Author Topic: ToN's Top 50 Albums! #1: Just Push Play  (Read 27727 times)

Offline CharlesPL

Re: ToN's Top 50 Albums! #3, Picture & Writeup included
« Reply #315 on: December 30, 2015, 06:14:54 PM »
Ma fav album of all time, so :

Images and Words is two spots too low

Nightmare is one of these 2 albums i think.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #316 on: December 30, 2015, 06:44:12 PM »

I have seen Metallica live five times, and at neither of them did they play FEOS. The last time I saw them was when they did the show with the orchestra and it was probably the worst show I've ever been to, excluding Pearl Jam during which I fell asleep.
A shame, S&M seemed killer on DVD but probably wasn't for everyone. I'm on the same page regarding Pearl Jam probably, I like a few of their more energetic songs like Animal, but most of it really bores me.

It just didn't sound like what I thought it should. I think some bands can pull off the orchestra thing like it was actually part of the band like Dream Theater, Anathema, and Yes. It just didn't seem to fit, but that's just my opinion.

I was extremely disappointed that Pearl Jam was so...dull. I forget which tour it was but I had gone because they made Ten, which is a brilliant album from start to finish. After that, the music started to disappoint me for the most part, but I went to see them anyway.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #317 on: December 31, 2015, 03:02:53 AM »
I was never huge on early DT, and can barely listen to much of any of it now, but Images and Words is good, by far the best thing from their early days. I think my favourite songs would be

1 Surrounded
2 Pull Me Under
3 Learning to Live

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #318 on: December 31, 2015, 07:20:23 AM »
Of course I like I&W, but I seem to prefer other albums to it.
This. It isn't even on my top 3 DT albums :P

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: ToN's Top 50 Albums! #2: MUSIC MY SAVIOR!
« Reply #319 on: December 31, 2015, 08:23:39 AM »
I was very stoked for this update, curious how many  :tdwn:censored and  :tup I'll get.

#2: Machine Head – Unto the Locust (2011)

Genre: Heavy/Thrash Metal

Yep, that’s right, my #2 album is the album that followed The Blackening, which is considered to be their best, and easily their most popular one. Why does Unto the Locust get overshadowed by The Blackening? I honestly don't know, I do think that if there’s one album to come close it is Blackening, but come on, Locust is just fantastic, every second of it. You may or may not be a fan of MH, and I know plenty of people who are turned off by Flynn’s voice, but as a Machine Head fan I can easily state that I like this better than The Blackening. This album is packed with a heavy/soft contrast which I absolutely love. I Am Hell (Sonata In C#) for instance, starts off very atmospheric, as an opener on an album like this should, and after the heavy part makes a great transition back into an acoustic riff which ends off the song on a very powerful note, this is only the opening track, and far from the best.  There’s only 7 songs on this album (if you don’t count the special edition, which has Rush and Judas Priest covers (Which Hunt and The Sentinel respectively), along with an acoustic version of Darkness Within) and they range from power-ballads like Darkness Within to very heavy songs with a slight progressive  edge to them like Pearls Before the Swine. The single (Locust) though, is what got me to get this album, it was the first song I heard from them since I saw them in Amsterdam and I was just blown away. The drums, bass and rhythm guitar of Machine Head songs are basically a sonic assault to your ears, the beats are very tight. Which leaves us with the lead guitar, which is basically the main reason I get drawn into this band as much as I do, so many enjoyable guitar licks and riffs. I find it hard to rank very new albums/discoveries higher than some of my all-time most played albums like these, and I can’t see this MH album being knocked out of the top 5 very soon, but I’m not entirely sure yet whether this is going to remain as classic as it is to me now. I mean it’s been over 4 years, but I feel like I’ve known this album for a lifetime.

Favorite song:
Darkness Within: Well Shadow Ninja didn’t like this song :(, this one may be pretty one-sided for Machine Head standards, but the melodies are beautiful, chorus is catchy as fuck. Heavy breakdown near the end is absolutely killer, making the final chorus even better. Robb said in an interview that he wrote this song in like half an hour, fucking magnificent.

Honorable mentions:
Pearls Before the Swine: Like I said, this might just be the heaviest song on the album, it’s one of the faster songs on this album, something I’d consider thrash-y, with also some progressive elements. Oh and this has a lot of those cool guitar licks I was referring to.

This is the End: Some more amazing acoustic shit, this time, the intro. Not to worry though, very quickly this turns into a crazily fast-paced metal song. Love the backing vocals in the chorus.

Locust: Just freaking classic.. when that drum fill transitions into the main riff, heads are a’bangin’. Whatever you do don’t watch the music video, because just like with Halo, they cut out way too much cool parts of the song.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
Re: ToN's Top 50 Albums! #2: MUSIC MY SAVIOR!!
« Reply #320 on: December 31, 2015, 08:31:59 AM »
I've never even listened to them so I can't give an opinion on this choice, except that Images and Words is better.   :lol   I'll check it out though, because I've always been a fan of thrash, but I'm sure it's no Overkill or Testament. We'll see. I'm checking YouTube now.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #321 on: December 31, 2015, 08:36:09 AM »
Yeah it's nothing like Overkill, I feel this is not as fast and has more feel to the guitar and vocals, just my interpretation though.

Never listened to Testament tho
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #322 on: December 31, 2015, 08:42:31 AM »
Yeah it's nothing like Overkill, I feel this is not as fast and has more feel to the guitar and vocals, just my interpretation though.

Never listened to Testament tho

I'm checking the album out now and I wouldn't really consider it thrash but maybe it's what newer thrash sounds like. It has some decent melodies and reminds me of Fear Factory in some instances, but the vocals are a bit much for me.

You should check out Testament one day. Start with Practice What You Preach and Souls Of Black, then go to the first two, The Legacy and The New Order. Then if you're still curious work forward after Souls of Black. The first four are the best in my opinion though.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #323 on: December 31, 2015, 08:50:36 AM »
Maybe thrash is a bit too forward of a label, at most theres some thrash elements, but not entire sothem.DaIkness Within is probably the easiest song to digest if you're not into his usual vocals.

I'll see how Testament suits me sometime, heard good things about them.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #324 on: December 31, 2015, 08:53:03 AM »
I only gave it a few listens, but I was pretty unconvinced with Unto The Locust, and that’s coming from someone who had Burn My Eyes in my top 25 or so albums. It wasn’t bad, but it just didn’t seem overly great, even more so after some of the things they achieved on The Blackening and Through the Ashes of Empires.

I think based on this, I’ll give it another listen though.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #325 on: December 31, 2015, 09:19:23 AM »
Well yea I think this is probably similar to someone ranking ADTOE #2 in their list, something that's not really too new by the band's standards and arguably less popular than the similar albums. So I won't be too shocked if you're still not too much into it, very much a personal favorite that I got into by no one else than myself.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #326 on: December 31, 2015, 09:22:48 AM »
I really liked The Blackening, like a lot, and that's an album I wouldn't even consider for a place in my top 50. I got bored of thrash metal quickly, so I've never heard this one.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #327 on: December 31, 2015, 03:39:32 PM »
That's a great Machine Head album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #328 on: December 31, 2015, 06:55:18 PM »
 :corn
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #329 on: December 31, 2015, 09:29:14 PM »
That's a great Machine Head album.
My only wish for this brand new year was to get some love for Unto the Locust, thank. you.

I can already confirm that I won't be able to redeem myself with my #1, at least for the majority I won't

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: ToN's Top 50 Albums! #1: Just Push Play
« Reply #330 on: January 01, 2016, 07:02:47 AM »
Alright, let's get this over with. I didn't expect to actually complete this within a month, but I'm glad I did. No hassles or anything, daily updates, so I'm pretty happy about that.

Number one.............................

Nightmare is one of these 2 albums i think.
Charles knows his shit, this might've been predictable, but whatever:

#1: Avenged Sevenfold – Nightmare (2010)

Genre: Heavy(/Alternative) Metal

No words can actually describe how much I’ve been in love continuously with this album, ever since the release (which was about mid 2010), but I’ll try anyway. I’m fairly sure this will be my favorite album forever, but of course that’s pretty hard to say at this point in my life. I feel these guys were going through the exact same thing in their lives as me, they lost a dear friend. Someone they were used to seeing and being around every single day of their lives. These songs are all so relatable, even though I’m not religious and A7X tend to have a lot of preachy lyrics. The outlines were all already written before The Rev died, but you can see the passion that went into these songs and how his death made the feeling behind the songs so much stronger. I gotta admit that the song that was written by The Rev 3 days before he was found dead, Fiction, is one of my least favorites of the album. Sometimes the simple songs with kind of a depressing vibe to them do a lot for me, like Disconnected Pt. 2, but this was not it. Synyster Gates’ solos will never stop to amaze me, they’re always one of the highlights of A7X songs, even on Hail to the King where most of the songwriting was kinda sloppy. The guitar solos are always a mix between great melodies and fast picking when it suits the song well. Need I remind you that Mike Portnoy replaced The Rev for the recording of this album and the upcoming tour? Probably not, but if I did, I don’t think it’d be necessary because The Rev had MP as one of his idols, and the drums for this album had a lot of that MP style return. Of course when Mike actually did play drums on the album he threw in even more of those MP influences in there. We see an amazing drumming performance throughout the album, really fitting to the mood of each song. The very best drum section is at the very end of the album, that’s right, the outro of Save Me, which very much reminds me of the Finally Free ending drums. Anyway, no matter what year it is, how my music tastes might change some day, I will never forget Nightmare, this thing was a life changer.

Favorite song (but goddamn, listen to the whole album):
Save Me: The intro is simply beautiful, mainly the guitar, mastering the wah-wah’s. There’s also the small details that create such an ominous vibe, like the *THEY ALL KNOW* whispering (I swear to god I thought they said “Save me now” for more than a lifetime). The pre-chorus is so powah, the chorus being even better. The  very best part though, has to be the climax that section with the soft vocals was building up to, returning to the chorus one last time, followed by the “Tonight we all die young” part. It’s still the best ending to any album for me, albeit for personal reasons.

Honorable mentions:
Buried Alive: Amazing acoustic guitar intro, it’s pretty simple but I love it. It’s the 2nd best acoustic A7X guitar bit (Sidewinder outro is by far #1). The contrast between soft and heavy is ridiculously good here, it’s  kinda like a power ballad, but the heavier parts I feel aren’t particularly ballad-y.

Natural Born Killer: This song is so damn consistent, it’s Avenged Sevenfold’s heavy side at its best and I wish they’d return to this type of thing when making pure metal tracks. The main riff entering after that cymbal love-tap is my favorite A7X riff, it’s amazingly groovy.

So Far Away: Yea, The Rev wrote Fiction, but I feel like this is the song that is the actual tribute to him, this was written by Synyster Gates about his grandfather, but after The Rev passed away they decided to dedicate it to him. I think it’s actually the first and only song he wrote entirely by himself. The first part of the song is great, but the second part is miles better.

Thank you all for following, 't was a fun ride, hope this kinda clarifies my music tastes which where seemingly unknown before.
Maybe I'll post an aftermath thingy in a bit.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #331 on: January 01, 2016, 09:40:07 AM »
i'm sorry for giving what has to be one of your favorite songs of all time a 7.5 in my roulette

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #332 on: January 01, 2016, 09:42:46 AM »
For what it's worth I think you gave it a bonus ,5 point later on, or was the 7,5 with the +,5 included? It's whatever, to each their own

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #333 on: January 01, 2016, 09:44:09 AM »
I've never actually listen to them, so I don't know what to say. If MP played on it, I'm sure it was good. Well, except for A Mob.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #334 on: January 01, 2016, 09:54:04 AM »
I love Nightmare. Not sure it's a no. 1 album, but it's definitely the strongest A7X album, so   :tup.
I enjoyed following and not knowing bands on your list :neverusethis:, thanks for putting it together Train of Naught.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #335 on: January 01, 2016, 10:52:10 AM »
good job on the list

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #336 on: January 01, 2016, 11:09:07 AM »
Thanks guys!

Here's the full list once more:

#50: Rage Against The Machine – Rage Against The Machine
#49: Mastodon – Crack The Skye
#48: Haken – Aquarius
#47: Muse – Origin of Symmetry
#46: Pomegranate Tiger – Entities
#45: Metallica – Death Magnetic
#44: Circus Maximus – Isolate
#43: Dream Theater – Train Of Thought
#42: Avenged Sevenfold – Waking The Fallen:
#41: Alter Bridge – One Day Remains
#40: A.C.T – Circus Pandemonium
#39: Linkin Park – Meteora
#38: Periphery – Periphery II
#37: Sum 41 – Chuck
#36: Iron Maiden – A Matter Of Life And Death
#35: Tremonti – All I Was
#34: The Mars Volta – De-loused In The Comatorium
#33: Megadeth – Rust in Peace
#32: Queensrÿche – Operation: Mindcrime
#31: Metallica – Master Of Puppets
#30: Distorted Harmony – Chain Reaction
#29: Dream Theater – A Dramatic Turn Of Events
#28: Arctic Monkeys – Whatever You Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not
#27: Sum 41 – Screaming Bloody Murder
#26: Iron Maiden – Powerslave
#25: Deftones - Diamond Eyes
#24: Machine Head – The Blackening
#23: Avenged Sevenfold – Avenged Sevenfold
#22: Haken – The Mountain
#21: Megadeth – Countdown to Extinction
#20: Protest The Hero – Volition
#19: Alter Bridge – Blackbird
#18: The Dear Hunter – Act II: The Meaning Of, And All Things Regarding Ms. Leading
#17: Royal Blood – Royal Blood
#16: Avenged Sevenfold – City Of Evil
#15: Slipknot – Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses
#14: Linkin Park – Hybrid Theory
#13: Dream Theater – Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
#12: Protest The Hero – Fortress
#11: System of a Down – Toxicity
#10: Fates Warning – Disconnected
#9: Dream Theater - Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory
#8: The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute
#7: Metallica - Ride the Lightning
#6: Alter Bridge - Fortress
#5: Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast
#4: Metallica - ...And Justice For All
#3: Dream Theater - Images and Words
#2: Machine Head - Unto the Locust
#1: Avenged Sevenfold - Nightmare

Once again, thanks for following and making this easy to update daily without feeling like no one cared ;D. I liked doing this, but in the end I wish I had put a limit to the albums per artist, it did get a bit samey towards the top 20, multiple PtH, DT, A7X, Metallica and  Alter Bridge albums. Truthfully every single one of them deserved to be in the top 20 but it would’ve been more fun if I put a cap to it, just to show a broader range of the music I listen to and enjoy.
Potential v2 (definitely not before 2017, if not later): I’ll probably mix it up so that there’s a fair amount of different genre’s and different decades, as well as a cap of 2 albums per artist or something, that’d make it less repetitive.
All in all, I’m happy with my list but there’s a lot of repeating artists, probably would’ve done it a little less repetitive if I would’ve done it again.