Author Topic: Worst song to introduce someone to DT  (Read 8225 times)

Offline Darkstarshades

Worst song to introduce someone to DT
« on: August 12, 2015, 10:10:10 AM »
You read it.
Not counting epics, because they're usually a matter of general opinion. Myself, for example, always gravitate towards a band's very long songs and they're usually what I search first when I discover a band.

I'd say it's probably Repentance. I can't imagine anyone's look at a 10+ minute song Like this.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: Worst song to introduce someone to DT
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 10:20:36 AM »
First thing to pop into my mind is Dance of Eternity, also, some of the really inaccesible songs for me at first were Scarred/Voices, Finally Free and Metropolis are also worth mentioning.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 10:22:52 AM »
First thing to pop into my mind is Dance of Eternity, also, some of the really inaccesible songs for me at first were Scarred/Voices, Finally Free and Metropolis are also worth mentioning.

WHAT??

Those are probably some of the best songs that encapsulate what DT is all about.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 10:26:44 AM »
Well, I actually agree with Train, Scarred is indeed extremely innaccessible and is more a test of patience than encapsulating what DT is about.
It's the only song from Awake that hasn't clicked me so far, I also thought of it, but eventually Repentance won out.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 10:28:03 AM »
Yeah, they're all great showcases of Dream Theater's style, it doesn't make them good introductions.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Zyzzyva17

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 10:53:40 AM »
Mike Thinks He's Dee Dee Ramone Introducing a Song Song
D - D/F# - G - D - Bm - Bm/A - E/G# - A

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 10:55:14 AM »
The Dark Eternal Night, because it ranks highly in the rankings of those who are more in favour of the metal side of DT. I am aware of people (metalheads)who have a casual interest in DT on the basis of this song. Obviously nothing wrong with that but I'd consider it a poor choice of song to introduce the band to somebody as it isn't really represent their overall style and they haven't really made any other song quite like it.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 11:20:01 AM »
Anything from WDADU, Enigma Machine, Repentance and most of the most complicated songs are maybe not the best choice.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline mrrct

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 12:45:45 PM »
Anna Lee.  If somebody hears that as their first exposure to DT, that person will think that they are a late-eighties adult contemporary, VH1 band.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 12:51:36 PM »
Anything from the debut.

Anything from SDOIT disc 2.. imagine introducing someone to DT with TTTSTA. Flurry of notes right from the start, not good.

This is the Life or one of their other recent sappy ballads.

Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 12:58:50 PM »
Through My Words

Offline 425

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 01:01:04 PM »
"That's it? Man, this band makes such short songs."
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2015, 01:02:42 PM »
Regression

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 01:13:21 PM »
Just Let Me Breathe because this is one of the first songs my friend played for me and I wouldn't get into DT for another few years when I finally heard good songs. 

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2015, 01:15:22 PM »
ANTR is probably a bad song to introduce people with though for real 'cause of the awful solo section and ROOOAAARR and it being 16 minutes doesn't help either

Offline 425

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2015, 01:17:21 PM »
and it's not about TGP it's about one of my top 5 DT songs

What about one of my top... 8 DT songs?
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline jjfumbly

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2015, 01:45:07 PM »
Vacant, Wait for Sleep, Far From Heaven, Regression, The Silent Man and False Awakening Suite.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2015, 01:53:57 PM »
you're in the wrong thread now, 425

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2015, 01:55:48 PM »
Vacant, Wait for Sleep, Far From Heaven, Regression, The Silent Man and False Awakening Suite.
I actually used FAS once to introduce someone to DT, worked out great.  :D

Offline 425

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2015, 02:01:29 PM »
you're in the wrong thread now, 425

Posts can have consequences that are bigger than any one thread.

I actually used FAS once to introduce someone to DT, worked out great.  :D

I used FAS once to introduce someone to Symphony X. Was I not supposed to do that?  :P
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2015, 02:02:55 PM »
Home because of the moaning... explaining that it's "just part of the concept" most likely wouldn't help! :lol

Seriously though, You Not Me probably is the most obvious answer.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2015, 02:17:15 PM »

WHAT??

Those are probably some of the best songs that encapsulate what DT is all about.
This, especially Metropolis.  In fact, that is probably the best one to use.

Worst?  The Answer Lies Within
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2015, 03:42:50 PM »
The worst song to introduce someone to DT with would have to be YNM.... that song incapsulates the worst of the record company influence. Though the album does grow on you, I'd say that most songs off of FII would be a bad beginning.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2015, 03:50:43 PM »

WHAT??

This, especially Metropolis.  In fact, that is probably the best one to use.

Worst?  The Answer Lies Within

Metropolis was my intro to Dream Theater. It blew my mind because I have never heard anythong like it before.

Offline Shine

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2015, 04:09:40 PM »
The Dark Eternal Night, because it ranks highly in the rankings of those who are more in favour of the metal side of DT. I am aware of people (metalheads)who have a casual interest in DT on the basis of this song. Obviously nothing wrong with that but I'd consider it a poor choice of song to introduce the band to somebody as it isn't really represent their overall style and they haven't really made any other song quite like it.

Which is funny, because this is the first DT song that I heard. I used to listen to Metallica and Dragonforce, and The Dark Eternal Night instantly clicked with me. Over time, and as my musical tastes developed, I've almost completely turned from a fan of the metal side of DT to a fan of the prog side. Whereas my first favorite of theres was TDEN, my favorites now include Learning to Live and Voices. Interesting how these things work.
lake of fire

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2015, 10:23:17 PM »
I would say any of the long songs would be a bad idea because of their generally inaccessible nature. Instrumentals would be a bad idea as well because of their lack of JLB (anything from WDaDU would be bad for the same reason). It's tough to pick just one because they have a discography mostly comprised of extremely inaccessible songs. I guess The Dance of Eternity would be the worst one but there's so many other songs that could be considered the worst for introducing someone to the band.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2015, 10:33:36 PM »
Depends on what they listen to. If they like metal, something from FII. If they like prog, something from FII too  :rollin
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2015, 10:41:01 PM »
I would say it depends entirely on the introducee.   A few of my all time favourite artists have albums I would call perfect (or close to) as well as some of my lowest rankings ever.  DT and Queensryche both fit the bill there.

If you introduced me to DT right now via the bloat on ToT or SC I never would've bothered to dig deep enough to find what is basically my all time favourite album (I&W). DT are a hard band to just introduce someone to without knowing at least a little about what they like.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline AboutToCrash

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2015, 01:03:54 AM »
I walk beside you, too commercial, could easily have got radio play and barely gives anyone an idea of what DT stands for. Mike Portnoy even said it could've done well as a single but people could've got the wrong idea about the band. Still love the song, but still....

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2015, 01:28:22 AM »
If a persom can not handle Metropolis as an introduction, then I don't think he is the type who would become a real convert.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2015, 04:19:07 AM »
I would not play Space-Dye Vest to anyone. Better chuck Beneath the Surface and Far From Heaven in there too. Nothing strongly against those tracks, they're... fine for what they, maybe even great, but they're especially not something I'd ever use to sell the band. Infact I'd play someone Prophets of War or The Best of Times anyday. You or Me or Anna Lee, fuck yeah! But never SDV.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 06:43:20 AM by Rodni Demental »

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2015, 04:54:05 AM »
If a persom can not handle Metropolis as an introduction, then I don't think he is the type who would become a real convert.
False, someone introduced me to DT with Metropolis, and it was probably the worst song he could ever pick, I'm not usually into prog music, so that once again proves that it really depends on the introducee.

Calvin6s

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2015, 04:56:30 AM »
Well, I actually agree with Train, Scarred is indeed extremely innaccessible and is more a test of patience than encapsulating what DT is about.

Whoa.  Whoa. Wait. Hold up.

Back when you actually used to go into a store and try out audio/video equipment, Scarred was the song I popped in to test if I really liked the speakers/receiver/CD player ... whatever.

Without fail, somebody would come up to us and ask what they were hearing.  And it wasn't long haired metal heads or dudes wearing metal shirts.

Then Voices and Eve (all on Awake) would seal the deal.  Especially Eve.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2015, 08:12:08 AM »
Repentance is the first thing that comes to mind. I imagine a first time listener falling asleep by the time that "Ahhh" section hits. It's not really a knock on the song itself, but if you don't understand the subject matter behind the song, it might be quite confusing and uninteresting.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2015, 09:27:09 AM »
I'd say any ballad (Wait for Sleep, Space-Dye Vest, Hollow Years, The Spirit Carries On, Beneath the Surface etc.) would be a bad introduction. People who expect technical proggy stuff would be turned off, as well as people who want some heavy riffing and shredding. Many people who enjoy those ballads (and that type of music) right off the bat probably wouldn't appreciate DT's technical & heavy side that much. So it's a lose-lose situation.

I think the vast majority of DT fans were drawn in by either the prog or the metal side of DT. The ballads are a good added bonus and can be a nice change of pace if you enjoy them, but I usually skip them when I listen to DT (except for TSCO and Budokan Hollow Years, which are saved by the guitar solos, but both songs took a lot of time to grow on me otherwise).

I always thought that many DT ballads don't really fit in their catalogue seamlessly, oftentimes they stand out like a sore thumb amidst all their intricate, technical and complex instrumental passages and heavy riffing/shredding. This aspect reminds me of ELP, where Keith brought his modern keyboard arsenal and wrote 20 minute heavy and virtuoso prog epics, while all Greg Lake wanted to do was to sing 3 minute long acoustic ballads. Two completely different worlds, different sides to the same band, which didn't really match or create a cohesive whole. Radio listeners who heard Lucky Man might have thought that ELP was this really soft, delicate band (except for the ending, which is a great musical joke and it's an appropriate metaphor to show off the clashing, dissonant nature of the band), while prog fans could end up dismissing and ignoring all the Lake-stuff.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.