Author Topic: Women who like Dream Theater  (Read 26407 times)

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
Re: Women who like Dream Theater
« Reply #210 on: January 20, 2016, 06:44:20 AM »
1. Do you know any women who like Dream Theater?
One woman.
2. Did you yourself introduce them to Dream Theater?
Yes.
3. Have you ever failed to get a lady to share in your love with Dream Theater?
Many times.
4. Why didn't she like them?
I don't know, really
5. Have you ever "gotten freaky" to DT, if so what song?
Every songg  :rollin
6. What, in your opinion, is the best Dream Theater song for introducing a women to the world of DT?
Depends on what the girl likes - My gf got hooked by Panic Attack.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline erciccio

« Reply #211 on: January 20, 2016, 06:56:53 AM »
Two, my wife and ... :angel:.
Yes in one case, no in the other
I've tried with all my girlfriends and my friends' girlfriend. Rough estimate 2 success vs 20 failures
Too heavy/ songs too long/ too complicated to understands
I woould say no, so far...
6. What, in your opinion, is the best Dream Theater song for introducing a women to the world of DT?
Through her eyes
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #212 on: January 20, 2016, 07:06:16 AM »
Yes, my ex-girlfriend. I even went to a JP signing session and a DT concert, she was super hyped. But she was a bitch, so what does it help.

Yes.

I am trying right now with someone I got to know a few weeks back, until now, no success. I have however tried it with other women, they mostly just said, hmm interesting, not really my type of music, but definitely amazing in terms of musically and so on. Or something similar.

The aforementioned lady is more into Coldplay and radio stuff. I mentioned Coldplay separately because I also like Coldplay. As for the other ladies, they were mostly singers or musicians (I study music) so they could at least appreciate the musical and technical level and great compositions of DT.

If I understand this question correctly, no. But I have, however, to Transatlantic's Kaleidoscope. Because my Ex loved it. Yes she had a great taste of music, but she's still a bitch lol

Can't really say. As I said before, a lot of my friends, including female, are musicians, so maybe Octavarium or Illumination Theory because it reminds them of Tschaikowsky. Otherwise maybe some Pop stuff, like Hollow Years, I Walk Beside You. I think DT has something for everyone, except hardcore Jazz fans, but I have not met many hot hardcore Jazz fan ladies.
Usually I start with something easier to show them my taste in music, like Steely Dan (easily one of the greatest bands ever) and then Genesis (same here), because they recognize melodies there.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #213 on: January 20, 2016, 07:24:32 AM »
I did some facebook marketing for the listening party in Oslo. Had 18000 hits on it.

95% of the hits were male.

Offline Vandalism

• DTF.org Alumni
  • A Voluntary Lapse of Reason
« Reply #214 on: January 20, 2016, 08:20:01 AM »
900 DT liking females!  :yarr
\\m// Death is the first Dancing Turtle \\m//

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #215 on: January 20, 2016, 10:54:29 AM »
Every woman I am friends with likes DT, mainly because I don't associate with anti-DT people. If they arent intelligent enough to understand the complexity and beauty in DT's music, then they are not someone I want to hang around

As pointed out by me and others in other threads, you need to change your posting style and stop hurling insults at others if you want to continue to have posting privileges on this forum.  All opinions are welcome, provided they are expressed properly.  Insulting others by calling their intelligence, fandom, etc. into question is not tolerated.  Stop doing that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline V_R11

« Reply #216 on: January 20, 2016, 11:10:12 AM »
Myself and a few friends over the years
No
Unfortunately
"Too heavy, too complex"
No
I'd try This is the Life or some other not-so-heavy song
Seasons change and so can I

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #217 on: January 20, 2016, 11:48:31 AM »
I do not get the notion that somehow what music you like is an indication of things like "intelligence" or "taste" or "quality".  It's what you like, period.   UNLESS of course, you're a poseur who is trying to send a message with what you listen to.  I know for me, it's simply organic.  I listen to something, be it DT or Genesis or Sabbath or Justin Beiber or One Direction and I either like it or I don't.  There's no thought process ("Oooh, this is COMPLEX!" or "Ugh, this song is about LOVE. Ick!") it just happens.   Justin Beiber's "U Smile" is one of the best pop songs ever written.  LOVE that song.   LOVE IT.  The opening song to One Direction's new album Made In The AM (the song is called "Hey Angel!") is simply the best Oasis song produced since "Who Feels Love" from "Standing On The Shoulders..."

I think I've said before in this thread (too lazy to go back) but I couldn't give a shit if my girl likes Dream Theater, as long as she is considerate, caring, smart, sexy, fun, conscientious, and (for me, since I'm older now) a great mom.   What I would need, though, is for her to respect that I like Dream Theater, if that makes sense.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 06:18:53 AM by Stadler »

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #218 on: January 20, 2016, 11:56:39 AM »
^^^^ well said.
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #219 on: January 20, 2016, 12:52:48 PM »
Every woman I am friends with likes DT, mainly because I don't associate with anti-DT people. If they arent intelligent enough to understand the complexity and beauty in DT's music, then they are not someone I want to hang around
Just because someone doesn't like a band does not make them less intelligent. Unless they're super against it and start complaining about or insulting the music you listen to constantly I'm not really sure why hanging out with people with different musical tastes is a problem?

Offline r0cken

« Reply #220 on: January 21, 2016, 11:08:55 PM »
DT just isn't good as background music, it needs your attention.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 10:52:27 PM by r0cken »

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #221 on: January 23, 2016, 02:40:07 PM »
-oops-
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline matthewmatt

• the resident reactionary recalcitrant
  • Our pizza travelled far
« Reply #222 on: January 26, 2016, 05:52:05 AM »
DT just isn't good as background music, it needs your attention.

Not only that, but can you actually imagine "getting freaky" to DT? You get a good "thing" going, but then comes the whahibrido pickingant, or a tickle section or "DAY AFTER DAY AND NIGHT AFTER NIGHT" or a Shaman or "Let me introduce.. my brother!" and suddenly what you're doing seems quite comical and you probably can't continue. I know I couldn't.  ::)

With all due respect to all music, I think the "freaky" music should be something more "bland", definitely  ;D
"They want to qualify their boys for jobs in the modern world. You can hardly blame them, can you?"
"Oh yes," said Scott-King. "I can and do." [...]
"If you approve, headmaster, I will stay as I am here as long as any boy wants to read the classics. I think it would be very wicked indeed to do anything to fit a boy for the modern world."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #223 on: January 26, 2016, 06:00:51 AM »
I do not get the notion that somehow what music you like is an indication of things like "intelligence" or "taste" or "quality".

Actually, there have been extensive studies showing there is a link between the type of music one listens to and intelligence. Naturally correlation doesn't always equal causation, but I've read some of them and it's hard to ignore the evidence.

Offline r0cken

« Reply #224 on: January 26, 2016, 06:10:55 AM »

With all due respect to all music, I think the "freaky" music should be something more "bland", definitely  ;D
Even if the music bland and good as background, it still feels like you're acting in a cheap pr0n... Better off without.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #225 on: January 26, 2016, 09:03:00 AM »
I do not get the notion that somehow what music you like is an indication of things like "intelligence" or "taste" or "quality".

Actually, there have been extensive studies showing there is a link between the type of music one listens to and intelligence. Naturally correlation doesn't always equal causation, but I've read some of them and it's hard to ignore the evidence.

Only certain types of music, and the correlation is higher with personality types than it is with "intelligence".  I've read many of them as well, and while there is "something" there, it's just not sufficient to say "I listen to prog, you don't, therefore I am smarter than you.", which is what a lot of this snobbery is really saying.

And while it's been said before, I can't help pointing out that I am thrilled with the irony of having a conversation about prog snobbery with a person named "Prog Snob".   :) 

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #226 on: January 26, 2016, 12:39:24 PM »

Only certain types of music, and the correlation is higher with personality types than it is with "intelligence".  I've read many of them as well, and while there is "something" there, it's just not sufficient to say "I listen to prog, you don't, therefore I am smarter than you.", which is what a lot of this snobbery is really saying.

And while it's been said before, I can't help pointing out that I am thrilled with the irony of having a conversation about prog snobbery with a person named "Prog Snob".   :)

I'm definitely saying it's non sequitur, though I do believe that someone devoid of intelligent thought listening to and being able to fully appreciate classical music for all its beauty is probably the exception and not the rule. Some of the studies show that the creativity of musicians also enhances intelligent thought. They studied brain activities in musicians and non-musicians. It really is fascinating. Like I've mentioned before, I'm really intrigued by studies of the brain.

As to your second paragraph..   :lol    It really is more facetious than anything. My taste in music is more flexible than Belladonna's brown button. I just appreciate prog more because of the endless possibilities it offers. The same could be said with jazz and classical music.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #227 on: January 27, 2016, 08:07:10 PM »
Besides me, yes--and not including the lovely ladies from this here forum either.

No. They were already aware of DT.

3. Have you ever failed to get a gent to share in your love with Dream Theater?
I reworded this, just because I can. No, but I quote their lyrics a lot and two of them have been quite intrigued. I don't guess that would equate to them checking them out or anything, but meh. Silly question is silly.

4. Why didn't he like them?
Dunno. It wasn't a question of "liking" them or not, to be honest.

Not DT, but LTE definitely.

6. What, in your opinion, is the best Dream Theater song for introducing a woman/man to the world of DT?
Dunno, and honestly it really doesn't matter IMO.

Okay, so I'm being a little flip with my answers, but count me in on the train of "women only like the softer stuff" or "love songs" or some such other bullshit being utter and complete bullshit. I've been a rock fan ever since I can remember, and a metalhead since I was about 14-15. Not all females are as "cookie-cutter" as some gents make us out to be. Thank goodness.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #228 on: January 27, 2016, 08:20:09 PM »
I'm surprised it took you this long to respond here.  :) 

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #229 on: January 27, 2016, 08:22:56 PM »
Yeah well... DT side is a bit nuts atm. Can't imagine why. :neverusethis:

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #230 on: January 27, 2016, 09:03:05 PM »
That Astonishing discussion thread is an unmitigated eyesore.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #231 on: January 28, 2016, 06:39:02 AM »
Women who like Dream Theater...

Creepy old guys acting like 13 yo girls count? Cause' I believe we have one of those around...

A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: January 28, 2016, 06:41:34 AM »

Creepy old guys acting like 13 yo girls count? Cause' I believe we have one of those around...

This complaint is getting old

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #233 on: January 28, 2016, 06:46:35 AM »
There is objective evidence that I'm a real person!  :lol

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #234 on: January 28, 2016, 09:21:14 AM »
There is objective evidence that I'm a real person!  :lol

I was not referring to you.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #235 on: January 28, 2016, 09:47:39 AM »
I've seen this wild specimen* before in live shows and local forums. I think I happened to meet a few metalhead girls who liked some of their more metal stuff, but it was always, like, just ToT and Pull Me Under. Like any (male or female) strangers I meet who know a DT song or two. Also, my girlfriend.

*I kid, of course. DT fans are pretty rare to find, male or female, but statistically I'd say there are plenty of women who like the band and there's no real difference in favorite songs between the genders; each person is his own unique world.

The last one on the list, yes. At this point she's only heard DT12, ADTOE, and maybe some Images and Words songs? She's mostly into, like, blues rock and things like that, and she doesn't have too much patience, so I can't introduce her yet to either the heavier stuff or the more epic stuff (SFAM, other epics). But she did absolutely love like 90% of what I let her listen to (I cherrypick the songs/albums each time  :P )

Well, I let my sister hear bits and pieces but she finds it corny/annoying etc (she's more into pop culture stuff, not saying it's bad, we just have very different tastes on many subjects). My cousin is a bit more of a hard rock/metal gal and I sometimes get her to like one song, but she has this stereotype in her head that ALL of their songs are "long, complicated and boring" even though I let her listen to about 15 songs+ that are either ballads or super short and groovy over the years. There was also this girl I knew who was super into Muse so I tried to let her listen to Never Enough but she just thought of it as a lesser version of Stockholm Syndrome-like songs (I don't blame her). My girlfriend sometimes dislikes a song here and there.

Explained above.

...Maybe it played in the background by accident at some point? Or we used it as background noise lol. I'd love to actually use it to "get in the mood" at some point, though. I'd make a playlist of their ballads or something :P

First, again, I'd like to say that if this thread tries to convey that girls have a separate, universal taste or something like that. If I wanted to be romantic and use DT songs for that, I'd probably try Speak to Me/I Walk Beside You/Through her Eyes some other (power) ballad. If you asked me what to play for the average Joe/Joette when you introduce them to DT, and I knew absolutely nothing about that person, I'd say taking 2-3 random stanzas of SDOIT (the song) is a pretty good sample. Otherwise, something off of DT12 or ADTOE, it's based on the same style that brought DT to fame in the 90s, but without that weird cloud of 80s hair metal sound in it (like I&W).

For fun time, again, either a power ballad or something rhythmic. Honestly their songs are not great for that and it's mostly about getting your geeky turn on of doing that thing you like to do while listening to the band you like, which I hope your partner wouldn't mind to do regardless of whether it actually fits the mood. I'd figure The Astonishing would have some, with the whole opera setup.

Wow, that came out long. Sorry.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #236 on: January 28, 2016, 09:51:51 AM »

*Wants to type typical male response*

Oh, Hi Deb! :biggrin:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #237 on: January 29, 2016, 01:02:52 AM »
 :lol

Offline shredd

• Always Awake
  • ROCK ON!
« Reply #238 on: January 29, 2016, 08:15:46 AM »

There was on chick I was flirting with, when I mentioned them she said she LOVES THEM....but could only name one song, surrounded. Needless to say it didn't work out between us

The other girl who semi-liked them was my ex and yep I sure did introduce her to them, but more about that soon.

many times

i guess THEY just didn't have the t
                                                       i
                                                        m
                                                           e    for music anymore

Well the way I introduced my ex to DT was by banging her to SFAM, explaining the story while we went and thrusting in sync with the odd time-signatures. I even stood up and acted out the murder scene. She thought it was pretty amusing

Depends on the girl and what they like, but I think When Your Time Has Come would be incredible no matter what.
We move in circles - Balanced all the while - On a gleaming razor's edge
A perfect sphere - Colliding with our fate - This story ends where it began

Offline matthewmatt

• the resident reactionary recalcitrant
  • Our pizza travelled far
« Reply #239 on: January 29, 2016, 08:20:12 AM »

Well the way I introduced my ex to DT was by banging her to SFAM, explaining the story while we went and thrusting in sync with the odd time-signatures. I even stood up and acted out the murder scene. She thought it was pretty amusing

:rollin
"They want to qualify their boys for jobs in the modern world. You can hardly blame them, can you?"
"Oh yes," said Scott-King. "I can and do." [...]
"If you approve, headmaster, I will stay as I am here as long as any boy wants to read the classics. I think it would be very wicked indeed to do anything to fit a boy for the modern world."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #240 on: January 29, 2016, 08:43:37 AM »

You, sir, are awesome!  :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #241 on: January 29, 2016, 08:58:33 AM »
One woman.

Make it two: 

:biggrin:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
  • Take me far away, to the ends of this earth.
« Reply #242 on: January 29, 2016, 09:05:47 AM »
None at all actually. Everyone in my school had never heard of DT.
Look at question 1.
Too much.
It was kinda my fault. Making them listen to The Dance of Eternity didn't help at all.
Umm, 8VM actually. The ending Petrucci solo and Rudess' bit made me a bit crazy and....that's a story for another day
I'd say I walk beside you or any ballads.
I've been drinking beer since I was 18 and dabbled since I was 16. I have at least 500 beer bottles in my collection and love the fancy shit though my wallet doesn't. I'll drink liquor not even five times a year including shots or mixed drinks. Jack Daniels and Coke is an easy go-to for me. Very smooth nads candy sweet.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #243 on: January 30, 2016, 01:58:45 PM »
1. Do you know any women who like Dream Theater? 2 of my exes.
2. Did you yourself introduce them to Dream Theater? One of them.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #244 on: February 02, 2016, 11:19:42 PM »

... dude. REALLY? :tdwn

*Wants to type typical male response*

Oh, Hi Deb! :biggrin:

Oh you two. :lol

I'd say I walk beside you or any ballads.

*bzzt*

Wrong answer, but I do admit most NORMAL females aren't into Dream Theater-type music at all. It's the blanket statement that we only like ballads or soft songs that kinda grinds my gears in this thread.

I dunno--I'm getting saltier lately. :getoffmylawn: