Author Topic: 90s Classic Albums (Featuring: Matchbox Twenty)  (Read 24525 times)

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: 90s Classic Albums (Featuring: Dream Theater)
« Reply #280 on: August 13, 2015, 04:03:13 PM »
their drummer jump shipped and they basically fell into infinity

fixed it

Calvin6s

« Reply #281 on: August 13, 2015, 05:09:19 PM »
I remember these guys.  One hit wonder, right?  What ever happened to them?

Can of worms opened.  Time to start arguing about what constitutes a hit.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #282 on: August 13, 2015, 05:33:41 PM »
My favorite Dream Theater album, and in my top 3 all time favorite albums.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #283 on: August 13, 2015, 06:31:51 PM »
If I was to hear DT for the first time today, particularly their earlier work, I wouldn’t be able to turn it off fast enough. I never liked WDADU, I don’t like ACOS, and I don’t think I could sit through Awake anymore if I tried.

But I put on IAW a month or so back, and thought, you know what, you are my ugly duckling.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #284 on: August 13, 2015, 07:29:37 PM »
It's not one of their best albums

Wait Whut?!  :eek

I definitely hold Awake, Scenes From a Memory, 8VM, FII, and Six Degrees higher. I&W would be a solid nr6 though.
FTFM.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #285 on: August 13, 2015, 08:58:20 PM »

DT answered that themselves with t g e greatest hit. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Calvin6s

« Reply #286 on: August 14, 2015, 12:17:44 AM »

DT answered that themselves with t g e greatest hit. :lol

That's awesome.  I'm going to declare I have two hits.  I'm now officially more awesome than Dream Theatre and their damn squealies. 

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #287 on: August 14, 2015, 08:25:22 AM »
Prog metal masterpiece. For its time, highly original. It was such a huge influence on me, I left my current band to go find another which "excited me as much as this band does" as I put it.

I cannot write anything objective about it since it's so personal and means so much to me.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 90s Classic Albums (Featuring: Eric Clapton)
« Reply #288 on: August 14, 2015, 06:57:43 PM »

It's not often that a live album is a true classic, but Eric Clapton's Unplugged certainly fits the bill.  Much of that stems from the emotionally gripping rendition of "Tears in Heaven," while Clapton's reputation as a guitar maestro has a lot to do with it as well.  I have never been that big of a Clapton fan, but I will give him his due, especially in regards to this record.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #289 on: August 14, 2015, 09:09:48 PM »
Tears in Heaven is still playing in FM stations here in the Philippines. We love this song.

Calvin6s

« Reply #290 on: August 14, 2015, 09:41:03 PM »
I never really got into Clapton.  And being a guitarist, there was a push to get into him.  I get Layla and his guesting on While My Guitar Gently Weeps.  But I was never even slightly in the Tears in Heaven bandwagon.  Didn't touch me at all.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #291 on: August 15, 2015, 05:41:03 AM »

It's not often that a live album is a true classic, but Eric Clapton's Unplugged certainly fits the bill.  Much of that stems from the emotionally gripping rendition of "Tears in Heaven," while Clapton's reputation as a guitar maestro has a lot to do with it as well.  I have never been that big of a Clapton fan, but I will give him his due, especially in regards to this record.
Definitely one of my favorite Clapton albums.

I love his stuff with John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers, Cream, and Derek & the Dominoes, but a lot of his later stuff doesn't quite work for me.  This album was a return to greatness for Clapton IMO, and it was a huge hit.  I still listen to every now and then.

I love the new (old) version of Layla, and also Running on Faith.  Great versions of everything on here.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #292 on: August 15, 2015, 06:02:10 AM »
This album just seemed to be everywhere when I was younger, guess its testament to how good it is, but I never dug it too much.  I probably prefer younger Clapton, but even then I'm still kind of on the fence.  No denying his talent, or this albums classicity.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #293 on: August 15, 2015, 06:57:17 AM »
I never really got into Clapton.  And being a guitarist, there was a push to get into him.  I get Layla and his guesting on While My Guitar Gently Weeps.  But I was never even slightly in the Tears in Heaven bandwagon.  Didn't touch me at all.
This. I mean Cream is alright but I just never admired Clapton and thought he was one of the greats.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: August 15, 2015, 07:39:09 AM »
His 80'son output was better than his 90's.  It's weird. I owned all his studio outputs but never bought this album.  I think MTV wore it out for me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 90s Classic Albums (Featuring: Nirvana)
« Reply #295 on: August 15, 2015, 11:15:21 PM »

I'll admit that I did not care for Nirvana at all when this album dropped and became the rave everywhere, and the constant talk about them being so great made it even more nauseating.  I mean, this is pretty good stuff, but all-time great?  Nah.  I didn't see it then, and I don't see it now.  Nevermind, to me, is a solid record; no more, no less.  I'm sure that some will tell me I am nuts, but that is fine. I never was a big fan of the alt rock and grunge movements of the 90s, and Nirvana was one of the main acts to get that ball rolling, so they are largely responsible for some of the utter shit that came out of that decade.  If that is the impact and influence it left, congratulations. ;)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #296 on: August 15, 2015, 11:23:13 PM »
Contrary to popular opinion, grunge did not begin here.    Grunge peaked and ended here.    It was all downhill after this. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #297 on: August 15, 2015, 11:41:07 PM »
The opener is fantastic, while the rest of the album is pretty mediocre, with weak vocal lines and boring riffs. The drumming is excellent tho.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #298 on: August 15, 2015, 11:51:23 PM »
Smells Like Teen Spirit is a very cool song, but I think In Bloom is much better. And possibly Drain You as well.

The praise for this album has quietened in the last ten years. It was essentially sacrilege to challenge its quality for a long time because of Cobain's suicide. I remember people used to talk about Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and Kurt Cobain jamming together in heaven, as if (and I say this as a fan of Nirvana) Cobain deserves to be mentioned in the same sentence as those other guitarists.

There are still those to whom this album is one of the holy grails of rock though, my brother being one.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #299 on: August 16, 2015, 12:09:22 AM »
Hm, Nevermind... Probably the most praised album that i never cared too much about although i recognize it has some great songs on it but overall, yeah, not my cup of tea.

I remember people used to talk about Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and Kurt Cobain jamming together in heaven, as if (and I say this as a fan of Nirvana) Cobain deserves to be mentioned in the same sentence as those other guitarists.

That used to bug me too, when i saw lists of best guitarists and Kurt Cobain was there at the top. Now i realize that's probably due to his songwriting rather than guitar skills.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #300 on: August 16, 2015, 12:20:44 AM »
Nirvana is a band I've just never cared for, and probably never will.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #301 on: August 16, 2015, 01:12:51 AM »
Contrary to popular opinion, grunge did not begin here.    Grunge peaked and ended here.    It was all downhill after this.

It was all downhill from here? I guess Superunknown and Dirt are steps down from Nevermind, huh?

As for those who can not appreciate this album, I think it is a generational thing. Nevermind was like a rallying call against the flamboyance and elitism of 80s rock and metal. It embodies the angst and the attitude of our generation. Just like Jagged Little Pill, if you judge it with 1980s lens, you won't get it.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #302 on: August 16, 2015, 01:22:13 AM »
I judge everything with an 80's lens mate :lol  I was only 15-16yo at the start of the 90's so it's not like I was "past it" or anything but I spent most of the 90's tracking down the few rare surviving artists that brought together the better elements of the 80's .  The sudden and dramatic change in the "rock" landscape just didn't resonate with me at all.  That generally meant finding bands that sold well in Japanese and Scandi markets.......those that never totally ditched the 80's rock and metal scene.

I said earlier that RHCP drove me nuts around the pool table at college with Under The Bridge on the radio every 10 mins..................well the song they alternated with it was Smells Like Teen Spirit.

If I hadn't heard it to death I may not mind it , but I grew to hate it through massive over exposure and never really checked out the album. 

Oh well - Nevermind  :P

PS........liked the Clapton album for a relaxing listen.  I grew up on some of his 80's stuff via my Dad.........albums like August and so on where he was touring with Phil Collins in his band etc...   Diehard Clapton fans seem to hate that era but I quite liked it.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 02:14:54 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #303 on: August 16, 2015, 01:40:26 AM »
I liked Teen Spirit when I was young as much as anything else, had it taped off TV and used to listen to it a lot. It was right in my era much more than any of the 70s/80s music I listen to now, which I was not exposed to as a kid. But depressing angsty music just does nothing for me. I don't like the "attitude" and the music doesn't interest me.

And it also loses more points for getting a generation of kiddies spelling "never mind" wrong. :biggrin:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #304 on: August 16, 2015, 03:15:26 AM »
I've always hated Nirvana, but "Teen Spirit" was one of their more tolerable songs, although I wouldn't mind never hearing it again. The only good thing out of Nirvana were their cover songs from the unplugged show they did.

Not sure if Heart Shaped Box was one this album, but that and Soundgarden's Black Hole Sun was torture to my ears as a kid. So annoying.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #305 on: August 16, 2015, 03:21:23 AM »
I hope DTF members who like this would show up so that I won't feel alone.  :rollin

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #306 on: August 16, 2015, 03:40:25 AM »
I hope DTF members who like this would show up so that I won't feel alone.  :rollin
Hello. Although I can see how anyone can hate this album due to the overplayed Teen Spirit. But it's a pretty damn good album imo,although In Utero is way better. The songs are really well written but my main problem is the production. It's a little too clean imo and the rawness of In Utero is probably why I prefer it. Also I'm glad this album exists cause it killed the glam/hair metal scene which someone had to do anyways. Also,I prefer Siamese Dream.  :biggrin:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #307 on: August 16, 2015, 04:01:06 AM »
Also I'm glad this album exists cause it killed the glam/hair metal scene which someone had to do anyways.

No, it didn't. I'd say it was record labels jumping on the fad that killed it.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 04:06:10 AM by BlobVanDam »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #308 on: August 16, 2015, 04:24:22 AM »
Some big songs on this album but it just wasn't what I was looking for at the time.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #309 on: August 16, 2015, 04:33:25 AM »
Also I'm glad this album exists cause it killed the glam/hair metal scene which someone had to do anyways.

Which fad are we talking about here,grunge or hair metal?

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #310 on: August 16, 2015, 04:42:09 AM »

that still sounds like the album had a hand in killing the scene. and rightly so. 

I've always hated Nirvana, but "Teen Spirit" was one of their more tolerable songs, although I wouldn't mind never hearing it again. The only good thing out of Nirvana were their cover songs from the unplugged show they did.

Not sure if Heart Shaped Box was one this album, but that and Soundgarden's Black Hole Sun was torture to my ears as a kid. So annoying.

That was on In Utero and these are two fantastic songs. 

Anyways, good album, great songwriting, production is a bit much but I think they corrected that with In Utero a little bit.   

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #311 on: August 16, 2015, 04:43:50 AM »
Grunge.  And then it was finding all the female acts that were big.  The things about fads is the great bands last after the fad goes away.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #312 on: August 16, 2015, 05:01:17 AM »
I could probably die a little happier if I never heard Heart-Shaped Box again between now and then.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #313 on: August 16, 2015, 05:14:46 AM »

Which fad are we talking about here,grunge or hair metal?

Grunge. Rock bands had to either jump on the bandwagon or get rock-blocked. One pop rock got replaced with another.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #314 on: August 16, 2015, 05:39:22 AM »
I don't really care for Nevermind, although I used to like three of four tracks from it, the only song I still like from Nirvana is Heart-Shaped Box from the album In Utero.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.