Author Topic: Parama's Coincidental Roulette! (FINAL RESULTS!)  (Read 54607 times)

Offline 425

Re: Parama's Coincidental Roulette! (ROUND 3 LISTENING)
« Reply #175 on: September 09, 2015, 02:56:33 PM »
Here's a secret: When I did mine, I would write the first impressions after the first listen, but I wouldn't actually post them until after the second listen.

That way if I wrote something I didn't think made sense at all with how I felt about the song the second time, I could just not post it.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #176 on: September 09, 2015, 02:57:35 PM »
I post snippets from first impressions because those tend to be the most genuine reactions, but first impressions don't necessarily have to line up with my final thoughts (a lot of them haven't thus far)

Offline 425

« Reply #177 on: September 09, 2015, 03:00:09 PM »
Yeah, I mean I kind of like that yours are pure first impressions, especially knowing that mine... weren't, really. Well, they were, but censored. I just figured I'd mention it in association with you thinking it may have been the wrong time for you to do those.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #178 on: September 09, 2015, 03:03:21 PM »
for what it's worth round 4 is the perfect time to send me post-rock or post-metal like alcest if you have any of that saved up, most of that i wouldn't count as prog  :tup

Offline 425

« Reply #179 on: September 09, 2015, 03:04:42 PM »
I think I know what I'm going to send for round 4, and will do so this evening.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline LordCost

« Reply #180 on: September 09, 2015, 05:42:30 PM »
Sent round 4!

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #181 on: September 09, 2015, 06:07:01 PM »
for what it's worth round 4 is the perfect time to send me post-rock or post-metal like alcest if you have any of that saved up, most of that i wouldn't count as prog  :tup

I thought about that, but my first encounter with the wish list has me feeling a little timid. Specially when there are a ton of great bands that don't make either list.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #182 on: September 09, 2015, 06:24:22 PM »
the wishlist is basically just stuff I've been meaning to check out and haven't really, it's not indicative of "I will definitely like this"

i can understand your hesitancy though  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #183 on: September 10, 2015, 12:21:41 PM »
Through a second listen, I guess things have improved slightly, both my least favorite and most favorite from first listen got more enjoyable and a few of the others were a bit better but some are still leaving me cold  :(

scores are in like the 5.5 to 8.5 or 9 range right now, only one song even stands a chance of getting the bonus +.5 and might get it, not sure. if ben levin got it this one might as well too, i figure? *shrugs*

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #184 on: September 10, 2015, 12:33:05 PM »
Worst will be around 5.5? I guess it won't be that disastrous :lol
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #185 on: September 10, 2015, 12:43:34 PM »
I'd rather have a 9, but I'll be happy with the 8.5 as well  ;)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #186 on: September 10, 2015, 01:01:04 PM »
preliminary scores don't necessarily mean final scores, some songs get rated down on repeat listens, some get rated up, so who knows

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #187 on: September 10, 2015, 06:02:12 PM »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #188 on: September 10, 2015, 10:37:37 PM »
A few scattered comments after the third listen.

One of the tracks has a stretch of stuff I don't like surrounded by stuff I dig quite a bit, and that one stretch is probably going to drag the entire thing down.
One of the tracks might be kind of ruined for me by the mixing, it's completely wrong and the song can never achieve a "full" sound that it really needs as a result.
Two tracks that just don't stand out for me in any way and I can't really get into.

be happy

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #189 on: September 11, 2015, 06:48:41 AM »
Love that I have the opportunity to play in a roulette anyway. Results aren't the importance for me.  :tup I get to discover music too.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #190 on: September 11, 2015, 07:17:02 AM »
The bottom write-up just has to be mine, 99%.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #191 on: September 11, 2015, 07:23:07 AM »
Also, i'm pretty sure I didn't send for round 4 so far, correct?
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #192 on: September 11, 2015, 08:54:06 AM »
you did actually send for round 4 already  :lol

gave the Brand New album a spin, pretty quality stuff, don't think any of it is as strong as Limousine on first listen but I definitely want this album.
expect results tomorrow, I'd say

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #193 on: September 11, 2015, 08:55:40 AM »
The other songs will grow on you, believe me. And then you'll love it.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #194 on: September 11, 2015, 05:47:25 PM »
i seem to easily be able to recognize my favorite song each round on first listen, 'cause that hasn't changed in any of these rounds.
unfortunately it's not gonna get higher than a 9 since i don't think it matches the 9.5 or 10 of previous rounds
i think this round as a whole was a bit disappointing though really  :'(

Offline LordCost

« Reply #195 on: September 12, 2015, 06:19:58 AM »

The guitar and drums are having fun screwing a little with the rhythms in the verses while still maintaining a constant time, it’s pretty cool.

Uhh, hopefully this one’s a grower. They’re doing some mildly cool stuff, but I’m not too in to any of it for whatever reason. Nothing wrong with it, just… eh?

I hope to be the first of these two and to score a 9 :D

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #196 on: September 12, 2015, 09:26:26 AM »
gave the Schizoid Lloyd album a listen this morning.

wow. I need this.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #197 on: September 12, 2015, 09:36:24 AM »
:tup

I thought you'd like that ;)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #198 on: September 12, 2015, 09:45:34 AM »
this bandcamp page actually has a few other albums i might check out too, hmm.
the mp3 downloads are all "name your price" but i feel bad about just getting them for free lol (also i want a physical copy because heck yeah physical copies but physical copies are a bit pricey everywhere I've looked  :lol )

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #199 on: September 12, 2015, 09:54:24 AM »
I don't know where you live, but Blood Music released their first album through their label. You can get it for a very reasonable $12.99 (€12.99 if you live in Europe) on their website, though I have no idea what the shipping costs will be, as the label is located in Finland.

Store: https://www.blood-music.com/store-us/
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #200 on: September 12, 2015, 10:05:16 AM »
yeah shipping is my bigger worry, unfortunately  :lol
amazon doesn't have it sponsored so I can't get it through them without shipping either. there's a seller for under $12 and $4 shipping though. maybe.

listening for the last time and doing write-ups right now but I'm gonna be interrupted by making lunch so expect them in like 90 minutes or 2 hours from now

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #201 on: September 12, 2015, 11:29:40 AM »
Round 3 Results:

Shadow Ninja 2.0: Kvelertak – Mjod

First Impressions: Whaaaaat have you sent me. This is apparently labelled both “hardcore punk” and “black metal” on rateyourmusic, neither of which are genres I like… much… at all… Like, okay, this isn’t awful, and it’s short enough to not get grating. But it’s just kind of a wall of sound with one or two riffs and some really unpleasant vocals.

Final Thoughts: This one at the very least, grew on me a liiiittle bit from my first listen. That being said, I don’t really know how much of a place I have for this. It’s basically just two riffs, combined with, yes, very much black metal style vocals. I just. Can’t stand those kind of vocals at all. The group vocals on the chorus are okay though. The song does go a fair few places in the short runtime, but it does boil down to just variations on the same riffs. I think the intro bass groove is my favorite part of this whole thing though. Don’t hate this or anything but I don’t get much out of it, sorry.

Score: 5.5 (+.5 Bonus) = 6/10

FlyingBIZKIT: The Dear Hunter – The Thief

First Impressions: Uhh, hopefully this one’s a grower. They’re doing some mildly cool stuff, but I’m not too in to any of it for whatever reason. Nothing wrong with it, just… eh?

Final Thoughts: This is my fifth listen now and I only vaguely remember hearing any of this before; and I’m not sure why. I give each song the same listening environment and attention, but only this song leaves me entirely cold. The sound is vaguely pleasant, the 5/4 feel is done well, and there’s some decent buildup. The hits that occur on the buildup of the bridge should be powerful and memorable.

And yet… here I am, listening to this again, and just getting nothing from it. I have no clue why, honestly. I’m trying to look at this objectively and objectively it should be getting at least an 8, but… for whatever reason I can’t get into this in the slightest. Sorry. Maybe it’s just too slow of a grower?...

I’ve really struggled rating this one fairly. My mind says it should be 8, my gut says it should be a 6 or lower. I’m going to take the middle ground between those two and hopefully not regret it too much.

Score: 7/10

Train of Naught: Avenged Sevenfold – Save Me

First Impressions: I have indeed heard some Avenged Sevenfold before. Entirely through guitar hero and rock band! And they’ve always occupied the space of “this is totally fine but I wouldn’t actively seek it out”. So hopefully your 11 minutes of a band I’m very meh on works out. This does go a lot more places than what I’ve heard from them before, and it’s… alright, but I can’t say it’s doing a whole lot for me on first listen. Maybe it’s because of the mixing of the instruments but the “big” parts at the end don’t feel big enough to me. Like, almost there, but not quite.

Final Thoughts: I like the bass groove at the very start, basic as it is. And I like the guitar leads in general, though they don’t really stand out. The song feels like it kind of meanders for a while until the vocals come in though.

There’s just ooooone underlying problem that persists throughout the song.

Who the hell mixed this. Aside from the intro, there’s very little bass throughout the song, and a lot of the time the song is really attention-guiding to an unhealthy degree. The big chords in the background are too low to give the song the big sound it really needs to, and this is especially noticeable in the buildup at the end, which never really comes to a climax because it can’t get loud enough with the mixing. A lot of the time the lead will drown out everything else, too.

And honestly, you probably should’ve sent something shorter. This is kinda samey for 11 minutes. Half that and I’d probably be able to get more out of it. Alright, here’s a part with a soaring guitar lead. Now here’s a part where they chug on one chord a lot. Here’s some more guitar leads. Have some bells.

I’m far from hating this, don’t get me wrong, but I feel I’ve heard better songs from this band simply through what I’ve previous been exposed to. Beast and the Harlot is pretty good though poorly structured. Bat Country has good energy. This… just drags too much for me to really get into, unfortunately. The only thing not-by-the-numbers about this is the length, I feel. And Portnoy’s drumming, of course, which is pretty good.

Score: 7/10

425: Voices From the Fuselage – Meteorites

First Impressions: You did it, you sent a song. Ashe sounds different on the intro to this than his TesseracT stuff but when it kicks in I can tell it’s the same vocalist, yeah. There’s enough cool riffs here and some good atmosphere to keep me interested. I don’t really think it stands out in any way from the similar stuff in the genre, though. Nice to listen to, but nothing special, I don’t know.

Final Thoughts: I kind of feel bad because I kind of pushed you a little to send me this, but at the same time I didn’t really know what to expect other than “prog metal”.

And that’s what I got. Like… fine-tuned prog-metal that technically sounds good, but doesn’t really stand out for me in the slightest. Ashe is a good singer and his voice suits the music well enough. The instrumentation is varied enough and it’s all pretty pleasant and powerful. I certainly enjoy this. But it’s not making me rush to check out more from the band, and I’m probably going to forget about it a week from now.

Score: 7.5/10

LordCost: ThumperMonkey – Wheezyboy

First Impressions: Oh god, I dig the bass tone and groove of this intro a lot. The rest of the song just kind of… happened, though. It’s alright and I’m not tired of that bassline yet so I’m not bored or anything, but… dunno, not that engaging.

Final Thoughts: Duuuude. I super dig the guitar/drums/bass groove of the softer parts of this. That’s just a cool thing. The swelling synths in the background are also a nice touch. But then when the heavy part kicks in… ehh. It has energy, sure, but it just doesn’t appeal to me. The vocals especially, I just don’t like them at all here, whereas they’re fine in the rest of the song. And the heavy riff being played isn’t especially interesting, at least compared to everything surrounding it.

Two-thirds of this song I think is pretty cool stuff, though not my favorite or anything, but then there’s the middle third that I kind of wish wasn’t there. Nothing about this is awful though. It just kind of… happens, though, there feels like very little variety for the length. I vaguely like this but I’m not sure I’ll return to it.

Elite: Agent Fresco – See Hell

First Impressions: I like the singer here a fair bit, nice voice. The guitar and drums are having fun screwing a little with the rhythms in the verses while still maintaining a constant time, it’s pretty cool. This one’s leaving me a bit cold on first listen, though, but hey, that’s why I listen multiple times.

Final Thoughts: The math nerd in me does like the 11/16 riff played over 3/4 time. That’s a cool thing and something I can really get into. And yeah, the singer’s voice is nice. Reminds me of the Haken guy a little, or at least I think that’s who I’m reminded of. I think one thing that gets me about this is that it doesn’t feel dynamic enough. The chorus isn’t that big compared to the verses, but it feels like it should be.

While I do vaguely like this one, I can’t say it’s evoking strong feelings from me in any way. The groove of the song is pretty strong, but it kind of feels like a lot of the same after multiple listens. Doing one thing well, but that one thing isn’t quite enough to make it go from a good song to a great one.

Tomislav95: Akira Yamaoka – Theme of Laura

First Impressions: Never played this game myself but I’ve seen a playthrough of it, it’s pretty good. I vaguely remember this song a tiny bit, I guess, but I don’t actually remember the character it’s named after. It’s a pretty decent slice of instrumental rock with some violin for good measure, but I don’t know how much I’m really going to get out of this.

Final Thoughts: Man, this is actually a surprisingly moody song isn’t it. The bright, dreamy intro, the upbeat main lead, and then the darker guitar line that follows it. This is very much a soundtrack song, though, and outside of context there’s not really a lot for me to gain from this. I enjoy listening to this. I probably won’t come back and listen to it again, but it’s been a pretty strong song all-around in this round.

Score: 8/10

Sacul: David Maxim Micic – Where is Now?

First Impressions: I gave this album a single listen before but I don’t remember it very well at all so it’s perfect okay with me for you to send this. It’s a pretty big-sounding song for the first few minutes, maybe drags a little but I like what I’m hearing anyways so whatever. Liking the violin quite a bit, too. The song goes a lot of places and incorporates a lot of different/weird elements while still sounding pretty cohesive, though on first listen I wouldn’t say I’m, like, crazy about it, but it’s good!

Final Thoughts: This guy is just a madman, apparently. First he mixes djent with female vocals and pop influences. Then he mixes progressive metal with… whatever he felt like throwing in the blender. This song is just a constant journey, going to a lot of different places while still feeling impressively cohesive.

The first bit is a big build of a section, and I pretty well love it, it’s diverse enough and gets to be plenty full. When the song finally takes a break, we get a fantastic violin solo and a cool bassline. Then a jazzy heavy riff that’s just fantastic. And then it goes all big band on us with some scat singing and… somehow that doesn’t feel out of place in the slightest, it’s actually pretty damn awesome. The solo after is a bit shreddy but it works, maybe because of the palm-muted beginning. A return to the first section closes out the song full-circle, and both the male and female singers here really give it their all to make it sound as big as possible.

Score: 9/10

senecadawg2: Foals – Spanish Sahara

First Impressions: The vocalist on this isn’t my favorite on first listen, this kind of male vocal sound isn’t something I really care for, but it’s not bad. The focus here is the build of the instruments, anyways, and the atmosphere, and that? That is done well, for sure. It doesn’t really feel like it takes too long to get huge, and it teases at it a little closer to the start.

Final Thoughts: This is one hell of a grower. God, I came to love this song in the last few listens. The lyrics actually helped, I think. This is all about the atmosphere and the build. And I really like the vocalist here now, actually, which helps. Mmm. It’s just a really evocative track. The second time it builds up and gets really full is probably the single best moment of this entire round. I really did not expect to be rating this one this highly on first listen but I am definitely loving it quite a lot, each listen just got better than the last.

Score: 9/10

mikemangioy: Bent Knee – Being Human

First Impressions: 30 seconds in: Oh I guess this is going to be a nice atmospheric female-fronted pop song. Soon after: HEY HI THERE I’M A HEAVY ROCK RIFF. The contrast is very noticeable. The atmosphere of the quiet parts is something I really dig, though, and her voice matches it well. The “suddenly loud” parts kind of… clash though, they’re cool parts but is this really the same song? I dunno. It gets really noisy but in a kind of cool way, later, I will admit that this is probably my favorite so far even if the loud/soft contrast feels a bit clunky.

Final Thoughts: Now that I’ve listened to this enough, the heavy/loud contrast feels a lot more natural. And once that roadblock is out of the way… god damn, this is amazing. The atmosphere of the quiet parts and the classiness of the heavy parts play off each other perfectly. The transitions between the two are done pretty well, too.

The singer’s voice here is really nice, I’m quite a fan of it. The piano and synths here make this very textured and pleasant. It kind of reminds me of Lorde’s Buzzcut Season, though I think the atmosphere there is slightly better.

But then she proves she can sing just fine over the heavier stuff too. Those are some wacky chords but they work so well, and the violin in the mix helps really bring them to life. The breakdown in the middle with the odd rhythms and guitar noise is possibly the best part, though. That is just the perfect embodiment of chaos right there. And the final chorus section is just massive and glorious.

I liked this one the most on first listen and that hasn’t changed, but it went from “this is pretty cool” to “second best song thus far” with relistens. Another good grower.

Also, I can’t believe you secretly sent me Ben Levin again. That’s the second semi-repeat artist of the round.

Score: 9.5/10

Current Standings:
Sacul – 26.5
mikemangioy – 26.5
senecadawg2 - 26
Elite – 24.5
425 – 24
Tomislav95 – 24
LordCost - 22
FlyingBIZKIT - 21.5
Train of Naught - 20.5
Shadow Ninja 2.0 - 17.5

This was a really polarizing round for me. The top three here are among the best and most interesting stuff I've been sent, while the rest didn't really do a whole lot for me. Also subnotes: I ping-ponged between 9.0 and 9.5 on Foals and I'm sorry I went with the lower score but I didn't quite feel a 9.5 from it :<

Anyways, send for round 4! A lot of y'all have been sending me non-prog stuff anyways and I've found a fair bit of it to be pretty strong (Brand New, Coldplay, Foals were all great) so I'm expecting good things.

Offline senecadawg2

Re: Parama's Coincidental Roulette! (ROUND 3 RESULTS)
« Reply #202 on: September 12, 2015, 11:34:19 AM »
I'm glad that the song grew on you that much! I won't be able to send until tomorrow but I think I know what it'll be.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #203 on: September 12, 2015, 12:09:20 PM »
Yeah I totally agree with you, this is not a good song to introduce someone to Avenged, it's nothing like their usual stuff, which also gave me the motivation to send it, I thought it'd be fun to expose you to a different side of them, and I don't regret it that much either.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: September 12, 2015, 01:20:38 PM »
Fuck yes  ;D . That's a fantastic song mike, no shame losing half a point to it. Will send soon.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #205 on: September 12, 2015, 01:26:20 PM »
i'm actually already listening to that Bent Knee album already because please.
I imagine I'll have to listen several times before it all sets in though, as did Being Human. Seems pretty good so far.

both In God We Trust and Battle Creek stand out to me a bit, thus far
Sunshine is also pretty intense
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 01:45:54 PM by Parama »

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: September 12, 2015, 02:47:39 PM »
Now go listen to Bilo 3.0 :neverusethis:

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #207 on: September 12, 2015, 03:23:00 PM »
Wow, I like my score in this round, not too bad. As I already said, there are great songs in SH soundtrack, some of them feature awesome actor/singer Mary Elizabeth Mcglyn. Now I'm sorry I didn't send you something with her on vocals, maybe it'd be less soundtrack sounding (if you want, check I Want Love).
If I'm not mistaken I sent you something simple and beautiful few days ago ;)
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #208 on: September 12, 2015, 03:26:19 PM »
Now go listen to Bilo 3.0 :neverusethis:

it's on the list and probably the purchase list too
(i actually did listen to it once before, but that was months ago and all i remember is not liking the vocals in smile  :lol )

also I hope people don't mind me spamming my own thread I like to give feedback and talk with people here  :lol
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 03:39:36 PM by Parama »

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #209 on: September 12, 2015, 04:43:15 PM »
Bummer, I was hoping you'd like The Dear Hunter.