Author Topic: FEAR THE WALKING DEAD  (Read 39951 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: FEAR THE WALKING DEAD
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2015, 11:31:25 AM »
Who's the first 'main' character killed off? By main, I mean....the family we met last night? I'd say the easy one is the X-Wife. I could see them offing the main Dad and leaving the Mom or Nick as the 'main' character. TWD has Rick as the "strong" leader....maybe they switch it up and have the strong character be a woman in this show. 
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2015, 11:45:14 AM »
I hope they don't kill Cliff Curtis, I like that guy.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2015, 01:58:59 PM »
After reading and watching some reviews, I am very surprised to find that I seem to like the episode more than most. "Slow" and "not intense enough" seems to be the general complaint about it. That is such a common complaint in general about TV and movies, and one I often disagree with. It seems to take very little to bore people these days. I almost always appreciate a good and long build up, if it's well written.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2015, 04:04:42 PM »
I just saw on FB that it broke some ratings record? 

I thought it was enjoyable, enough to make me want to watch the rest of the eps.  I quite liked the slow pace, and I thought it was comparable to the way TWD pilot started where not a lot happens, but you still get a feel for the characters. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2015, 04:08:04 PM »
After reading and watching some reviews, I am very surprised to find that I seem to like the episode more than most. "Slow" and "not intense enough" seems to be the general complaint about it. That is such a common complaint in general about TV and movies, and one I often disagree with. It seems to take very little to bore people these days. I almost always appreciate a good and long build up, if it's well written.

Yeah, this series needs the build up. It needs us to care about these characters. TWD had the advantage of already having the graphic novel out and those characters were already established in a way. There was nothing wrong with how they did that episode last night. I'd have complained had they not clued people in on the 'walker' aspect....but the final scenes where his buddy was a walker did it and now it's pretty apparent that things are going to fall apart pretty quickly.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2015, 04:17:41 PM »
The thing is, this was the first episode and it needs to A) set up characters and present them to us, B) set up the virus spreading and the gradual decay of society. It seems like some people expected all out walker-chaos in the first episode, and that would be wrong. What this show has the potential to do, which the original TWD kinda just skipped over is taking its time, showing us how society falls and the virus takes over. With TWD, Rick just wakes up and everything has happened. This time we can see how it starts like a small virus, and ends with chaos on the streets. It's a good thing they didn't rush to get to the walker-stuff. Hopefully all of S1 will be about how the virus grows and how the city becomes overrun.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2015, 04:35:18 PM »
I liked the pilot. Great acting too.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2015, 04:43:20 AM »
The first episode was a slow starter, but not in a bad way at all. It NEEDED to be slow, to establish the characters properly and set up real lives, and to hint at what's to come without going all out, otherwise it defeats the purpose of being a prequel spinoff at all. I don't want to see a bunch of hardened badasses running around shooting zombies' brains out yet, I want to see normal people have to deal with a society crumbling into chaos as they learn what's happening to people. The show delivered that well imo.
The junkie son was definitely the best used character at this point, don't really care for anyone much yet.
Once it got to the highway zombie scene, it all started to come together, and I thought overall it was pretty good.

Did anyone else find it funny that of the two main black guys in the episode, one got killed and turned, and the other is missing and likely dead too? I joked about it throughout the episode, and it happened. The black curse continues!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2015, 04:47:39 AM »
Did anyone else find it funny that of the two main black guys in the episode, one got killed and turned, and the other is missing and likely dead too? I joked about it throughout the episode, and it happened. The black curse continues!

Yo.  The scene with the daughter and her boyfriend on the floodlights, I was like, "he's gonna die, and she's going to prison tat that drawing on to her skin". 

I'll be honest I didn't expect Cal to die, although I thought it was pretty clear that he was dodgy.  Maybe subconsciously I was thinking "nah there's already one black guy set to die". 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2015, 09:05:58 AM »

Yo.  The scene with the daughter and her boyfriend on the floodlights, I was like, "he's gonna die, and she's going to prison tat that drawing on to her skin". 

I'll be honest I didn't expect Cal to die, although I thought it was pretty clear that he was dodgy.  Maybe subconsciously I was thinking "nah there's already one black guy set to die".

and the previews pretty clearly showed the Principal turned walker....as he was walking towards the main chic.....although it was a shot from behind you could tell it was him.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 09:14:56 AM by gmillerdrake »

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2015, 09:10:31 AM »
Yeah, I'd call that a spoiler, please avoid saying what happens in the previews.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2015, 09:15:49 AM »
Yeah, I'd call that a spoiler, please avoid saying what happens in the previews.

small fonted it. I figured it was on the previews so it wasn't much of a spoiler. sorry  :(

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2015, 09:29:05 AM »
I love that they're taking their time showing the world falling apart. I was expecting the shit to hit the fan within the first episode. What I love about this take on the universe, and what separates it from the main show, is we get to see the transformation of the characters rather than them showing up several months into the apocalypse and already deranged.
A normal, seemingly mundane character we've seen already could come back later as a major antagonist.
Similarly, a character that seems like they could be the alpha in their survival group could be one of the first to die.
I'm expecting a Ned Stark-esque situation(GoT fans will get what I mean.)

Overall, I'm excited to see how this series pans out.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2015, 09:38:52 AM »
I'm expecting a Ned Stark-esque situation(GoT fans will get what I mean.)

as am I. There's (6) episodes so I'm thinking around episode 4 or 5.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2015, 01:17:27 PM »
10.1 Million viewers......Cable Ratings Record.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2015, 06:31:45 AM »
Watched it last night and enjoyed it.  Very solid story telling in this, much better than TWD IMO.  Good actings and characters.  A bit slow, but I expect that for season/show openers, need to have some build up.   

Offline faizoff

« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2015, 08:03:29 PM »
Solid episode I thought, just building and increasing tension. Sucks that we have to wait another 2 weeks due to labor day next weekend.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2015, 08:19:54 AM »
Solid episode I thought, just building and increasing tension. Sucks that we have to wait another 2 weeks due to labor day next weekend.

Aw man, that sucks.

I thought this episode kept up a good pace, and was much better than the first episode (which I already thought was pretty good). They managed to make it really interesting while actually showing relatively little. This episode was a great indication that they can make a compelling show about society crumbling without going all out with walkers, and hopefully they should be able to get plenty of mileage out of it before it catches up to where TWD started. I like the chaos and panic, and seeing the slow transition from normal society to the post-apocalyptic setting we're more familiar with.

Another black guy down, but it looks like last week's black guy still has a little bit to go.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2015, 09:05:37 AM »
Yup my thoughts exactly, I think they're going a great job so far for the exact reasons you mentioned.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2015, 10:02:32 AM »
Honestly great episode. This show is surprising me.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2015, 01:26:47 PM »
Yea have to say the show caught my attention more than I thought, atleast after the last episode. I like that you see more of the actual outbreak, riots, anarchy and so on. Like the characters especially Nick, some good acting. Although i'm already a bit annoyed at Alicia, the teenage daughter.  :lol She reminded me of Dana from Homeland.

Have there been any talk about a possible future crossover with TWD, I would love that but I have no problem seeing that after a couple of seasons.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2015, 02:09:17 PM »
Have there been any talk about a possible future crossover with TWD, I would love that but I have no problem seeing that after a couple of seasons.

I doubt it. TWD is at least 2 years into the apocalypse whereas the apocalypse is just now starting in FTWD. I'm sure we'll at least hear a reference to D.C./Alexandria Safe-Zone, but LA -> D.C. is certainly a much longer journey than Atlanta -> D.C. A journey that they can't just skim through in 1 or 2 episodes. If they did ever make that journey, they would most likely stay in D.C, thus merging the 2 shows into one, which defeats the purpose of the spin-off, which is showing a different side of the apocalypse completely separate from the characters we've been following for 5 years.

Though I have heard rumors of a certain forgotten character from the main show making an appearance on FTWD...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 02:16:58 PM by Metropolaris »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2015, 02:38:05 PM »
Though I have heard rumors of a certain forgotten character from the main show making an appearance on FTWD...

small font me that rumor.....curious I am

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2015, 03:35:52 PM »

Remember Morales from season 1? I've heard rumors that he showed up on the set of FTWD. Just rumors though, no pics or anything so it could be BS.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2015, 04:38:40 PM »

Remember Morales from season 1? I've heard rumors that he showed up on the set of FTWD. Just rumors though, no pics or anything so it could be BS.

Interesting....it'd be neat to see them bridge the two shows, even with a 'smaller' character like that

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2015, 06:37:24 PM »
Good episode.  God these kids are annoying!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2015, 10:21:37 PM »
Good episode.  God these kids are annoying!

The dude's son is really annoying so far, although the woman's two kids are fine to me.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2015, 10:44:33 PM »
The kids are a bit annoying, but that's only because NO ONE TELLS THEM WHAT'S GOING ON. Seriously, the dumb decisions the kids make aren't even their fault, no one ever explains what's going on to them. That's my one problem with the episode.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2015, 11:03:01 PM »
It makes a bit of sense though. The parents don't even fully know what's going on yet, and not only want to protect them from physical harm, but maybe the emotional harm of knowing they could get fed upon.

Or maybe the parents are just dicks who don't respect their kids. :P

The episode was frantic enough that it doesn't bother me yet.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2015, 11:09:56 PM »
Okay, the stupidity had me a bit irritated this episode, but I suppose I can believe that they'd be shocked and not thinking as we are in terms of 'Okay, these are reanimated corpses and the disease is spreading". It's tough to think that way since the zombie genre has taken the populace by storm. But still a really great episode, I am really loving the drug addict, he seems to be the most grounded character thus far. This isn't to say that I 'like' him the most, especially since this is coming from a recovered addict; but other than that personal connection, he really seems to be the one that speaks for the viewer. The line about people not paying attention and being blind was the moment hammer hit nail for me.

Other than that, I'm really rooting for the sister and the mother to have horribly revolting deaths, and am still holding out for Mr. Smiley to go all gangster and revert back to his Training Day character.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2015, 11:14:27 PM »
Also keep in mind that the characters of TWD are completely genre-blind, unlike every other movie/show in the genre, so they're really slow on the uptake.

For that reason, I hope the little fat kid sticks around for a while. Of course he's fat and slow, so I'm sure he'll be a feast for some lucky walker soon enough.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2015, 11:28:48 PM »
Yeah, I kind of worded it weird, that's what I meant by saying that they're not thinking that they're zombies at all; you said it better: genre-blind.

But yes, I totally forgot to mention Tobias! That dude is gonna be a badass, I hope; I liked him from the start. Indeed, he's a chubby little nerd but damn if he isn't the one I'd have my money on aside from the druggie. First one we saw that is calm, collected, and knew what was happening from day 0. I liked the mention of the internet. Surely that is how word would spread in this day and age aside from the obvious seeing it happening and/or being unfortunate enough to be near ground zero.

All in all though, I'm really digging the slower pace, the tension, and the all around unfolding of the outbreak. Really cool to see these characters and not know and/or hope (or root against) that they're just as brutal, badass and pure survival, feral motherfuckers like Rick and co. I can seriously see Travis being like his Training Day character and just being a gangster devil.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2015, 11:34:40 PM »
I hope that Tobias lasts at least till the end of the season. He's the first character in the show with any major awareness of the situation, so he'll be useful to keep the characters and audience aware of what's happening. But as soon as they have to actually run from a bunch of walkers, he's zombie food. :lol

It does seem that society is crumbling really fast, but hopefully not too fast. I want to see more of everyday life going south, and perhaps learn a bit more of the backstory of the outbreak from what they see on TV and the internet.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2015, 02:51:36 AM »
It makes a bit of sense though. The parents don't even fully know what's going on yet, and not only want to protect them from physical harm, but maybe the emotional harm of knowing they could get fed upon.

Yeah, obviously the parents can't be like "there's a zombie outbreak, kids", but at least explaing to the daughter what they've seen, that those who get sick will become aggressive and try to eat you, might have made her understand that going back to her boyfriend maybe isn't the best idea. Same thing with Travis' ex and son, he could just explain what he has seen and avoid the whole silly "settlement" misunderstanding and later the son's objections at the riot.

And if it were my kids, I think I'd risk emotional damage if the alternative is that they might get eaten alive. That's a silly thing to leave to chance in my mind.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2015, 02:54:51 AM »
I agree entirely, I just figured that was the characters' justification. It bugged me when he phoned his ex and didn't just explain what he was calling for.