Author Topic: Worst song to introduce someone to DT  (Read 8200 times)

Offline RandalGraves

Re: Worst song to introduce someone to DT
« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2015, 12:21:46 PM »
Erotomania.

This actually was my first DT song, and I loved it!

To answer the thread, I'd go with pretty much any ballad. Not their strong suit, as much as I like a few of 'em.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #71 on: September 14, 2015, 07:37:50 PM »
Your Majesty
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline matthewmatt

• the resident reactionary recalcitrant
  • Our pizza travelled far
« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2015, 03:28:41 AM »
Space-Dye Vest, definitely. It's just too weird for a newbie. Heck, 40 % of the time it's too weird for me.
"They want to qualify their boys for jobs in the modern world. You can hardly blame them, can you?"
"Oh yes," said Scott-King. "I can and do." [...]
"If you approve, headmaster, I will stay as I am here as long as any boy wants to read the classics. I think it would be very wicked indeed to do anything to fit a boy for the modern world."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2015, 04:16:32 AM »
I don't see why so many people wouldn't introduce someone to DT with a ballad. Sure, it's not super technical, but if the person listens to similar music already, wouldn't it be best to start with something similar to what they already like? At least they'd like some DT songs rather than be put off because whatever they heard first was too technical, or heavy, or whatever else. I know people who'd probably love IWBY, These Walls and the other more mainstream songs but probably would hate Metropolis.
For me, I wouldn't use a ballad simply because, while within their wheelhouse, it is not what they are known for, or what they are best at.  I would want to introduce someone to Dream Theater, so I would use a song more indicative of what DT is, which the ballads don't really do, and could even set up a false sense of what kind of music DT actually makes.

I also wouldn't use More Than Words to introduce someone to Extreme.  Is it good?  Sure.  Is it really representative of Extreme's music?  No.

Another thing I've done for myself is cut certain sections out...for example the sex part of Home, the ambient section of IT, the ending of Misunderstood, etc. So, with some audio editing even the longer songs could make great introductions too. The key is to find something that might connect with the person, musically or lyrically...
Then you're not introducing anyone to DT.  You are introducing them to your remix of DT.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline progrockman

« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2015, 05:44:07 AM »
The test that stumped them all.
Because of the scrotum pinched high verses

Offline pcs90

« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2015, 09:52:08 PM »
For me, I wouldn't use a ballad simply because, while within their wheelhouse, it is not what they are known for, or what they are best at.  I would want to introduce someone to Dream Theater, so I would use a song more indicative of what DT is, which the ballads don't really do, and could even set up a false sense of what kind of music DT actually makes.

Then you're not introducing anyone to DT.  You are introducing them to your remix of DT.

Yeah, I mean if I was going to use a ballad, or one of their more pop-oriented songs, I'd tell them right away that this isn't what most of their music sounds like. I still think it's better if someone likes some DT than none though, but that's just me.

As far as the song edits, is deleting some jungle sounds out of IT, or shortening the ending of Misunderstood really a remix? Those are certainly not things DT is known for either. Wasn't that part of the reason the Greatest Hit compilation was created? Many of the songs on there have been shortened (some too much IMO, but still). I've shortened several songs for my own listening just because I skip certain parts anyway, and again those sections are ones a new listener could easily be turned off by, so I see no problem. But we may just look at it differently!

Offline Enalya

« Reply #76 on: September 20, 2015, 09:49:50 AM »
ANTR is probably a bad song to introduce people with though for real 'cause of the awful solo section and ROOOAAARR and it being 16 minutes doesn't help either

It's funny, since this is the first song I ever heard from DT and loved it so much. I didn't even listen to progressive (metal) before. But this wouldn't be the song it'd let people hear first indeed : p

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2015, 07:05:18 PM »
Mike Thinks He's Dee Dee Ramone Introducing a Song Song
:lol I'm About to Faint Song is even worse, though

I think The Dark Eternal Night would be a bad first example of what DT is really capable of, mainly because of the vocals.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 07:30:57 PM by LCArenas »