Author Topic: The jingle Roulette Trilogy - Final Results - no more mind games  (Read 81319 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The jingle Roulette Trilogy - Round 4 is spinning
« Reply #700 on: October 09, 2015, 05:02:14 PM »
I don't mind either way dude.  Speeding it up would give me less time to think too much about submissions so probably that.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #701 on: October 09, 2015, 06:05:47 PM »
I don't mind either way dude.  Speeding it up would give me less time to think too much about submissions so probably that.

Then maybe you can finally get some work done at the office. Plus you won't need to hire Conrad to build you a sleeping space under your desk

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #702 on: October 09, 2015, 06:10:09 PM »
Quicker.   
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #703 on: October 09, 2015, 06:39:55 PM »

Then maybe you can finally get some work done at the office. Plus you won't need to hire Conrad to build you a sleeping space under your desk

:rollin

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #704 on: October 09, 2015, 08:22:13 PM »
  So, if everyone can submit within 24-ish hours after I post results, we'll be good to continue on as is.

That's fairly ambitious - I am allowing 3 days for submissions (and just making it) and 3-4 days listening.   But having said that the first thing I do is rank and I have that done within a couple of days and the last couple of days are fine tuning ratings (which you have no need to do).   

Some jingly discipline (and the odd threat) will be required for 24 submission window :)

I can give you Rd 5,6,7 and an EP now if you like :neverusethis:
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #705 on: October 09, 2015, 08:58:08 PM »
Well I would vote quicker, but it depends on whether or not you think all of the 11 can keep up with the faster pace. I know some already do, but could everyone? Some people are just always so slow to send.

I think cutting a round is the safer option.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #706 on: October 09, 2015, 09:03:23 PM »
It's not like I'm with-holding themes that anyone has to wait for, so no one should need to do any real "what should I send" thinking at the beginning of a round.  I'd think most have at least some kind of idea, or a few songs in their "inventory" of what they're gonna play - unless they get cock-blocked by someone.  Six days isn't horribly quick, or quicker than I have been running - only one less day ... and now that I've given everyone the heads up, hopefully ya'll try to somewhat map out your final three rounds.

Some people are just always so slow to send.

True... and maybe then those tunes will get a listen (or two) less.

We can make this roulette better than it was.  Better.  Stronger.  Faster.  We have the technology.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #707 on: October 10, 2015, 04:33:31 PM »
  So, if everyone can submit within 24-ish hours after I post results, we'll be good to continue on as is.

That's fairly ambitious - I am allowing 3 days for submissions (and just making it) and 3-4 days listening.   

Shit. In my roulette, I had at least half of the next round before I even posted results for the current round!

I love you guys! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #708 on: October 10, 2015, 05:33:48 PM »
Well you can't compare the TAC roulette to anyone. That wouldn't be fair

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #709 on: October 10, 2015, 05:39:40 PM »
Well you can't compare the TAC roulette to anyone. That wouldn't be fair

I love you guys! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #710 on: October 10, 2015, 05:47:19 PM »
i just open submissions early so that i don't have to wait as long for people to send, i don't listen to any of them until after the previous round's over anyways

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #711 on: October 10, 2015, 07:07:11 PM »
As a participant, I always wanted to see results and how songs scored before submitting, but always have my choices narrowed down to a few songs - unless I'm awating a theme to be announced.

Good crop of songs this time. One clear standout, and the rest are either good or very good.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #712 on: October 10, 2015, 07:25:17 PM »
As a participant, I always wanted to see results and how songs scored before submitting,

Funny, I really don't even read the write-ups for other people's songs.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #713 on: October 11, 2015, 03:55:58 AM »
It's not like I'm with-holding themes that anyone has to wait for, so no one should need to do any real "what should I send" thinking at the beginning of a round.  I'd think most have at least some kind of idea, or a few songs in their "inventory" of what they're gonna play - unless they get cock-blocked by someone.  Six days isn't horribly quick, or quicker than I have been running - only one less day ... and now that I've given everyone the heads up, hopefully ya'll try to somewhat map out your final three rounds.

Some people are just always so slow to send.

True... and maybe then those tunes will get a listen (or two) less.

We can make this roulette better than it was.  Better.  Stronger.  Faster.  We have the technology.

At the end of the day, it's your roulette dude, whatever works for you.  I like the faster rounds idea.  Maybe if people can't keep up and submit in time, they get ranked last for that round, or as you say less listens and less chance to impress.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #714 on: October 11, 2015, 09:23:48 AM »
As a participant, I always wanted to see results and how songs scored before submitting,

That's why you keep losing  :biggrin:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #715 on: October 11, 2015, 01:41:09 PM »

That's why you keep losing  :biggrin:
:rollin

My record ain't that bad!

So far in these people's roulettes I've placed:
Lonestar's: 4th out of 8
Kirksnosehair's: 5th out of 10
Jingle's: 2nd place
Seneca's: 1st place
425's: Last place! :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #716 on: October 11, 2015, 01:42:45 PM »
Don't forget you were 6/12 in mine after the first round!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #717 on: October 11, 2015, 01:43:54 PM »
Don't forget you were 6/12 in mine after the first round!

Gee thanks! :\

:lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #718 on: October 11, 2015, 01:46:12 PM »

I really hope you'll join my v2 though - whole roulette this time. Expecting to host it next year in February or something.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #719 on: October 11, 2015, 01:47:05 PM »

I really hope you'll join my v2 though - whole roulette this time. Expecting to host it next year in February or something.

I definitely will. The timing just wasn't right the first time. I felt really bad about it. I shouldn't have joined in the first place.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #720 on: October 12, 2015, 12:38:50 PM »
Resultz tonight.  Rankings done; writeups done... just got too much to do at the moment.  Should get to it while the girls are watching Dancing With the Stars

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #721 on: October 12, 2015, 12:47:15 PM »
Is Bindi still kicking ass?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #722 on: October 12, 2015, 01:30:24 PM »

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #723 on: October 12, 2015, 01:34:32 PM »
Neither do I, but her dad was a hero of mine.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Let's see if I can make this result posting mistake-free.  Probably not.   :lol

Big Hath - Witherscape / The Math of the Myth
Swano is great, I can take his growls in moderation - which is exactly what happens here.  Musically it rawks - killer keyboard led-intro, lots of variation in the guitar sounds and tones keeps me interested.  Piano/keyboard melody in the instrumental worked real well.  I probably wouldn't have enjoyed this in-and-of itself, but being such a huge Star One fan, I very much like what Swano delivers.  Conclusion was kind of abrupt and not exactly what I would have expected, but it worked - proving Swano sounds great even one his own and going all mellow.  Good use of 'cheating'.
Ranking - 2nd (for 10 points)

bl5150 - Herman Frank / Kings Call
Vocally great; musically… adequate.  Given the depth of your library, you really have no need to 'cheat'.  This is proof that cheating doesn't always pay off.  Just how I love Kelly Carpenter on Epysode, he can't carry the mediocrity of the music from  his other acts.  Altzi seems to suffer from the same fate occasionally.  I love him on Epysode, Thunderstone, Masterplan, At Vance and on FreeFall, but didn't dig Frequency... at all.  This is proof that a fantastic vocalist can't carry mediocre music.  This was a little better than mediocre, but the rhythm section was way too prominent - the bass drowned out a lot of the good stuff - there was some really good guitar work - when I could make it out.  I hate to dock the ranking due to production, but I gotta - it just makes it a bit of a chore to listen to.  Saying that, I can’t believe I’m ranking this below the next song….
Ranking - 8th (for 4 points)

Bolsters - Taylor Swift / Starlight
God, what a gorgeous voice - well, gorgeous everything.  I can dig this, and actually had been thinking about buying this album.  Catchy as fuck.  Make this kind of music a little heavier, chocolate-up the guitar tone, and you'd have a great melodic-rock ballad.  Mrs. Jingle heard me listening to this, and was all WTF?  I explained I was running a roulette, and she said "well I knew you weren't listening to this of your own accord"  :lol.  The good - vocals, writing, hooks, production; the not so good - lyrics (a little too fluffy), poppy structure.  Like the CHVRCHES song last round, I'll hardly ever proactively reach for this (or any of the other pop songs in my library - yes... I do have some), so I can't rate it too high, despite it being a pretty enjoyable tune.
Ranking - 7th (for 5 points)

Evermind - Holy Shire / Winter is Coming
I read your background on the tune, but didn’t read your ‘review’ until just now, as I didn’t want to be swayed before I’d even heard the track.  I can’t say that I know much (ok, anything) about the literary background, and invariably that would’ve helped with my appreciation of the song.  Everything about it was pretty good on first listen.  Something about the pitch/tone of the vocals was a little odd - I think it would've worked better if it wasn't so high - the chorus was ok, but when they got high during the verses, it was a little underwhelming.  It sounded like it wasn't the natural space for either vocalist - but in a lower register, I really liked them both.  I liked the slow pace, and the increase in both instrumentation and tempo.
Ranking - 5th (for 7 points)

jjrock88 - Nevermore / The Heart Collector
Straight up metal.  Meat/potatoes music... which is ok from time to time, but there wasn't anything more, or memorable, to this.  Vocally, it reminded me a lot of Dickinson, except without any of the soaring highs and dynamic range - which is what makes Bruce so incredible...  and this, not so incredible.  Guitar solo was good, but nothing unique.  On the whole, it wasn't bad, but nothing about it makes me take notice or creates a desire to come back to it.
Ranking - 11th (for 1 point)

Lowdz - Crash the System / Fight Fire With Fire
Coming in at the soft-end of the melodic rock spectrum (kind of in the realm of Work of Art) this is fun and catchy, but what I like to call 'powder-puff' melodic rock.  This too had a nice catchy chorus.  Given main writer behind this - Daniel Flores (Mind's Eye and Tears of Anger), I'm surprised/shocked over how 'soft' this is. Not a bad tune at all, but could've used a bit more edge to it.  Also, I seem to be missing the Sass Jordan reference you eluded to?
Ranking - 6th (for 6 points)

Mystery Machine - LA Guns / Ballad of Jayne
Ahhh… the golden age of power ballads.  Sadly, there was probably a reason this one didn’t get a lot of air-time in these here parts, for it was not golden.  Sounded very much like a poor man’s Every Rose Has Its Thorn.  There was a hollow/distant vocal effect which was so prominent in 80s power ballads.  That works with a vocalist like Bach or Michaels or Coverdale, but not here.  The solo was something any beginner guitarist could have wrote or played.  Nothing was terribly bad, but it just wasn’t terribly good either.  So much for your Star Trek scoring method.  The only reason it topped Jay's submission is because I tend to prefer a power ballad over a straight up metal tune.
Ranking - 10th (for 2 points)

senecadawg2 - The Paralydium Project / New Frontier
This was the one that first stood out to me - and then catching up on FB, the ProgPower USA pages were going all gaga over this.  Dynazty goes prog is a pretty good way of describing it.  Great instrumental opening; crunchy-djent guitars are used sparingly.  Beautiful vocals.  Great melodies and riffs; good introduction of key/piano melodies, lots of variety in pace, tempo, timing, instrumentation... total package here.  Clear cut winner this round.  Great prog without getting too wanky.
Ranking - 1st (for 11 points)

TAC - Chaos Frame / Giant Killer
I think the highlight of this one was the guitar runs, riffs, and rhythms.  Vocally, there’s quite a bit of range here, and overall I really liked the delivery - here’s another vocalist that reminds me of Anders Engberg of Speaking to Stones.  Add on some very interesting drum work. Pre-chorus was probably my favourite part - especially the rhythm section; good instrumental wankfest - concise, to the point - leads to a nice, quasi-shred duel/solo.
Ranking - 3rd (for 9 points)

wolfking - Evil Masquerade / Black Ravens Cry
Despite the very repetitive rhythm guitar line, it was a good enough not to bore me or have me wishing it away.  I really liked the vocal fade in/out effects, which to me were very reminiscent of Epysode, and most of you know how stiff that music makes me.  This had an excellent chorus - especially the step-down part 1/2 thru the chorus.  Percussion - was very Portnoy-like on some of the drum creativity.  Very familiar vocals - not sure why, or who it’s reminding me of.
Ranking - 4th (for 8 points)

Zook - into Eternity / Pain Through Breathing
I've never been a big fan of that thrashy, machine-gun like drum beat.  Clean vocals thru chorus were really good, guitar melody worked, harsh vocals were ok.  Do they even have a drummer, or is it all programmed?  The snare's sounded richer and fuller than the bass drum - they were way too clean/crisp.  Otherwise, this was a pretty good song, but that bass drum brought it down a whole lot for me - because it's just always there.  This could've ranked much higher, and I enjoyed it more (perhaps more accurately, I was able to listen past the bass drum) with each listen.
Ranking - 9th (for 3 points)

Standings:
wolfking - 32
bl5150 - 29
senecadawg2 - 29
Evermind - 28
TAC - 28
Lowdz - 27
Big Hath - 26
Bolsters - 18
jjrock88 - 17
Zook - 16
Mystery Machine - 15

For the bottom four, I suspect you’re playing for pride now… not sure that much ground can be made up in just 3 rounds.  For the others… it only takes a minor mis-step to lose some tangible ground.  Reminder ... Top 4 will make the finals.  I've figured out the scoring system to determine the overall winner, and will outline that shortly.

As a reminder, the following people still have their tag-team option:
Big Hath
Evermind
Lowdz
Mystery
TAC
Wolfking
Zook

And also, the following still need to send me a (power) ballad of some kind:
bl5150
Bosters
senecadawg
TAC
Wolfking

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The jingle Roulette Trilogy - Round 4 Results ... I made the deadline
« Reply #726 on: October 12, 2015, 09:04:11 PM »
You're a horrible person for ranking anything I send below Taylor Swift.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #727 on: October 12, 2015, 09:05:53 PM »

I know. :blush   :-*

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #728 on: October 12, 2015, 09:08:45 PM »
Or he's a great human being for not ranking Taylor Swift last. ;)

I was aware of my requirement to send a ballad, and so that is what you will be receiving next.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #729 on: October 12, 2015, 09:09:30 PM »
taylor swift is one of the few competent pop artists in the mainstream right now so not really

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #730 on: October 12, 2015, 09:11:24 PM »
taylor swift is one of the few competent pop artists in the mainstream right now so not really

Agreed.

Oh, and sorry to disappoint you by not giving Mystery a 1.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #731 on: October 12, 2015, 09:14:41 PM »

I know. :blush   :-*

Having said that I do agree with you about the production/rhythm guitars.............I am obviously a little more open to having a massive vocal performance offset those factors in terms of rating the song.

Ah well..............back to regular service then  :)

Sending Rd 5 in a minute.

And bummer.............I had seneca's entry lined up as a possible for Rd 7.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #732 on: October 12, 2015, 09:22:30 PM »
Sweeet! I thought you would like that song as soon as I heard it. Lucky that it was released that very same day  :lol

I guess the Sylvan song doesn't quite cut it as a ballad? I wasn't actually thinking it would be my ballad when I originally submitted it, but I thought I remembered you referring to it as a ballad in your writeup.

Either way, I'll be sending within 24 hours for sure. Probably tomorrow afternoon.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #733 on: October 12, 2015, 09:22:35 PM »
The Scattering of Ashes' production is pretty terrible, but I wanted to send you something that showcases Stu Block's amazing vocals. The album before it, Buried in Oblivion has better production, but Stu Block isn't on that album.

whenever I listen to TSOA and there's blast beats, all I hear is CHUB CHUB CHUB CHUB CHUB CHUB CHUB CHUB

I thought about sending Taylor Swift.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #734 on: October 12, 2015, 09:32:57 PM »
I'll take 4th.

Forgot about the whole ballad thing, hmm.....I'll come up with something.  nice to still have my tag team option too.

Wow @ the low ranking for Nevermore, great song that one.

That Witherscape album is great too.