Author Topic: 90s Classic Albums (Featuring: Matchbox Twenty)  (Read 24542 times)

Calvin6s

Re: 90s Classic Albums (Featuring: Pearl Jam)
« Reply #455 on: August 24, 2015, 05:12:21 PM »
Never really got into Pearl Jam.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #456 on: August 24, 2015, 05:14:47 PM »
Great album, a whole mess of classic tracks on there, but loses momentum towards the end for me. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #457 on: August 24, 2015, 05:17:35 PM »
I'm a huge fan but didn't follow as much from the self titled which is ordinary.  Backspacer was quite a nice return though, but Lightning Bolt sucked.

Everything up to Yield is perfect.  Binaural and Riot At were good too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #458 on: August 24, 2015, 05:51:08 PM »
My favourite Pearl Jam albums are Vitalogy, No Code, Yield and Ten.

Don't like VS or anything after Yield. Self titled was ok I guess but never really bothered with Backspacer or lost dogs or whatever the last album was.

Ten is great though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #459 on: August 24, 2015, 06:02:19 PM »
Lost Dogs was a b-side and rarities collection.  Pretty good.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #460 on: August 24, 2015, 06:05:44 PM »
Yarp. I meant Riot Act :)

They seemed to settle into a formula after No Code - which was punky chords and Eddie's weird yelping voice. He changed his style after Vitalogy.

I've heard him do his TEN voice again live so he can still do it but prefers to do his weird No Code vocals now for everything.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #461 on: August 24, 2015, 06:32:42 PM »
Ten. Great riffs. Great vocals. Great album.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #462 on: August 24, 2015, 06:34:28 PM »
What does everyone think of the TEN reissue that basically removed all the reverb ?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #463 on: August 24, 2015, 07:33:32 PM »
I thought the remix was pretty good.  I'd have to get it out and listen but I remember thinking it was decent.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #464 on: August 24, 2015, 07:50:57 PM »
I remember being a fan of Mother Love Bone to the extreme, and it broke my heart when Andrew Wood passed away so suddenly, and way too soon.   But when I found out that key members had started another band, I was really excited. 

I was all pumped when someone handed me the copy of Ten, and told me to play Alive....

:| :| :| :| :|

Seriously...boring...song.    Absolutely did nothing for me then, and still does absolutely nothing for me now.  Can't figure out for the life of me why anyone likes that song, or why one of the worst songs from the album was released as a lead off single.   It's just baffling to me. 

After hearing that, I decided they were done and I wasn't going to buy the album. 

But then I heard Evenflow...then I heard Jeremy....then I heard Black.   

:eek :eek :eek :eek :eek

Totally different story.  Love those songs to the nth degree, and Jeremy can still bring me to tears.    The bands style never clicked with me as much as Soundgarden...but I truly respect the fact that they've been the guys who have stayed together and stuck to their guns of doing what they wanted to do all this time.    I have nothing but complete admiration for what they've accomplished.   I should really dive in to more of their latter day material.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #465 on: August 24, 2015, 07:54:27 PM »
I never understood the love for Alive either.  It wouldn't make my Pearl Jam best of.  I think it's just been played to death over the years and still does, that doesn't help IMO.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #466 on: August 24, 2015, 08:34:25 PM »
The hook for Alive is that catchy riff. It's not the best song, but playing that riff rocks.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #467 on: August 24, 2015, 09:18:09 PM »
I don't really care for the band, but this album is a great one
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #468 on: August 25, 2015, 06:56:14 AM »
    I have nothing but complete admiration for what they've accomplished.     

This is how I feel. I think I got their debut, but it wasn't really what I was into. But an all time great band.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #469 on: August 25, 2015, 07:34:42 AM »
You are nuts Kev.  This album is an ass kicker.
This.

I agree that Alive is overrated, and I could personally never hear Jeremy again and it would be OK, but the rest of the album is fantastic.

My favorites are Black and Release.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline mrrct

« Reply #470 on: August 25, 2015, 07:43:54 AM »
I liked this album slightly better than anything Nirvana ever did.  It's pretty good, but that's it, with Black and Jeremy as the standouts.  I still have the disc, unlike a lot of other albums from the era.

My biggest gripe with Pearl Jam (and grunge in general) was how they temporarily ruined the clothing industry.  The clothes from around 1992-1994 were so hideous that I had to dress like a jock, even though I wasn't one.  My whole wardrobe consisted of Champion sweatshirts and tees with athletic marks on them because the only other clothes being sold were plaid, or lumberjack-looking shit.  Those bands had a contrived thrift shop look as a counter to the leather and spandex look of the eighties, except there was nothing cheap about the stuff that was sold in stores, even if they looked like the old Gorilla Monsoon line, "He's not wearing thirteen dollars worth of clothes, and that's including his watch!"  Thankfully, that fad lasted about as long as all others, but for a couple of years almost everybody looked like bums.  It was like the seventies, where you had to be the President in order not to look ridiculous.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #471 on: August 25, 2015, 07:59:31 AM »
I really love this record, and yes, it's a classic, although it gets a bit sketchy near the end. And I really like Alive, although it's a bit overplayed.
Other than this record I never really got into Pearl Jam, there are the occasional songs I like but on the whole they don't grab me.

Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #472 on: August 25, 2015, 09:54:41 AM »
You are nuts Kev.  This album is an ass kicker.
This.

I agree that Alive is overrated, and I could personally never hear Jeremy again and it would be OK, but the rest of the album is fantastic.

My favorites are Black and Release.

Black:  has one of my favorite lines in any song, ever:  "I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star, in someone else's sky, but why, why, why, can't it be, can't it be mine?"

Release:  favorite song on the album (and it's one of my two favorite Pearl Jam albums along with Yield).

Pearl Jam is weird for me:  I LOVE LOVE LOVE The Mother Love Bone, because it is so rooted in classic rock, and PJ for me is best when they do the same.  The weirder, and/or more indie they get (read:  the more Eddie influences the music) the more they lose me. 

FYI, I miss no opportunity to suggest to those that like PJ to seek out their cover of "Love Reign O'er Me".  Ed makes no bones about loving The Who and he sings the absolute F*** out of that song (not an easy song to sing, to start with).

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #473 on: August 25, 2015, 10:30:26 AM »
Ok so I slagged off grunge pretty heavily in a previous post but I don't mind this album. There are some good songs here. I never delved any further into the catalogue and it was several years after the album came out before I bought it. My ex wife loved it which soured the album somewhat for me too  :lol

I'm pretty sure the Alive solo rips off Ace FrehleyS She solo, though he did steal that from the Doors.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #474 on: August 25, 2015, 10:38:03 AM »
Haha; "Alive" pays homage to "She", "She" rips "Five To One" almost note-for-note (and I'm a massive Kiss fan). 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #475 on: August 25, 2015, 10:46:39 AM »
The hook for Alive is that catchy riff. It's not the best song, but playing that riff rocks.

Yeah before I could play I wanted to one day learn how to do that riff. Then it turns out it's actually super easy :P

Calvin6s

« Reply #476 on: August 25, 2015, 06:40:32 PM »
To me, it was always Pearl Jam/Nirvana on one end and Alice in Chains/Soundgarden on the other.  I'm on the AIC/Sg side.  However, I did like Mother Love Bone and later Temple of the Dog much more than I ever took to Pearl Jam.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #477 on: August 25, 2015, 11:00:08 PM »
My biggest gripe with Pearl Jam (and grunge in general) was how they temporarily ruined the clothing industry.

The grunge style was born of working class folk in the Pacific Northwest wearing utilitarian work clothing. This has more to do with department stores poaching that style for fad and profit.

The clothes from around 1992-1994 were so hideous that I had to dress like a jock, even though I wasn't one.  My whole wardrobe consisted of Champion sweatshirts and tees with athletic marks on them because the only other clothes being sold were plaid, or lumberjack-looking shit.

If you lived in a very small town, this may have been the case but everywhere else there were far more styles available. Just watch reruns of any TV show from that era for reference.

Those bands had a contrived thrift shop look as a counter to the leather and spandex look of the eighties, except there was nothing cheap about the stuff that was sold in stores, even if they looked like the old Gorilla Monsoon line, "He's not wearing thirteen dollars worth of clothes, and that's including his watch!"

As I already pointed out, department stores were exploiting their working class look. These kids weren't ballin in $50 shirts and jeans. Also, you could get Arizona jeans at JC Penney as well as comfy flannels for $20-25 all the time. Finish the outfit with any <$10 T-shirt and you were set.

Thankfully, that fad lasted about as long as all others, but for a couple of years almost everybody looked like bums.  It was like the seventies, where you had to be the President in order not to look ridiculous.

It really sounds like your disdain for that scene causes you to have a hyperbolic view of it.

As for the album? I was late to the party. Jeremy was the first single that I was actually aware of as a new single since the Alive/Evenflow weren't played on my favorite pop rock station back then. I liked it a good bit and Black was very dear to me. I didn't fully get into the album until 1996 and then fucking adored it. I fondly remember sitting with my PS1 and notebook repeatedly rewinding various lines from black until I could decipher all the lyrics from it.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #478 on: August 25, 2015, 11:03:07 PM »

Yeah before I could play I wanted to one day learn how to do that riff. Then it turns out it's actually super easy :P
[/quote

Yeah, it was. That's also why it was also a blast learning to play that riff because you could jam to it even if you are just a beginner. :)

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #479 on: August 26, 2015, 12:50:30 AM »
If you're going to release a debut album, 'Ten' isn't a bad place to start I guess. Fantastic album, I think I wore that vinyl out in three weeks time.
There's almost no filler on there. I love Jeremy, Evenflow and off course Black, but also songs like Porch and Garden are great songs.

Still think it's their best album, found it very hard to get into 'vs' after that.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #480 on: August 26, 2015, 01:14:40 AM »
I think Vs is great, possibly even better. But that still makes Ten a great album too. After those two though, only occasional songs have fazed me all that much.

Black is one of my favourite songs.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #481 on: August 26, 2015, 08:40:13 AM »
Mookie Blaylock
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #482 on: August 26, 2015, 11:07:00 AM »
Most of the singles are good from this album. Unfortunately that leaves half an album of fodder.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #483 on: August 26, 2015, 11:26:30 PM »
Mookie Blaylock

Sort of the album's namesake but you already knew that. Just highlighting this for others.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 90s Classic Albums (Featuring: The Smashing Pumpkins)
« Reply #484 on: August 30, 2015, 08:55:03 AM »
Sorry for the slacking off...

The Smashing Pumpkins have always been a band I thought sounded pretty cool musically, but something about Billy Corgan's voice just didn't appeal to me.  And I heard Siamese Dream a lot, since my brother Mark was bananas over it and played it a ton.  "Disarm" was always the one song I did enjoy a lot.  I probably need to give this another listen one of these days, with a fresh mind.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #485 on: August 30, 2015, 08:59:04 AM »
Like you  Kev, the music I loved, the voice......not so much.  Still a very good album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #486 on: August 30, 2015, 09:01:45 AM »
I just listened to Today and Cherub Rock, both of which someone must have given me on mp3 at some point, and liked both.  Guess I'll have to bug my brother Mark for the CD to borrow. :lol

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #487 on: August 30, 2015, 09:54:16 AM »
Siamese Dream is an amazing album, even though I personally think Mellon Collie was the pinnacle of Smashing Pumpkins.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #488 on: August 30, 2015, 09:57:54 AM »
Great album. The pumpkins were my first favorite band as well as my first concert. I didn't much care for Today at first but grew to like it. Fucking loved Disarm right out the gate and that's never wavered.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #489 on: August 30, 2015, 11:17:35 AM »
Siamese Dream is an amazing album, even though I personally think Mellon Collie was the pinnacle of Smashing Pumpkins.

Fuckin Love Mellon Collie. Machina too.

Adore was a bit hit or miss. Zeitgeist suffered from a poor mix but Oceania was pretty great. I stopped listening after that.