Author Topic: The antagonists get more ridiculous in every Karate Kid (LaRusso/Miyagi) flick  (Read 1287 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
1:
Johnny and the Cobra Kai's are the main antagonists, with them basically coming off like a bunch of high school punk bullies.  Kreese isn't really a main antagonist yet, since he is merely their rigid sensei, who always orders them to show no mercy.  Johnny, to his credit, gives LaRusso some props when he is defeated in the final match, even if he was the main antagonist whose ass you wanted to see get kicked for most of the movie.

2:
Kreese is briefly shown at the beginning as coming off like a much worse person than he did in the first, but Miyagi quickly takes care of him.  The main antagonists become the cartoonish Sato (the way he says, "MIYAGI!", is never not unintentionally hilarious) and his nephew Chosen, who quickly develops a hatred for LaRusso, simply for no other reason than he is Miyagi's friend.  Every time there is an exchange between Sato and anyone, he uses that cartoonish angry voice ("DO NOT EMBARRASS UNCLE AGAIN!"), and his death stares were money, if not over the top.  Chosen consistently comes off like a tough guy with no redeeming values whatsoever.

3:
The most ridiculous.  Kreese returns as one of three antagonists, the other two being Mike Barnes, who is merely a young karate master who wants to kick Daniel's ass cause he thinks he is a joke, and, perhaps the most absurd "villain" ever, Terry Silver.  Silver is such a caricature that it is always impossible to take him seriously as a character you should hate.  That scene in the dojo where Silver and Kreese are laughing like villains in silent movies is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen.  I wonder if that was actually in the script that way, or did the actors just go over the top with their laughing? :lol :lol Thing is, Kreese does a good job as antagonist otherwise, always having that steely stare that could cut through you, but Silver always had that swarmy grin, when combined with his laughing, made him more comical (in a bad way) than anything.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
FUCK THE SMITHS!

...oh wait... So sorry.

I only saw the first one and enjoyed it as a kid. [Gump] And that's all I have to say about that. [/Gump]

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Terry Silver  :hefdaddy

Oh my god, does he make that movie. And is the reason why part 3 is my favorite. Millionaire dude puts everything on hold to harass the shit out of this teenager, I love it. Its insane.

Kobra Kai NEVER DIES  :metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZdZnB_2drc
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 01:14:52 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I have to think that when the cameras were off, Silver and Kreese kept laughing while thinking, "I can't believe we're getting paid to do this shit." :lol :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Perhaps...

Macchio was the real antagonist all along,  ::)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_Gz_iTuRMM

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Perhaps...

Wow, it's almost as if someone already posted that.  :biggrin:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
The original is a classic but the sequels were really forgettable. I've seen the sequels at least two times, but they weren't really memorable. I know he goes to Japan in one of them, and I remember that Kreese teams up with another bad guy to take down Daniel (why would a 40-something man team up to beat a kid?), was that in the third?

I also vaguely remember a 4th movie with Hillary Swank, but at that point I honestly wasn't interested.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Perhaps...

Wow, it's almost as if someone already posted that.  :biggrin:

Oh crap, my bad  :blush

I was getting too excited by all this Karate kid talk

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
lol no worries

Offline PetFish

My problem is just with the 3rd movie, didn't bother with anything after it.

By now he's fought through bullies, won a tournament, and even fought for his life, but then in III he's even MORE of a 98-pound weakling than ever before.  When those bullies first showed up he should be good enough and confident enough and man enough to wipe them out but he just gets bitch-slapped over and over.

Larusso should have pummeled that little goon squad which would force the Bossman karate pony-tail to come take care of Larusso himself.

TL;DR - I just HATE that he's a giant pussy after all he went through in the first two movies when he should be wiping the floor with bullies.

Also, any chance I can get to post this I'll take it:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olQ3vaiv47I

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.