Author Topic: The explosion in China and (Beirut)....  (Read 5940 times)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: The explosion in China and (Beirut)....
« Reply #70 on: August 06, 2020, 04:02:58 PM »
Kinda weird that this explosion happened just 2 days shy of the Hiroshima bombing anniversary (75 years ago today).  Not saying Beirut was deliberate, but the timing is kinda eerie.  I don't think they can rule anything out at this point.  But all that AN was stored next to an industrial grade fireworks warehouse?  With a blast that big, how can they determine which was ignited first?  Seems real suspicious to me.

The fireworks ignited first. Here's a good breakdown of it all...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnSr820S2Mk

So wharehouse full of ammonium Nitrate next to fireworks factory next to 80% of the countries emergency grain food storage. Really not the best city planning I'd say, I mean I'm far from an expert but damn.

Yeah, and that would raise even more suspicion.  Anyone could've sabotaged the fireworks factory.  Nothing but a chain reaction from that point on.  :facepalm:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: August 06, 2020, 05:58:50 PM »
I'm not sure if there's a point in there directed at me or not. In any case, I looked for the increase in yield the racing fuel added and didn't find it, so that's good information (and significant). It's worth noting, though, that McVeigh also used aluminum siding along five sides of this truck to better direct the blast, hence the damage being so unilateral. I've also read that he may have been able to boost his ANFO with flaked aluminum, which makes it both easier to detonate and increases the blast yield.

It wasn't so much directed at you than it was directly supplementing the information you provided. :) And you are correct about aluminium, that also works as a fuel increasing both detonation velocity and heat production.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammonal

That said, we are when it comes to yield, we are talking about a factor of 2 or 3 at best. Pure AN is, as demonstrated. deadly enough by itself.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2020, 09:26:10 AM »
Curious question for the smarter people...

So the building right next to the explosion, the one filled with grain stores, I was amazed it wasn't completely flattened by the blast since everything else in the near radius was. Would being filled with grain be the reason it stood ground so to speak?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2020, 11:09:19 AM »

So the building right next to the explosion, the one filled with grain stores, I was amazed it wasn't completely flattened by the blast since everything else in the near radius was. Would being filled with grain be the reason it stood ground so to speak?
I think it's as simple as being made of a shit-ton of reinforced concrete. Consider that this building was ground zero (literally) at Hiroshima. It's really hard to wreck a good concrete building. That's why you either blow out the supports and let gravity pull it down, or spend weeks slowly hammering away with a wrecking ball.

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2020, 04:40:34 PM »
Some new footage: https://youtu.be/F-vGkIKxGAg

That shockwave!  :omg:
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #75 on: August 11, 2020, 11:23:03 AM »
Damn!!   :eek :eek :eek
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #76 on: August 11, 2020, 11:30:01 AM »
Holy shit.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2020, 02:35:54 PM »

Grain dust also has a tendency to explode so I imagine its reinforced for that reason.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2020, 10:33:03 AM »
A guy whose channel I follow for other reasons posted a great short video of what it is like living there right now, and gets into a lot of great detail about the human cost on the ground in the latter half of the video.  The first 3 minutes or so is about various theories, some perhaps a bit out there, and some fairly realistic, that are better saved for the P/R section.  But there is a lot of good stuff in there just to help those of us outside that country understand what is going on in the lives of those there, and how we can help, if so inclined.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFz4a-IRl4s

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."