Author Topic: How long did it take for you to shred some DT?  (Read 1026 times)

Offline Manolito Mystiq

How long did it take for you to shred some DT?
« on: August 23, 2015, 01:08:15 PM »
Or put any other band you like.

I mean, I’ve been playing for quite some time (15+ years, I’m 30 now). My strength is my knowledge of music theory; my weakness is my guitar playing. I never could play fast. And I did practice on small things for hours, for months.

I figured it might be because I’m a real lefty, and I play right handed. Some time ago, I decided to start all over playing left handed. My left hand as the picking hand is so much more controlled and has a lot more endurance and can be fast, and I’m just starting... It’s so odd, but it might make sense. My right hand, now as the fretting hand, obviously needs time, and it will probably take some years to get somewhere, but I never had the control, I have now playing left handed.

I also got Rocksmith 2014 and a lefty Yamaha Pacifica guitar. I practice 3 to 4 hours a day (an hour of Rocksmith included) with sets of 30 minutes each.

When practicing, I just start strumming one string only (usually the B-string) in a constant motion and after a while I apply my fretting hand to pick something like 0-4-5 or 5-5-7-8 over and over. I like the 5-5-7-8, because I can use that fretting to play the “Blade Runner - Ending Credits” by Vangelis.

Then, I try three notes per string—or four notes (chromatics)—two strings only.

I seem to prefer circular picking or this turning motion of the wrist (rather than the vertical motion).

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: How long did it take for you to shred some DT?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 01:35:22 PM »
I've been learning / playing guitar for about 18 years and I...

CAN. NOT. SHRED.

My hands just won't let me do anything complicated.

AT. ALL.

I've practiced until my hands ACHED and unlike most people - I get WORSE with practice.

Meh. I'm happy with rhythm playing and melodic Noel Gallagher esque lead playing. :dunno:

There's plenty of shredders in the world ( youtube ). We don't need one more.

I just try to focus on my strengths and actual song writing.

Offline maximumrocker

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 04:43:07 PM »
I have been playing a decent amount of my life, 9 years or so. I still can not play a lot of Dream Theater songs. There are some song I can play. But, you have to remember that Dream Theater is in an Elite class of there own. Extremely technical, lengthy songs etc etc. Don't beat yourself up if you cannot play it. I always find myself beating myself up on why I cant play like Petrucci. I just remember that he dedicated hours and hours.  Maybe one day I will be able too.

As for other bands, yes. There are plenty of songs I have a challenge of learning. Thats is the thing with playing guitar, or an instrument. If it came easy after awhile everyone would do it. If there was no challenge would you actually enjoy playing? Would the excitement become lost?

Music is a life long activity, do not get down on yourself. Your journey is not the same as whoever inspires you!

Offline Tiko

• Keyboardist for The Storyline
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 06:47:32 AM »
1-2 years (keys). Those solos by Rudess are pretty insane but I did spend maybe 8-10 hours a day practicing, I was very motivated. Speed is something that can be developed via practicing. If it doesn't seem to help look into your practice routines, you're probably doing something wrong. Here's a simple yet effective tip: if you're practicing something and make mistakes you're playing too fast. You should be all loose and relaxed and only increase tempo when you can comfortably do so without making mistakes. Our guitarist can play anything DT and would surely offer you guys the same advice - I used his philosophy a lot when I was getting into keys.

- Tiko

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 07:50:35 AM »
Ha! tried to play 'Pull me under' on drums a couple times with a guitarplayer who could play the song. Got through the intro alright.... right up to that first break into the chorus....yeah fuck it, I'll just stick to 4/4 punkrock, thank you! 
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....