Author Topic: 90s Classic Albums (Featuring: Matchbox Twenty)  (Read 24606 times)

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Re: 90s Classic Albums (Featuring: Nirvana)
« Reply #385 on: August 18, 2015, 04:22:42 PM »
Foo Fighters have become modern rock's AC/DC.  They're formulaic and they don't give a shit, and they're laughing all the way to the bank.
Exactly. But they're even more dull than AC/DC for me. Ugh,I wonder what Kurt would think if he heard FF. (He'd prob hate it.  :lol)

Also,can we have a new album already?  :biggrin:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #386 on: August 18, 2015, 04:30:24 PM »
Foo Fighters are far better than Nirvana ever were. I agree that most of their songs are pretty "samey," but they do that style pretty well. :metal

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #387 on: August 18, 2015, 04:36:35 PM »
I don't know that they're better because you can't deny the influence Nirvana had, but they're far more entertaining.  And I think that's largely due to Grohl living through the faux-apathetic grunge stage and coming out the other side being able to appreciate his position and have fun with it.  Ironically he sort of morphed into the kind of thing that Nirvana was supposed to be the antithesis of - though I suppose Nirvana did the same thing towards the end.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #388 on: August 18, 2015, 04:47:38 PM »
Sometimes you just want a good burger somewhere that you know you'll like.  That's the Foo Fighters.  Consistent. 

While I do like a few songs from Nirvana, their interviews drove me insane.  I hated that "everything sucks: attitude and was put off with them for some reason.  Hell, I was in my mid 20's when they came out and there were just other bands that resonated to me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #389 on: August 18, 2015, 04:57:35 PM »
I hated that "everything sucks: attitude and was put off with them for some reason.

Yeah, that annoys me too. But yeah, I think the fact that Grohl is past that attitude means that the Foos can and do embrace their influence and position in the music world, which in turn makes them highly more likable and relatable.  I think Nirvana could've achieved that same level if they weren't so conceited, which I imagine stems from Cobain primarily. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #390 on: August 18, 2015, 04:59:15 PM »
Remember how they acted on the I think 1992 MTV music awards?  God I was so turned off by them.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #391 on: August 18, 2015, 05:03:28 PM »
There's no denying that Kurt dying gave Nirvana legendary status. I bet if they'd recorded In Utero and just broke up.. They'd just be That band that did Nevermind then broke up one album later. End of story.

You really think that? All the great songs they wrote don't even make the equation? :facepalm:

About Nirvana x Foo Fighters, i'm no fan of either but Nirvana has both Nevermind and In Utero which destroy any FF album, so there's that.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #392 on: August 18, 2015, 05:06:17 PM »
Remember how they acted on the I think 1992 MTV music awards?  God I was so turned off by them.

I would've been 2, so no :lol

is that the thing where they were arguing with Axl Rose/GnR?  I would be angry if I were in GnR too, seeing as Grunge was the death knell for them and their pompous bullshit.

There's no denying that Kurt dying gave Nirvana legendary status. I bet if they'd recorded In Utero and just broke up.. They'd just be That band that did Nevermind then broke up one album later. End of story.

You really think that? All the great songs they wrote don't even make the equation? :facepalm:

About Nirvana x Foo Fighters, i'm no fan of either but Nirvana has both Nevermind and In Utero which destroy any FF album, so there's that.

I would agree that Cobain's suicide elevated them in a way they couldn't have achieved otherwise.  Which is a shame.  It goes to show how people are much more interested in celebrity culture than they are about music.  I'm willing to bet half the little shits that walk around wearing the Nirvana smiley shirt thing couldn't name any songs pre-Teen Spirit. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #393 on: August 18, 2015, 05:12:44 PM »
if I were in GnR too, seeing as Grunge was the death knell for them and their pompous bullshit.

GnR wrote their own death ticket. From '91 through '93, they were the biggest band on the planet. They were just so fucked up they could not keep it together.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #394 on: August 18, 2015, 05:15:39 PM »
if I were in GnR too, seeing as Grunge was the death knell for them and their pompous bullshit.

GnR wrote their own death ticket. From '91 through '93, they were the biggest band on the planet. They were just so fucked up they could not keep it together.

There's that too, which I figured someone would bring up :lol

I think yeah they were heading that way anyway, but as soon as grunge became the big thing they found that noone really gave a shit about anything anymore (because apathy), including them. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #395 on: August 18, 2015, 05:19:37 PM »
As a general statement about grunge and hard rock, I would agree. But to me, Metallica and Guns n Roses were the exceptions at that time. Both bands transcended what was going on in pop culture. G n R really just suffered a drug fueled implosion.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #396 on: August 18, 2015, 05:32:06 PM »
A random wee story on the topic of Nevermind.

My brother worshipped Nirvana growing up. At his 21st, he had a playlist of songs he picked on shuffle. Right when he went to cut the cake, and everyone goes quieter, Something In The Way came on. I guess most people wouldn’t know the song well enough to know what it’s about, but for me, it made the moment a touch morbid.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #397 on: August 18, 2015, 05:36:03 PM »
holy shit :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #398 on: August 18, 2015, 05:40:33 PM »

I would've been 2, so no :lol

is that the thing where they were arguing with Axl Rose/GnR?  I would be angry if I were in GnR too, seeing as Grunge was the death knell for them and their pompous bullshit.

I would agree that Cobain's suicide elevated them in a way they couldn't have achieved otherwise.  Which is a shame.  It goes to show how people are much more interested in celebrity culture than they are about music.  I'm willing to bet half the little shits that walk around wearing the Nirvana smiley shirt thing couldn't name any songs pre-Teen Spirit.

I think G & R are asshats too!  In the end you are your own man and how you act matters.  Imagine if Kurt took care of himself?!   How big would they have been?  Look at their sales.  They were huge.  In the end my thought on their attitudes mean squat but it did for me and in the end Kurt's attitude lead him to miss his career,  wife and child. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #399 on: August 18, 2015, 06:12:44 PM »
Guns N' Roses imploded on their own; grunge had nothing to do with it.

And let's remember that for all of the grunge craze, the biggest band in the world in the early 90s was still U2.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #400 on: August 18, 2015, 07:18:35 PM »

I agree that they imploded on their own but I think you are playing down the effect Grunge had on hard rock.

And let's remember that for all of the grunge craze, the biggest band in the world in the early 90s was still U2.

All roads lead to U2 :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #401 on: August 18, 2015, 09:00:00 PM »

I agree that they imploded on their own but I think you are playing down the effect Grunge had on hard rock.

Well, maybe new legit hard rock bands were harder to come by in the 90s, but most hard rock mainstays (ones that predated the grunge explosion in 1991) did just fine in the 90s, and the ones that didn't, didn't because they failed on their own (see: VH was still huge from 1990-1996, but flopped after Hagar left because of circumstances that had nothing to do with grunge).

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #402 on: August 18, 2015, 09:16:12 PM »
Besides Everlong (which I wouldn't mind never hearing again) I haven't liked anything the Foo Fighters have ever released, singlewise.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #403 on: August 18, 2015, 10:19:01 PM »

Definitely that. They lost steam because none of their albums after AFD were even half as good, and Axl was a control freak who drove everyone out of the band. Grunge had no part in their demise.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #404 on: August 18, 2015, 10:41:15 PM »
Use Your Illusions had some good moments. Ang songs like November Rain and Estranged were big.

Calvin6s

« Reply #405 on: August 18, 2015, 10:43:35 PM »
But I think we can all agree what killed Grunge.
Courtney Love

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #406 on: August 18, 2015, 10:44:45 PM »
Use Your Illusions had some good moments. Ang songs like November Rain and Estranged were big.

Several great songs, but it shouldn't have been a double album.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #407 on: August 18, 2015, 11:45:27 PM »

Several great songs, but it shouldn't have been a double album.

I agree. Can we have the Use Your Illusions classic album post now?  :rollin

Just kidding, Kev.  :D

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #408 on: August 19, 2015, 08:25:21 AM »

All the song they wrote made them a hugely popular band at the time.

Cobain's suicide transformed him into a god, and definitely cemented the band's status as legends.

Not sure how old you are, but I lived through it.  That's exactly what happened.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #409 on: August 19, 2015, 08:37:54 AM »
I wasn't a *huge* Nirvana fan - but I owned Nevermind. And I was about 15 when Kurt shot himself. I think my reaction was " oh ".

I clearly remember telling my friend in school around 94 or 95 to remember the name " Foo Fighters " because they were going to be big.

Oh how I wish I had proof of that :lol

But yeah - there was proper hysteria when it happened. The unplugged album - literally everyone I knew had that CD and played it to death.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #410 on: August 19, 2015, 08:39:39 AM »

Cobain's suicide transformed him into a god, and definitely cemented the band's status as legends.

Not sure how old you are, but I lived through it.  That's exactly what happened.

Yeah, the guy wrote goddamn In Utero and Nevermind after all, who guess how many more great albums and songs he could wrote if he stayed alive.

But, yeah, i don't agree their other albums are viewed as greats just because of Nevermind, the suicide and whatever.

Why not?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 08:55:56 AM by Outcrier »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #411 on: August 19, 2015, 09:05:16 AM »

Yeah, the guy wrote goddamn In Utero and Nevermind after all, who guess how many more great albums and songs he could wrote if he stayed alive.

Well judging by the stuff on With The Lights Out - not a great deal.

And NME says he has a "solo album" due out in November. If there was anything decent in the supposed massive archive - it would have come out by now - not 21 years later...

My guess is the "solo album" will be 10 strung together , badly recorded bits and pieces of half baked ideas put out for $.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #412 on: August 19, 2015, 09:18:20 AM »
With the whole "how much did death affect popularity?" discussion, I think it definitely plays a huge part. Whether it's Kurt Cobain killing himself, Jeff Buckley drowning or Elvis Presley taking an overdose. Nobody can take away what they made musically, but I think people in general get very affected by death, and we're very good at uniting over it. Similar to how a death in the family can unite the rest and make them stronger, I think a musician dying can have a similar affect and unite a lot of people over their appreciation for said artist. I don't think it's as simple as saying "he died, that's the reason they're big" (as in the ONLY reason), but I do think it plays a significant part. Maybe they would have been just as big if they were still around now, maybe they would be even bigger, but we won't know.

A lot of musicians die and their music fade away though, so to become iconic you must have done something that resonated with people.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #413 on: August 19, 2015, 09:20:28 AM »
I know for a fact ( ok well..not a FACT ) that Nirvana wouldn't have lasted much longer. Kurt was in too much pain and Butch said he screamed so much when tracking vocals

that he could only manage three takes A DAY before his voice was completely shot.

That couldn't have lasted.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #414 on: August 19, 2015, 10:08:28 AM »
I would just like to say that Elvis didn't achieve his level of popularity because of his death.  He was already more popular than Jesus, Moses, and all the saints.  No one was ever bigger than Elvis.

And THEN he died.

I think the phenomenon we are talking about propels YOUNG artists to legend status when they die, not older, established artists.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #415 on: August 19, 2015, 10:21:42 AM »
And Kurt was a member of the 27 club - which has it's own special status.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #416 on: August 19, 2015, 10:54:27 AM »
Nobody can take away what they made musically,

This is what i'm talking about, nigga  :lol
The way i see it, most musicians that died young and are considered legends did "had" the music to back the claim.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #417 on: August 19, 2015, 11:38:26 AM »

That is making hef's point.  That kind of "Just think what he could have done had he not died" thinking just adds to the legend.  Same thing with Randy Rhoads.

Why not?

Neither Use Your Illusion has any chance of being featured in this thread.  Not gonna happen.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #418 on: August 19, 2015, 11:54:40 AM »
Nobody can take away what they made musically,

This is what i'm talking about, nigga  :lol
The way i see it, most musicians that died young and are considered legends did "had" the music to back the claim.

I agree that you have to have good music to still be popular after death.  No one talks about musicians that have died that are not at a famous level for what ever reason.  But dying does elevate that status to another level.

And Hef is right.  When you have to rent whole movie theaters or rent an amusement park for a day, you are already god like and that was Elvis.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #419 on: August 19, 2015, 11:57:57 AM »
They did pretty well commercially and weren't bad or anything (on the contrary). Just don't see why Come on Over can be featured and Use Your Illusion no.

But, if you don't want feature them, i'm not gonna discuss that. Besides, i don't want to be scolded again, plz  :'(
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 12:26:55 PM by Outcrier »