Author Topic: Deflategate thread  (Read 9107 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Deflategate thread
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2015, 06:59:44 PM »
That's funny.  I never have a problem watching every game with friend's unless it's a late game and I have to work early.  Then I stay home.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2015, 07:49:43 PM »
Fast forwarding through the in between plays time and just watching the plays completely misses the point of the game.  You are missing out on anticipation and drama. 

Even though I am not a big baseball fan anymore, it's like when a big pitch is coming in a tense playoff game. Those 10-15 seconds where the pitcher gets the sign and goes into the windup, while the fans go nuts, is great drama.  Watching just the pitch and the swing, you lose so much. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2015, 08:08:26 PM »
Doesn't ESPN or NFL Network show condensed versions of games? I thought they showed games just like Calvin like, shrinking the whole thing down to an hour or so.

In any event, there are tons of good reasons to watch the whole shebang. Unlike baseball, there's a ton happening on every play. Seeing a replay with somebody knowledgeable pointing out things you might have missed is fascinating. Plenty of times a crucial block or a pick will happen off camera, or a receiver that didn't get thrown to will have been exceptionally well covered. Second guessing is also a big part of it. [Most] Coaches aren't infallible.

The most important thing is that a good game needs that pacing. Particularly once you get into the playoffs, which have been unbelievably good the last few years, you need the drama from the first 3 1/2 quarters to really setup the ending.

Now, let's all go and talk about deflated balls in Josh's NFL thread.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2015, 08:21:48 PM »
I will kill you.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2015, 09:56:53 PM »
A friend sent me a text earlier about something he saw on twitter:

"Congratulations, Patriots fans: the ESPN talking head most on your side is Skip Bayless."

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Calvin6s

« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2015, 10:31:05 PM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2015, 04:17:21 AM »
I will kill you.

:lol

A friend sent me a text earlier about something he saw on twitter:

"Congratulations, Patriots fans: the ESPN talking head most on your side is Skip Bayless."

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

You mean the NFL propaganda outlet? :P
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2015, 09:04:11 AM »
I think this pretty much sums it up:
https://sports.yahoo.com/news/roger-goodell-s-manipulation-of-tom-brady-s-testimony-leaves-nfl-on-slippery-slope-214409591-nfl.html
At this point it's fair to say the NFL was immediately convinced the New England Patriots deflated footballs in the AFC championship game and then worked backward with great diligence and, at times, great duplicity to conclude it as true.

When you're working to prove a point you're already convinced of then it's not too hard to come up with all sorts of "facts." This is the problem with truthers, birthers, and pretty much anybody whose ever listened to more than one Alex Jones broadcast.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2015, 10:28:10 AM »
Yeah I read that today. Very good piece.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2015, 02:03:21 PM »
So I'm going to a Manager's meeting in Columbus O.H. next week and that Monday night they are taking us bowling.  I sent a thank you email that all involved saw and stated that I won't brag because we are candlepin bowlers up here.

Our personal manager responded, "That's ok Joe.  At least we know you can't deflate bowling balls." :lol

Bastards! :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2015, 02:07:12 PM »
:clap:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2015, 09:38:01 AM »
So 4 minutes in court and that was it.  It's up to the judge.  Berman said he will rule in one or 2 days which sounds like paperwork.   

The premise is the judge is ruling so quick so Brady can appeal and play opening night.  Which means he will not go against the CBA.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2015, 12:08:05 PM »
   Which means he will not go against the CBA.

He'll go against the CBA if he feels the NFL has abused its power and overreached on the penalty, of which they did both.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2015, 12:45:40 PM »
   Which means he will not go against the CBA.

He'll go against the CBA if he feels the NFL has abused its power and overreached on the penalty, of which they did both.

That's what I've felt all along but you never know.  This power struggle is now about that CBA, not the act of letting air supposedly out  of footballs.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2015, 01:57:45 PM »
Actually, it's about TNF.  What kind of ratings will they get if Brady isn't playing at home in the season opener of TNF?   :omg:   :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2015, 02:28:15 PM »
Brady should and will play the opening game and Goodell will be out of the job in the next couple of years.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2015, 02:32:53 PM »
LOL next couple years.  No rush.   :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline mrrct

« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2015, 05:05:48 PM »
Dublagent66, the opener on Thursday night will get huge ratings without Brady because the rest of the country wants to see the Patriots get smoked.  It might get better ratings than if Brady actually was playing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2015, 05:31:04 PM »
Actually, it's about TNF.  What kind of ratings will they get if Brady isn't playing at home in the season opener of TNF?   :omg:   :lol

The ratings will be the same, with or without him.  The NFL is much, much bigger than any one player or team.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2015, 06:00:00 PM »
Dublagent66, the opener on Thursday night will get huge ratings without Brady because the rest of the country wants to see the Patriots get smoked.  It might get better ratings than if Brady actually was playing.

This. The Patriots are so much more entertaining when they're the villains.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2015, 08:12:11 AM »
I was making a joke about the golden boy.  You guys thought I was serious.  :lol :rollin :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2015, 08:33:25 AM »
I'll certainly be interested in reading the guy's decision, as I'm still hazy on what gave him the authority to rule against the CBA. My guess had always been that the CBA inferred some semblance of reasonableness in the the commissioner's use of discretion, which was clearly absent here, but I'm still fuzzy on this.

Regardless, the whole thing was bullshit and I'm certainly happy it turned out this way.

And does anybody still think this won't be the death knell for Goodell?
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2015, 08:36:43 AM »
I think it's about a fair investigation that though Goodell has the power, he can't abuse it and it protects the worker.

I still don't think this will hurt Goodell with the owners.  He's doing their bidding.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2015, 08:43:22 AM »
I think it's about a fair investigation that though Goodell has the power, he can't abuse it and it protects the worker.

I still don't think this will hurt Goodell with the owners.  He's doing their bidding.

Right on both counts.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2015, 08:44:37 AM »
Even if we're to assume that the owner's bidding was to spend this much effort going after Brady for something largely insignificant, he failed at it.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2015, 08:47:09 AM »
The guy is an asshat to be sure.

But he didn't give in. He was overturned in court. There's a difference.

Still his incompetency was what got them here in the first place.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2015, 08:51:14 AM »
He's an attorney, and in this case it was his responsibility to build and present a convincing argument. Do Darden and Clark get credit for not giving in?  There's just no possible way that this doesn't reflect poorly on him, and from what I gather he hasn't been particularly popular with the owners for a while.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2015, 09:18:12 AM »
Darden and Clark? haha, I was just watching a show on OJ the other night.

I do think this reflects very poorly on him. The whole fucking thing.

It's hard to know where he stands with the other owners.

I was of the understanding that he was not an attorney. I thought that was mentioned a few times on radio here.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2015, 09:31:41 AM »
I was of the understanding that he was not an attorney. I thought that was mentioned a few times on radio here.
I'll be damned. I thought all along that was his his background.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2015, 09:41:15 AM »
I'll be damned. I thought all along that was his his background.

You might be right, but I'm pretty sure I've heard this. You gotta understand, around here it Deflategate 24/7.

Reading the judge's decision now.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2015, 09:55:03 AM »
Glad to see justice done. If Goodell has an ounce of good reason left in him he'll accept the ruling. I'd have to assume that the owners are going to tell him to drop it at this point. The fans want it to end. The only way I fight this if I'm Goodell is if I know I'm about to get fired.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2015, 10:05:13 AM »
Reading the decision, myself. Of the three arguments for his authority to vacate the suspension I'm finding the first one rather week. Whether or not Brady actually knew that there was a specific penalty for the specific thing that he was accused of doesn't really seem important to me. It seems to me that the whole reason the CBA grants the commissioner final authority on such matters is precisely because you can't enumerate every single violation and every single penalty that might apply. Berman's stated reason is that Tagliabu reached the same conclusion in vacating the suspension of a Saints player in the Bountygate scandal, so I suppose there's some validity, but it still sounds fairly chickenshit to me.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2015, 10:07:26 AM »
Reading the decision, myself. Of the three arguments for his authority to vacate the suspension I'm finding the first one rather week. Whether or not Brady actually knew that there was a specific penalty for the specific thing that he was accused of doesn't really seem important to me. It seems to me that the whole reason the CBA grants the commissioner final authority on such matters is precisely because you can't enumerate every single violation and every single penalty that might apply. Berman's stated reason is that Tagliabu reached the same conclusion in vacating the suspension of a Saints player in the Bountygate scandal, so I suppose there's some validity, but it still sounds fairly chickenshit to me.

That's reasonable Bart. How can every possible stupid scenario a player finds himself in be built into the CBA.