Author Topic: Spock's Beard Discography thread  (Read 111555 times)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: Spock's Beard Discography thread - v. Noise Floor (2018)
« Reply #1015 on: July 26, 2021, 05:52:35 PM »
I listened to Octane this past weekend. What a great and underrated album!

I'd say SB is a great and underrated band!

I watched the Holland DVD over the weekend. They really were unstoppable when Neal was in the band.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1016 on: July 30, 2021, 02:20:18 PM »
https://youtu.be/ZN_oDcuch4c

Doug Helvering has posted his reaction to "At The End Of The Day", which is his first foray into SB and Neal Morse, as far as I'm aware.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 02:45:13 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1017 on: July 30, 2021, 02:29:18 PM »
https://youtu.be/ZN_oDcuch4c

Doug Helvering has posted his reaction to "At The End Of The Day", which first foray into SB and Neal Morse, as far as I'm aware.

-Marc.

One of my favorite SB songs! Hope he enjoyed it as much as I do. Will watch his video now :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1018 on: August 21, 2021, 06:21:13 PM »
Ryo and Jimmy will be guest musicians on the upcoming Lobate Scarp album. You can find more information here.

You can see some pics and videos of their sessions at the Mouse House on Facebook here.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1019 on: August 28, 2021, 02:39:46 PM »
I'd really love it if Ryo released a full solo album.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1020 on: August 28, 2021, 03:32:22 PM »

There’s this one:

https://ryookumoto.bandcamp.com/album/coming-through

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1021 on: August 28, 2021, 03:33:16 PM »

You mean a fifth one? He's already had four, but the last one was in 2002, probably the most accessible one, Coming Through, which features his SB band mates (including Neal) and members of Toto. Really great album too, which I spin from time to time!

Ninja'd by HOF. :facepalm:

-Marc.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1022 on: August 28, 2021, 04:29:48 PM »

You mean a fifth one? He's already had four, but the last one was in 2002, probably the most accessible one, Coming Through, which features his SB band mates (including Neal) and members of Toto. Really great album too, which I spin from time to time!

Ninja'd by HOF. :facepalm:

-Marc.

Thanks! I have the EP Winners Of The Heart or something like that which I really never got into. Don't know how I completely missed Coming Through.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1023 on: August 29, 2021, 05:01:32 PM »
Well look at that, Ryo just posted on Facebook that he’s at Sweetwater tracking drums with NDV for an upcoming solo album:

https://m.facebook.com/#!/story.php?story_fbid=353151409800596&id=100053172201295

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1024 on: August 29, 2021, 05:13:42 PM »
Well look at that, Ryo just posted on Facebook that he’s at Sweetwater tracking drums with NDV for an upcoming solo album:

https://m.facebook.com/#!/story.php?story_fbid=353151409800596&id=100053172201295

Folks, I have a wonderful announcement!

We recently recorded two drum tracks at Sweetwater Studios with my friend Nick D'Virgilio for my upcoming 5th solo album.

“Mirror Mirror” is the first song on the album, and “The Myth of the Mostrophus” (the title track), a 22-minute epic closes out the record.

Nick recorded both songs in 4 hours. It was incredible! Nick is such a great drummer. I have had killer drummers before — on my second album it was legend Jeff Porcaro and on my last album was the incomparable Simon Phillips. Two of the best drummers in the world…but I have to say Nick always was and always will be my favorite player.  Besides his technique, the drumming is so musical; his drums sing!

It’s not easy to find a drummer who possesses that rare combination of feel, groove, and chops. He simply knows how to make songs more dynamic, and he understands what a composer is trying to express within an arrangement. I think the reason he’s as good as he is, is that he’s not only great drummer, but also a fantastic singer and songwriter.  As you know, he was a founding member of Spock’s Beard, first on drums and then on lead vocals, while also playing guitar, bass and keyboards. Such a profoundly talented musician. I can’t wait to finish this album and have you all hear what we’ve been dreaming up for you!

Dave Meros tracks bass next and then Alan Morse on guitar. I can’t wait!

It’s all so exciting!

And Dave Meros will be on it as well! Very exciting news for this SB-starved fan! Also, naming the opening track "Mirror, Mirror" is such a cheeky reference. I love it. I hope he gets Al on the album too!

-Marc.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 08:30:36 AM by The Letter M »

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1025 on: September 02, 2021, 08:21:57 PM »
Doug Helvering has put up his reaction video to "Solitary Soul"/"Wind At My Back", but not the original studio version - he reacted to the Morsefest 2016 Snow Live version.

https://youtu.be/DtUeC7Fu7Sk

Makes me wanna pull out that concert and watch it this weekend, even if that one lyrical flub my Neal still bothers me a bit. 😅

-Marc.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1026 on: September 06, 2021, 10:32:11 AM »
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10159273919585943&id=604185942

Mike Thorne recently shared an at-home session recording of "One So Wise" with Al, Ryo, Dave, and Ted, recorded back in April/May of 2020. It's a fun performance to watch, and it shows that at late as spring 2020, the band were still thinking about playing together in some capacity. Makes me wonder if Mike Thorne will continue drumming for them if the band continues on, either in studio or live.

-Marc.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1027 on: September 16, 2021, 06:00:00 AM »
From InsideOut Facebook:
Legendary US progressive rockers Spock's Beard  are beyond excited to be announcing UK tour dates for March 2022.

Alan Morse comments:
“We're just so excited to get back on the road again, we can't wait to see all our friends we've missed so much during this crazy time. We are ready to rock! We're planning to play some of the Spock's "classics" we know y'all love to hear, plus some surprises you haven't heard in a long time - or maybe ever! Come up and say hello! Hope everyone is rested up and ready for a major supernova of prog rock madness, cos we're bringing it, baby!”

Here’s the complete list of dates:
14/03 - Leeds, Brudenell Social Club
15/03 - Glasgow, G2
16/03 - Bilston, Robin 2
17/03 - London, 229
18/03 - Great Yarmouth, HRH Prog

Tickets will go on sale on September 17th at 10 a.m. GMT.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online DTA

« Reply #1028 on: September 16, 2021, 06:19:09 AM »
Even though I’m in the US and won’t see them, I’m really happy to see SB still together and doing stuff.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1029 on: September 16, 2021, 06:20:29 AM »
From InsideOut Facebook:
Legendary US progressive rockers Spock's Beard  are beyond excited to be announcing UK tour dates for March 2022.

Alan Morse comments:
“We're just so excited to get back on the road again, we can't wait to see all our friends we've missed so much during this crazy time. We are ready to rock! We're planning to play some of the Spock's "classics" we know y'all love to hear, plus some surprises you haven't heard in a long time - or maybe ever! Come up and say hello! Hope everyone is rested up and ready for a major supernova of prog rock madness, cos we're bringing it, baby!”

Here’s the complete list of dates:
14/03 - Leeds, Brudenell Social Club
15/03 - Glasgow, G2
16/03 - Bilston, Robin 2
17/03 - London, 229
18/03 - Great Yarmouth, HRH Prog

Tickets will go on sale on September 17th at 10 a.m. GMT.

Hooray! Hopefully a new album at some point eventually as well.

Offline gborland

« Reply #1030 on: September 16, 2021, 09:17:55 AM »
This is an unexpected delight! I will be at the Glasgow show!
Graham Borland

Online devieira73

« Reply #1031 on: September 16, 2021, 10:12:17 AM »
By the way, Mike Thorne as drummer. :tup

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1032 on: September 16, 2021, 10:15:31 AM »
If they aren't working on a new studio album, I hope this tour yields a new live album from the band, especially if the set list will include some SB rarities! The Ted-Led SB has had very few live albums, and they're not very big shows either (Live At Sea, High Voltage, Live At Sweetwater - they're all very short single-disc shows with a bit of over-lap).

All in all, I'm glad that they haven't thrown the towel in yet!

-Marc.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1033 on: September 16, 2021, 10:42:57 AM »
Looks like I have to go to England next spring.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline gborland

« Reply #1034 on: September 16, 2021, 02:44:59 PM »
Looks like I have to go to England next spring.

or Scotland
Graham Borland

Offline HOF

« Reply #1035 on: September 18, 2021, 09:24:53 AM »
Ryo posted a clip of NDV tracking drums for one of the songs on his new solo album, and it sounds really good.

https://fb.watch/85LoS37KF7/

Not sure who that is singing. Thought it might be Nick at first, but the inflection doesn't sound like him. Pretty sure it's someone else, but it sounds great. Looking forward to this one coming out.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1036 on: January 02, 2022, 12:11:30 AM »
Found out from Ryo that his upcoming solo album, The Myth Of The Mostrophus, will be out on July 29th from Inside Out.

The album will feature his bandmates in SB, past and present (Dave, Alan, and Nick, who recorded drums on 2 songs, including the 22-minute title track and cleverly titled "Mirror, Mirror"), as well as Michael Whiteman (co-producer), Jonathan Mover (drums on 4 tracks), Randy McStine (guitar/vocals), Doug Wimbish (bass), and Steve Lukather (I believe).

-Marc.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 02:09:56 PM by The Letter M »

Online devieira73

« Reply #1037 on: January 02, 2022, 08:39:24 AM »
Glad to know! His last solo album is great, so I’m very excited for this new one!

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1038 on: January 06, 2022, 01:53:00 PM »
I'm not sure if anyone here was going to see SB live in the UK this spring, but it looks like all of their upcoming tour dates have been cancelled.

I kind of hope this tour cancellation means that they'll take this time to start working on a new album. It's been over 3 years since Noise Floor, and while I liked that album quite a lot, I really hope it wasn't their last one. They're still wanting to play together, as evidenced by the now-cancelled tour, so I hope they've got it in them to do at least one more album.

-Marc.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1039 on: January 19, 2022, 08:42:46 AM »
Neal posted on social media today that both The Light and Beware Of Darkness celebrate anniversaries this month!

The Light turns 27
Beware Of Darkness turned 26

Hard to believe those albums are as old now as the original Yes and Genesis albums were when Spock's Beard debuted on the prog scene!

Personally, I rate BOD very highly, a top 3 SB album for me, and The Light is really good too!

-Marc.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1040 on: January 19, 2022, 09:07:36 AM »
I re-listened to both of those recently (along with the other Morse-era SB albums), and they definitely still hold up.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1041 on: January 19, 2022, 09:12:38 AM »
Neal posted on social media today that both The Light and Beware Of Darkness celebrate anniversaries this month!

The Light turns 27

Hard to believe those albums are as old now as the original Yes and Genesis albums were when Spock's Beard debuted on the prog scene!

Personally, I rate BOD very highly, a top 3 SB album for me, and The Light is really good too!

-Marc.

Both are great, though I also prefer Beware of Darkness. You might say Images and Words did more to reinvigorate progressive music, but in terms of things outside of the Prog metal realm, I think the arrival of Neal Morse onto the scene was kind of the spark that really ignited the modern revival of progressive music outside of the metal realm.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1042 on: January 19, 2022, 10:21:47 AM »

The Light turns 27

-Marc.

Both are great, though I also prefer Beware of Darkness. You might say Images and Words did more to reinvigorate progressive music, but in terms of things outside of the Prog metal realm, I think the arrival of Neal Morse onto the scene was kind of the spark that really ignited the modern revival of progressive music outside of the metal realm.

Oh definitely. Between Neal/SB and Roine Stolt/The Flower Kings, the mid-90s was definitely a major third-wave of prog, revisiting the sounds of Yes/Genesis in a way that was respectful but not plagiarism to the point of direct comparisons (looking at you 80s Neo Prog). I would definitely throw in bands like DT and Porcupine Trees in there as well, covering influences like Rush and Pink Floyd respectively. There's a reason those four bands (DT, PT, SB, and TFK) are among my favorites. They modernized and propelled progressive rock into the new millennium. And thankfully, folks like Neal, Roine, and Steven Wilson are all still very active to this day, over 25 years later.

-Marc.

Online Kram

« Reply #1043 on: January 19, 2022, 12:54:19 PM »
Beware of Darkness is my second favorite Spocks album after V.  Love every track on it!  The Light is great too

Offline HOF

« Reply #1044 on: January 20, 2022, 02:44:27 PM »
Nick D'Virgilio has been doing a "Groovy Thursday" feature on his YouTube channel where he demonstrates different drum grooves. Today he did the opening groove from Mommy Comes Back. Always fun to watch him play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULlPi7693Cc

Offline HOF

« Reply #1045 on: February 05, 2022, 12:44:09 PM »
This could have gone a number of places, but NDV is Neal’s guest on his latest Musicians Having Coffee & Talking About Stuff podcast, and they spent a good chunk of time discussing the early days of Spock’s Beard. Some stuff I’d never really heard before. Kind of amazed to hear that both Neal and Nick were heavy smokers back in the day. A lot of reminiscing about Spock’s, but also some talk about BBT and Troika and stuff. Really fun conversation to be able to sit in on. Makes me so happy to see these two working together again.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sRLwWMMwhO4&fbclid=IwAR1cEGwVmtBrlTf4OMAWkeas9i3_3cQo9YhL_OnlKUKl0pN3YI8VZiSrI-c

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1046 on: February 05, 2022, 12:50:48 PM »
I know I keep saying this, but I really need to check out post-NM Beard.   

When he left, I thought to continue without him was akin to Richard, Colin, and Gavin continuing as PT without Steven Wilson...which is ludicrous.

But since then, I've heard many good things, and I did pick up (and somewhat enjoyed) BNaDS and TOP on the strength of Ted Leonard joining the fold.  But I haven't heard a single thing from FE thru X, nor have I heard Noise Floor.   So I should look into that. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline HOF

« Reply #1047 on: February 05, 2022, 12:56:56 PM »

When he left, I thought to continue without him was akin to Richard, Colin, and Gavin continuing as PT without Steven Wilson...which is ludicrous.

But since then, I've heard many good things, and I did pick up (and somewhat enjoyed) BNaDS and TOP on the strength of Ted Leonard joining the fold.  But I haven't heard a single thing from FE thru X, nor have I heard Noise Floor.   So I should look into that.

It’s funny, Neal played a clip of From Out of Darkness from X at the end of that podcast, so I’m currently listening to that one right now. It’s a really great track.

Of the Nick era albums, X sounds the best but has a few clunkers on it. I really like Feel Euphoria and the self titled album with Nick, but all four of those albums have some real highs mixed with a few clunkers. Definitely worth checking out though.

I’m kind of alone on this island, but I love Noise Floor and think it is one of the best post-Neal albums. But part of that is because I mentally include the extra tracks from the bonus disc, which are really great. It’s unique in that it has Nick on drums and Ted on vocals, which is an outstanding lineup that I had hoped would continue, but they don’t seem to be in any rush to make more SB music right now.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1048 on: February 05, 2022, 02:49:58 PM »

It’s funny, Neal played a clip of From Out of Darkness from X at the end of that podcast, so I’m currently listening to that one right now. It’s a really great track.

Of the Nick era albums, X sounds the best but has a few clunkers on it. I really like Feel Euphoria and the self titled album with Nick, but all four of those albums have some real highs mixed with a few clunkers. Definitely worth checking out though.

I’m kind of alone on this island, but I love Noise Floor and think it is one of the best post-Neal albums. But part of that is because I mentally include the extra tracks from the bonus disc, which are really great. It’s unique in that it has Nick on drums and Ted on vocals, which is an outstanding lineup that I had hoped would continue, but they don’t seem to be in any rush to make more SB music right now.

"From The Darkness" is one of my absolute favorite NDV-era epics, and one that I always enjoy when I spin X. And there's good stuff on each of those four albums, really, so I can see how one might be one person's favorite and be another's least favorite. It just depends on what you like, but I enjoy them all almost equally, but Octane and X more so than the other two.

As for Noise Floor, if that's the last SB album we ever get, it's a fairly strong one to go out one. Something about having Nick back on the kit worked wonders for that album, though that isn't to say Jimmy was no slouch, he sounded fantastic on BNADS and TOP, but getting Nick back for NF was a treat. Hard to believe NF will turn four years old this year, and if they make another album again, this will have been the longest gap between any two SB albums since SB9-X from 2006 to 2010.  I'm still holding out hope they've got at least two more albums in them to get to XV!

-Marc.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1049 on: March 04, 2022, 07:42:59 AM »
An update on Ryo's solo album:

This is it! Signing contract with Insideout Music Record Company for upcoming my solo album! Start mixing at Mouser Studio next week. I’m very excited about it!! Check out artist on this album below.

いよいよ5枚目のソロアルバム制作をプログレ界の1番大きなレコード会社“Insideout Music (ソニー)”との契約を交わした! 来週からあの“リッチ・マウザー”のスタジオでミックス開始。発売は7月29日。期待して‼︎ 下記がメンバー

Recording artist:
Keyboards: Ryo Okumoto
Guitars: Steve Hackett (GENESIS), Mike Keneally (Frank Zappa), Marc Bonilla (KEITH EMERSON) Randy McStine, Lyle Workman, Alan Morse (Spock's Beard), Michael Whiteman (Manic Whale)
Bass: Dave Meros (Spock’s Beard), Doug Wimbish (Living Color)
Drums and Percussion: Nick D'Virgilio (Spock’s Beard), Jonathan Mover (GTR, Alice Cooper, MirkKo De Maio (The Flower Kings, Ryo Okumoto
Woodwind: Andy Suzuki
Cello: Raphael Weinroth-Browne
Vocals: Michael Whiteman, Michael Sadler (Saga), Randy McStine. Nick D’Virgilio, Ted Leonard, Jimmy Keegan, Kevin Krohn, Keiko Okumoto

It will be released in July 29th!

-Marc.