Author Topic: Shadow Ninja's Roulette v. Here At the End of All Things  (Read 20899 times)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: Shadow Ninja's Roulette v. Results Inviolably Deduced Via Tons of Math
« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2015, 09:53:26 PM »
Really bad round for me. I figured you might not love the song, but hoped for a bit more than a 6. :| And two people sent artists I'd planned to use later, and they both scored well. so i dun goofed pretty bad. :rollin

Sending momentarily.

Offline 425

« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2015, 10:19:29 PM »
I did! It's actually quite a good song. Lyrically I think it's not my thing though. Gimme dragons or spaceships any day. :lol  I don't have to like the lyrics to like a song, though.

Brb looking for a song called "Dragons and Spaceships."
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2015, 10:38:00 PM »
Really bad round for me. I figured you might not love the song, but hoped for a bit more than a 6. :| And two people sent artists I'd planned to use later, and they both scored well. so i dun goofed pretty bad. :rollin

Sending momentarily.

I do feel kinda bad about that. I am sure, however, that your reign of terror from my previous roulette will resume shortly.

I did! It's actually quite a good song. Lyrically I think it's not my thing though. Gimme dragons or spaceships any day. :lol  I don't have to like the lyrics to like a song, though.

Brb looking for a song called "Dragons and Spaceships."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf2fCD1hrow

i legitimately love this song

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2015, 10:46:24 PM »
I do feel kinda bad about that. I am sure, however, that your reign of terror from my previous roulette will resume shortly.
Nah, I was 99% sure I couldn't even come close to winning again, that's why I'd planned on sending a couple more risky things this time (like this song). That, and I didn't want to become predictable.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2015, 10:53:00 PM »
i know Alcest was sent in another roulette and I listened to that one and liked it and I like this song a lot too so I probably need to get an Alcest album at some point

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #75 on: August 11, 2015, 04:02:06 AM »
Now I'm so glad I sent you Susanne's White Foxes, I was in big dilemma. You should check whole The Silicon Veil album :D
Sent!
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: August 11, 2015, 04:32:44 AM »
Now I'm so glad I sent you Susanne's White Foxes, I was in big dilemma. You should check whole The Silicon Veil album :D

Beautiful song and a great album.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #77 on: August 11, 2015, 04:35:40 AM »
Yeah, if someone sends you an Alter Bridge song, the likings of getting Blackbird are pretty high, so I wouldn't be shocked if you had this one before, I think the closest this group has gotten to recreating a kind of similar song is Cry of Achilles from their newest album "Fortress".

EDIT: Sent  :metal
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 07:58:24 AM by Train of Naught »
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2015, 08:38:21 AM »
Sent

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #79 on: August 11, 2015, 10:46:50 AM »
Dangit, I only just noticed Gojira is on the ban list, that would've been my next round  :mehlin
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline 425

Re: Shadow Ninja's Roulette v. Downright Precipitous Upways
« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2015, 09:52:41 PM »
Sent! As fun as it's been trying to challenge your perceptions, I'm trying to send you an artist that maybe you might not already have an already-formed opinion of, this time. :biggrin:
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2015, 03:56:32 AM »
Hey Shadow, is it allowed to send live versions of songs? I have band you could like but they're so much better live.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #82 on: August 13, 2015, 10:08:29 AM »
Live tracks are permitted. Make sure the recording is good, though.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #83 on: August 13, 2015, 02:50:14 PM »
I sent a live track that is as amazing as the album version  ;D

Offline 425

« Reply #84 on: August 14, 2015, 07:59:58 AM »
So Shadow Ninja, what's going on right now? Are you listening, or are you still waiting for someone to submit, or neither?  :)
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: August 14, 2015, 09:09:05 AM »
He's probably just mastur being lazy

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Re: Shadow Ninja's Roulette v. Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #86 on: August 14, 2015, 09:33:38 AM »
olol

All the songs are in, and I have begun listening to them. Unfortunately, I'm probably going to be pretty busy today, and pretty much all day tomorrow, so results won't be until Sunday at the earliest.

Offline 425

Re: Shadow Ninja's Roulette v. Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #87 on: August 14, 2015, 10:17:08 AM »
That's fine with me, your pace has been way better than mine ever was :P , just didn't know exactly what was going on at the moment.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Re: Shadow Ninja's Roulette v. the lesson of the moral
« Reply #88 on: August 17, 2015, 05:04:42 PM »

ROUND 3 RESULTS

OK sorry about taking so long on this guys. Future rounds should proceed faster. Some of these writeups may be slightly truncated because of time concerns.

Tom Bombadil
Twenty One Pilots - Hometown

I’m not totally sure what kind of music this is. The song opens with some layered falsetto vocals that remind me some indie bands; nothing spectacular, but nothing bad either. Then, however, the song proves me wrong by introducing an electronic sounding beat and vocals. The electronic elements combined with the continuing indie aesthetic of the piece makes for a very interesting sound. The vocalist also has a lower-register tone on most of the song, rather than the higher pitch that I’d tend to associate with indie bands. The vocalist does use this approach on several parts of the song, and I’m honestly not a huge fan of it, but it works alright. My absolute favorite part of the song is the chorus; it’s still stuck in my head.

8.5 points

Sacul
Bent Knee - Being Human

Yeah, she has an awesome voice. The rest of the band is pretty awesome as well. I love the use of the violin as a full piece of the band, rather than just being used for solos. Musically, this song is pretty different. Honestly, the thing it reminded me most of was maudlin of the Well, both in the song construction and vocal approach. I don’t have a ton to say here, this is just a really great submission.

9 points

bl5150
Street Legal - Starship Trooper

I will admit, I didn’t care for this piece as much as your previous submissions. This is a fairly solid metal song, with reasonably good performance all around. Unfortunately, the song really doesn’t do much to distinguish itself. The vocals are OK, but not outstanding or particularly distinctive, and that kind of holds true for the rest of the song. Solid, but not overly interesting. The guitar solo is pretty awesome, though.

6.5 points

Bolsters
Ellie Goulding - Every Time You Go

I believe I’ve heard the name Ellie Goulding before, but I don’t recall whether I’ve listened to any of her music. I probably should, though, as it seems like it would be right up my alley. The focus of this song is Ellie’s voice, and she’s fantastic. I really like the rapid pace of the vocals on the verses, and the more melodic delivery on the chorus. The instrumentation is really great as well; the drums are tight and fast, and I really love the monophonic-sounding synth tones.

9 points

Tomislav95
Editors - Munich

This is a really great song. It actually reminds me a lot of dredg, from the rapid drum beat to the guitar approach. I love this kind of energetic quality to the instrumentation, especially the drums, in contrast with the slower delivery of the vocals. Speaking vocals, they’re excellent as well. In contrast to my dredg comparison earlier, this vocalist sings in a mostly lower register, which works extremely well here.

Train of Naught
Silver Fist - Ave Fenix

This song suffers from a lot of the same issues as bl5150’s, except I think the performances on that one were better, particularly the vocals. What we have here is a fairly standard metal song, with fast drumming and riffing guitars. Nothing wrong with them, but they don’t really try anything interesting either. The vocals aren’t horribly bad, but they’re not great either. I don’t really think the guy has the talent for this kind of thing, at least not without more practice.

I will say though, it was pretty cool hearing a metal song in Spanish, and the guitar was fairly good.

6 points

Nekov
Shineback - Bedlam Days

Yes, this is definitely different from your last submission. :lol  The song starts out with an audio clip that sounds kinda like it came from a radio show in the 60s or something. Strange, but alright. I can roll with it. It then goes into a sort of trippy sounding electronic section, with some neat melodies from the synths and fantastic drumming (probably programmed? Still good). Unfortunately, then the vocalist comes in, and he’s really not to my taste at all. He’s not awful, but his voice definitely sounds too weak and thin to carry the music, and this is especially apparent on the harmonies.

So this is kind of a weird one; it has some parts that I think are great, but others that just don’t do much for me. You definitely aren’t playing it safe, though, so props for that. Sometimes it just doesn’t work out, :lol

7 points

Death Cab For Cutie - We Looked Like Giants

I’ve heard probably one song by this band before, that I listened to thinking it was a different song. Consequently I realized this, and moved on. I don’t recall thinking too much of that song, but this one is a different story.

This piece is pretty much just fantastic all around. The bass is fantastic (and audible), the drums and guitar are good, and as you mentioned, Ben Gibbard’s voice is fantastic. Oddly enough, at some points he reminds of the singer from Owl City :lol  (not necessarily a bad thing, I like Owl City). Anyway, the song is fantastic, both vocally and instrumentally. I like the band does some longer instrumental sections as well, rather than sticking too closely to the verse-chorus formula.

I liked the bonus song as well, and collectively they are more than enough to interest me in checking this group out further.

9 points

Scorpion
Accept - Shadow Soldiers

I’m fairly sure you sent me this song at some point in the past, but since I apparently managed to forget everything about it, I figure that’s OK! Anyway, this is an awesome song. Most of what I’ve heard from Accept has been a bit faster paced, and I’m glad they can write great slower paced songs as well. Now let’s talk about Mark Tornillo. Mark Tornillo basically has the perfect metal voice. Every band should have him as their singer. He’s got a great, gritty voice in the midrange, but he can bust out some fantastic shrieks when he wants to as well. I should also relevantly mention, the guitar work is absolutely phenomenal, both the guitar solos and the regular riffing. Have some points.

9 points

STANDINGS

Scorpion - 26
425 - 25
Nekov - 25
Tom Bombadil - 24.5
Train of Naught - 24.5
Sacul - 24
Tomislav95 24
bl5150 - 23.5
Bolsters - 23.5

Now it is time for ROUND 4!!

Offline 425

« Reply #89 on: August 17, 2015, 05:20:24 PM »
Yay, you liked DCFC!  :) I've really fallen in love with this band; I'm happy you liked both of the songs I sent. And I'm also happy that I got a good score!

If you're looking for where to start with them, I'd say Transatlanticism and then Plans is the way to go. The former is more rock-oriented and the latter is more pop-oriented. And then go from there.

I'll figure out something to send for the next round in a bit. I'm running a bit low on artists (:lol), and I'm not quite ready to send stuff from artists I received in my roulette as reinforcements yet, so the next round or two from me might be a bit unusual. I have a couple of hidden gems from random genres to throw out, I just need to figure out which one I'm going with.
And if spirit's a sign,

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #90 on: August 17, 2015, 05:22:43 PM »

Scorpion
Accept - Shadow Soldiers

I’m fairly sure you sent me this song at some point in the past, but since I apparently managed to forget everything about it, I figure that’s OK! Anyway, this is an awesome song. Most of what I’ve heard from Accept has been a bit faster paced, and I’m glad they can write great slower paced songs as well. Now let’s talk about Mark Tornillo. Mark Tornillo basically has the perfect metal voice. Every band should have him as their singer. He’s got a great, gritty voice in the midrange, but he can bust out some fantastic shrieks when he wants to as well. I should also relevantly mention, the guitar work is absolutely phenomenal, both the guitar solos and the regular riffing. Have some points.

Wolf Hoffman's tone is addictive.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #91 on: August 17, 2015, 05:37:12 PM »
425, unusual is always welcome.

Also, Wolf Hoffman has to be the most metal name ever. :2metal:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #92 on: August 17, 2015, 05:39:52 PM »
twenty one pilots is an interesting band i def. need to check out at some point, i'v heard Tear in My Heart which is a pretty cool/interesting song too

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #93 on: August 17, 2015, 05:49:43 PM »
Yeah I kinda expected I took it too far with this one, testing your boundaries  :P

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2015, 05:55:13 PM »
Yikes...........you put me off by rejecting my initial submission.  Don't do that again  :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: August 17, 2015, 06:11:01 PM »
Well a 7 is fine by me.

Sent! And still not playing it safe  ;)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: August 17, 2015, 06:11:48 PM »
Hell yes. Time to recover some lost ground. :hat

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #97 on: August 17, 2015, 06:44:17 PM »
twenty one pilots is an interesting band i def. need to check out at some point, i'v heard Tear in My Heart which is a pretty cool/interesting song too
I don't consider them anything amazing, but definitely a fun band with an interesting blend of genres.

Glad you liked the song Shadow.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #98 on: August 17, 2015, 10:01:35 PM »
I just sent another third round submission because apparently I can't count to four. :facepalm:

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: August 17, 2015, 10:09:38 PM »
I don't expect to win this so I'll take some risks from now on. Sent :angel:

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #100 on: August 17, 2015, 10:29:53 PM »
I just sent another third round submission because apparently I can't count to four. :facepalm:

I have done this before myself.

I don't expect to win this so I'll take some risks from now on. Sent :angel:

My taste is so random sometimes I think taking risks is just as sensible as any other method. It tends to be more interesting, at the very least. :lol

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #101 on: August 18, 2015, 03:33:59 AM »
I'm glad you liked Editors. They changed their style on more recent albums, now they're more synth driven rock. Check their newest album (or this year singles) if you like that more.

I sent song for round 4, something different this time :)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #102 on: August 19, 2015, 07:36:56 PM »
OK guys I have all the songs and have started listening; I'll tentatively schedule results for Saturday, but we'll see how it goes.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: August 20, 2015, 06:17:09 AM »
This is moving at a pretty good pace  :tup

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #104 on: August 22, 2015, 01:57:16 PM »
Writing results now; they should be up within two hours.