Author Topic: 5 years later, was Portnoy right?  (Read 99721 times)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: 5 years later, was Portnoy right?
« Reply #595 on: November 17, 2015, 12:46:58 PM »
I do know A7X's fanbase skyrocketed after Nightmare, but I'm not sure how much that had to do with Mike Portnoy, on the other hand, when I started listening to DT, I had no idea Portnoy was their original drummer, so for me personally it didn't matter, but I can imagine some people gave DT a try after seeing Portnoy play with A7X.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #596 on: November 17, 2015, 01:58:33 PM »
A7X and DT were my first two introductions to real metal stuff (a few years pre-MP, though), so I really don't think it would be that big a leap for A7X fans to get into DT if any sort of impetus to do so was provided. Anyone who appreciates City of Evil would probably also like ToT and SC, right off the bat.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #597 on: December 04, 2015, 10:49:59 PM »
So, here's a thought I had.

Remember when Mike Portnoy told us all that under his watch, DT11 would be a concept album, and the DT11 tour would consist of the entire concept album in the first set and the entire 12SS in the second set?

I prefer this history to that alternate one.  I pick The Astonishing over Conceptual DT11.  I don't see that version of the band being so energized and excited about a concept as they apparently are now.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #598 on: December 04, 2015, 11:14:07 PM »
It seems kinda pointless to me to try to compare something that exists to something that doesn't and never will (and given we haven't even heard TA with the exception of 4 whole minutes out of 120+)

But I'll take SFAM over both. ;)
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #599 on: December 05, 2015, 12:31:43 AM »
I mean, fair enough, although every page of this thread is comparing something that exists to something that doesn't and never will.  And so is MP's comment about what his version of DT11 would be.  :lol

But I'll take SFAM over both. ;)

Also true.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #600 on: December 05, 2015, 12:54:53 AM »
I mean, fair enough, although every page of this thread is comparing something that exists to something that doesn't and never will.  And so is MP's comment about what his version of DT11 would be.  :lol

I don't think that was really a comparison though, just what was likely to happen under different circumstances. He wasn't dissecting and comparing a real album to a hypothetical one. :lol

I'm surprised we haven't already got a TA vs SFAM poll. You're letting me down, DTF! :neverusethis:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline borzo

« Reply #601 on: December 05, 2015, 01:41:34 AM »
I like, overall, a Dramatic turn of events, and I don't like the self titled album.
Nevertheless I really think Portnoy was kind of right, not because his creative input was necessary (it wasn't) or because I like the heavier way he alway pursued (I don't), but because you can't do this much music every two years and keep the quality and the freshness at the standards you have had.

I would like less album, more prog sound (instead of heavy metal riffs), and new sounds. I want from them something that blows my mind, and there is nothing so far that blows my mind since Portnoy left.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #602 on: December 05, 2015, 02:01:17 AM »
I would like less album, more prog sound (instead of heavy metal riffs), and new sounds. I want from them something that blows my mind, and there is nothing so far that blows my mind since Portnoy left.

Good point. And I am tempted to feel the same. However (and this is a big one), nothing has blown me away ever since Octavarium, which means 3 albums with MP. I think they are long past their heyday and no album will be as good as their best ones (even if the notion of best is purely subjective), and that does not depend on who is behind the drum kit.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #603 on: December 06, 2015, 09:31:43 AM »
I still think MP could have delegated responsibilities. Not sure why he felt that if he didn't do it, then it was going to be wrong. But JLB's and MP's relationship was definitely strained and here is where I think a break and sorting issues would have helped (not a 5 yr hiatus though).
Good points - honestly, I wish he would've delegated some of those responsibilities. The funny thing is, with the million different bands he's been involved with since then, he hasn't taken on a similar role in any of them. I wonder why - did he learn from his DT experience or is there another reason. Definitely something I hope to ask him next time I see him (which probably won't be for some time).

Exactly! I think he was burned out and lesson learned.

I don't know the answer to this which is why I'm asking. Has he kept up the pace keeping fans updated as much as he used to before he left?  (To me it doesn't appear that he is, but I'm not on facebook or twitter so that may be the road it's all going down now.)

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #604 on: December 06, 2015, 08:57:00 PM »
I don't know the answer to this which is why I'm asking. Has he kept up the pace keeping fans updated as much as he used to before he left?  (To me it doesn't appear that he is, but I'm not on facebook or twitter so that may be the road it's all going down now.)
Overall, I'd say yes, and yes most of it is on FB and Twitter. I don't have a Twitter account, but you can follow what he posts on it here:
https://www.mikeportnoy.com/aboutmike/mptweets.aspx

Pretty sure everything he posts on Twitter he also posts on FB, altho he might include more info, given that FB doesn't have the text restrictions that Twitter does.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.