Author Topic: Parama's Accidental Top 50 Albums List! (Current: #1)  (Read 27081 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Parama's Accidental Top 50 Albums List! (Current: #7)
« Reply #245 on: August 28, 2015, 03:59:30 PM »
Ghost Reveries and Remedy Lane  :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Parama's Accidental Top 50 Albums List! (Current: #7)
« Reply #246 on: August 28, 2015, 09:23:06 PM »

#6: Sigur Rós - ( )

Behold, the most ungoogleable album title in the history of my list. And easily one of the best. By far my favorite post-rock record. Yeah, there hasn't been a huge presence of post-rock on my list because post-rock is something that I like to listen to but a lot of it fails to stand out to me, pleasant as it is. Sigur Rós have their own unique sound and have made one of the greatest albums I've ever heard using their sound to its extent.

Every track is beautiful. Every track is also Untitled, so we'll refer to them by their alternate names. Not that there's a huge need to, as the only proper way to listen to this album is front-to-back.

Vaka. Absolutely beautiful. Perfect opener.

Fyrsta. A bit brighter, very relaxing and hypnotic.

Samskeyti. The most beautiful song in the land. I have never found someone who dislikes this song, and woe be unto the person who does dislike this song, for they are the spawn of the devil.

Njósnavélin. Very bright, very soothing, but probably my least favorite track on the album. Not that that's saying much when the entire thing is great, but.

Alafoss. Sluggish and far darker than anything prior.

E-Bow. Not as sluggish and a bit louder than the prior track but just as dark.

Dauðalagið. Longest song. Climax of the album, really.

Popplagið. A deceptive beast. Starts off as the brightest song on the album. Turns into the darkest. Ends with an absolutely heavy and frantic climax.

It's basically impossible to talk about this album, you just have to listen to it. Sigur Rós have mastered the art of using space in music, of building atmosphere, tension, mastering moods, it's really a basically flawless album. I've probably listened to this album the most out of everything on my list. I have nothing else to say about it.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Parama's Accidental Top 50 Albums List! (Current: #48)
« Reply #247 on: August 28, 2015, 09:24:30 PM »
Great album, and even if I prefer ( ) a bit more, can't go wrong with either.
dude why did you instantly assume agaetis was my favorite  :lol
you ruined my life for two weeks, but not really, but i found it funny

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: Parama's Accidental Top 50 Albums List! (Current: #6)
« Reply #248 on: August 28, 2015, 10:53:45 PM »
>implying I assumed agaetis was your favorite sigur ros album

Fantastic record, need to listen to their music more.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Parama's Accidental Top 50 Albums List! (Current: #6)
« Reply #249 on: August 29, 2015, 09:29:26 AM »

#5: Riverside - Anno Domini High Definition

Riverside were a progressive metal band with a fairly unique sound, who made some albums that I find to be pretty good. Then they added some electronic influence to their music and made this masterpiece of an album. I've been in love with this one basically since I first heard it, and have never really gotten tired of it. I mean what isn't there to love here? The fact that it does, inevitably, end? Put it on repeat, problem solved.

Hyperactive is the opener, starting out with some pretty piano as the more energetic, frantic, main instrumentation fades in. Hyperactive is definitely a good name for this song. I love how in the verses everything abruptly cuts in and out when the vocals come in. And there's so much to this song, far more ideas than you'd think would fit into a 5 minute track.

Driven to Destruction is a more bass-driven, industrial-ish sounding track. Not as frantic as the previous, but still pretty upbeat. The song has a fair number of quiet parts and some buildup to its climaxes, and again, just a ton of ideas crammed into its runtime.

Egoist Hedonist is a three-part song, and done very well, as the transitions between its separate parts are very smooth. The first part is fairly calm for the first verses, but a heavy riff kicks in with some delicious organ on top of it. After another verse the second part begins with the first "chorus" of the song. Love the instrumentation in this section, especially the bit right after the chorus. After another chorus the third part kicks in, a softer, half-tempo feel, before kicking into a faster instrumental with lots of fun riffs and just, generally great music, building up to a heavy end.

Left Out is a power ballad, though quite a long one. Again bass-driven, more and more comes in as the song progresses; the full band pops in for a moment, and then a slow buildup to the first heavier part, again with the organ. There's a quiet bridge between the main song and the instrumental that has some great atmosphere and has the song take a darker turn. A bluesy guitar solo of all things comes in as the feel of the song changes, and we get a lot of heavy riffing, building up and up to the climax at the very end (which also has a very bluesy feel), and some delicious dissonance to close off the track.

And then Hybrid Times. Oh man. What a monster of a song. Again starts with piano, but much more frantic piano, fitting the song quite well; this song is just frantic and hyperactive most of the way through. Even the quieter moments have tons of energy to them. Around the halfway mark, things calm down for the final lyrics of the album, not the happiest end, and the song from there on out is an instrumental, with some chugging riffs, a nice solo, and one last burst of frantic heaviness. The last few minutes are driven by electronic elements and drums, a bit of a build to have the album end on as strained of a note as the rest of the album has been.

Really though, I can't adequately describe why this album works just going song-by-song. The main thing is; this is how I want prog metal to be done. It's not showcasing how proficient the band members are at their instruments (though they're all good) but the music they write using various time signature changes and heavy riffs and electronics and organs and whatever else they wanted to throw in there - just sounds damn good. And the production on this album is -stellar-, crystal clear and all the better for it. I love how this album sounds, I love every second of the music on here, I could listen to it all day and never get the slightest bit sick of it because there's so much on here and it never gets repetitive or stale. I'm absolutely positive I'll still be listening to this album 20 years from now and enjoying it as much as I did when I first heard it.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Parama's Accidental Top 50 Albums List! (Current: #5)
« Reply #250 on: August 29, 2015, 10:14:52 AM »
Great album, love how Riverside sounds like Tool but with synths, and much better music. Can't decide if I like this one or SLS more. Hope their new album is better than SoNGS.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #251 on: August 29, 2015, 10:16:03 AM »
god i sure hope it is.

comes out next friday but i probably won't be getting it until around the end of the month, gonna wait for TesseracT to release too  :lol

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #252 on: August 29, 2015, 01:33:20 PM »
I listened to this album once, now I'm listening to it once again, since what I heard was awesome.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #253 on: August 29, 2015, 02:16:03 PM »
That Popplagið ending, what a climax  :hefdaddy
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #254 on: August 29, 2015, 03:37:12 PM »

#4: Dream Theater - Awake

Yeah, this one wasn't obvious at all. Nope. Noooot at all.

Dream Theater is a band.

This is an album.

A very good album. Their best. One of the best.

Awake sounds unlike anything else in their discography, it's very much an entity of its own and very good for it. Generally darker, especially compared to their previous album, and with a lot rougher vocals from LaBrie. The songs are technical but not too show-offy. It's charged with emotion and filled to the brim with creativity.

6:00 is the grooviest song the band's ever released, love those drums and love those keys. The guitar riffs are cool too, and LaBrie's singing matches the tone of the song perfectly.

Caught in a Web is a pretty straightforward rocker, catchy and enjoyable. I really like the instrumental break here, it stays to lower octaves at the start and gradually builds, leading to some faster guitar licks near the end. It's the kind of technical I dig.

Innocence Faded is a very poppy and accessible track, though done well, that happens to have one of the best instrumental sections DT's ever done at the end. I love the section and the solo, it's so classy and so fine-tuned to all work together well.

Erotomania is a journey of an instrumental, it passes through a lot of ideas but does so in a way that keeps it cohesive, and it helps that I like all the ideas. The main riff at the start and end, the riffing before the acoustic bit, the pre-reprise of The Silent Man, Petrucci's third solo is fantastic, and it comes full circle in a cool way, ending with an ambient-ish bass solo of all things.

Voices is one of the longer tracks and it's a master at build-up. The piano verse to the first chorus and basically everything from the break in the middle to the end of the song is one long buildup, and Petrucci's solo here again is another one of his best. Absolutely adore this song, top 10 DT easily.

The Silent Man is a nice little acoustic ballad following the intensity of the album up to this point. A good break, the solo's very nice.

The Mirror is AWESOME. Hell, I wish more prog metal was like this. There's no show-offing here at all, just cool riffs, some nice atmopshere, and a fantastic breakdown at the end. As well as the best chorus on the album, easily. I loooove everything about this song.

Lie immediately follows, and it's a more straightforward rocker, though it goes through its moods too. I really like the chugging before the first solo, and the second guitar solo section is cool too, but this probably ends up as my least favorite track on the album (but still great).

Lifting Shadows Off A Dream is another softer track, I really like the delay effect Petrucci uses to make some simple clean picking sound really atmopsheric and dreamy. The song also does a nice bit of building up and the instrumental section here is cool too, a really good power ballad.

Scarred is my single favorite Dream Theater song, nothing will ever top it, and I don't feel a need to say any more, except that I love every moment of this song.

Space-Dye Vest is a Kevin Moore song, but it serves as a really good closer to the album nonetheless, it's quite dark and depressing, but there's a ton of emotion there, and the build at the end is really powerful.

And yet, this fantastic album is only #4. Such is life.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: August 29, 2015, 03:38:11 PM »
Scarred is my single favorite Dream Theater song, nothing will ever top it, and I don't feel a need to say any more, except that I love every moment of this song.

Wasn't The Root of All Evil your #1?
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #256 on: August 29, 2015, 03:38:53 PM »
i'm going to briefly touch upon some honorable mentions by artists that didn't make the list at all tonight and do my top three all tomorrow, since the top three are... basically all tied for #1. There's not really any notable difference, they're only barely in an order and would easily switch depending on my mood (right now I actually feel #3 as my current #1, but just barely, I love all three of these upcoming ones way too much)

so i wanna do them all in one day, and i wanted to do honorable mentions anyways, so yeah

and no, TROAE was my #2. though these days I think Take The Time would beat it out for that slot.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #257 on: August 29, 2015, 03:40:25 PM »
My #4 fav DT album, but still a great record.

Offline 425

Re: Parama's Accidental Top 50 Albums List! (Current: #4)
« Reply #258 on: August 29, 2015, 03:45:03 PM »
Dream Theater, yes, absolutely. Awake, this high? Not in my opinion.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #259 on: August 29, 2015, 03:55:37 PM »
Good choice :tup
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #260 on: August 29, 2015, 04:00:58 PM »
Awake is an album I really like but have to be in the mood for. I really dislike the whole Mind Beside Itself suite so that drags it down a bit in my rankings.

Erotomania has a very good second half, but the first few riffs and passages are pretty subpar imho.
Voices never really grew on me. It has it's moments but overall doesn't work for me.
TSM is pretty okay, the best part of the suite.

The rest of the album is flawless. Mirror and Scarred are top 10 songs.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #261 on: August 29, 2015, 11:10:57 PM »
Honorable Mention time!

Muse - Absolution - I guess I could say I'm a fan of Muse but even on their best album I'm not 100% a fan. While I like most every song on this album, some of them quite a bit, Apocalypse Please, Time Is Running Out, Stockholm Syndrome, Hysteria, Ruled By Secrecy are all great, none of them evoke incredibly strong feelings from me. Solid album front-to-back, though. Might've made the list if I'd not been rushed to do this.

Ólafur Arnalds - For Now I Am Winter - I like this album a lot, as well, but at times it's a bit empty, it kind of runs out of momentum after Old Skin as well. Very pretty piano-driven music with some strings and other orchestration, plus some good vocals, and Old Skin is a favorite of mine for sure.

Guilt Machine - On This Perfect Day - Probably my second favorite of Arjen's albums, Season of Denial and Perfection? are top-tier songs and Twisted Coil and Leland Street are pretty cool too, but I've never been too hot on Green and Cream (which sounds a lot like Newborn Race at times) nor Over. The songs I do like are some of Arjen's best, though.

Steven Wilson - Hand. Cannot. Erase. - Fairly recent album, and while it's easily my favorite of his solo works, I don't think it's comparable to the better Porcupine Tree albums. I like 3 Years Older a fair bit, Home Invasion and Regret 9 are pretty cool, and Ancestral has a fantastic instrumental, Happy Returns is a good closer. The shorter songs are all decent, Routine feels very... off to me, though. I don't know if it handles its subject matter quite right, or if it's just too depressing to enjoy, for me.

Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here - A good album on the whole, with some excellent tracks, Thin Air, A Simple Mistake, and Hindsight especially, but when I stopped listening to this frequently I found myself forgetting large chunks of it; it doesn't stick with me well. I think Anathema tends to be that way for me in general, Judgement was the same, Weather Systems is the same, Distant Satellites is the same. All of them have a few standout tracks and the rest I find myself just mostly indifferent on. I think I've given up on really loving Anathema, but they're alright.

Cloudkicker - The Discovery - Lots of cool riffs and a nice fusion of djent sound and post-rock, but a little monotonous at times. I still dig this album and listen to it occasionally. Never got too into any Cloudkicker releases after it, though, dunno why.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven - It's probably a crime to leave GY!BE off my list, but... while I've always liked them and respected them, there have always been elements I've not been so fond of. The samples aren't really ever my thing, and their albums all tend to feel a bit empty at times. While this is the closest they came to making my list, and I do like this album a fair bit, it's not strong enough front-to-back for me.

Hammock - Departure Songs - I love this album to death but only as something I don't actively listen to, and as a result can't really justify putting in on a list of favorite albums when I wouldn't be able to place most songs by name. I sleep to this album a lot or just put it on when I want light, pleasant music, though, quite often, need to get more Hammock at some point.

IQ - The Road of Bones - Pretty good, although not really special in any way, progressive metal album. The Road of Bones and Until the End are great, powerful songs, and I like From The Outside In, but Without Walls falls into the category of epics I'm not a huge fan of, feels incohesive and, well, the way it starts just irks me. That's the start of a short ballad interlude, dammit, not the centerpiece of your album. Not that it's a bad song, just that I can never get much into it.

Pink Floyd - Animals - I like Pink Floyd, I really do, they make a lot of good music, but it's rarely something I'm in the mood for. This is probably my favorite due to the jammy nature of the tracks and the concept, though Wish You Were Here is not trailing far behind. DSOTM is good too, The Wall is alright, and I like Meddle a bit as well. But yeah, can't say I'm crazy about them.

Skyharbor - Guiding Lights - This is the direction I want to see more djent bands take, again, some post-rock influence here and no harsh vocals to be found, using the structured riffs to make more interesting music beyond just heavy music. I don't think this was quite there for me, but I still like this album a fair bit; maybe the next Skyharbor album will really click with me.

This Will Destroy You - Tunnel Blanket - Another album I listen to a fair bit but don't actively listen to too often, it's very nice mood music, kind of similar to ( ) but not as strong front-to-back, and a bit less focused. Their self-titled album is pretty close behind, I like it a lot too, the best songs are all on that one but there's weaker songs that break up the mood a little for me, and this one's just far more consistently enjoyable to me.

Radiohead - OK Computer - This is the #1 rated album on RYM and while I can agree it's a good album, I'm not crazy huge on it or anything. I like most of the songs, excluding Climbing up the Walls which is meh, and Paranoid Android and Exit Music (For A Film) are both pretty great, the rest just falls in a category of "good music". I think Kid A is a more "interesting" album all-around but I tend to find myself liking this one more, Kid A has a few more weaker or pointless tracks than this one.

Cursive - The Ugly Organ This -would've- been on the list if I was starting it just now, probably somewhere between 20 and 30. I love the use of dissonance on this album, and the lyrics are incredibly personal to the point where I feel bad for just listening to them, but enjoy them nonetheless. And I approve of 30 minutes of anger and energy ending with, essentially, a 10 minute post-rock track that reprises a section from an earlier track. But yeah, wow, pretty quickly fell in love with this one when I got it some two weeks ago and have been spinning it a fair bit.

Rosetta - The Galilean Satellites - I got this in the mail only a few days ago and pretty instantly could tell it would've been an easy top 20 album, maybe top 10, if I'd had it earlier. This is an utterly fantastic record; the first disc is very evocative post-metal, the second disc is very charged dark ambient, and both discs can be played at the same time to produce one of the most beautiful (not in the standard "pretty sense though) records I've ever heard, absolutely going to nerd out over this for a month I bet. Aaaggh. Brilliant stuff.

I think that's enough, haha  :lol
I will say right away that I do feel there are a few changes that probably needed to be made to this list, a few things too high, a few others too low, one or two I probably shouldn't have had on the list at all, but I'm pretty happy overall with how my very rough top albums list came out, and the top 5 is absolutely perfect the way it is, at the very least. Not that they were hard picks for me. Not that the top 3 three-way-tie was very hard for me either, haha.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
Re: Parama's Accidental Top 50 Albums List! (Current: Honorable Mentions)
« Reply #262 on: August 30, 2015, 12:42:50 AM »
I like a couple of those honorable mentions, also Awake is just plain awesome as you've said.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #263 on: August 30, 2015, 12:50:21 AM »
Awake...........I know that one   :tup  Good to see the end of Innocence Faded get some kudos - one of my favourite DT/JP moments too.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #264 on: August 30, 2015, 10:03:37 AM »

#3: Thrice - Beggars

Oh man, who would've guessed the album cover I use for my avatar was one of my favorite albums, hahah.

Beggars is a bit softer of an album than Vhiessu, and doesn't incorporate electronic instruments at all. But what remains is... a purity, that just makes every song on this album work, and makes it work as a whole. The music is all very good on its own and the music properly mimics the emotion of the vocals, the best Kensrue's ever been. And this is one of the few albums where I find the lyrics very important, not only are the songs all strong musically but each of them have a good message or tell an interesting story.

It's also a very diverse record, each song fits into a different style. All The World Is Mad is an upbeat rocker that toys with rhythms and is just, really catchy and really well-written. The Weight plays with a quiet/soft dynamic a lot, with pretty restrained verses and a grand chorus, and the message of faithfulness is certainly a great one. Circles is a quieter song in general, almost feels like it has a bit of post-rock influence at times with what the guitars are doing, and I'll be damned if I don't agree a lot with its message too. Doublespeak has a great piano and drum driven groove, with some cool bass stuff happening too, with a more sluggish chorus and bridge. In Exile has a thumping snare rhythm consistent throughout most of the song, with a big chorus and a soaring outro. At The Last has a heavier main riff and chorus, the band's older post-hardcore sound still shining through, and the buildup to the second chorus is phenomenal. Also, the lyrics of this song make me feel like a jerk kinda. Wood and Wire is a very downtempo, beautiful song, with a message of finding hope in even the darkest of places, a very pretty outro as well, one of my favorites off the album for sure. Talking Through Glass is a straight-up heavy track with a high amount of energy, which gives way to We Move Like Swingsets, a short acoustic interlude. The Great Exchange has one of my favorite sets of lyrics in any song ever, and it's another pretty calm song with some energetic drums to give it a bit of a pulse. Beggars closes the album with a loooong but effective buildup, starting with just acoustic guitars and subdued vocals, the vocals getting more intense as the music does, and just at its peak - a quiet final verse, before exploding into a pretty epic outro.

I never get tired of this album. It's ten great songs with ten great sets of lyrics and a pretty-near flawless album from beginning to end; I'd say the only reason it's below my #2 and #1 is because it's the shortest of the three, there's not as much to love as on the other two, but the quality this record provides more than makes up for its short length.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Parama's Accidental Top 50 Albums List! (Current: #3)
« Reply #265 on: August 30, 2015, 11:26:01 AM »
In hindsight, that's not a surprising pick at all :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #266 on: August 30, 2015, 12:08:49 PM »
My #4 fav DT album, but still a great record.

Same here.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Parama's Accidental Top 50 Albums List! (Current: #3)
« Reply #267 on: August 30, 2015, 04:17:10 PM »

#2: Oceansize - Frames

This is a weird choice to have up this high, because there's a song on here that I'm not that huge on, namely Sleeping Dogs and Dead Lions. The problem then, is, that 5 of these songs are UTTERLY AMAZING and the other two unaccounted for are pretty dang great too.

Especially of note is that the run of Unfamiliar-Trail of Fire-Savant-Only Twin is the best run of songs on any album I've ever heard. Four brilliant, wildly different songs one after another.

Unfamiliar is probably the most "standard" song of the album, but subtly one of the most complex; the drumming is fantastic, the three layers of guitars interplay with each other very well, the song has a lot to it and comes to some great climaxes. It's "standard" but very refined, and very good.

Trail of Fire takes a more post-rock approach, being a pretty restrained song for half its runtime, but there's a ton of very nice moments and it slowly builds up to a huge wall of sound, fantastic riffs and leads, everything coming together with a high amount of energy for a fantastic climax.

Savant is a much more relaxed track overall, with some interesting drums and heavy use of orchestration, but even one of the most relaxed songs on the album still comes to a pretty nice climax by the end. Just a really beautiful song, can't help but love it.

Only Twin is dark dark dark, very chilling and emotionally charged. It's also quite interesting instrumentation-wise, the drums give a frantic feel to the otherwise relaxed first half, and the choruses in the second half come to a great climax. Haunting, fantastic song that I never get sick of.

And then... The Frame. Another one of my favorite songs of all time (and, spoiler; the third song that competes for my #1 favorite is on the #1 album). Absolutely beautiful, every second of it. The music, the lyrics, the buildup, the payoff, perfect, flawless.

The other songs on the album... Commemorative 9/11 T-Shirt is the opener, and it grooves on an 11/8 time-signature the whole way through, with some building throughout the song, it's a good start to the album and it transitions very well into Unfamiliar. An Old Friend of the Christies is a post-metal type of song, sluggish and slow for the first half, with a loud climax in the middle and a bit more of the quiet chugging to finish off the track. And Sleeping Dogs and Dead Lions is the "heavy" track of the album, it's an okay track but there's some weird parts I've never been too fond of in the middle, and it feels a bit out of place.

But this is definitely an album I never get tired of revisiting, and the majority of the album is amazing enough for me to overlook a few flaws. I think the only reason this isn't #1 is because of those flaws, whereas my #1 pick is pretty perfect front-to-back.

Offline senecadawg2

Re: Parama's Accidental Top 50 Albums List! (Current: #2)
« Reply #268 on: August 30, 2015, 05:07:47 PM »
There were a couple years that I listened to ( ) every single night before going to sleep/while sleeping. Top 6 album for me, too, I think. ADHD has been getting a lot of plays from me recently as well, though for a long time it was my least favorite Riverside album. When it comes to Thrice, I prefer the Alchemy Index. Lastly, I've given Frames several tries and I enjoy it, for the most part, but haven't ever been blown away.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #269 on: August 30, 2015, 06:48:33 PM »
Lastly, I've given Frames several tries and I enjoy it, for the most part, but haven't ever been blown away.
This. I've never been able to get into Oceansize - their style isn't my cup of tea. I like a bit of Effloresce tho  ;D

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #270 on: August 30, 2015, 06:50:42 PM »
yeah, I know y'all are allergic to great music  :loser:

Offline 425

« Reply #271 on: August 30, 2015, 07:03:35 PM »
Lastly, I've given Frames several tries and I enjoy it, for the most part, but haven't ever been blown away.
This. I've never been able to get into Oceansize - their style isn't my cup of tea. I like a bit of Effloresce tho  ;D

Yeah, I was kind of here after listening to Only Twin a few times. Good, but not really my favorite thing and not as great as some of the praise they get. But that's only one song so I'm not going to say that I flat out don't like this band. I'll try more at some point.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #272 on: August 30, 2015, 10:19:21 PM »

#1: Pain of Salvation - The Perfect Element I

Yeah... I fairly quickly decided this was going to be #1 and I'm pretty sure that decision has held up. Pain of Salvation have crafted an essentially flawless album, musically, lyrically, conceptually. I don't think there's a single section of this I dislike, and very little that I don't find quite as good as the rest.

And heck if the album isn't a diverse beast. The nu-metal influence on this album is used pretty perfectly in Used, giving a pretty straightforward but intensely powerful opener, with the second half being a long buildup to the huge climax. The song introduces the male main character, He, with In The Flesh (almost certainly a Pink Floyd reference) introducing the female main character, She. It's a much lighter track all-around, with some nice melodies and tons of atmosphere, but it has a pretty big and loud climax too.

Ashes is probably the most "single"-ish song the band's ever written, completely straightforward and with a standard song structure, but since it's Pain of Salvation, it's still very emotionally charged and moves the story along well. I do like the two guitar-theme throughout the majority of the song, and the spoken word bridge is cool too. Morning on Earth is a quieter, contemplative song, the main instrument being... I dunno, but it's a neat one. The spoken word bridge here is honestly one of my favorite moments of the entire album, with the way the music builds as Gildenlow gets more intense. The chorus of this song is also very nice.

And then, Idioglossia. What a beast of a song. There is not a single second of this song I would change, there is not a single moment I take any issue with, and there's so much to this 8-and-a-half minute song it's crazy. From the high energy of the intro, to the delicious main riff of the verses and outro, the proggy clean prechoruses, the reprise of Ashes for the chorus, especially the second one where the energy really kicks up, the frantic as hell solo following that second chorus, the way the outro just builds and builds, more and more voices coming in, finally crashing with Gildenlow's primal scream at the end. The lyrics of the song are powerful and Gildenlow's vocals are incredible. No contest, best song of the album, best song the band's ever put out, possibly the best song of all time. What a song.

Her Voices, immediately following, has big shoes to fill. And... well, it comes pretty damn close. The bright intro and calm first verse give way to a big reprise of the intro and a more energetic second verse, with the chorus following being very charged and powerful. The instrumental section is great too, the high-energy guitar lines keeping the momentum going, and it builds into a fantastic climax of an outro, probably my favorite part of the song, but I love this one a ton too. It's just not quite Idioglossia, ahah. Really like the themes of the song too, very dark but effective.

Dedication is a calm but somber moment, a brief lament over the loss of a loved one with fitting music, invoking nostalgia but also melancholy. Not much to say about it. King of Loss is one of the longer tracks, with a slow build in the early verses, exploding in a huge chorus. I think my favorite part here is the bridge and instrumental break after the second chorus, though. I like this song quite a bit but these two tracks are probably my two least favorites on the album nonetheless, which is to say they are rocking A minuses while the rest is A and A plus, basically.

Reconciliation does a thing I rarely see done well. The main lead is a reprise of Morning on Earth's main theme, but instead of the same calm feel, this one is of loud anger and regret. It keeps the same theme but applies it to a different concept, which makes it feel fresh as well as making the record more cohesive. I quite like the instrumental break here, brief as it is, and the fadeout outro is used well to crossfade into the next track, Song for the Innocent. I actually wrote a short paper on this one once discussing the lyrics, since I doubt they'll ever lose their relevance. The first half is soft and calm, but the lyrics betray the dreamy sound of the song. The second half is one heck of a guitar solo, probably my favorite solo of the album.

The penultimate track, Falling, is basically an intro to the closer, The Perfect Element. Falling is primarily just an ambient guitar solo over some warm synth, the last note fading into the real intro of the song. And while The Perfect Element is a great closer as a whole... it's really let down by its chorus. The song calls for a massive chorus, basically being the climax of the album, but all we get is a kind of big one. It's a shame, because every other part of this song is basically flawless. The verses building up to the first chorus, the heavy verse between the first two choruses, and especially the entire section building from a quiet acoustic riff to the final chorus. So many cool ideas, so much raw emotion, and the brief moment of silence with "will I ever walk again" sang as somberly as possible... and then we end with a slightly disappointing final chorus, there's just not enough payoff to the buildup, but it's a fine song nonetheless, and the drum outro is really cool. The chorus isn't weak enough to ruin the song for me, it's still quite a great track.

And the concept speaks to me at least to some level; I didn't go through any sort of abuse as a child, but I know that childhood isn't exactly the easiest thing in the world either. Whereas with Remedy Lane, well... I'm asexual and aromantic so the most I can do there is sympathize, but I can actively feel this album. I've dealt with a fair bit of what the album deals with, and it treats the subject matter with respect while still getting a lot of good music out of it.

Pain of Salvation is a great band. Was a great band. I don't know if they still are, their last home-run album was a decade ago now, which is a bit of a shame, but I can always hope there will be a return to form at some point, blah. They've left behind a legacy any band could be proud of, though, and I love all of their first five albums quite a lot.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Parama's Accidental Top 50 Albums List! (Current: #1)
« Reply #273 on: August 30, 2015, 10:51:22 PM »
Now that is an amazing album, love it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #274 on: August 30, 2015, 11:18:11 PM »
There's nothing in the top 3 that I've heard of.  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #275 on: August 30, 2015, 11:19:20 PM »
what -have- you heard of, anyways

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #276 on: August 30, 2015, 11:58:08 PM »
I don't know. DT is a pretty cool band. :neverusethis:

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #277 on: August 30, 2015, 11:59:35 PM »
Oh my, the number of times I have listened to TPE can not he counted. What a brilliant album, good choice!
Squ

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #278 on: August 31, 2015, 12:09:05 AM »
I can't really seem to get into PoS, and this album bored me to tears. Nice list tho  :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #279 on: August 31, 2015, 12:10:06 AM »
yet you signed up for my roulette anyways :rollin
place your bets on your average score now