Author Topic: FEAR THE WALKING DEAD  (Read 39971 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
FEAR THE WALKING DEAD
« on: August 06, 2015, 07:45:32 AM »
....airs later this month. I figured it warranted it's own thread and below is a link to a review I read this morning. I'm looking forward to the show!

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/fear-the-walking-dead-review-amc-kim-dickens-125933601030.html
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: FEAR THE WALKING DEAD
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 07:50:48 AM »
I was thinking about starting this thread as I was driving into work this morning. I'm excited for this.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 07:57:21 AM »
I'm excited for this.

I'm looking forward to see how they differentiate the two shows. I'd think that they would know that is the major issue with trying to pull this off....making it a stand alone show....so my interest is peaked in seeing how they do that. The review says that (at least the first two episodes) does a great job of separating itself from TWD. Even though eventually their world turns in to that one.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 07:59:17 AM »
I don't think it will be that hard to differentiate the two show styles early on. The first season or two could easily have a 28 days/weeks vibe.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 08:04:00 AM »
The first season or two could easily have a 28 days/weeks vibe.

That would be awesome, an you're right. If done patiently while still making it a cool show they could get a good couple seasons out of 'the beginning' of the outbreak before ultimately having to be in TWD world.

I love that 28 days/weeks franchise. I've had a 'wish' that they'd release another movie called '28 Months'....just to see what Europe looked like 28 months after that last scene of the swarm of infected storming Paris.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 08:10:33 AM »
The first season or two could easily have a 28 days/weeks vibe.

That would be awesome, an you're right. If done patiently while still making it a cool show they could get a good couple seasons out of 'the beginning' of the outbreak before ultimately having to be in TWD world.

I love that 28 days/weeks franchise. I've had a 'wish' that they'd release another movie called '28 Months'....just to see what Europe looked like 28 months after that last scene of the swarm of infected storming Paris.

I wasn't blown away by 28 Days Later. It dragged a little too long in some spots. 28 Weeks Later was just sick. The scene where the virus gets unleashed in the safe zone (was that in London) was insane. One of my favorite movie scenes of all time.

Fear the Walking Dead could milk the beginning of the plague for several seasons if they wanted to. Heck, they could go 4 or 5 episodes before we even see a walker (looking forward to the name they get) infect a non-walker. I'm really interested to see the direction they take. It could end up being the polar opposite of The Walking Dead. Currently, the walkers are terrifying, but the biggest threat is other humans. Every new group we encounter seems to be a bigger threat than the last. With Fear the Walking Dead, we're going to see humans wanting to stick together while the walkers are still the ultimate threat.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 08:11:31 AM »
I plan on watching and agree that at least early on this show should be able to separate itself from TWD, but I do not know where this show ends up once the zombies have fully taken over.  At the end of the day, like TWD, it all comes down to the characters.  The review seems very good in this regard so that gives hope that this show could be very good.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 08:18:23 AM »
I plan on watching and agree that at least early on this show should be able to separate itself from TWD, but I do not know where this show ends up once the zombies have fully taken over.  At the end of the day, like TWD, it all comes down to the characters.  The review seems very good in this regard so that gives hope that this show could be very good.

They could make up anything to keep the stories unique enough. For all we know, there could be massive settlements out west with survivors. The deserts out that way would allow humans to separate themselves from danger much more easily than a state in the south. I don't know. Just kind of thinking out loud here.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 08:28:17 AM »
Yea definitely possible, the environment in LA alone could lead to different scenarios like you said, but I still think this show will ride off the strength of the characters.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 08:39:53 AM »
I know it's a long shot, but I'd love to see the virus evolve. It'd be cool to see early on that the virus just made people irritable (or some other non-threatening side effect) and spread easily, with some people not feeling the effects in any way. Throughout the show, you could see the virus becoming stronger, more deadly, and have a near 100% infection rate. We could see infected people still functioning as humans to a degree, almost like zombie-human hybrids. As time goes on, and the virus begins to adapt its method of survival to the human body, we see the infected acting less human and more zombie like.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 08:46:11 AM »
Definitely looking forward of it. As I said in the other thread, I just hope it doesn't get stuck in the same formula as the main show.
On the road -> Find Shelter -> Encounter enemy group -> Lose Shelter -> Back on the road -> Repeat

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 08:57:21 AM »
At the end of the day, like TWD, it all comes down to the characters.

Yep. If they can get us hooked on a few key characters (like TWD) invested enough to "care" about their fate....then they could frankly do whatever they wanted.

I just hope it doesn't get stuck in the same formula as the main show.
On the road -> Find Shelter -> Encounter enemy group -> Lose Shelter -> Back on the road -> Repeat

As much as that formula sucks....it's quite honestly the most 'reaslistic' formula for that type of world. I mean....those of us who've read and are up to date on the comic know the progression and story but still....I don't think they'll ever get to the point of kicking their heels up on the porch at the end of the day to plan a vacation. Chaotic is just the way it'll be for them, most likely forever.

I know it's a long shot, but I'd love to see the virus evolve. It'd be cool to see early on that the virus just made people irritable (or some other non-threatening side effect) and spread easily, with some people not feeling the effects in any way. Throughout the show, you could see the virus becoming stronger, more deadly, and have a near 100% infection rate. We could see infected people still functioning as humans to a degree, almost like zombie-human hybrids. As time goes on, and the virus begins to adapt its method of survival to the human body, we see the infected acting less human and more zombie like.

It would be interesting to have the outbreak 'explained' a bit more or for us to understand it's existence rather than leave it for the audience to wonder and interpret. Neat idea about a partially infected person though....could be an avenue to a cure?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 09:14:21 AM »
I haven't decided whether I'll bother with this yet. On one hand, I'm curious as to what they'll do with it, on the other, the main show isn't really a good show anymore. So I'm having trouble deciding if Fear the Walking Dead (...hahahahaa....) is worth my time. I might wait and see what others say.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2015, 09:17:30 AM »
the main show isn't really a good show anymore. others say.

You don't like the main show any longer? I think Gimple has done a great job of cleaning up the mess that Mazerra made of it and righting the ship to be more in line and inspired by the comic story. But hey....that's just me. I can see where some would be tired of it though.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2015, 09:22:12 AM »
To be fair, the final few episodes of season 5 were actually good. I'm just a bit weary because I thought season 4 sucked so bad, and season 5 had some of the worst moments and episodes of the entire show. If they can just learn to stop dragging some of the stuff they think of out for waaay to long, and keep up the quality that the Alexandria stuff has had, then I might just change my mind. But for me right now, this show is hurting, on it's knees, fighting to get back on it's feet.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2015, 09:35:50 AM »
If they can just learn to stop dragging some of the stuff they think of out for waaay to long, and keep up the quality that the Alexandria stuff has had, then I might just change my mind.

For me the solution is simple on this aspect. Cut it from 18 episodes a season to 14. It always seems like there are 3-4 episodes a season that really don't 'do' much for the story or show....just fluff. It'd force them to take advantage of every second of show instead of knowing they have a few buffer episodes they can use...

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2015, 10:39:00 AM »
To be fair, the final few episodes of season 5 were actually good. I'm just a bit weary because I thought season 4 sucked so bad, and season 5 had some of the worst moments and episodes of the entire show. If they can just learn to stop dragging some of the stuff they think of out for waaay to long, and keep up the quality that the Alexandria stuff has had, then I might just change my mind. But for me right now, this show is hurting, on it's knees, fighting to get back on it's feet.

I actually agree with this.  I do wonder if this spin off is an attempt to "redo" TWD, fixing the mistakes they made and start anew.  The concept has proven to work (gain an audience and ratings) so if they just fix the characters and remove a lot of the repetitiveness that came after season 2, the show can potentially be a bigger hit. 

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2015, 10:59:00 AM »
Woot! Definitely be catching this, especially since the few shows I'm watching right now are about to end so I'm gonna be left with a media void to fill. I'm still very much into the main series, both comic and TV counterpart, so this will be an awesome addition to that universe, I'm always down for more apocalyptic stories, they never get old to me if they're done right and the story is compelling. Following and eagerly awaiting!

I'm not all that worried about differentiation. Also Kirkman is a guy that isn't going to let his comic become tarnished in that way; people have their thoughts about the TV show (as does he, and all of it's not the usual PR-masturbatory shit) but if this thing was just a rehash, he'd shoot it down. I myself have always been interested in other perspectives in the show, especially the collapse of society.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 11:17:35 AM by TioJorge »

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2015, 12:04:41 PM »
If they can just learn to stop dragging some of the stuff they think of out for waaay to long, and keep up the quality that the Alexandria stuff has had, then I might just change my mind.

For me the solution is simple on this aspect. Cut it from 18 episodes a season to 14. It always seems like there are 3-4 episodes a season that really don't 'do' much for the story or show....just fluff. It'd force them to take advantage of every second of show instead of knowing they have a few buffer episodes they can use...

I think 10 episodes would do. I posted my own version of how I would change and pace season 5 on page 20 in the main thread, which I still think would've been far better than what we got.

But I hear Fear the Walking Dead's (...hahah oh my god hahah...) first season only has 6 episodes, so that's definetely a good sign.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2015, 12:22:06 PM »
I'm surprised Fear the Walking Dead only got 6 episodes. It was already signed up for a second season before they even started filming.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2015, 12:53:44 PM »
I'm surprised Fear the Walking Dead only got 6 episodes. It was already signed up for a second season before they even started filming.

I think TWD was the same way?

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2015, 01:03:00 PM »

I don't know if they had already agreed to season two when TWD started. Even if they did, the show was still an uncertainty. Based on the success of TWD, I'd think FTWD would be a much safer bet in regards to having a longer first season.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2015, 01:37:02 PM »

I don't know if they had already agreed to season two when TWD started. Even if they did, the show was still an uncertainty. Based on the success of TWD, I'd think FTWD would be a much safer bet in regards to having a longer first season.

True. At least 8 episodes which would be a 'half' season I guess.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The Sloth Rules
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2015, 01:39:13 PM »
I think I heard somewhere that TWD was originally supposed to be just a miniseries lasting one season, and the group would have all died at the CDC when it exploded.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2015, 01:50:40 PM »
I think I heard somewhere that TWD was originally supposed to be just a miniseries lasting one season, and the group would have all died at the CDC when it exploded.

Some people would agree that's when it should have ended  :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2015, 01:51:46 PM »

:lol never heard that one before, but that would have kind of sucked to end that way.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2015, 02:04:02 PM »

But then we wouldn't have ever gotten amazing scenes like...

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2015, 03:59:50 PM »
yeah looking forward to seeing my boi Cliff in this what.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2015, 12:45:17 AM »
Wow! That was absolutely awesome. I mean, it's definitely a slow burner, but holy shit is the writing truly great! The pacing was for the most part much better than I expected, and the acting is top notch. I hadn't worried about that last part considering that both leads have performed with a pretty steady amount of gravitas in some roles they've done in films in the past, but something about TV can bring out the worst in actors...or the writing, which was my main concern. I'm really, truly surprised at how much I liked that, and it's mostly to do with the script. I suppose my preconceived notions of the show were misplaced, but something about the trailers put me off and they showed the worst of it, I think; I was enthralled with that first episode. Lots of great tension in minimal, mysterious scenes. Awesome horror, mystery, drama blend of genres.

I'm pretty sure this won't change many people's minds if they were ambivalent or against TWD, but for fans, it's going to be a great ride. My only worry is, lest the quality goes down (if it stays where it's at...this is gonna be great), is that in the latter life of the show, it IS going to be the same as TWD and there's nothing that can be done about that. Granted, I'm speaking in formulaic terms; if they keep it stylistically different, it can still have it's own persona. It's just that doing so is gonna be pretty damn tough once you reach that 'total apocalypse' stage. What else is there but zombies and bad people at a certain point? Survival is all that's left and that's pretty clear based on TWD. I've come to like the name as well, like a lot. Just the word Fear changes everything and I like how that's played out in the show itself. Even though it wasn't 'scary' at times per se (though some others it was...a little), it was filled with tension throughout, you can feel that soon everyone will be in fear like Mr. Druggie and Mr. Nerd are. I loved that scene with the knife, that was beautiful. Totally thought it was just another bully thing. It'll be interesting to see where it goes from here. Woot! New show! Haha I've literally got nothing so the fact that I would be watching this even if True Detective or TWD was airing is great. Couchpotatozombie mode.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online faizoff

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2015, 04:20:59 AM »
I liked the pilot quite a lot as well. Had some Resident Evil/28 days later vibe and was a slow burner but very enjoyable. BTW Junkie son is the real son of Stannis the mannis.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2015, 08:35:43 AM »
Can't wait to eventually get around to watching this!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2015, 08:45:26 AM »
I liked the pilot quite a lot as well. Had some Resident Evil/28 days later vibe and was a slow burner but very enjoyable. BTW Junkie son is the real son of Stannis the mannis.

He carried the pilot quite well. Loved how they incorporated the 'junkie' mannerisms to subtly foreshadow the 'walker' walk and mannerisms. The way he walked and twitched as he was/is coming down and now starting to withdraw is the exact same as a 'walker'.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2015, 11:00:25 AM »
I actually liked it too. Though I may not be as psyched about it as TioJorge.

My favorite of the main people was Nick. Well written character and the actor who played him was actually great. It was pretty interesting to see the beginning of the outbreak.

I've come to like the name as well, like a lot. Just the word Fear changes everything and I like how that's played out in the show itself.

I still think the name is ridiculous. But the episode was good, so it doesn't really matter.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2015, 11:21:56 AM »
It was pretty interesting to see the beginning of the outbreak.

It seems to have been something viral? They kept alluding to people being sick and having the flu? The downtrodden kid in the counselors office saying the internet had been reporting multiple states with the same things happening. So this appears to have been happening for even a few weeks/month before this show started. The actual 'beginning' or first case(s) still a mystery?

I was assuming Nicks GF OD'd and that turned her into a Walker....so the 'virus' or whatever that turns you to a walker once you're dead had already made it's way into the air and spread.

I was glad that Nick got some vindication by the end of the episode. He was looking pretty nuts to everyone  :lol

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2015, 11:24:24 AM »
I enjoyed the episode, despite feeling some zombie-fatigue. I'll be following at least through S1, and I hope it will deliver.