Author Topic: The jingle Roulette Trilogy - Final Results - no more mind games  (Read 81258 times)

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Re: The jingle Roulette Trilogy - Qualification results. Let's get on with it now!
« Reply #420 on: September 15, 2015, 08:01:18 AM »
the song I sent wasn't a ballad according to my definition.  You sure you got the right one?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline senecadawg2

Re: The jingle Roulette Trilogy - Qualification results. Let's get on with it now!
« Reply #421 on: September 15, 2015, 08:07:54 AM »
More ‘guidelines’ tomorrow as we get ready for the real show.

I guess, since several have already sent, these guidelines aren't going to affect submissions?
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #422 on: September 15, 2015, 08:09:13 AM »
Regarding Ayreon... Evermind's "travel and stuff" is going to see The Theater Equation this weekend.  Pretty much all of the original cast recreating my 2nd fave album of all time for four theatrical shows - Marcela Bovio, Devon Graves, Heather Findlay, Irene Jansen, Magnus Ekwall, Anneke van Giersbergen, Jermain van der Bogt (Wudstik), James LaBrie, Eric Clayton, Mike Mills.  Only missing are Akerfeldt and Townsend (well, and Mike Baker... for obvious reasons).  It's in Rotterdam.

Fuckin Europeans!

Yeah, you forgot the part where Nem is going too, and as a fellow Lady Obscure author, there's a better than good chance that Ruslan will get to hang out with JLB, Arjen, Anneke etc.....

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #423 on: September 15, 2015, 08:40:28 AM »
the song I sent wasn't a ballad according to my definition.  You sure you got the right one?

Yeah, it's the same song... I thought one of you referred to it as a ballad.

More ‘guidelines’ tomorrow as we get ready for the real show.

I guess, since several have already sent, these guidelines aren't going to affect submissions?

Not likely, but I'll give people the option to pull back if they feel they want to after I post guidelines.

Yeah, you forgot the part where Nem is going too, and as a fellow Lady Obscure author, there's a better than good chance that Ruslan will get to hang out with JLB, Arjen, Anneke etc.....

Then an even bigger FU for him.  There better be pics!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #424 on: September 15, 2015, 08:49:06 AM »

Yeah, it's the same song... I thought one of you referred to it as a ballad.

ok, I'll resubmit.

But if that song is a ballad, I might as well send some Slayer and call it a ballad. (yes, I'm fully aware that would not rank very highly  :lol)
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #425 on: September 15, 2015, 09:00:45 AM »
Sent!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #426 on: September 15, 2015, 09:18:16 AM »
Got this from our Mystery guest an hour or so ago.

Quote from: Mystery Machine email
Please share this with the group:

I hope to rock this thing now.  Sorry about the false start, but I'm glad that Age of Nemesis tune hit the spot.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #427 on: September 15, 2015, 10:34:08 AM »
Round 3 sent

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #428 on: September 15, 2015, 10:36:31 AM »
Can jj apply for an exemption if he doesn't have a ballad in his collection?  :metal ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #429 on: September 15, 2015, 10:43:54 AM »
Can jj apply for an exemption if he doesn't have a ballad in his collection?  :metal ;D

There are a couple lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #430 on: September 15, 2015, 11:24:17 AM »

There are a couple lol

Jacob's Ladder is not a ballad.

Just sayin.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #431 on: September 15, 2015, 12:18:51 PM »
I'll post more when I get home from work, but is Round 3 a Ballad Round?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #432 on: September 15, 2015, 12:23:09 PM »
Sent. I sent a ballad anyway.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #433 on: September 15, 2015, 01:55:33 PM »
More guidelines.

Scoring.  I'm not going to score anything, but instead, I will stack rank the entries. That's likely to cause some butt-hurt, for the persons who finish last (or in the bottom half).  That doesn't mean the song that finishes with 11 is 11x better than the song getting a 1. I like this scoring method, as it removes the challenge of rating songs consistently across rounds (i.e., is a 9 in round 1 the same as a 9 in round 6?), gives a greater range of scores, and a greater chance to make up lost ground - or blow a lead.   :lol

Tag Team.  Stealing from Tim's brilliant idea (seriously, it was a great idea), you get one chance to submit two songs, and I'll pick the one I like the best.  Use it if you're undecided, or perhaps to take a risk, or if your name is Brent, to get one more song submitted from that endless list of possibilities.

Themes.  None.  Send whatever you want.  Two requests: 
- First, try to be a little diverse - don't send the same style over and over.  As RJ learned, I can tire of some styles quickly.  I'll also be a little more forgiving in my in my rankings to those that try to mix it up - within reason.  Don't mix it up by sending me 100% growls, or math-metal (what the fuck is that anyway?).  Still find stuff that will appeal to me.
- Second, everyone must send at least one ballad.  I love me my ballads - be it a power ballad like I Remember You by Skid Row, or a simple acoustic or piano only track like Hardline's In This Moment.  Do so whenever you want, whenever you want it. Just don’t send me songs until a round starts.  No squatting on your territory (band) early like we did in TAC’s.

Finals.  After the seven rounds, the top 3 or 4 (depending on how close scores are) will send me no more than 30 minutes of music each, from as few or as many bands as they want. Don't ask for any buffer. I don't actually want 30 minutes, so that is your absolute max.  One second over, and I'm not listening to one of the songs.

That said, if anyone that's submitted already wants to add or modify, go ahead.  Otherwise, everyone else can saddle up.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #434 on: September 15, 2015, 02:04:54 PM »
That all sounds good to me. One more thing, which you might've mentioned earlier- what is the maximum track length, if any, on submissions?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #435 on: September 15, 2015, 02:19:02 PM »
That all sounds good to me. One more thing, which you might've mentioned earlier- what is the maximum track length, if any, on submissions?

None... but I will reject Green Carnation.  That's already on my radar now for PPUSA 2016.  Plus, I don't need a 60 minute song slowing things down.  Unlike Tim, I will give the requisite number of listens - even to epic-length tracks.   :D :P

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #436 on: September 15, 2015, 02:26:13 PM »
Alright, now that I'm through, can anyone recommend me any dubstep to send?

Seriously, I have like three ballads up in my list, but I think I'll go with some prog rock first. I'll need to relisten to the songs once again. My flight is tomorrow morning, I'll try to send before I go.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The jingle Roulette Trilogy - listening and typing ....
« Reply #437 on: September 15, 2015, 02:58:45 PM »
Should've studied harder
TAC: Shadowquest - Last Farewell
 Vocally, it was kinda bland - not bad though, just bland.

Kinda bland??
That chorus is the tits!!

I'm submitting a ballad for sure. It's called the Ballad Of Earwax!

Tag Team.  Stealing from Tim's brilliant idea (seriously, it was a great idea), you get one chance to submit two songs, and I'll pick the one I like the best. 
Thanks!!  :)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #438 on: September 15, 2015, 03:26:09 PM »

None... but I will reject Green Carnation.  That's already on my radar now for PPUSA 2016.  Plus, I don't need a 60 minute song slowing things down.  Unlike Tim, I will give the requisite number of listens - even to epic-length tracks.   :D :P

Will send something tonight.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #439 on: September 15, 2015, 07:00:34 PM »
if the scoring method was retrospective to the qualifying rounds I would be excite but now.......

I can see the attraction in that method and it'll certainly produce some controversy .  I considered it for mine but decided I couldn't bring myself to give anyone 1 point with a very good song in a strong round.   But then I'm a peaceful man.  :angel:

Wild card and 30 min final is awesome - big incentive to perform and make that final  :metal
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #440 on: September 15, 2015, 07:07:08 PM »
I gotta start taking notes at all these scoring systems.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #441 on: September 15, 2015, 08:49:54 PM »
Well, since I failed miserably, I can now settle into the role of heckler..

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #442 on: September 15, 2015, 09:39:01 PM »
Well, since I failed miserably, I can now settle into the role of heckler..

Heckle away my good friend.

As for the issue of giving good songs 1 point... I'll get over it.   :biggrin:  The other alternative is to do like I did in my first roulette, where you actually WANT to get the low score because it truly is a ranking system.  IE, getting a 1 is a good thing because it was the #1 song.  I think most of us male's around here have a thing for big numbers though.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #443 on: September 15, 2015, 11:34:36 PM »
Sent!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #444 on: September 16, 2015, 05:13:14 AM »
Stragglers, let's go.  I'm gonna start listening tonight.  Still waiting for Bolsters, wolf, Mystery, and Zook.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #445 on: September 16, 2015, 05:17:09 AM »
Expect something in the next hour.  I've confirmed the band, just not the song, but it's close.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #446 on: September 16, 2015, 05:19:03 AM »
Stragglers, let's go.  I'm gonna start listening tonight.  Still waiting for Bolsters, wolf, Mystery, and Zook.
According to Spotify I resent 15 minutes after we were discussing my first submission.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #447 on: September 16, 2015, 05:24:08 AM »
According to Spotify I resent 15 minutes after we were discussing my first submission.

Brain cramp... my mind thought Big Hath, but fingers typed Bolsters.  But, as I scroll through my email, David hath sent.  So, just wolf, Mystery and Zook.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #448 on: September 16, 2015, 05:38:10 AM »
It has been fun playing. I'll still hang around and see what people submit and perhaps discover some new gems for myself.   ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #449 on: September 16, 2015, 05:47:08 AM »
It has been fun playing. I'll still hang around and see what people submit and perhaps discover some new gems for myself.   ;D

That's the spirit.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #450 on: September 16, 2015, 05:57:38 AM »
I like this, you are already at page 13 and the real roulette has just started.

I will be following because I love your bitchingandbanteringandwhingingandmakingfunofeachother-spamfest think many a good songs will be submitted and I might actually discover something to my liking.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #451 on: September 16, 2015, 06:13:37 AM »
Sent.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #452 on: September 16, 2015, 11:40:46 AM »
Sent.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #453 on: September 16, 2015, 12:01:59 PM »
I like this, you are already at page 13 and the real roulette has just started.

I will be following because I love your bitchingandbanteringandwhingingandmakingfunofeachother-spamfest think many a good songs will be submitted and I might actually discover something to my liking.

Yes, we like to ham spam it up.

Dayum... 4 songs this time around not on Spotify.  Gonna be bouncing back and forth from iTunes to Spotify the next few days.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #454 on: September 16, 2015, 09:53:08 PM »
Looks like it's time to check your Last.fm.