Poll

Vote for the song you want to eliminate!

Dark Chest of Wonders
4 (36.4%)
The Siren
3 (27.3%)
Song of Myself
4 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: October 30, 2015, 10:10:13 AM

Author Topic: Nightwish Survivor - Consolations - Round 16  (Read 1141 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Nightwish Survivor - Consolations - Round 16
« on: October 28, 2015, 10:10:13 AM »
Round 15 Results:

Dark Chest of Wonders - 3 (27,3%)
The Siren - 1 (9,1%)
Sahara - 4 (36,4%)
Song of Myself - 3 (27,3%)

Eliminated:

4. Sahara
5. Dead to the World
6. FantasMic
7. Bless the Child
8. Alpenglow
9. Storytime
10. Meadows of Heaven
11. Edema Ruh
12. Escapist
13. Passion and the Opera
14. Wanderlust
15. The Pharaoh Sails to Orion
16. Beauty and the Beast
17. Angels Fall First
18. While Your Lips Are Still Red

425's strategic fourth vote for Sahara does its job. The song is eliminated, and we're left with one song from Imaginaerum and both songs from Once still alive. Now the question is, will Once prevail in Consolations or one of those songs is going to bite it?

Sahara was in my Top 3, but probably not in my Top 2, so it's alright. Now let's not screw this up...

Dark Chest of Wonders
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jakepriest

Re: Nightwish Survivor - Consolations - Round 16
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 10:27:40 AM »
Sahara deserves finals over everything else on this list.  :facepalm:

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 10:53:47 AM »
Time for The Siren to go.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 10:56:01 AM »
Fuck strategic voting, seriously.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 11:15:09 AM »

I'm sorry.. but if I'm trying to get my favorite song to survive a survivor....anything goes.....

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 11:23:03 AM »
Song of Myself, the ending is what kills it for me, otherwise it would have topped The Siren.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 11:25:41 AM »
The ending is killer, in a good way. Unless you're talking about the very ending, in that case I agree.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 11:33:00 AM »
The ending is killer, in a good way. Unless you're talking about the very ending, in that case I agree.

It's up there with my least liked spoken word in music in any song.  Luckily it's at the end of the song so it doesn't ruin the song for me, I just turn it off at that point, but it affects my vote in this instance.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 02:07:23 PM »
The Siren, as much as I hate voting for It.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 02:28:54 PM »
This is fun  :lol

Are we going to rely on an outside to tie break in the situation where songs are actually going to the finals?  Some big votes here.

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 03:13:16 PM »
Song of Myself
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline 425

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 04:28:27 PM »

I'm sorry.. but if I'm trying to get my favorite song to survive a survivor....anything goes.....

Yep. I'm not going to sit there and vote for the song that has absolutely no chance of getting out while my favorite is sitting near the top of the polls. Not at all sorry for voting for Sahara... and I'm going to hang back a little while longer on this one to decide whether I need to vote Dark Chest of Wonders or The Siren. Dark Chest is the better song, but finals will be alright without either. Whereas finals won't make sense at all without Song of Myself.

Would not blame anyone for using strategic voting against me now or once I begin my campaign of vengeance against 7 Days to the Wolves.

Kind of a huge fan of the very ending, after the music ends. It's one of my favorite parts of the spoken word section (the best is still "Beyond all mortality we are...")

"And there forever remains the change from G to E minor"
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2015, 04:47:31 PM »
Yeah, I get the arguments for strategic voting.

But the point of a survivor is to have everyone else vote for their least favourite song in the bunch and to arrive at a ranking that way, not to try to get your favourite song to win a spot at the top.

But whatever. It's not like people can prevent strategic in any case, it just irks me because it goes against the principles of a survivor in the first place - at least, that's how I view it.

Offline 425

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2015, 05:35:49 PM »
DOC posted a different perspective on what he saw as the original principles of survivors in the previous thread. I don't know if you missed that or did read it and just disagreed, but I just wanted to call your attention it it in any case:

Some (DOC, if I recall correctly) would say that the strategy is half the fun of the survivor. How much am I willing to give to try and save this one song that I love, that sort of thing.

Bingo... I've been here since 2004, and that was the original spirit of the survivors, hence the name "survivor" getting your favorite song to survive at all costs. Much more exciting than mindlessly voting for your least favorite song over and over and over and over again.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2015, 05:48:36 PM »
Fair enough - he's been around longer and if that was the original intent, then who am I to argue.

I do think that the host of a survivor should make clear if he is asking the participants to vote in a certain way (Vote your least favourite, vote your favourites (see The League), have your favourite survive) or not.

I'm nitpicking, ain't I? Probably. It doesn't matter in the long run all that much.

Mainly because I know that Song of Myself sucks and everyone else's opinion is wrong anyway. :P

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2015, 05:34:49 AM »
Fair enough - he's been around longer and if that was the original intent, then who am I to argue.

I do think that the host of a survivor should make clear if he is asking the participants to vote in a certain way (Vote your least favourite, vote your favourites (see The League), have your favourite survive) or not.

I'm nitpicking, ain't I? Probably. It doesn't matter in the long run all that much.

Mainly because I know that Song of Myself sucks and everyone else's opinion is wrong anyway. :P

I think regardless of the original intent (I can't speak for everyone participating in these things back in the day), I have seen a number of people who do desire an accurate ranking, which can be disrupted by survival-minded strategic votes. So I totally get where you're coming from.  I do agree that a host should put his/her preference out there from the offset, or indicate that he/she has no preference, then all bets are off.

In DT the League, my wording is "Please vote for the song that you'd like to see win each match". That allows the voter freedom to do whatever he/she wants. They can vote purely on which of the two songs they like better. They can vote strategically, perhaps voting for Breaking All Illusions over Octavarium, even if they prefer 8VM,  because they feel that BAI would be a better matchup for Learning to Live, which is their all time favorite song, in the next round.

I'm just glad that we're all having fun with music that we obviously are very passionate about.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2015, 07:33:18 AM »

I think it was clear early on in this survivor that people were voting to have their songs survive.  This same discussion happened back on the early albums.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2015, 10:22:57 AM »
I believe I indicated that I have no preference about the voting whatsoever a few times.

I just wish there would be no goddamn tie here, and in tiebreaker if it would be necessary. :lol

Offline 425

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2015, 11:09:58 AM »
Just voted Dark Chest of Wonders, figuring that it would be more likely to have more votes than The Siren.

Scorpion, possibly the great equalizer in the strategic voting is that until I vote, I actually have no idea what the current results are. I can look at the comments and make an educated guess, but I don't actually know until I vote. So this round, for example, you know my strategy is to protect Song of Myself at all costs. So I need to vote for either DCOW or The Siren, whichever one I think is more likely to acquire more votes than SoM. But I legitimately had to just guess which one would have more votes, because the comments don't give me a clear indication as to what the current tallies are. So I could end up in a situation where I try to vote strategically and totally blow it because the votes aren't what I thought they were going to be.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2015, 11:55:45 AM »
Back in the day, there was no option for the host to hide results until you voted. You were able to see what votes have already been cast before you yourself voted. This option, which still exists, lends itself well to the survivor mentality.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2015, 12:17:03 PM »
I think I like not seeing the results, then you have the potential to screw yourself if you play the survivor way.  If we all can see the results, why vote early and not just wait until the end?

Offline 425

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2015, 12:56:12 PM »
Yeah, while I understand having the votes visible and making it super cutthroat, I think they way it is is a good compromise between the points of view. Strategic voting is permitted but comes with a risk.
And if spirit's a sign,