Author Topic: Is it possible to get Shakespeare plays in "novel" form?  (Read 4520 times)

Offline npiazza91

Is it possible to get Shakespeare plays in "novel" form?
« on: August 27, 2015, 06:27:43 PM »
I'm a huge reader but I cannot bring myself to read a play or a script for fun.  It makes me lose my mind, just the way it is written.  I was wondering if any author had maybe written his stories in novel form.  I know a lot of you will probably say that nothing will compare to the "original", but sorry, I just can't enjoy reading a play.  I don't mind if it's an old English, that doesn't bother me.  I want to read Macbeth, Romeo and Juliet, Hamlet and a couple others.  I obviously know the basic plot of these and I know how it ends, but I want to read the full story.  Also, if you have read any of them, how did they compare to the original story?  How much do they deviate?

Thanks.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
Re: Is it possible to get Shakespeare plays in "novel" form?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 07:06:15 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/Macbeth-Novelization-Shakespeares-Classic-Shakespeare/dp/1492902446

The one review says it sucks and was poorly edited. But the writer's name is Thomas Flesh  :lol

Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 07:50:33 AM »
As an English major, I would just like to say that this is the worst idea ever.

If you don't want to read the play, then watch the play.  That's how it exists.  Any novelization would no longer be Shakespeare.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 10:26:38 AM »
A :good: Shakespeare book would be very fuckin novel :neverusethis:

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 02:53:33 PM »
I'm a huge reader but I cannot bring myself to read a play or a script for fun.  It makes me lose my mind, just the way it is written.  I was wondering if any author had maybe written his stories in novel form.  I know a lot of you will probably say that nothing will compare to the "original", but sorry, I just can't enjoy reading a play.  I don't mind if it's an old English, that doesn't bother me.  I want to read Macbeth, Romeo and Juliet, Hamlet and a couple others.  I obviously know the basic plot of these and I know how it ends, but I want to read the full story.  Also, if you have read any of them, how did they compare to the original story?  How much do they deviate?

Thanks.
They weren't written to be read, they were written to be performed. So you're best off going to see one, on stage or on film.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 03:02:03 PM »
Then again, there has to be 1000 novels out there that essentially use the plot(s) to one of Shakespeare's plays as their basis. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 03:04:40 PM »

Thanks.
They weren't written to be read, they were written to be performed. So you're best off going to see one, on stage or on film.

Yes and No.  I've never had an issue reading plays and "seeing it" all in my head.  Theater is obviously a different medium from the written novel, but reading a play, complete with stage direction, etc., is the closest thing to getting a play in written form.

I want to read Macbeth, Romeo and Juliet, Hamlet and a couple others.  I obviously know the basic plot of these and I know how it ends, but I want to read the full story.

I don't understand this.  The plays are the full story.  Shakespeare wrote plays, stories fully realized for the stage.  What is it you think you're missing?

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 05:56:54 PM »
I think he's saying he wants the full story that the play provides, but in a different format because he hates that format. I agree with others though, just see it performed!

Offline 425

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 12:37:54 AM »
As an English major, I would just like to say that this is the worst idea ever.

If you don't want to read the play, then watch the play.  That's how it exists.  Any novelization would no longer be Shakespeare.

Yep. Even if the novelist used all or most of Shakespeare's original dialogue, tons of the poetic elements, like the rhythm, would be lost.

I do get that it can seem inaccessible to read a play. That's why I agree—watch the play, maybe watch a film version of it if that makes more sense. The 1968 Franco Zeffirelli version of Romeo and Juliet is a pretty good adaptation of that play, and then for Hamlet, many swear by the Kenneth Branagh version, which is quite good, but I have a personal affection for the Mel Gibson version, which really shows how visceral and passionate Shakespeare's dialogue can be when read that way. I think if you watch a couple of Shakespeare plays performed or in film versions, you'll start to pick up some more on the cadence, on the way the dialogue sounds and is performed, and it'll be easier to get if you then decide to read the text of a play. Also, if you watch, say, Hamlet[ and feel like you missed some stuff, then you can go back and read it and really kind of work back and forth between the mediums to figure out all of what's going on. Maybe from watching the film you get a general idea of the plot, but miss a lot of it in the complexity of the dialogue, and then you read the play and get a little more, and then go back to the film, then go back to the text to pick up more nuance, etc. I don't know, this is pretty much what I do. I love Shakespeare.

Also, hef, I didn't know you were an English major! I'm currently studying English myself.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 12:48:41 AM »
there's an amazing movie adaptation of Much Ado About Nothing, go watch it
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2015, 05:15:56 AM »
hef, I didn't know you were an English major! I'm currently studying English myself.
I knew I liked you for some reason.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline 425

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2015, 01:55:16 PM »
:tup
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2015, 02:13:15 PM »
Just stopping by to say hey to the English majors!

I kind of don't have a response to this. I don't know of any good novelizations either, but it's just a matter of getting used to the format. One of the first books I read was a play by a famous Serbian playwright Branislav Nušić, and I went on to devour all of his works, so I got used to reading plays when I was very young. You can really just pick out a nice film and enjoy that instead, or go see some of them if they're performed near you.

Gotta say that Shakespeare isn't my favorite though. Not sure why. We have a whole subject dedicated to his works but my teachers butchered it, so maybe that's why I'm soured on him.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2015, 03:12:59 PM »
English peoples unite!
I was an English (Creative Writing) minor. I started out wanting to major but realized there was no way I was going to become a teacher (because kids), so changed my course  :lol

Offline masterthes

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2015, 04:58:15 AM »
A novelisation of a Shakespeare play is wrong and sacrilegous

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2015, 11:23:54 AM »
Speaking of Shakespeare and wrong and sacrilegious...

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2015, 11:42:14 AM »
 :lol

That looks like a fun read if you ask me
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2015, 12:40:27 PM »
Obviously tongue-in-cheek  :lol
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2015, 03:05:16 PM »
Would read.

Would not purchase.

Offline Sub Luna Vitrea

• literally Emma Goldman
  • go team
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2015, 03:09:31 AM »
Not a bad idea. The whole concept of writing plays in iambic pentameter was pretty dumb from the start. I think it was out of a misguided attempt to emulate the Greeks and Romans, but they used vowel length, not stress. If Shakespeare were alive today he would probably write Oscar-winning Hollywood movies.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2015, 02:05:03 PM »
I appreciate the time that must have gone into that.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2015, 08:57:38 PM »
Nothing beats Shakespeare with an Aldis lamp. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLWUSka0HOw

At the same time, "Seriously, Hamlet!" is a fantastic title. Sums the whole thing up brilliantly.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson