Author Topic: Anyone Else Feel This Way...?  (Read 1809 times)

Offline breaktheprisonwall

Anyone Else Feel This Way...?
« on: February 09, 2016, 05:52:05 AM »
I know that DT14 is a long ways off. I do. I honestly don't expect another studio album from them until late 2018 at best, but I was looking at the booklet for TA the other day and I had a thought. Most of us know that the music for TA was written solely by JP and JR. I noticed in another thread (can't remember where at the moment) that mentioned that of the three albums MM has appeared on, he's only given given writing credit/privileges on one. If I was Mike I probably wouldn't be too happy about that at this point. For DT14, I'd love to see the entire (yes, entire band, including James) band throw themselves entirely into it to make an album that is just as different and as special as TA:

- I know that JP and JR have always been the primary composers. Let MM or JM be the primary composer on a track and see what we get.
- Embrace more of James' lyrics. He has said for a couple albums he's written several different lyrics only to find that one (or none) actually make it to the final release.
- On the subject of lyrics, I'd love to see a more well-rounded (hell, at least one song from everyone) set of lyrics.
- On a personal note, I'd also love it to be structured like Octavarium. While not my favorite DT album, that one (again, in my opinion) has one of the best "sense of balance" that the band has put out. Plus it's incredibly well-paced.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Anyone Else Feel This Way...?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 07:04:09 AM »
Why?

If MM is unhappy, he can address it.  Either live with it, talk to the principals in the band, or leave.  He doesn't need us assessing and critiquing and deciding when enough is enough.

Let DT make the albums when how and like they want, and then it's up to us to decide if we like it or not. 

Here's what I want:
- let whoever the band feels came up with the strongest material write the next album
- let whoever the band feels had the most relevant thing to say write the lyrics
- let whatever structure the band feels works best be how the album is structured. 

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 07:18:56 AM »
I don't think JP is being a dick or anything; he just filters through the ideas pitched and picks what he feels works. I feel JLB, JM and MM are more in to perform than to write, they just love doing what they do. I think they'd be session/touring musicians if they weren't in DT.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 07:22:45 AM »
Yeah, I don't wish for the band to do anything other than what feels right to them.

However, if what felt right for them was to have Jordan produce, I'd be very curious about that product.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline pantsofeternity

• all ballads all the time
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 08:02:56 AM »
You might find further discussion of this in this thread:
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=45844
"There's no more freedom. The both of you will be confined to these pants." — me, to my legs, most mornings

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 08:04:56 AM »
If I was Mike I probably wouldn't be too happy about that at this point.
You're not Mike, though. We have no idea how he feels about the dynamics. He might love the fact that he gets to write his drum parts how he wants and isn't too bothered about feeding into the rest of the process.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 08:11:59 AM »
If I was Mike I probably wouldn't be too happy about that at this point.
You're not Mike, though. We have no idea how he feels about the dynamics. He might love the fact that he gets to write his drum parts how he wants and isn't too bothered about feeding into the rest of the process.
Exactly.  And as pointed out in that other thread that was linked to, the way the writing process works in the vast majority of bands (including, to the best of my knowledge, EVERY band MM has been in throughout his career) is that the drummer usually does NOT get writing credit on most songs unless he came up with the chord progressions or melody on a guitar, piano, etc.  To assume Mike is unhappy with the present arrangement is to presume that he for some reason wants to buck what is done in almost every functioning band nowadays.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 03:31:35 PM »
I believe that it's a matter of members actually stepping up to the plate and writing the music. JP and JR just happen to be the ones who choose to write the majority of the material (and in the case of TA, all of it).

Offline rab7

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 03:37:24 PM »

the drummer usually does NOT get writing credit on most songs unless he came up with the chord progressions or melody on a guitar, piano, etc.

You just reminded me of The Rev from A7X, whose death was the reason I became a DT fan in the first place. He wrote the melodies to a lot of songs, including the entirety of "A Little Piece of Heaven"

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 03:52:53 PM »
MM is probably making the most money he has in his entire career so I doubt he is that unhappy.  Not that I think any member of DT makes "holy shit money," but I think its safe to assume he is making more than he did in Annihilator or as a hired gun in Extreme or with Steve Vai or as a professor at a college. 

Perhaps he would like to have more input.  Perhaps James wants more writing credits (I sure want him to) but for the three members who have the least participation in writing, I'm sure they love being on stage, they love the music even if their involvement is minimal, and they like the money.  I doubt they are that unhappy.   

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 03:53:15 PM »
I noticed in another thread (can't remember where at the moment) that mentioned that of the three albums MM has appeared on, he's only given given writing credit/privileges on one. If I was Mike I probably wouldn't be too happy about that at this point.

I think you are totally way off and couldn't be further from the truth actually.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 11:16:41 PM »
I think if he has a problem with it, he would talk to JP and JR about it.

I would like more lyrics from JLB and JM, but here's the thing. If they have a really good idea, it will probably be considered and probably put on an album. Both have written lyrics when MP was in the band as well as after he left, so it's not like they're being stopped from contributing (except on TA, but that was a different situation). Not to mention if James writes lyrics and JP says no, he can use them for a solo album.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 11:37:29 PM »
Not all musicians are composers, and not all musicians want to compose music. MM and JM seem fairly passive in that regard, and it's not like any idea that those two might bring to the table would be rejected immediately by JP or JR, but the band seems very comfortable working in their current setup. If the band is happy, there's not any reason to change the dynamics.
Also, JR said that JP and himself are responsable for most of DT's musical output since he became part of the band, with MP working as producer and arranger to those ideas.
One thing I think is for certain, though. If MP still were a part of the band, we wouldn't have 'The Astonishing'. The style and vibe of that record doesn't strike me as something MP would pursue; and if we got an Astonishing with MP it would surely have more drum parts lol.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 12:05:07 AM »
The Astonishing with MP, with his influence that was getting darker and darker, could be a full baritone death metal with backups vocals swearing ?
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2016, 12:16:18 PM »
The Astonishing with MP, with his influence that was getting darker and darker, could be a full baritone death metal with backups vocals swearing ?

IT'S A MIRACLE SHE LIVED
IT'S A BLESSING THAT ONLY AHRYS DIED
BY THE GRACE OF GOD ABOVE
FAYTHE SURVIVED
EAAAAOOWWW *JLB's scream at the end of My Last Farewell*
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing