Author Topic: The jingle Roulette Trilogy - Final Results - no more mind games  (Read 81247 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The jingle Roulette Trilogy - you sure you're eager about results??
« Reply #385 on: September 14, 2015, 11:18:29 AM »
maybe later tonight, but within 24 hours.

I know it's not "later tonight" - even in Argentina.

But what about our Australian fellows? Its' more than likely Tuesday already for them  :huh:

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #386 on: September 14, 2015, 03:56:48 PM »
It's Wednesday now for me.  ;D
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #387 on: September 14, 2015, 04:06:00 PM »
It's Wednesday now for me.  ;D

SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH OR RESULTS WON'T BE UNTIL NEXT MONDAY
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #388 on: September 14, 2015, 04:10:04 PM »
Will that be Canada Monday or Australia Monday?
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #389 on: September 14, 2015, 04:11:02 PM »
it'll be Tool Monday

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #390 on: September 14, 2015, 04:13:22 PM »

:lol
 :tup

Chad, go listen to my song again and chill!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #391 on: September 14, 2015, 04:48:17 PM »

:lol
 :tup

Chad, go listen to my song again and chill!

Sorry, I just had a snickers... everything is cool now.  Will type results tonight.

My time.

Eastern.

North America.

results up in the next 4-5 hours... probably 10 minutes after Kade leaves for work again - if I can time it properly.   :P

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #392 on: September 14, 2015, 04:52:27 PM »
I will be gone in an hour or so today, so feel free to get them out early if you want.  :lol

From next week I'm not near a computer for anywhere near the time I'm on now, which is going to suck big time.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #394 on: September 14, 2015, 09:37:58 PM »
Last listen, as well as

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The jingle Roulette Trilogy - listening and typing ....
« Reply #395 on: September 14, 2015, 10:06:25 PM »
Qualification Round 2.  It goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway), all of these comments are simply my opinions.  They're probably wrong, but they are mine.

Head of the Class:
bl5150: The Poodles - Before I Die
Another 'cracker' here.  Killer rhythm section, especially the bass lines.  Chorus was absolutely killer, with a nice keyboard run accompanying it.  Brent's in the zone.

Mystery Machine: Age of Nemesis - Another Existence
So I was fully planning and expecting to fire Mystery’s ass if he (making the assumption now) didn’t give me the best song of the round.  And mutha fucka, he pretty much did - this track was neck and neck with Brent for best of the round.  This was virtually flawless… opening with a great riff, and some really tasty guitar/keyboard unisons.  It had me at 'hello', and never let go.

Honor Students:
Bolsters: Slash/Myles Kennedy - Beneath The Savage Sun
Why did I never check out any of this stuff?  Excellent rockin tune.  Myles has an amazing voice, and I gotta check more of this and Alter Bridge out.  There wasn’t anything not to like here.

Big Hath: Arion - Shadows
This had a lot of elements to love… nice lyrics, fantastic vocals with some wicked screams blended in with some beautiful harmonies, and a wonderful guitar/keyboard duel.  Got me some investigating to do with these guys.

Zook: Whyzdom - Asylum of Eden
Fantastic intro.  At first, the rough female vocals to open didn't do much for me, but they grew on me.  The rest of the song however was very strong.  Dumbass band name though.

senecadawg2: Helker - Begging for Forgiveness
Excellent tune, and vocally I can totally see the comparison to Dio.  The best part of the song was the outdo.  At first, I wasn’t sure if it was gonna be strong enough to save ya, but alas, the song continued to appeal.

Evermind: Rainbow - Black Masquerade
Very Very good… loved the main melody, and Doogie is a solid vocalist.  This was a pretty safe pick.  Not stellar, but very enjoyable.

jjrock88: Judas Priest - Blood Red Skies
This was not at all what I would've expected from a JP song (with what sounded like programmed drums, and keyboard elements).  But it left a good first impression, and second, and third.  See more below on my thoughts for Priest overall.

wolfking: Judas Priest - One Shot At Glory
Similar to JJ’s above, I liked it plenty, but wasn't wow’d off the bat.  Upon multiple listens, I really started to like it a lot.  I’m still not sure Priest is an act that I’ll go back and completely rediscover, but maybe some kind of ‘best of’ package or recommendations from the group.  It’s one of those bands that passed me by, and I don’t know that I feel a compelling need to completely rectify that.

Should've studied harder
TAC: Shadowquest - Last Farewell
On first listen, I was worried, as nothing really stood out.  Of all the songs, this was the least memorable initially (though, some reasons I remembered other songs are not for good reasons!).  In the end, I found this to be good melodic metal, but certainly wasn’t anything that wow’d me.  Vocally, it was kinda bland - not bad though, just bland.

Lowdz: Paul Laine - Dorianna
This was some pretty straight forward hair metal, a little too safe.  Nothing all that memorable here.  Nothing wrong with it, but nothing great either.  If it was a burger, it was meat and a very thin patty - not very filling at all.

Expelled:
Prog Snob: Lord of Mushrooms - Grace (Dedicated to)
Some really good elements, some meh.  Felt stitched together like a quilt with lots of different squares.  Might have gotten better with a few more listens, but there was as much that I didn’t appreciate as that which I did.

lonestar: Wings Denied - The End of History
Same RJ formula again, but this one felt very one-dimensional vocally.  Excellent solo, but the djent-like guitar riffs I can only take for so long.  There was lots I liked about this, but there was lots that I felt like I’d had enough of.

Nekov: Aghora - Garuda
For a 3 minute song, the first 90 seconds felt like a slow buildup.  The last 1:20 was frantic technical prog goodness - and then it ended faster than JLB singing Pull Me Under.  I was left with a set of sonic blue balls, and highly disappointed.  Just when things got going, it ended.

Dr. DTVT: Phideaux - Gift of the Flame
Started nice, then got eclectic as all hell.  Lots of different shit going on here - some good, some odd.  For every Evergrey, Spock’s Beard and Flaming Row where our tastes are perfectly aligned, there’s more than a handful of bands like Soul Secret/Consortium Project and Phideaux/Ghost where we’re at least 6 degrees of separation.  If this was playing it safe, I’m not sure if taking a risk would’ve done you better or worse.

Elite: Native Construct - Passage
Lovin the creativity, and diversity; then came the thrash…. Thankfully it was short, but it was still there.  Woulda been way better without it.  This song was all over the place, and really felt like it didn't have any cohesion.  There was lots to love, but also that wtf secton about 2/3 thru.  It was like eating a great steak, then getting a huge chunk of grizzle that was unexpected... and puts a pawl on the whole experience.  I just didn't feel a lot of the diversity was needed.  Sadly, you went from first to worst.

So, what are the results?

In: :tup
Big Hath
bl5150
Bolsters
Evermind
jjrock88
Lowdz
Mystery Machine
TAC
senecadawg2
wolfking
Zook

I decided to let 11 proceed, as I just didn’t have it in me to take Mystery over one of the ’named’ players.  But, Mystery knocked it out of the park, so they’re in.

Out: :-\
Dr. DTVT
Elite
lonestar
Nekov
Prog Snob

Sorry boys.

More ‘guidelines’ tomorrow as we get ready for the real show.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The jingle Roulette Trilogy - Qualification results. Let's get on with it now!
« Reply #396 on: September 14, 2015, 10:13:19 PM »

Just hope I haven't blown the highest ranking songs on the qualifiers .

Arion is an interesting one Chad - and look 'em up ..........they're teenagers that totally don't look like they play the way they do.

As soon as I saw Paul Laine I knew it was a lowdz submission.  Cult classic melodic rock album and a good one , if a bit dated.  The guy can wail - I think I would've chosen a track like We Are The Young or Heart Of America though.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 11:07:04 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: The jingle Roulette Trilogy - Qualification results. Let's get on with it now!
« Reply #397 on: September 14, 2015, 10:19:09 PM »

That In list looks like a tough crowd though. :lol

Edit: I probably jumped the gun sending before I got those guidelines, huh? :rollin

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #398 on: September 14, 2015, 10:29:06 PM »
Chad if you want a Priest best of, the two best options are

1) Metal Works- 2 disc best of from 75-90

2) Metalogy- 4 disc anthology plus DVD from 82 SFV show

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #399 on: September 14, 2015, 10:36:35 PM »
Edit: I probably jumped the gun sending before I got those guidelines, huh? :rollin

Nothing really too heavy... the ballad/power ballad is the only requirement.  Everything else is more FYI stuff.

Chad if you want a Priest best of, the two best options are

1) Metal Works- 2 disc best of from 75-90

2) Metalogy- 4 disc anthology plus DVD from 82 SFV show

Duly noted.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #400 on: September 14, 2015, 10:41:08 PM »
Whyzdom is a dumb ass band name, but The Poodles isn't?

Damn Canadians.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #401 on: September 14, 2015, 11:20:34 PM »
 :'(

Eh probably just as well, I struggled to find those two artists. I have lots of stuff you don't, I just know you won't like any of it.   :lol

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #402 on: September 14, 2015, 11:28:58 PM »
Safe or not, the song got me into the main competition, so who cares.

I might be a bit slow on sending for the next few rounds, travelling and stuff.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #403 on: September 14, 2015, 11:58:29 PM »
I have a ballad in mind...

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #404 on: September 15, 2015, 02:28:59 AM »
What a shame, though I did say in the PM that it was a grower. Turned out I was right, boo.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #405 on: September 15, 2015, 03:06:05 AM »
Beneath the Savage Sun fuck yea, my second favorite World on Fire song, after The Unholy of course.  :)
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #406 on: September 15, 2015, 03:38:03 AM »

Just hope I haven't blown the highest ranking songs on the qualifiers .

Arion is an interesting one Chad - and look 'em up ..........they're teenagers that totally don't look like they play the way they do.

As soon as I saw Paul Laine I knew it was a lowdz submission.  Cult classic melodic rock album and a good one , if a bit dated.  The guy can wail - I think I would've chosen a track like We Are The Young or Heart Of America though.

When I saw Danger Danger at The Gods a few years ago they did Dorianna - I'd never heard it before but after hearing it the once I was singing it for days afterwards. Its a cracking album and those songs would have done the job - I just really love that song and the Cannuck is wrong  :biggrin:
In his last roulette Shame by Pink Cream 69 got the same sort of reaction... oh well, back to the prog metal then!  :metal

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #407 on: September 15, 2015, 03:44:06 AM »
Beneath the Savage Sun fuck yea, my second favorite World on Fire song, after The Unholy of course.  :)
Coincidentally the other song I considered sending. :metal

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #408 on: September 15, 2015, 04:19:51 AM »
 :sadpanda:

Well, this was probably for the best
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #409 on: September 15, 2015, 04:53:09 AM »
 :blush

Looking forward to beginning!
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #410 on: September 15, 2015, 05:22:22 AM »
@ Zook... I guess I should've mentioned it, my first thought with Brent's song was "What the fuck kind of name is this?"   :lol

@ RJ... Perhaps that's because you keep sending me the best stuff outside of roulette's - keep it coming by the way.

@ Elite... I tried dude, I did.  Just didn't click.  :dunno:

@ nekov ... if it had been more of what the 2nd half was like (and more of it), you may have made it.

@ Lowdz... My music doesn't need to be entirely  :metal all the time, but that tune was a little more bland than I would like.  Maybe it's better live vs studio?  Some songs are like that - Forsaken comes to mind.  I can see how it could be a total earworm.

@ Evermind... I'll say this publicly now, from all the Ayreon fans here,

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #411 on: September 15, 2015, 05:23:00 AM »
Would have bet my life savings Brent sent that Poodles song, good choice.  For Priest, the two Jason said are the highlights, but based purley on cost, Metal Works would be my pick.  Metalogy is probably to expensive, but covers more territory.

Glad to be in, now back to work once again.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #412 on: September 15, 2015, 05:42:17 AM »
@ Elite... I tried dude, I did.  Just didn't click.  :dunno:

Same with me  :-\
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #413 on: September 15, 2015, 05:59:43 AM »
@ Zook... I guess I should've mentioned it, my first thought with Brent's song was "What the fuck kind of name is this?"   :lol

@ Evermind... I'll say this publicly now, from all the Ayreon fans here,

When The Poodles started at least their whole image was on the "pisstake"side of 80's metal -not quite at Steel Panther levels but that sort of thing. So I take the name in that context.  These days they're like a Swedish Bon Jovi , just with some 'nads.

What did I miss re Ayreon??

And I'll be all over a lowdz roulette if/when it happens.  Might have a couple of albums up your alley sir.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #414 on: September 15, 2015, 06:04:40 AM »
I missed the Ayreon reference too.

Regarding the Poodles, their image was pretty funny when they first started out.  The latest album is a great piece of melodic rock with a decent splash of glam IMO.  The two before that were really good too.  Great band.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #415 on: September 15, 2015, 06:38:25 AM »
Regarding Ayreon... Evermind's "travel and stuff" is going to see The Theater Equation this weekend.  Pretty much all of the original cast recreating my 2nd fave album of all time for four theatrical shows - Marcela Bovio, Devon Graves, Heather Findlay, Irene Jansen, Magnus Ekwall, Anneke van Giersbergen, Jermain van der Bogt (Wudstik), James LaBrie, Eric Clayton, Mike Mills.  Only missing are Akerfeldt and Townsend (well, and Mike Baker... for obvious reasons).  It's in Rotterdam.

Fuckin Europeans!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #416 on: September 15, 2015, 06:48:00 AM »
Regarding Ayreon... Evermind's "travel and stuff" is going to see The Theater Equation this weekend.  Pretty much all of the original cast recreating my 2nd fave album of all time for four theatrical shows - Marcela Bovio, Devon Graves, Heather Findlay, Irene Jansen, Magnus Ekwall, Anneke van Giersbergen, Jermain van der Bogt (Wudstik), James LaBrie, Eric Clayton, Mike Mills.  Only missing are Akerfeldt and Townsend (well, and Mike Baker... for obvious reasons).  It's in Rotterdam.

Fuckin Europeans!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #417 on: September 15, 2015, 07:16:34 AM »
Sented Rd 3 ............need to stop listening to my jingle.list and get back to mine  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #418 on: September 15, 2015, 07:41:57 AM »
Never expected this to happen... two people submitted THE EXACT SAME SONG within 45 minutes of each other.  First come first served.  Guess this is a pretty good ballad.

Big Hath... you gotta resubmit.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #419 on: September 15, 2015, 07:46:38 AM »
inb4 you don't think much of it and Hath dodges a bullet.