Author Topic: Parama's Accidental Top 50 Albums List! (Current: #1)  (Read 27036 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Parama's Accidental Top 50 Albums List! (Current: #12)
« Reply #210 on: August 27, 2015, 09:05:38 AM »

#11: Thank You Scientist - Maps of Non-Existent Places

This is the kind of music that makes me nerd out about music. It's energetic, it's evocative, it's certainly unique, and it's plenty diverse. The band is halfway between Coheed and The Mars Volta and takes the elements of both that work, refines them, and uses them to create something original and amazing. The band's lineup includes a trumpet, a violin, and a saxophone, alongside other traditional rock instruments like guitar, bass, drums. And every single one of them is great at their instrument.

Prelude is a short a cappella track that starts the album off on a relaxed note, which is perfect for A Salesman's Guide To Nonexistence to kick up the energy right away. While mostly a straightforward rocker, the bridge has some fun time signature stuff going on. And it helps that the chorus is really strong and really catchy.

Feed The Horses starts off with a bit of somewhat dissonant, very offbeat instrumentation, before kicking in to a cool horn line. And the chorus of this one... probably the best on the album, really. Utterly fantastic. Can't neglect to mention the quiet part that builds up into the final chorus, and the entire ride of the buildup is glorious too.

Blood on the Radio is the "epic" of the album, with a distinct Spanish (or Mexican I really never can tell the difference) sound to its opening, lots of horns and sax action here. The chorus has a catchy rhythm to it and the verses have a cool riff going on that makes me happy on a technical level. The instrumental section is also tons of fun, with a unison between all the instruments playing another Spanish-y riff, then a groovy guitar riff under a sax solo. The highlight of this one for me has to be the verse right after the sax solo though, I just love that one. The buildup to the guitar solo is also great, and the transition from the solo back into the final chorus is basically perfect.

After that monster of a song we get Absentee to cool off, it's a power ballad that doesn't really kick in too hard until the last third of the song. There's a great sax solo and a good chorus before it really kicks in, though. The shift from light to heavy that happens is definitely my favorite part, the way the whole band kicks in, the melodies the guitar plays after it does, basically everything from that moment until the end of the song is fantastic.

Suspicious Waveforms follows, and it's a jazzy instrumental used as a platform for all the band members to get their turn to show off. As in, all six. All of them get a solo. Though this one's probably my "least favorite" on the album I still like it a lot and the solos are all pretty impressive in their own right, plus the song they're part of is structured well with a lot of cool stuff happening.

Carnival follows, probably my favorite on the album, I just love everything about this song. The intro/B-chorus riff, the way the first verse starts, the verse riff and vocals accompanying it, the buildup into the chorus, the high energy of the A-chorus, the heaviness of the bridge, the cool bass and drum groove leading into the violin solo, that absolutely fantastic solo itself, with the band under it really accentuating it, and the trumpet/sax unison that follows being great and accentuated in the same way, the riff that follows the solo and later closes out the song, I could gush about this song forever honestly it's sooooo good.

Concrete Swan Dive is a bit of an off-kilter track, hopping between a lot of different moods; the first few bits are quiet and pleasant, and then the angry, heavy chorus kicks in, with tons of cool guitar action going on under the soaring vocals. The aggression carries over into the next verse, though it's a bit held back in the first half of the verse. There's a cool riff in the bridge that I can't help but get into the rhythm of, basic as it is. Though this one's not one of my favorites either I still get a ton of enjoyment out of it, as weird as it is.

In the Company of Worms starts out with a shamisen of all things, as if there weren't already enough instruments on the album, and then the heaviest riff of the entire album kicks in; yeah, the last two tracks are a lot heavier than everything up to now. I think my favorite part of this one is the prechorus, though, and the bridge's drum groove. The solo is also very different and wah-heavy, and there's a pretty crazy technical guitar lead immediately after it that builds into the last chorus perfect.

The album closer, My Famed Disappearing Act, starts off making you think you're listening to Protest the Hero with a blistering guitar lead, before kicking into a frantic heavy riff that keeps the energy going, and the first doesn't lessen the energy either; it's not until the chorus that things slow down, but instead the energy is replaces by heaviness and epicness, another really good chorus for sure. The bridge here is great, every single part of it, we'd be here all day if I listed out all the cool things about it. The guitar solo's also the best on the album, and by far the longest, reprising the chorus vocals at one point and showing just how skilled the guitarist is without being pointessly shreddy. The final chorus is more relaxed, which is perfect for the intro lead to come back in for a reprisal and end the album on a frantic note.

This is probably the newest addition to the "unofficial top 10" and I see this one only rising in time, 'cause I love this album and I love this band and can't wait to hear more from them. The song-by-song writeup this time is way too long and I'm not apologizing because it's what this album deserves.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #211 on: August 27, 2015, 09:06:48 AM »
things i am super stoked about: seeing TYS with Coheed and Cursive in October, that's gonna be amazing
things i am not super stoked about: i still have 10 writeups to go and they'll probably all end up this long whoops  :lol

Offline 425

Re: Parama's Accidental Top 50 Albums List! (Current: #11)
« Reply #212 on: August 27, 2015, 09:29:08 AM »
This is definitely on my list of things to get. Especially after seeing you put it this high.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #213 on: August 27, 2015, 09:31:27 AM »
you totally should, i nerd out over this album so hard, like seriously i charted the entire thing in guitar hero that's how much of a nerd i am lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #214 on: August 27, 2015, 03:56:12 PM »

#10: Haken - The Mountain

Haken has always been a band I liked, ever since I heard their demo release. They sounded a bit like DT, but they did more than enough to differentiate themselves from the masses; notably by being really strange at times. Aquarius furthered the sound of the demo, with a lot of wacky moments interspersed throughout a well-written progressive metal experience, and while I love that album, it didn't quite make the cut for this list. Visions, their follow-up, was... alright, but a bit generic, and I was a little disappointed in it. Not a bad album by any means, I still enjoy it and it's not like they wildly changed their sound, but not much stood out except the fantastic Deathless.

And then The Mountain came out. I was in love, immediately. This is basically them refining their sound even further to give us a really great album, front-to-back, and easily their most diverse. Not as heavy overall as their previous two, but only by a little. Far more powerful overall, I feel. I don't feel like doing a song-by-song, though. I'll talk about a few songs.

Cockroach King. Is silly, epic, glorious. God, I love this song. The a capella bits, the huge riffs, the frantic instrumentals, the organ that comes in later on. Brilliant.

Because It's There. Really great a capella intro. Very nice bass solo. Very calm song that builds up well as it goes on, the last section especially is so full and great.

Falling Back To Earth. The first half is good, frantic riffs, alright instrumental. But then the second half hits. Slow, calm bit. Band comes in, starts building up as the vocals get more intense. And it hits full peak, coming to an amazing climax, best part of the album for sure.

Somebody. Very emotional song, chorus is strong, vocals in general are good here. The "I wish I could've been somebody" part with the rhythm shifting every time he sings it is neat. The buildup near the end crashing into the quiet outro works really well.

I'm not doing this album justice but I feel like this is a pretty well-known album anyways, and if you haven't checked it out, and you're on this forum, you definitely need to.

Offline 425

Re: Parama's Accidental Top 50 Albums List! (Current: #10)
« Reply #215 on: August 27, 2015, 04:04:02 PM »
Great choice. This one is fantastic. It's just 2015, but this will almost certainly be considered one of the best prog albums of the decade.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #216 on: August 27, 2015, 04:07:13 PM »
A bit late but props for Panopticon. One of my all time favorites.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #217 on: August 27, 2015, 04:21:58 PM »
The Mountain is great.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #218 on: August 27, 2015, 05:16:11 PM »
The Haken is a fantastic album. I consider Pareidolia to be the highlight instead of FBTE though.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #219 on: August 27, 2015, 05:23:09 PM »
Yeah, fantastic record. Mountain will surely become prog's future.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #220 on: August 27, 2015, 05:48:14 PM »
I don't like The Mountain all that much, but TYS is a good one!

things i am super stoked about: seeing TYS with Coheed and Cursive in October, that's gonna be amazing
things i am not super stoked about: i still have 10 writeups to go and they'll probably all end up this long whoops  :lol

I saw them on tour together around a year ago and really enjoyed it. It was my second time seeing Coheed, and they weren't as good as the first time I saw them, in my opinion, but TYS was fantastic
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #221 on: August 27, 2015, 06:19:26 PM »
concert is like a week after coheed's new album drops so they'll probably play a lot from it so i hope it's a good album  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #222 on: August 27, 2015, 10:11:26 PM »

#9: Opeth - Ghost Reveries

Honestly, I've never been huge on Opeth. Can't get into My Arms or Still Life at all, I like some of Blackwater Park but not all of it and don't listen to it often, I really like Deliverance, and I like Damnation, but for me, Opeth has never been better than Ghost Reveries. The album sounds more diverse and generally just more interesting to my ears.

Ghost of Perdition is probably the most standard-sounding of the songs, but that doesn't make it anything less than fantastic. All the riffs here are great, the flow of the song is great, and there's just the right amount of heavy/light dynamic that makes it work. Baying of the Hounds has a cool groove to it in its heavier parts, and the softer parts are kinda jazzy and pleasant but dark. When the heavy riff kicks in after the quiet bit at the end... fantastic moment right there. Beneath the Mire starts out with a FANTASTIC groove and a cool doom-metal-esque riff following it. The way the song builds up a ton to its climax, first getting soft, then a bit louder, until it explodes near the end, works well. And the outro is sooo cool. Atonement is the first quieter track, though it's a lot more upbeat and bright than Opeth's lighter tracks tend to be, and has a cool jazzy solo near the end, too. Reverie is a brief interlude that's not really that noteworthy, but pleasant. Harlequin Forest is probably my single favorite Opeth song, it does so many things right, though it's kind of two songs at its core, but the faster tempo flows into the slower one pretty well. The groove is heavy in the more upbeat sections of the song, while the slower sections are more a build to the huge climax near the end. The quiet version of the riff right before the final "chorus" or whatnot is a cool way for the last bit to kick in there, and I love the outro here as well, it goes on juuuust long enough. Hours of Wealth is another quiet song, but this one is just plain somber. Very beautiful and haunting, emotional and chilling vocals on Akerfeldt's part and a great solo to close it off. The Grand Conjuration mostly focuses on reminding us that Opeth is really good at heavy stuff too, with some great darker soft verses just to keep things diverse. The way the outro riff builds and builds is again, really cool. This album does a thing with slightly repetitive but not overlong sections that I really like, evidently. Isolation Years is a brief melancholy closer, a little bright, a little sad, and a little beautiful, maybe not necessary as the album could've ended just fine with The Grand Conjuration, but ending on a soft note does feel in line with the rest of the album.

Maybe someday Opeth will click and I'll get into their earlier stuff more, but they've made an album that makes my top 10, so I definitely do like them on some level.

Offline 425

Re: Parama's Accidental Top 50 Albums List! (Current: #9)
« Reply #223 on: August 27, 2015, 10:22:38 PM »
Sounds like I'm like you with Opeth, but with different albums. I like some of their stuff, others I haven't really gotten into, and there's a little bit that I like a lot. For me, Ghost Reveries is either #3 or #4. Watershed is likely my favorite of the growls albums at #2 (which really kind of demonstrates what I listen to Opeth for, I guess), and Blackwater Park is also either #3 or #4. None of these, by the way, would rank nearly this high for me. Heritage is the one I really love and that one would have an outside chance of making top ten for me... So... I'm weird, yes.

But yeah, this is a good album. I agree with pretty much all of what you're saying about, just not as much :lol . Harlequin Forest is really awesome for sure.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #224 on: August 27, 2015, 10:29:16 PM »
I'm not the biggest Opeth fan, either. Ghost Reveries and Watershed are really the only two albums that I love. Blackwater Park is probably third, and I think it's good, but I don't like it anywhere near as much. The other albums haven't connected with me at all so far other than the odd song here or there.

Maps of Non-Existent Places - Pretty good album, I listened to it just the other day.

The Mountain - Even better. :metal

Offline 425

« Reply #225 on: August 27, 2015, 10:35:43 PM »
I think for us it was probably the keyboards. When it was just guitars, it worked for the vibe Mikael wanted, but the mood was just so barren, so unrelentingly bleak. The keyboards added some more texture and probably lightened things up a bit, made them not quite so despairing. And then we like BWP anyway because that album is just so well-written.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #226 on: August 27, 2015, 10:36:42 PM »
I think for us it was probably the keyboards. When it was just guitars, it worked for the vibe Mikael wanted, but the mood was just so barren, so unrelentingly bleak. The keyboards added some more texture and probably lightened things up a bit, made them not quite so despairing. And then we like BWP anyway because that album is just so well-written.
Yeah, I think that's spot on.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #227 on: August 27, 2015, 10:40:39 PM »
yes, keyboards in opeth are fantastically used, i love their presence here

pale communion has grown on me a little, also, i need to give that one more listens sometime
heritage is still really boring tho

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #228 on: August 28, 2015, 12:46:57 AM »
The Mountain is Haken's worst album. But that doesn't say a lot. Good choices here! While I'm more of a MAYH / Still Life / Blackwster Park kind of guy, I definitely understand why folks often thunk Ghost Reveries is their best.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #229 on: August 28, 2015, 02:59:32 AM »
The Mountain is love.

Ghost Reveries is also pretty cool.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #230 on: August 28, 2015, 03:37:23 AM »
Damn I really need to get into Opeth. A lot of people on the forum are praising them but I'm just too lazy to check them out.  :lol

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #231 on: August 28, 2015, 05:45:15 AM »
Ghost Reveries is also my favorite Opeth album and Harlequin Forest is probably my favorite tune (but that changes from day to day). I love most of their discography and Pale Communion is up there on #2 or #3. I understand people don't like Heritage, it's different, but PC feels like Ghost Reveries without growls IMO.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline 425

« Reply #232 on: August 28, 2015, 06:10:26 AM »
I really haven't gotten into PC that much. But I haven't listened to it that much.

That said, I absolutely adore Heritage and was kind of hoping for a Heritage Part 2, though I knew that wasn't going to happen.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #233 on: August 28, 2015, 09:17:38 AM »
I have a few Opeth albums but I've listened to most at least once. Love Ghost Reveries, Blackwater Park, Still Life, Watershed, still need to listen to more of the others.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #234 on: August 28, 2015, 09:19:25 AM »

#8: Mew - Frengers

Instead of the prog metal onslaught of the past few, here's some indie rock with a dreamy, bright sound.

Frengers is an interesting case because its inception basically guaranteed it would be quite enjoyable to anyone who likes the band, or the band's sound. Most of the tracks on the album are redone versions of tracks from their previous albums, and a few new ones were added in for good measure. The result is that all the returning tracks are very refined versions of tracks that were already good the first time.

I'm going to discuss the old tracks before I get to the new ones, then. Am I Wry? No is an upbeat, perfect opener for the album, with some fun drumming and guitar work going on. 156 goes through several different moods; downtempo verses, swingy prechorus, and rockin' chorus, and the three moods complement each other well, it's a pretty interesting listen. Symmetry is a piano-driven ballad with some great vocal work and good crescendos. Her Voice Is Beyond Her Years is a pretty short uptempo track with a slower-feeling chorus, it's a fun little jam basically. She Came Home For Christmas is definitely one of the highlights for me, very strong chorus and good buildup to it, plus the bridge before the final chorus is just soaring and wonderful. And Comforting Sounds... one of my favorite tracks of all time, probably the reason this is top 10 instead of somewhere in the top 20. Absolutely beautiful and wonderful in every way, I almost feel the second half is too short, I'd love it to go on forever.

The new tracks aren't any weaker, though. Snow Brigade especially, creates a very lush soundscape with a frantic feel to it, it's a very cool song, and the 7/4 bridge is a nice break from the energy of the rest of the track. Behind the Drapes is the only song on the album that I'm not a huge fan of, it's nice but it doesn't do anything too special, but it's not too long and I don't mind it at all. Eight Flew Over, One Was Destroyed is the darkest song on the album and probably the proggiest, its time signature changes quite a bit in the verses and bridge. I really like the chorus, it's very catchy, and the darker sound was probably a needed break from the brighter sound of most of the album. She Spider is a very uptempo rocker, a fun burst of energy that still manages plenty of quieter moments.

Overall this album is just a joy from front to back, and having a closer as good as Comforting Sounds is something that only happens once in a blue moon, I like both Mew albums on this list a ton but that song is probably the tipping point of why this album's up a lot higher than the other.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Parama's Accidental Top 50 Albums List! (Current: #8)
« Reply #235 on: August 28, 2015, 11:46:10 AM »
I like Frengers, but it's not as good as And the Glass Handed Kites or No More Stories IMO. It has some of Mew's best songs, but as a whole it lacks that flow and album feel.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #236 on: August 28, 2015, 11:54:46 AM »
I listened to No More Stories a few times and couldn't get into it, bleh

and I do agree that while it flows less as an album I tend to find myself liking the songs that much more than And The Glass Handed Kites (which is really consistent but doesn't have the peaks of this album)

Offline 425

« Reply #237 on: August 28, 2015, 12:34:45 PM »
So like you think I maybe should get this or something?
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #238 on: August 28, 2015, 12:54:34 PM »
you seemed to like She Came Home For Christmas a lot so I imagine you'll like the rest  :lol

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #239 on: August 28, 2015, 01:03:25 PM »
Never heard of it. ;D

Comforting Sounds is one of my favorite songs ever.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #240 on: August 28, 2015, 03:25:17 PM »

#7: Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane

Yeah, more Pain of Salvation. Surprise. This album is one of the band's most emotional and most powerful because of it; the concept is focused on love  and if I remember correctly some of it is based on real-life events (I know Rope Ends is for sure). It's a very personal story and the songs show off all sorts of emotions from it.

A Trace of Blood is about miscarriage, how it affects the parents and the struggles they have to deal with after. The deceptively bright piano lead gives way to a dark, heavy verse, that slowly builds and builds as we learn more about the situation, until it explodes in the first chorus. Then the instrumental section... another great buildup section, first some acoustic guitar, then some riffs, noises over the riff, a guitar solo that builds and builds and gets frantic by the end, right into the second chorus. God, I love this one.

Undertow is a fairly simple song, another song about buildup, getting more and more intense with each verse and with every moment of the bridge, one of the best vocal performances Gildenlow's ever given for sure. This song gets to me every time, it's just incredibly powerful.

Rope Ends is a necessarily dark song, dealing with suicide. There's several distinct sections; the faster verses, the slower chorus, and the strange instrumental. The verses have heavy chugging going on while the main story of the song is told. The chorus starts out with a kind of groove, and continues to a big 6/4 section that's almost as emotionally charged as Undertow. The instrumental provides a much-needed respite from the crushing darkness of the rest of the track, having a bit of groove to it during the second guitar solo, but it's not exactly the happiest sounding thing ever. And the final chorus goes on longer than the first two, bringing the song to a fitting end.

Beyond The Pale is the album closer, and it starts out very empty; guitar and vocals. It's the climax of all the ideas in the album, and not exactly a happy ending either. I really like the melody that plays a few times throughout the song that has a bit of an eastern vibe to it, and the heavy/soft chorus that happens a few times works well. The song also has a fake ending a few minutes before the end, before kicking back in with full force. And the guitar solo on this track is frantic and chaotic, which fits the mood really well. The ending is very quiet and dark, but with a sense of acceptance at the very least.

Having four tracks of this quality alone would be enough to get the album pretty high on the list even without the rest, but I like a lot of the other tracks a ton too. Of Two Beginnings is a very interesting opener, Ending Theme, is pretty straightforward, but I really like the spoken word section in the middle, gives me chills every time. Fandango is quirky and waltzy, but in a 5/4 time signature, it captures the atmosphere it goes for really well. This Heart of Mine is one of the few brighter spots of the album, but it's offset by Undertow immediately after, which even reprises the main melody of the former's chorus. Chain Sling is another interesting song with its clean guitar drive and high energy. Following are Dryad of the Woods, a very pretty instrumental, and Remedy Lane, a much darker instrumental. Waking Every God has a cool thing with being in 3/4 but having a 4/4 feel to it, not one of my favorites but it's okay. Second Love is another straightforward ballad, though not so happy in nature.

Front-to-back this album is quality music, with several songs that I rate really highly and the rest I enjoy quite a lot as well. When they were in their prime, Pain of Salvation were one of the greatest bands in the prog metal scene and it's albums like this that cement that in my mind.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 09:23:33 PM by Parama »

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Parama's Accidental Top 50 Albums List! (Current: #7)
« Reply #241 on: August 28, 2015, 03:34:08 PM »
Hell yeah, I love this album. Second Love is my favourite though, shame on you to pay it such a little attention in your writeup.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #242 on: August 28, 2015, 03:40:10 PM »
One of my favorites as well. I could listen to it every day, it's always enjoyable. Perfect blend of emotional and heavy progressive metal.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #243 on: August 28, 2015, 03:51:12 PM »
Some great prog metal albums there, Remedy Lane and, especially, Ghost Reveries  :tup

I like Opeth but always was more into Ghost Reveries instead of Still Life-Blackwater Park.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #244 on: August 28, 2015, 03:51:58 PM »
A Trace of Blood is also based on the miscarriage Gildenlöw's wife had with their first child. There's some more stuff in there as well, like Second Love being written when Gildenlöw was about 15, for his highschool sweetheart or something like that.

This album is utterly amazing and the special edition that includes the track Thorn Clown is even better. Very good choice, I love his one.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey