four PS-A albums in just over four years. At this rate, they're quickly becoming one of my favorite bands of the last decade and they've only been around for three years or so, but given their camaraderie and prior work together through SB, they've got a certain chemistry that works so well. John knows how to write for Ted, Dave, and Jimmy, and he writes to their strengths. Honestly, if I had to pick between the three SB albums with Ted and the three PS-A albums, I would have a hard time deciding which group I'd prefer over the other. There's just something fresh and refreshing about the PS-A music that I really enjoy, be it the arrangements, instrumentation, song structures, or just the brilliant performances from each player, it's a lot of fun to listen to their music. I hope they get a lot of positive response and reception at the Cruise!

-Marc.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1057 on: April 05, 2022, 01:11:54 AM »
Ted might be frustrated with the Spock's Beard situation, because by the time he joined, he thought that was going to be his next big thing. However, even though his first album with the band was a success, the following two didn't quite take off. And given the quality of Noise floor (one of my least favorite SB albums), they might as well take a break and come back in a few years. I don't find it odd that some of the band members don't feel like putting in the effort. My guess is also that Alan isn't feeling it.

But yeah, there is also a possibility that SB isn't coming back. That's where P-SA comes into the game. However, it is also possible that SB might reunite with Neal and Nick at some point and put out an album with six guys on there. Time will tell.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1058 on: April 05, 2022, 04:43:07 AM »
I imagine it has more to do with Al just sort of winding down at this age (he’s 63).

But then Ryo is 62 and Dave is 66 and they don't seem to be winding down.

I would like another SB record but I'm not holding my breath for it.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1059 on: April 05, 2022, 07:07:10 AM »
This feels like one of those "fans need to let go" situations.  It feels like almost everyone in the band has moved on to other things, so why force another Spock's Beard album just for the sake of it?  Bands come and go. They had a great run, but it appears over, and that is fine.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1060 on: April 05, 2022, 07:20:09 AM »
Keep in mind that the band hasn't exactly attracted crowds over the recent years. They are considered legends among the niche of hardcore progheads, but they do not draw more than a couple hundred people at the shows. If they take a break and come back in five years, people might look at it like a comeback and there might be more fans lining up.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1061 on: April 05, 2022, 09:57:57 AM »
PSA is as close as it gets to a new SB album anyway, so I wouldn't mind him, Dave & co. moving on with that one as their "main" thing.

Agreed, and they seem ready and willing to write and record together as well. In fact, in that interview with Sonic Perspectives, John brought up that, in the time it took between sending off the masters of Only Passing Through and the album's eventual release (which was delayed by six months or so, originally set for release late last year, pushed back due to vinyl production delays), he's already written four new songs that have reached "critical mass" (his words). I would wager that he'll have another album's worth of material by year's end and the band will begin recording P-SA 4 by the end of the year, and aim for a Summer/Fall 2023 release.

Four PS-A albums in just over four years. At this rate, they're quickly becoming one of my favorite bands of the last decade and they've only been around for three years or so, but given their camaraderie and prior work together through SB, they've got a certain chemistry that works so well. John knows how to write for Ted, Dave, and Jimmy, and he writes to their strengths. Honestly, if I had to pick between the three SB albums with Ted and the three PS-A albums, I would have a hard time deciding which group I'd prefer over the other. There's just something fresh and refreshing about the PS-A music that I really enjoy, be it the arrangements, instrumentation, song structures, or just the brilliant performances from each player, it's a lot of fun to listen to their music. I hope they get a lot of positive response and reception at the Cruise!

-Marc.

After listening to Only Passing Through, I'd say a new P-SA album next year would be the best SB related news we could ever get apart from a reunion with Neal (which probably won't ever happen).

Ted might be frustrated with the Spock's Beard situation, because by the time he joined, he thought that was going to be his next big thing. However, even though his first album with the band was a success, the following two didn't quite take off. And given the quality of Noise floor (one of my least favorite SB albums), they might as well take a break and come back in a few years. I don't find it odd that some of the band members don't feel like putting in the effort. My guess is also that Alan isn't feeling it.

I remember an interview with Ted a while ago where he said that some of the band members hated/didn't like Noise Floor for whatever reason (and he wasn't one of them). Hard to see them getting back into the studio when even some of them weren't too fond of the last one anyway. Also, Ted has made comments before on how he loves being not just a vocalist but also a guitar player. The new band they have lets him be the guy for both things, so I'd say he enjoys that role more than his role in Spock's.

This feels like one of those "fans need to let go" situations.  It feels like almost everyone in the band has moved on to other things, so why force another Spock's Beard album just for the sake of it?  Bands come and go. They had a great run, but it appears over, and that is fine.

This is where I'm at too. P-SA works well enough for me to the point I don't really need another SB record unless it's a super special thing like something with Neal again. Also, Ryo's new solo album releases this year and IIRC it features Ted, Nick, Jimmy, Dave and Alan anyway. That's close enough too :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1062 on: April 05, 2022, 04:10:13 PM »
From what I understand they postpones European dates this year. Still sounds like they'd like to play still.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline HOF

« Reply #1063 on: May 07, 2022, 02:52:09 PM »
7/29/22 release date for Ryo's new album. Presale starting on 5/24.

https://www.ryookumoto.com/ja/mostrophus/?fbclid=IwAR26vkO9PVtDFceEAlPA2hEB5l0IwqqjET9RaOkQPHKQ8GnkLRSO5JW4bb0

Artwork is something!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1064 on: May 07, 2022, 04:11:59 PM »
That is a friggin' awesome cover!

I will be picking this one up.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1065 on: May 22, 2022, 07:48:45 PM »
That is a friggin' awesome cover!

I will be picking this one up.

As will I because it's Ryo.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1066 on: May 23, 2022, 08:48:54 AM »
https://www.ryookumoto.com/mostrophus/

Pre-orders for Ryo's new solo album are now up at his store! I ordered the Japanese edition CD with bonus tracks and tacked on the Demos CD as well cuz why not? Since I got the Japanese edition I probably won't get mine til mid-August but that's okay. Something to look forward to!

-Marc.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1067 on: May 23, 2022, 09:12:55 AM »
Cool, almost 32 minutes of Ryo's album are composed by him and performed by Spock's Beard! I have great expectations for this album as I think Coming Through is a very good album.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1068 on: May 24, 2022, 02:04:02 PM »
Cool, almost 32 minutes of Ryo's album are composed by him and performed by Spock's Beard! I have great expectations for this album as I think Coming Through is a very good album.

This got me very excited too! It's like a new SB EP, written by Ryo. I wish he had gotten Neal there too though, as he got everybody else except him (and Mike Thorne, but he was never a full member).

Offline emtee

« Reply #1069 on: May 24, 2022, 03:14:50 PM »
How much $ do you think Ryo makes on a project like this that may only sell 1 or 2K albums?

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1070 on: May 25, 2022, 03:41:05 AM »
How much $ do you think Ryo makes on a project like this that may only sell 1 or 2K albums?

I think about this a lot.

I can't imagine the last albums by The Tangent, Flower Kings, Gungfly or even Pain Of Salvation selling that many albums that the band can live off the earnings.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1071 on: May 25, 2022, 08:52:52 AM »
I don't think it's about the money for some people/bands.  Especially with how broken the music industry is, I don't think a guy like Ryo is ever going to be super popular or mega rich, but he's got a name out there and some cred, so he makes music.  I wouldn't be surprised if guys in that situation actually lose money on albums.  But what else are they gonna do?  This is what they do.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #1072 on: May 25, 2022, 09:23:53 AM »
Idk if anyone here watches the Eric Andre Show on Adult Swim(probably no one but me), but Ryo was the keyboard player for Eric’s house band in Season 5

https://youtu.be/yW-EkJ2hUR4

The most SFW clip from that show I could post. Certainly not the most shocking thing to happen on that show, but as a fan of SB and Eric Andre, I never expected those two worlds to collide  :lol
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 09:31:00 AM by Metropolaris »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1073 on: May 25, 2022, 10:03:33 AM »
See, that's what I mean.  He took that gig and it paid the bills for a while.  He plays on someone's album and picks up some green.  He's in the biz and known amongst those who need to know.  He makes a solo album because he wants to and it's doable.  He knows he's not gonna be the next Rick Wakeman or anything, but he's a working musician, working.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1074 on: June 01, 2022, 12:25:37 PM »
June... came upon us much too soon...

-Marc.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1075 on: June 22, 2022, 06:04:32 PM »
I don't think it's about the money for some people/bands.  Especially with how broken the music industry is, I don't think a guy like Ryo is ever going to be super popular or mega rich, but he's got a name out there and some cred, so he makes music.  I wouldn't be surprised if guys in that situation actually lose money on albums.  But what else are they gonna do?  This is what they do.

Unless you have a machine behind you, there isn't much money that comes with being a musician these days.  Sadly, if you can pay your bills that has to qualify for being a financial success so you have to love what you're doing to make it worthwhile.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1076 on: June 23, 2022, 07:15:15 AM »
Ryo Okumoto, long-time keyboardist for prog rock group Spock’s Beard, recently announced his new solo album ‘The Myth of the Mostrophus’, due out on July 29th, 2022 on InsideOutMusic. The six song prog extravaganza features Okumoto’s signature style accompanied by the talents of a who’s who of progressive rock.

Today, Ryo is pleased to share the video for the single “The Watchmaker” which you can see here:
https://youtu.be/g8Xz5qZFZ1g

Offline emtee

« Reply #1077 on: June 23, 2022, 07:51:09 AM »
That had zero feels. I'll be passing on this one.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1078 on: June 23, 2022, 10:05:26 AM »
I thought it sounded pretty good.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1079 on: June 23, 2022, 12:40:24 PM »
I want to listen to it, but given that we are a little over a month from release, I'll just wait. I've got new PT to spin until then anyway, but I am still very much looking forward to this. Coming Through is one of my favorite SB-member solo albums, and the stacked guest list for this new one is impressive.

-Marc.

Offline Kram

« Reply #1080 on: June 23, 2022, 01:50:41 PM »
That had zero feels. I'll be passing on this one.
That song did nothing for me either sadly.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1081 on: July 02, 2022, 06:17:04 PM »
Still haven't heard it. Haven't figured out which version to get yet.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1082 on: July 19, 2022, 08:54:12 AM »
Here's a clip of NDV recording his drums for the title track. This track sounds a lot more promising than the lead single, though it's only a small snippet of a 22 minute track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfVt80OhBJE

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1083 on: July 19, 2022, 09:26:32 AM »
Here's a clip of NDV recording his drums for the title track. This track sounds a lot more promising than the lead single, though it's only a small snippet of a 22 minute track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfVt80OhBJE

Ryo posted a clip of NDV tracking drums for one of the songs on his new solo album, and it sounds really good.

https://fb.watch/85LoS37KF7/

Not sure who that is singing. Thought it might be Nick at first, but the inflection doesn't sound like him. Pretty sure it's someone else, but it sounds great. Looking forward to this one coming out.

Seems like the same clip from last September. Even noticed that the YouTube one says it was posted 10 months ago.

We are just ten days away from release date!

-Marc.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1084 on: July 19, 2022, 09:50:48 AM »
Ha! Forgot all about the prior clip.