Author Topic: Parama's Accidental Top 50 Albums List! (Current: #1)  (Read 26971 times)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: Parama's Accidental Top 50 Albums List! (Current: #34)
« Reply #105 on: August 19, 2015, 09:16:49 PM »
Iter Impius, right? I'd say that's my favorite by a slim margin but I like a lot of the album and it's best experienced as a whole anyways.
And correct this travesty at once.
Yep, that's the one.

As for Devin, Addicted is the top of my list of his albums to listen to, again due to my roulette.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #106 on: August 19, 2015, 09:17:54 PM »
Iter Impius, right? I'd say that's my favorite by a slim margin but I like a lot of the album and it's best experienced as a whole anyways.
And correct this travesty at once.
Yep, that's the one.

As for Devin, Addicted is the top of my list of his albums to listen to. Again due to my roulette.
go for it, can't complain about Addicted, it'd probably be like, in the 60-70 range somewhere if I did a longer list and it's one of those super-consistent but doesn't set the bar too high records, I still like it a lot though

quick confession also: i somehow mentally switched #34 and #33 in my mind because they're really close so whatever the next album accidentally gained a spot by being basically on the same plane of "really good throughout and sets a pretty high standard to boot" albums OOPS

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #107 on: August 20, 2015, 12:36:27 AM »
Terria  :hefdaddy
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: August 20, 2015, 01:21:28 AM »
I love BE, though to be honest, I love Remedy Lane a lot more.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #109 on: August 20, 2015, 03:42:12 AM »
Terria is a middle of the pack Devin album for me, but still great to see it come up on the list. I'd put ZTO above it though.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #110 on: August 20, 2015, 04:41:49 AM »
Terria is a top 10 album.

By Devin

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #111 on: August 20, 2015, 08:18:42 AM »
y'all keep treating every album as if it's the highest an artist made it on my list and it's funny  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #112 on: August 20, 2015, 08:42:13 AM »

#33: Between the Buried and Me - The Great Misdirect

I like Colors, I really do, but this album just stands leagues above it for me. There's more melodic sections and less of the samey heavy riffs, so the heavier parts that are still here stand out more and are generally better to boot. The result is another incredibly consistent album that flaunts a larger variety than any other BTBAM album and with tons of highs to keep me coming back.

Mirrors is the best opener on any of their albums, no question. Obfuscation does a good job kicking things into gear and has a ton of great moments. I love the chorus, I love the bass groove/guitar solo bit in the middle, I love the guitar solo at the end, I like a lot. But even that pales in comparison to proooobably my favorite song of theirs (though it's close), Disease, Injury Madness. Everything here just works, the heavy riffs are great, the quieter bits are great, the bluesy instrumentals in the second half are great and the song flows surprisingly well for a track that goes as many places as this one. Fossil Genera follows, with a really great intro, one of my favorite moments of the album, and a four-minute lighter outro that's another favorite. Everything inbetween those two is still perfectly fine but the intro and outro overshadow the rest a little. Desert of Song is a nice break from the harder, more complex stuff up 'til now, and it's a nice little song that I've always enjoyed. Swim to the Moon, while probably my least favorite track on the album, does serve as a good closer; that chorus is stellar, and it does a good thing epics should do more: sound like one song. I think having the chorus is what ties it all together, really. The instrumental break in the middle of the song is pretty cool too, if maybe a biiit too long.

It's a shame that none of the band's releases since The Great Misdirect have really lived up to its quality for me, I've tried hard to get into them since I do like this band a lot, but I never got Future Sequence to click and Coma Ecliptic seems to be going the same route for me, I don't know what it is about them, bleh. Still, they've made two great albums that I can return to and enjoy.

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
Re: Parama's Accidental Top 50 Albums List! (Current: #33)
« Reply #113 on: August 20, 2015, 11:29:36 AM »
I can never and might never get tired of this album.
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline Ruba

« Reply #114 on: August 20, 2015, 02:08:33 PM »
Nice one. I really like Fossil Genera, might as well be their best song.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #115 on: August 20, 2015, 04:07:06 PM »

#32: Dream Theater - Scenes From A Memory

Who is this band, I've never heard of them.

SFAM has always been one of my favorite DT albums, though. Aside from Through Her Eyes which I am utterly sick of, everything here is great and the concept mixes well with the music, it's present throughout all the songs but doesn't overwhelm the music at any point. As well, everything's nice and diverse. Overture 1928 is a cool instrumental that kicks off the album well, Strange Deja Vu is a nice more straightforward rocker, Fatal Tragedy is darker and heavier with one of my favorite DT instrumental sections at the end, Beyond This Life is frantic and rockin' with a really good instrumental built off probably my favorite riff of the album, Through Her Eyes sucks, Home has that crushingly heavy riff and a good reprise of Metropolis' chorus among other cool things like its intro, The Dance of Eternity is basically as good as you're ever going to make a laughably proggy instrumental sound, One Last Time serves as a nice climax to the story, The Spirit Carries On is a great power ballad, and Finally Free wraps up everything nicely while also being the best song of the album. I've talked about most of these songs already a ton when I did my DT top 50 a year or two ago, so the short version is that it's generally a really consistent and great album that shows off the side of DT I like seeing the most.

Offline 425

Re: Parama's Accidental Top 50 Albums List! (Current: #32)
« Reply #116 on: August 20, 2015, 05:15:35 PM »
This is not my favorite DT, probably not even in my top 3, but it's become my go-to DT album (for when I want to listen to non-specific Dream Theater). Very good top to bottom.

I think One Last Time is one of the most overlooked songs in the band's discography.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #117 on: August 20, 2015, 05:40:53 PM »
Through Her Eyes is amazing though.  :'(
My second favourite DT album. It's just killer from start to finish. TDOE is like the only song I'm not so keen on.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: August 20, 2015, 05:48:44 PM »
I think One Last Time is one of the most overlooked songs in the band's discography.
QFT

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #119 on: August 20, 2015, 05:59:54 PM »
yeah it's really a pretty great song that doesn't get enough love

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #120 on: August 20, 2015, 06:21:38 PM »
De-Loused is a masterpiece. Good call. :tup

Terria is also really awesome. Not everything Devin has done really appeals to me, but Terria is where he's mastered the perfect balance between crushing density and actual beauty in the form of sound.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: August 20, 2015, 07:02:48 PM »
great album

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #123 on: August 21, 2015, 12:11:31 AM »

#31: Leprous - The Congregation

This is the newest entry onto the list, to a point where I have this album sitting just to the left of me on my desk right now. Maybe it still has a bit of newness putting it up this high, but I don't imagine it'd sink much lower than this spot a year from now, if at all. I was instantly drawn to its unique and interesting style, there's a lot of dissonance and emphasis on rhythms, much more so than traditional progressive metal. It's closer to djent in some of its guitar lines, but the sound isn't remotely similar. The album also does quite a lot with its sounds, from upbeat rockers like The Price, Within My Fence, and Down to slower grooves like The Flood, Slave and Moon, to more musically complex tracks like Third Law, Rewind, and Red.

If I had to take a knock at the album, I would say Within My Fence feels a bit unnecessary, it's definitely the weak point of the album for me, but it's the shortest track and it's far from awful. Other than that I can definitely say I enjoy every track on this album a lot, though. It's hard to point out highlights since it's all good stuff, but I'd say I like Rewind, The Flood, Slave, and Moon sliiightly more than the rest, though The Price and Triumphant don't trail very far behind at all. I'm definitely going to properly check out older stuff from this band, knowing full well that it's all different from this album, but I don't know if I'm going to find anything that tops this one, at least for me.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Parama's Accidental Top 50 Albums List! (Current: #31)
« Reply #124 on: August 21, 2015, 12:12:44 AM »
i will also say that one of the albums i recently got is already on the fast track to being in my top 20, but won't be appearing on this list because i set it in stone when i started, oops  :lol
i imagine another one of the ones I ordered is gonna be one I enjoy quite a lot, too

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #125 on: August 21, 2015, 01:00:50 AM »
Great Misdirect  :hefdaddy
SFAM  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
I'm no Leprous fan, but I enjoy a couple of tracks from that album so  :tup

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #126 on: August 21, 2015, 08:42:01 AM »

#30/#29: Protest the Hero - Scurrilous and Kezia

I feel like just doing these at the same time else I'd be talking about the same band twice in a day, so hey why not. And I can't really decide which of these albums I like more, honestly. I have Kezia as just above Scurrilous for being a bit more epic in sound, mostly, but it could easily be the other way.

Both albums are packed full of technical playing and energy, but both go in different directions with it. Kezia has a more punk rock sound and energy to it, while Scurrilous is more prog metal. Kezia is a concept album and a concept I quite like, and having the story makes the tracks more interesting to listen to; I mean, for one, that clapping section in Blindfolds Aside doesn't have as much meaning if you don't have the context for it. Scurrilous' songs are self-contained laments about a lot of society's problems, but they don't come off as preachy and the lyrics really make them work well.

And the music on both albums is fantastic, there's that too. The entire second half of Kezia easily wipes the floor with Scurrilous on its own, but the songs in the first half that I don't like quiiiite as much (though really aside from Nautical I think they're all great songs, and Nautical isn't an awful song by any means either) do drag it down a little bit. Scurrilous is pretty consistent from front to back and I like all ten songs quite a bit, though if I had to pick favorites I'd say C'est La Vie, Moonlight, Dunsel, Termites, Tongue Splitter, and Sex Tapes... which is 60% of the album, yeah, woops. They had a really good sound on this album and while I can see why some people might consider it a bit samey I think each of the songs stands out plenty from the rest.

Considering they have two albums that I adore, and two others that I still think are pretty good, I'm definitely looking forward to hearing more from this band.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Parama's Accidental Top 50 Albums List! (Current: #30/#29)
« Reply #127 on: August 21, 2015, 08:45:10 AM »
I definitely think Fortress and Volition are the two best PtH albums, while my feelings for Scurrilous/Kezia are a bit more to the "good but not great"-side, but it's still a solid pick.  :tup

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #128 on: August 21, 2015, 08:48:57 AM »
If SFAM is only #32, I think we're in for a treat here.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #129 on: August 21, 2015, 05:33:37 PM »

#28: Devin Townsend Project - Deconstruction

Help, I just can't stop putting Devin on my list. Probably because he's got so much music and so much of it is fantastic. Take for example, Deconstruction. It's loud, it's heavy, and it's glorious. Every song here is great, some of them rank among my favorites in Devin's entire discography. This is easily the most complex and technical of all the albums Devin's put off, but it's put towards the right things; namely, writing tons of great riffs and hooks, writing songs that have lots to them but flow well along the way.

Not all the songs are massive epics, though; Praise the Lowered and Juular are two early, simple tracks, and both serve their purposes well; Praise the Lowered is a warmup to the album, a light track the builds to a crushing riff by the end, and Juular is a burst of energy after the two slower songs before, loud and in your face. Pandemic and Poltergeist are two shorter songs towards the end of the album, and both are great heavy tracks, but probably among my least favorite from the album - which is to say, good but not great. And Sumeria, directly in the center of the album, is just wonderful. This is the heavy I want to hear. This is a glorious wall of sound and a tightly-written track that never loses its momentum. The way the song cuts from loud to soft near the end also works surprisingly well and makes a great transition to the next track.

And then we have to talk about the longer tracks. Stand is one long big buildup with a pounding beat throughout the entire song, and it takes its time but doesn't ever feel overlong, I can't help but love this one the most of the entire album, honestly. Planet of the Apes has a bit of a clumsy start but builds into a chaotic mess that's just pure pleasure. If Stand is my favorite song on the album, the last third or so of Planet of the Apes is my favorite segment, no contest. The Mighty Masturbator is the epic of the album, the longest track on any of Devin's albums too I think, and it's... well, it suffers in the same way Anesthetize does for me, in that a lot of the sections don't really flow well between each other, but all the sections here are great on their own. And Deconstruction is about as disorganized of a song as I'll ever here, but it works, somehow. It hates revisiting any past ideas and there's so much jam-packed into under 10 minutes it's baffling it does work so well, but none of the transitions are too rough and all the different ideas are great.

If I would complain a little, I think Devin's humor does miss the mark here for me. I could do without the farting, thank you. It's a bit of a stain on an otherwise fantastic album, and yeah the humor is probably what knocks this down from being in or near the top 20 to barely top 30, I can't really get past that easily. But aside from that? One of the best albums Devin's ever put out.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Parama's Accidental Top 50 Albums List! (Current: #28)
« Reply #130 on: August 21, 2015, 11:55:15 PM »
no devin love tonight, okay, gonna do one more real quick

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Parama's Accidental Top 50 Albums List! (Current: #28)
« Reply #131 on: August 22, 2015, 12:04:21 AM »

#27: Oceansize - Effloresce

Oceansize's debut was probably their most post-rock influenced album, and it's all the better for it. There's still tons of all the elements that make the band both enjoyable and varied present on this album, though it's a bit rougher around the edges than their later works. It's a much more pleasant listen than Everyone Into Position is for me though, and a really strong album overall.

The first two tracks, I Am The Morning (there's apparently a band named this now, who knew) and Catalyst flow into each other, but are pretty different; Morning is a post-rock instrumental piece with some great buildup that serves as an excellent way to start the album. Catalyst is more of a rocker, with tons of cool riffs and leads. There's very pretty quiet verses too, and a great groove of an instrumental at the tail end of the track. Other songs in the first half that really stand out to me are You Wish and Amputee, two more pretty straightforward, full-sounding rockers. Remember Where You Are is the first song of the Oceansize discography to suffer from the seventh song curse, and while it's better than No Tomorrow, I've never liked the chorus and the song doesn't do a whole lot for me outside of the excellent bridge. The two interlude tracks, Unravel and Rinsed, nicely divide the album into its three pretty distinct parts; the spacey first third, the straightforward middle third, and the post-rock last third. And the last three tracks are a near-flawless almost-half-hour block of music, with the lighter and atmospheric Women Who Love Men Who Love Drugs, the heavier and darker Saturday Morning Breakfast Show, and the somber and beautiful Long Forgotten all strong in their own regards, and especially enjoyable when listened to in succession. As with most Oceansize closers, Long Forgotten is my favorite track, the buildup in the outro is god-tier quality especially.

And yet, this still isn't my favorite Oceansize release, but it's a really damn strong debut and the ideas this album brings to the table would be better refined by their later releases.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Parama's Accidental Top 50 Albums List! (Current: #27)
« Reply #132 on: August 22, 2015, 12:18:38 AM »
I like this album a bit ;D

Offline mikemangioy

« Reply #133 on: August 22, 2015, 01:27:35 AM »
Decon is great stuff. Took me a while to appreciate of course, but the payoff was incredible.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #134 on: August 22, 2015, 02:23:04 AM »
Deconstruction is my favourite Devin album. The only track I used to dislike is Stand and it grew on me a lot lately so it's killer from start to finish.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #135 on: August 22, 2015, 06:37:23 AM »
Effloresce  :heart

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #136 on: August 22, 2015, 09:36:27 AM »

#26: Dream Theater - Images and Words

Sweet jiminy christ what the hell is a dream theatre?

Well uh, yeah, I imagine people are wondering why this isn't higher.
Answer: I have a ton of albums I like more, apparently! Images and Words is a great album. An instant classic. Pull Me Under is their only hit. Take The Time is one of their best songs. Metropolis is an almost universally loved fan favorite. Learning to Live is one of the highest regarded by many, though not quite by me (still good though!) And aside from that, Another Day, Surrounded, Under a Glass Moon, and Wait for Sleep are all good songs in their own right, I think the only song from this album that didn't end up somewhere in my top 50 was Wait for Sleep.

So yeah, I like this album, a lot. I don't see a need to harp on it, considering the site we're on... it's just that everything left I like more. All 25 of 'em. And this isn't even my favorite DT anyways (you know what is, already, I know you know.)

Offline mikemangioy

Re: Parama's Accidental Top 50 Albums List! (Current: #26)
« Reply #137 on: August 22, 2015, 01:16:32 PM »
I&W is a great classic, but I seem to enjoy lots of DT albums more. Still, nice, classy and kind of clichè choice  :biggrin:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #138 on: August 22, 2015, 01:19:18 PM »
difference between cliche and honest, but ok

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: August 22, 2015, 02:45:48 PM »
I've been meaning to check this band, but after listing to a part of a tune (I think it was Surrounded), it felt like fucking 80s. Ew.