Author Topic: Parama's Accidental Top 50 Albums List! (Current: #1)  (Read 26980 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: Parama's Accidental Top 50 Albums List! (Current: #44)
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2015, 10:57:47 AM »
I do like some pop, but more towards the Art-pop side. So you lost me again.  :corn

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2015, 11:03:19 AM »
what if I never wanted you to begin with  :loser:

Offline 425

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2015, 11:08:19 AM »
I just ordered this album, actually, as part of the first round of purchases from my roulette. I really liked Buzzcut Season (which, in case anyone is wondering, Parama sent me in said roulette) a lot. I'll let you know what I think of it!
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2015, 11:10:53 AM »
unfortunately i did send you the best song, but that's not to say the others aren't great stuff  :lol

Offline 425

« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2015, 11:13:09 AM »
damn you for sending the best song in the competition where you have to try to send the best song  :lol
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2015, 03:09:51 PM »
I do like some pop, but more towards the Art-pop side. So you lost me again.  :corn
Lorde is art pop. Definitely not regular pop, anyway.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2015, 03:59:37 PM »
I'll have to give her a try then.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2015, 05:05:19 PM »

#43: Bodies of Water - A Certain Feeling

At the intersection of 70's prog, indie rock, and folk, we get Bodies of Water. This album is certainly interesting and diverse. Under the Pines is a song I've sent a ton in roulettes and it's generally received a positive response, and it's my personal favorite off the album as well I'd say, though there's really a lot to love here. It's hard to talk about this album without diving into each of the songs, since every one does something different and unique. Gold, Tan, Peach, and Grey is the intro track, building up slowly to its huge chorus, with a lot of great rock between choruses that keep my attention. Only You is a downtempo folk rock song that serves as a nice cooldown from the first two high-energy tracks. Water Here sounds more like russian folk rock than anything else to me, with a slow first half and faster second half. Keep Me On is the true ballad track of the album, getting pretty big by the end with a nice guitar solo and group vocals. Darling, Be Here is a very 70's-sounding song with a lot of guitar and a cool jam section in the middle. Even In A Cave is... an odd beast, for sure, with a very slow and plodding first half, and an instrumental, proggy jam in the second half. If I Were A Bell tricks you with a slow intro before turning into another very 70's track, with a really extended groove throughout half the song that I just plain love. The Mud Gapes Open is a brief closer, ending on a weirdly dark but at the same time bright tone.

I really have a hard time giving a general feel for this album because it's so diverse but every song works for me and I always enjoy relistening to it. Their first album didn't do much for me and I haven't checked out their third but I probably should at some point since this is a very interesting band that I'd love to hear more from.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Parama's Accidental Top 50 Albums List! (Current: #43)
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2015, 05:09:41 PM »
Fates Warning is the only album I can comment on so far.........I enjoy it and I have said before that one of the things that really stands out for me is Zonder's drumming (and I rarely rave over drumming :lol)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2015, 05:15:33 PM »
I'm lost after Fates and BTBAM.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2015, 05:17:55 PM »
i promise we'll get back to prog metal eventually  :rollin

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2015, 07:07:02 PM »
By the way, Gregor Samsa is nestled somewhere on my priority list, which means I may get around to it sometime in the next decade, and Agaetis Byrgun is an awesome album, and has some of the best SR songs on it, though I prefer a few of their albums to it.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2015, 07:39:58 PM »
By the way, Gregor Samsa is nestled somewhere on my priority list, which means I may get around to it sometime in the next decade, and Agaetis Byrgun is an awesome album, and has some of the best SR songs on it, though I prefer a few of their albums to it.
Come on, can't be that long  :P

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2015, 08:10:38 PM »
only know FW at this point

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2015, 08:16:23 PM »
That was meant in some degree of jest, but you’d be surprised. I don’t hurry myself, and I’m stretched fairly thin. I often find myself checking out a band many years after originally bookmarking them.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2015, 08:44:23 PM »
That was meant in some degree of jest, but you’d be surprised. I don’t hurry myself, and I’m stretched fairly thin. I often find myself checking out a band many years after originally bookmarking them.
So you have a written list or something? Just curious.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2015, 10:54:33 PM »

#42: Mono - Hymn to the Immortal Wind

Another one of those albums that I just let flow as I listen to it. A brilliant post-rock album, with heavy orchestration and a big wall of sound. It's just simply beautiful. Ashes in the Snow is one of the best post-rock songs there is, and Everlasting Light isn't far behind. Everything inbetween those two is great as well, but I just get lost in it, it's just, really beautiful stuff. I don't think there's much else I can even say about this one. I have a few other Mono albums but this is the one I started with and it's still my favorite, for sure.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: Parama's Accidental Top 50 Albums List! (Current: #42)
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2015, 11:12:58 PM »
Altered State and Pure Heroine are the only two I'm familiar with so far. Not really top 50 material for me, but good albums.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2015, 12:54:35 AM »
 :corn
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2015, 12:59:12 AM »
That Mono album is fantastic. Great pick. :tup

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2015, 01:48:30 AM »
My favorite post-rock album :tup
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2015, 02:59:04 AM »
Mono played nearby a few years ago, so I checked out this album. Listening to it again, I get the same impression. Pretty good, but nothing that really floors me.

So you have a written list or something? Just curious.
Yeah, I keep a number of lists as Word documents to help me keep track of stuff I mean to check out.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2015, 09:39:09 AM »

#41: Caligula's Horse - Moments From Ephemeral City

I get to claim hipster cred on this because I was into Caligula's Horse way before anyone else here knew about them, nerds.
This debut really impressed me, and I still come back to listen to it. It's just good progressive metal, though generally on the lighter side of things. Sam Vallen is a very talented guitarist with a knack for writing good hooks and riffs as well as some very pretty quiet parts, and the vocalist of his band can really make those hooks work. The City Has No Empathy has an incredibly good chorus and some fantastic instrumentation under the two big solos, plus a really rockin' outro that goes on for juuuust long enough. Silence is a mostly mellow song with a few louder moments at the start, but the entire song is just a buildup to its fantastic solo section and outro. Singularity is a prog metal instrumental that basically amounts to being one long guitar solo, but a damn good one and it's not like the other instrumentation is week.

The big "epic" of the album is Alone In The World, which is basically just two different songs stuck together, but that's the only really fault I have with it. The first half has quiet verses and louder everything else, with a pretty impressive solo before the transition to the second half, and the second half is mostly quiet except for THAT BLOODY BEAUTIFUL OUTRO SOLO. Seriously, best solo on the album, probably the best solo the band's ever put out, I just love it. After that point come the three songs I don't love as much as the first four, but they're all okay in their own rights - Ephemera is a short ballad with an acoustic solo at the end, Equally Flawed is a pretty standard progressive metal song that does stretch its outro a little long, and Calliope's Son is a more standard progressive metal instrumental with a lot of cool riffs and some good soloing too. If the rest of the album was as strong as the first four tracks this would be far higher on this list, but it's still a great album from a great band.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Parama's Accidental Top 50 Albums List! (Current: #41)
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2015, 02:09:19 PM »
not a clue

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2015, 02:43:14 PM »
i like this one a bit

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2015, 04:14:54 PM »

#40: Devin Townsend - Ziltoid the Omniscient

Considering the survivor I'm running I'm sure some people were waiting for Devin to show up on my list somewhere, well, here's the first of definitely-not-the-last Devin albums on this list.

I like this one a lot because Devin really created a certain sound that's unique to this album, though that could be said about many Devin releases, I'm sure. It's heavy, but not ridiculously so, it's silly, but not over-the-top, and it's got a lot of good melodies too. Some of the tracks on this album line up with the best Devin's ever put out. Solar Winds especially, but I also like By Your Command, Colour Your World, and The Greys a ton, and Planet Smasher and Hyperdrive are pretty great too. I think what keeps this from rating higher is the weaker tracks, Ziltoidia Attaxx!!! and N9. The former is a straight-up heavy song that doesn't really have the most interesting of riffs, and the latter is just really redundant and unnecessary, musically. I don't think either are awful songs though, at the very least.

It's a shame Devin went in a different direction on the follow-up, Dark Matters is far, far too over-the-top to where the story overtakes the music, but here? Great balance of both, and the story starts out pretty silly but delves into more serious themes as the album progresses, who would've thunk it. Not my favorite Devin album but a great one, and considering how many he has...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Parama's Accidental Top 50 Albums List! (Current: #40)
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2015, 04:16:58 PM »
I've tried.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2015, 04:17:50 PM »
oh my god have you tried

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2015, 04:59:53 PM »
The first album I have actually heard of on this list. And one that I love quite a bit too.  :lol

A lot of people say ZTO is an overrated album but I find it to be one of Devin's best. Definitely beats out Ocean Machine and Terria for me.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2015, 05:50:56 PM »
The first album I have actually heard of on this list.
Never heard of Colors  :huh:
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2015, 06:15:09 PM »
The first album I have actually heard of on this list.
Never heard of Colors  :huh:

I didn't even know a band called Between the Buried and Me exists.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2015, 06:16:26 PM »
you're gonna be pretty pissed that there's no periphery on my list i bet  :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2015, 06:20:57 PM »
Boring.

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2015, 11:02:56 PM »
I actually really like lists that have bands or albums I haven't heard so that way I find more new music to check out.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”