Author Topic: Evermind's Third Roulette v. Final Round Results  (Read 69548 times)

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Who's Ted Leonard?

For you, nevermind.  :biggrin:  You'd likely hate anything he sings on, and I don't want to have to karate chop you in the nuts the first time we meet.

And yeah... what Gregg said.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
TAC doesn't know what Google is and can't Google Google to find out what Google is

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm at work right now, but I'm fairly sure I know the winner. I'll do one last listen on my evening commute and post the results in ~9-10 hours.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Congrats Pup!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• DTF.org Member
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Well here we finally go:

Final Round Results:

TAC: Dark the Suns - Life Eternal

This album has left a very strong first impression on me, and after five listens, it's still pretty strong, but the novelty has kind of worn off by now. It feels like a lesser Amorphis at parts with maybe a little touch of Insomnium too, especially when they do whispering vocals. A lot of songs have the same structure and the same monotone growls—which are indeed easy on the ears though. The instrumental melodies are strong throughout the album. I like how the keys are prominent in almost every song, and I love several guitar solos on this album—the one in Sleepless Angels is probably the highlight of the record for me. Another positive thing for an album which, in my opinion, is a bit repetitive, is that it's fairly short and doesn't overstay its welcome at all: the longest song is under 6 minutes and there are only 10 songs overall.

I really enjoyed some of the vocal variations—the whispers I mentioned before and also the female vocals in Walking with an Angel and Don't Fear the Sleep; but then they kind of sucked in The Dead End. Overall, this record is fairly good and easy to listen to, with the bonus of good keyboard/guitar melodies, it almost feels like this is going to be a symphonic metal at times and the strings will kick in when the growls kick in instead. I didn't mind this at all, in fact I quite liked it, I think this is a fine album, but in the end it lacked something to make it a bit more special, and unfortunately for you, in the end this was the decisive factor for me in this round.

7.5/10 (closer to 7.25 but whatever)

Puppies: Comedy of Errors - Fanfare and Fantasy

Absolutely didn't know what to expect from the band called Comedy of Errors, turns out it's a fairly enjoyable neo progressive rock in the vein of Marillion and Galahad. This album is a big longer than Life Eternal, but thankfully there's more variety to spice the listen up. While I was saying growls don't matter much to me now, I can't help but think this record benefitted a lot from having clean vocals—probably because I'm just a bit too jaded with all the growls I received in this roulette. This roulette overall had a disappointing lack of progressive rock, especially in the later rounds.

Best thing about the clean vocals here is that I could sing along with them, mostly because a lot of the melodies are predictable and at least somewhat catchy ("there's got to be a reason... FOR THE CAUSE!" takes the cake). There also were a lot of great melodic moments like the main guitar melody/piano run in Fanfare for the Broken Hearted which made that song a bit more special. That one, The Cause, Something She Said and The Answer are my favourite pieces on the record, and all these four songs are still fresh to my ears, and as they alone amount to 36 minutes of music, this album hasn't bored me yet after all the extensive listening. Of course, there are duds: I don't really care about Time's Motet and Galliard with its traditional music melodies, and I'm not sure I'm fully on board with Going for a Song yet, although this may change with some further listens.

While I think Tim's album is way more straightforward and punchy, this one ended up to be more enjoyable in the long term. And hey, I guess I missed some prog rock in my life. I don't think this will end up being as good as The Reticent, but I think it's close. Closer than Life Eternal, at least.

8/10 (closer to 7.75 but whatever)

Congrats Pup!!

Winner: Puppies_On_Acid

Tim: I swear this is in no way connected to your roulette. :lol

Thank you everyone for sticking with this thread for this long (definitely took me longer than I thought it would to finish this). I will be checking out a lot of bands you guys sent me after a few weeks, and I may create a separate thread for that so I don't end up constantly bumping this thread. Now I'm just glad I'm finally finished this so I can listen to some other music too (Winter Ethereal here I come). This roulette took far more time to do than I expected for some reason.

Thank you everyone for playing!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

:lol

Oh sure! :lol

No worries!

I was really struggling for this final round. Even though I was in second place for most of the roulette, I never really felt comfortable with my choices.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Evermind's Third Roulette v. Final Round Results
« Reply #1584 on: May 14, 2019, 11:08:52 AM »
I mean if you didn't get blocked and sent The Circus of the Tattered and Torn and On the Eve of a Goodbye, you probably would've won 2:0 easily.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1585 on: May 14, 2019, 11:14:30 AM »
I was really concerned about sending any harsh vocals. You highlighted them quite a bit in your recent Top 50, but I never really clicked with you on any.

I'd never heard of Comedy Of Errors, but I struggled to find clean vocals that combined music that stood out. I was banking on Structural Disorder getting through. That's a great album. Same with Lor. The Dark The Sun album is awesome, and I thought it had a chance, but as soon as I checked out Comedy Of errors, I knew I was dead.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1586 on: May 14, 2019, 11:20:07 AM »
congrats pupdog!!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1587 on: May 14, 2019, 03:13:12 PM »
Woohoo! I finally won one of these!

That was a fun roulette. Thanks for having me Evermind. Glad I didn't ragequit when I had Enslaved stolen out from under me  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1588 on: May 14, 2019, 03:19:28 PM »
Woohoo! I finally won one of these!

That was a fun roulette. Thanks for having me Evermind. Glad I didn't ragequit when I had Enslaved stolen out from under me  :biggrin:

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.