Author Topic: DTF gun owners.  (Read 8489 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: DTF gun owners.
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2018, 05:17:39 PM »
So I load a full magazine in. Get off like 12 of 15 round and then the next bullet jams as its being fed in. Kind of like this:

Like it doesn't feed in smooth.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2018, 08:56:10 AM »
Have you administered a bit of gun oil in the small rails inside the lower half of the slide where they meet with the frame? Could just need some lubrication, especially if you’re just counting on the factory lubrication to still be effective.

EB has a good point with the ammo. I always steer clear of the discount rounds but it looks like you used Remington so they’re not discount by any means.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2018, 10:26:09 AM »
The lubing is a good point. And I actually did do a full strip and cleaning/lubing after range day 1. So I'm looking forward to range day 2 which I will try and do this week.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2018, 11:43:35 AM »
Short of shooting someone, the worst thing you can do with a gun is not clean and oil it religiously.   

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2018, 12:55:37 PM »
Have you administered a bit of gun oil in the small rails inside the lower half of the slide where they meet with the frame? Could just need some lubrication, especially if you’re just counting on the factory lubrication to still be effective.

EB has a good point with the ammo. I always steer clear of the discount rounds but it looks like you used Remington so they’re not discount by any means.
  I use the remington white box rounds for the range.  My ammo guy cringes every time I buy them, he says they are really bad

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2018, 01:07:38 PM »

I use the remington white box rounds for the range.  My ammo guy cringes every time I buy them, he says they are really bad

Maybe, if you're shooting in competitions and putting tons of rounds through your gun.  But if you are doing 100-200 at the range once a month or less, and you do even a halfway decent cleaning after shooting, I wouldn't much care what other people think of your ammo choice unless it is really some off-brand, cheapo stuff like along the lines of what GMD and El Barto mentioned.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2018, 01:22:16 PM »
Yeah, those white box Remingtons are pretty disliked. Like Bosk said, I'm fairly indifferent to what I run through at the range. Afterwards I go home, clean the weapon, and load it with good ammo. I typically buy Academy's cheapo brand (I think it's Monarch), and while I wouldn't take the stuff to a gunfight, I've had no problem target shooting with it.

The cheapo Russian ammo from Walmart is TullAmmo. Steel cases and pretty dirty. I still wouldn't worry too much about it for range shooting, though.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2018, 06:10:35 PM »
Yeah, those white box Remingtons are pretty disliked. Like Bosk said, I'm fairly indifferent to what I run through at the range. Afterwards I go home, clean the weapon, and load it with good ammo. I typically buy Academy's cheapo brand (I think it's Monarch), and while I wouldn't take the stuff to a gunfight, I've had no problem target shooting with it.

The cheapo Russian ammo from Walmart is TullAmmo. Steel cases and pretty dirty. I still wouldn't worry too much about it for range shooting, though.

Yeah I use the tulammo for my AR at the range. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2018, 06:16:08 PM »
What type of AR do you have?

I'm looking in to getting my first and I was thinking either the Diamondback DB15  or maybe the Colt 6920.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2018, 07:42:20 AM »
I have a  Smith & Wesson M&P15 Sport II .  I've done some mods but nothing major.  Also have a Glock 19 and a Mossberg 500 shotgun.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2018, 07:46:14 AM »
A few mods?  Nothing major? 

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2018, 07:50:37 AM »
My "bedside" is a Ruger .45 semi-auto.  Salesman recommended Hornady critical defense 185 gram with flex tip.  I'm no expert on ammo and tend to go with recommendations.  I'll fire the house brand at the range but as my oldest recently joined the reserves, he gets to clean and oil afterwards.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2018, 08:02:22 AM »
A few mods?  Nothing major? 

:lol  Pretty much!

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2018, 08:04:06 AM »
My "bedside" is a Ruger .45 semi-auto.  Salesman recommended Hornady critical defense 185 gram with flex tip.  I'm no expert on ammo and tend to go with recommendations.  I'll fire the house brand at the range but as my oldest recently joined the reserves, he gets to clean and oil afterwards.

I use the Hornady CD also.  Great stuff, just a bit pricey.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2018, 09:14:28 AM »
I have a  Smith & Wesson M&P15 Sport II .  I've done some mods but nothing major.  Also have a Glock 19 and a Mossberg 500 shotgun.

Very nice.

So I just got back from range day #2 with the Beretta and I am happy to say that it didn't jam even once. I am very pleased. Thanks to everyone for the advice on the jamming issue.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2018, 10:18:15 AM »

Very nice.

So I just got back from range day #2 with the Beretta and I am happy to say that it didn't jam even once. I am very pleased. Thanks to everyone for the advice on the jamming issue.
  I need to get to the range, it's been a lil over a year.  I prefer our outdoor range, for rifle and shotgun, but it's so damn far.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2018, 11:26:09 AM »
If funny. I just kind of randomly went one day for the hell of it, but Its really turning into a passion for me.

And all of my friends are in to it as well, so its a lot of fun.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2018, 01:55:46 PM »
I enjoy it too!  Unfortunately my crappy state (California) is sucking all the fun out of it.  4 more years and I'm retired and out of here!!

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2018, 03:35:24 PM »
I enjoy it too!  Unfortunately my crappy state (California) is sucking all the fun out of it.  4 more years and I'm retired and out of here!!
Ironically, it's actually far easier to shoot on public land in your state. Whole lot of BLM land in Cali. Texas has a good deal of national grassland, but the state declared it all animal refuge territory. Somewhere out there is a former Lt. Governor that owns a chain of gun ranges, I figure.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2018, 04:55:38 PM »
Ironically, it's actually far easier to shoot on public land in your state. Whole lot of BLM land in Cali. Texas has a good deal of national grassland, but the state declared it all animal refuge territory. Somewhere out there is a former Lt. Governor that owns a chain of gun ranges, I figure.
  Funny you mention the BLM land.  I did a bit of research on it a few years ago and while on the surface everything seem legit, I vaguely remember reading some contradictory things.  Or things that made it seem not such a straightforward  deal.  Regardless, I live in the heart of SoCal.  Don't think there is any BLM land near by.  :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2018, 05:19:23 PM »
  Funny you mention the BLM land.  I did a bit of research on it a few years ago and while on the surface everything seem legit, I vaguely remember reading some contradictory things.  Or things that made it seem not such a straightforward  deal.  Regardless, I live in the heart of SoCal.  Don't think there is any BLM land near by.  :lol
BLM land is by default open to shooting (along with national parks, forests, and grasslands). They might put in place seasonal restrictions due to fire concerns, and the state might have a reason to prohibit it, as well. Just picking the one closest to you and checking their site should tell you what's up. In your case you're probably looking at Beauty Mountain Wilderness. Barring a fire restriction there is no prohibition on shooting.

When I was a kid my old man took us up to the national grasslands in Decatur to shoot four or five times year. Find a spot with a natural backstop that's not close to other people you might bother, and have at. Good times.
E.F. Benson

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2018, 03:30:29 PM »
Well, I got my AR-15 today. This thing is crazy, it makes my Beretta look like a pea shooter. And honestly, this is the first time in my life that I have ever held an AR and I have to admit, its pretty surreal.

Gonna take it to the range later in the week.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 03:53:30 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2018, 02:51:30 PM »
Question about the concealed carry license, since I just got mine.

If I get pulled over, but have no guns on me or in the car, do I have to tell the officer that I have a concealed carry license or is this just if I have weapons on me?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2018, 03:04:06 PM »
Question about the concealed carry license, since I just got mine.

If I get pulled over, but have no guns on me or in the car, do I have to tell the officer that I have a concealed carry license or is this just if I have weapons on me?
They didn't teach you this at concealed carry school? Damn. Uh, what state are you from?
E.F. Benson

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2018, 03:11:16 PM »
PA

Which is basically the wild west. Theres no classes for anything. I just filled out a form, gave em 19 bucks and they issued the permit shortly there after.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 03:24:51 PM by Phoenix87x »

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2018, 03:32:07 PM »
PA

Which is basically the wild west. Theres no classes for anything. I just filled out a form, gave em 19 bucks and they issued the permit shortly there after.
And this is why "reciprocity," as those nimrods in congress laughingly call it, is bullshit.
E.F. Benson

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2018, 07:24:01 PM »
PA

As a guy who has conceal carried for coming up on 10 years now.....I cannot understand how a class isn't required in every state. 8-10 hours of listening to and breaking down the laws and then having to qualify in a shooting test is not that much to ask when considering the huge responsibility involved.

Even my state, Missouri, passed a 'Constitutional Carry' law a year and a half ago. No class needed....don't even have to pay a fee.....just conceal away. It's the dumbest thing in the world. I still maintain my CCW license because God forbid I ever am forced to use my weapon I'll have a documented record of me filing my paper work every 5 years....I keep a pretty detailed shooting log of when I shoot at the range to count the rounds I've fired through my gun...I guess my point is taking a class should be a minimum requirement to conceal carry...everywhere. It's unreal that it's not.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2018, 10:28:50 PM »
PA

As a guy who has conceal carried for coming up on 10 years now.....I cannot understand how a class isn't required in every state. 8-10 hours of listening to and breaking down the laws and then having to qualify in a shooting test is not that much to ask when considering the huge responsibility involved.

Even my state, Missouri, passed a 'Constitutional Carry' law a year and a half ago. No class needed....don't even have to pay a fee.....just conceal away. It's the dumbest thing in the world. I still maintain my CCW license because God forbid I ever am forced to use my weapon I'll have a documented record of me filing my paper work every 5 years....I keep a pretty detailed shooting log of when I shoot at the range to count the rounds I've fired through my gun...I guess my point is taking a class should be a minimum requirement to conceal carry...everywhere. It's unreal that it's not.
And if the dipshits in then Senate go along with the house that would be the standard for every state whether they wanted it or not. Texas requires a sound moral character, a 6-8 hour class on the law, and a test of handgun proficiency. The least you can do, in my book. Yet people from AZ, which has no permit requirement whatsoever will be allowed to carry with no vetting process at all. State's rights! Fuck Yeah!
E.F. Benson

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2018, 04:33:57 AM »
Wow, I had no idea. I really would have preferred some kind of class and the shooting test makes sense as well.

And I would have preferred a class because the application had no information on it. It was just my information that I had to fill out. I searched the state government website for info and responsibilities as well and can't find anything in line with basic questions I wanted to know about. So I am in the dark for the moment.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 04:46:39 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2018, 04:56:47 AM »
State's rights! Fuck Yeah!

All hail 2A

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2018, 06:43:27 AM »
Wow, I had no idea. I really would have preferred some kind of class and the shooting test makes sense as well.

And I would have preferred a class because the application had no information on it. It was just my information that I had to fill out. I searched the state government website for info and responsibilities as well and can't find anything in line with basic questions I wanted to know about. So I am in the dark for the moment.

When I got mine I took an 8 hour class where we were ran through the law, listened to different scenarios and what ‘should’ be the response....went through a bit of gun safety and then we had to qualify with a revolver and semi automatic handgun. I believe it was all (10) of your shots had to be within the target boundaries from 15 foot. It’s not that difficult a shot but it proves you can at least aim a bit.

Like I said and EB mentioned.....at minimum a class and operational qualification should be mandatory. This is where that whole ‘common sense’ gun law idea comes in because jeez....it’s just common sense.

But if anything has been disproven in recent years it’s that common sense really is no longer that common.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2018, 07:01:44 AM »

Hey, PA resident here. Used to have my concealed carry permit, let it expire and haven't had time to get back in to renew.

It's true, in PA, the process is insanely simple, I was in and out in 30 minutes with my permit in hand.

To your original question, if you get pulled over and don't have a gun with you, I wouldn't bring it up.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2018, 07:03:37 AM »

Hey, PA resident here. Used to have my concealed carry permit, let it expire and haven't had time to get back in to renew.

It's true, in PA, the process is insanely simple, I was in and out in 30 minutes with my permit in hand.

To your original question, if you get pulled over and don't have a gun with you, I wouldn't bring it up.

Makes sense. That's pretty much what I was thinking, but its good to get a second confirmation. Thanks

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2018, 07:22:17 AM »

Makes sense. That's pretty much what I was thinking, but its good to get a second confirmation. Thanks

Yup, no prob. I've actually never been pulled over with a gun in the car, I've only been pulled over a couple times since I became a gun owner/permit carrier and I happened to not have my gun with me. Just didn't bring it up, didn't see the need to mention guns to the police seeing how I didn't even have it with me.

If you do get pulled over with your gun in PA though, I recommend handing the officer your permit with your license and registration and calming stating that you have a concealed carry permit and have a gun in the glove box or where ever. I've been in the car with a couple buddies who got pulled over while they had their weapons in the car, and the officers have always been fine with that approach.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2018, 08:39:03 AM »
Wow, it blows my mind that conceal carry permits are so easy to get in a few states.  That's just dumb.  Here in CA, I think the process is TOO strict (clarification--the way the rules are written, they're fine; I only have a problem with how they are applied in a lot of counties).  But I'm dumbfounded that there is virtually no process in apparently at least a few states.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."