Author Topic: The Beatles APPRECIATION THREAD  (Read 6769 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The Beatles APPRECIATION THREAD
« Reply #140 on: September 01, 2015, 05:06:20 PM »
Rocky Raccoon has long been a favorite of mine from The White Album.  Some days, it would make my Beatles top 20.

I've never cared much for Why Don't We Do It in the Road? 

Revolution 9 is definitely total dog shit. 

Calvin6s

« Reply #141 on: September 01, 2015, 07:35:27 PM »
The White Album always felt like the most filler album to me (for the latter phase of the Beatles).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #142 on: September 01, 2015, 08:21:39 PM »
No such thing as filler when it comes to the Beatles.  Even Revolution 9 isn't filler; it was just Lennon trying to do something different (but failing miserably).

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #143 on: September 01, 2015, 08:35:01 PM »
No such thing as filler when it comes to the Beatles.  Even Revolution 9 isn't filler; it was just Lennon trying to do something different (but failing miserably).

Hmmmmm....

I got LOVE the other day from a second hand store.  It was like $5 or something.  Any one into that? I think its fantastic, great mash ups and stuff.  Its like a nugget fest, picking out what elements of what song are being used at any given time.  Great stuff.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #144 on: September 01, 2015, 08:50:22 PM »
It was cool to hear, but while I still have it tucked away somewhere, I don't think I've listened to it since right after getting it when it first came out.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #145 on: September 01, 2015, 09:39:03 PM »

I agree.  I do tend to take things too literally, but to me, "filler" is literally substandard songs which were included to fill out the album.  The Beatles were having some issues, and a lot of the tracks on The Beatles were indeed basically solo tracks by the individual guys, but that gave each of them a chance to flex their wings a bit.  I don't hear anything on that entire album that doesn't sound like they wanted it to be there.

Remember, back then, you were either in a group or you were a solo artist, period.  Nowadays, various band members can go off and do solo projects or side projects or whatever, then the band gets back together in a year or two and makes another album, or goes on tour.  For me, some of the fun of listening to The Beatles was figuring out (or just guessing) who wrote what.  It's just a little easier here.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #146 on: September 02, 2015, 07:18:25 AM »
It was cool to hear, but while I still have it tucked away somewhere, I don't think I've listened to it since right after getting it when it first came out.

I'm in between; it's not something I listen to regularly, but it is interesting, and it is fun to suss out the sources of parts and pieces. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #147 on: September 14, 2015, 07:42:17 PM »

Hmmmmm....

I got LOVE the other day from a second hand store.  It was like $5 or something.  Any one into that? I think its fantastic, great mash ups and stuff.  Its like a nugget fest, picking out what elements of what song are being used at any given time.  Great stuff.

Totally re-energizes the music. I think it's awesome and very creatively done. I reach for that just as much as for the rest of it.