Author Topic: 90s Classic Albums (Featuring: Matchbox Twenty)  (Read 24576 times)

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Re: 90s Classic Albums (Featuring: Red Hot Chili Peppers)
« Reply #245 on: August 12, 2015, 04:55:11 PM »
I think my main problem is Anthony Kiedis, he just seems so full of himself, and vocally he's not too interesting either.

yep. this guy... he gets it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 90s Classic Albums (Featuring: Dream Theater)
« Reply #246 on: August 12, 2015, 05:12:43 PM »

First off, THIS IS TO DISCUSS THIS ALBUM, NOT DEBATE OVER WHICH DT ALBUMS ARE BETTER, MORE CLASSIC, ETC.

Now, on to Images and Words.  I remember being blown to shreds when I heard "Pull Me Under" on the radio in late 1992/early 1993 (hard to remember exactly when).  To me, it was like the 80s band Europe on steroids and with more balls: hard rocking band with an operatic singer and a cool use of keyboards in a dramatic way. Then I heard "Take the Time" and I just had to get the CD.  Side 2 was kind of a blur at first, but I just remember being amazed at how BIG the whole thing sounded.  It was so unique and so original.  Little did I know then that Dream Theater would become one of my three favorite all-time bands, still being going strong 20+ years later, and that I'd be in my 15th year of posting on some variation of their "official" internet forum.  Seems like so long ago.  Oh yeah, because it was.  This album is an unquestioned classic, basically jump starting the prog metal genre (for better or for worse :lol).  To this day, "Take the Time," "Surrounded," "Learning to Live" and "Metropolis" are all some of my favorite songs by anybody, and the other songs are all great, as well. This album rules. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #247 on: August 12, 2015, 05:23:12 PM »

Now, on to Images and Words.  I remember being blown to shreds when I heard "Pull Me Under" on the radio in late 1992This album rules. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

This ................although I dislike more "prog" than I like,  this album just hit that sweet spot for me where melody , heaviness and musicianship meet and create perfection.

#2 on my DTF Top 50 albums and could easily have been #1 if I had used slightly different criteria.

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #248 on: August 12, 2015, 05:28:33 PM »
Great album. Much MUCH better than awake.  :yawn: - upon which I like the opening three songs and that's it.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #249 on: August 12, 2015, 05:30:50 PM »
Pf, it should have been Falling into Infinity...

So, Images and Words eh? Surely one of the best albums prog metal (at least, the kind that DT does) offered since its inception.

I remember that, after hearing some songs like Dance of Eternity, ITPOE and Octavarium, Metropolis here and this entire album was what definitely sold me on their music and prog in general which, in turn, made me more open minded to other genres afterwards and that's one of the reasons i will always be grateful to it and Dream Theater.                                           
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 05:39:23 PM by Outcrier »
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #250 on: August 12, 2015, 05:57:58 PM »
 :heart

I've told this story so many times, but for this... I shall tell it again:

I had a penpal up in Maryland back in the late 1980s/1990s who highly recommended Images and Words to me. She was a pretty darn good artist/writer, and she'd told me that I&W helped her to focus while she would paint. I of course was intrigued (she and I were both pretty die hard metal heads and had similar tastes in other music as well) and got I&W around the same time that I'd gotten the first album featured in this thread (AiC's Dirt). After I'd gotten I&W, I'd started to hear "Pull Me Under" on Z-Rock (RIP) and that just sealed the deal for me.

23 years later, I&W still stands the test of time. I'm not going to reveal where I rank it (I need to get my name back on the Top 50 albums list lol) but I&W is a TOTAL win. Still.

Favorite songs:  that one called... ALL OF THEM  :biggrin:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #251 on: August 12, 2015, 06:09:43 PM »
False. Images & Words is not a song. It's a suite :neverusethis:

Calvin6s

« Reply #252 on: August 12, 2015, 06:34:27 PM »
This album was so jarring that I recorded myself talking to a friend and then transcribed it for posterity.

C: This could be metal at any moment--I'm just warning everybody.

R: Either that or it could build up into a power ballad.

C: I feel like we might have to excuse ourselves here for a second. We might have to leave.

R: This is one of those guitar sounds that when he hits a note, about a million lights jump up on his guitar rig.

C: Any minute now there is gonna be a squealy.

R: Is this, like, Queensryche?

C: If it is, let's turn it off right away because I hate that band.

R: Hate it. This is the kind of music you listen to right when you start to get your pubic hairs.

C: I can't even be fair to this music, I hate it so bad. I can't even sit through one song. I know I'm not being fair but I think it is complete garbage. That sort of guitar playing is just stupid.

R: If I want to hear a metal band I really like old Black Sabbath and Soundgarden, heavy bands with brains. If I were listening to an angry metal band I would be more into Rage Against the Machine or Sugar. I like that Sugar record a lot, I like Sonic Youth a lot. That's heavy, guitar based music that I listen to.

C: Playing fast for the sake of fast is hideous. I hate that whole mentality of sitting around playing scales and cock-rock crap.

R: I heard some squealies. I don't really like that sound either. I'm not into those guitar sounds. When I hear that stuff I get feeling squeamish.

That was Dream Theater.

C: We'll remember not to buy that record. I bet they have really nice hair... now I'm being mean.

R: This is just our opinion. There's a lot of people that like Dream Theater and that's fine. They get off on it--good for them. They'll probably hate us, maybe they won't.

C: They probably do because we sound like we're playing sloppy. But that's alright, that's a different thing. We're just coming from a different space.

R: In no way do we condemn this sort of music. These people have a right to exist.

C: Just keep it the hell away from us.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #253 on: August 12, 2015, 06:47:00 PM »
Never heard of them.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #254 on: August 12, 2015, 06:57:18 PM »
^beat me to it you goddamn guy.

*snip*

Is that that Blind Melon interview?

Yeah classic album, no doubt.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #255 on: August 12, 2015, 06:57:42 PM »
This album was so jarring that I recorded myself talking to a friend and then transcribed it for posterity.

C: This could be metal at any moment--I'm just warning everybody.

R: Either that or it could build up into a power ballad.

C: I feel like we might have to excuse ourselves here for a second. We might have to leave.

R: This is one of those guitar sounds that when he hits a note, about a million lights jump up on his guitar rig.

C: Any minute now there is gonna be a squealy.

R: Is this, like, Queensryche?

C: If it is, let's turn it off right away because I hate that band.

R: Hate it. This is the kind of music you listen to right when you start to get your pubic hairs.

C: I can't even be fair to this music, I hate it so bad. I can't even sit through one song. I know I'm not being fair but I think it is complete garbage. That sort of guitar playing is just stupid.

R: If I want to hear a metal band I really like old Black Sabbath and Soundgarden, heavy bands with brains. If I were listening to an angry metal band I would be more into Rage Against the Machine or Sugar. I like that Sugar record a lot, I like Sonic Youth a lot. That's heavy, guitar based music that I listen to.

C: Playing fast for the sake of fast is hideous. I hate that whole mentality of sitting around playing scales and cock-rock crap.

R: I heard some squealies. I don't really like that sound either. I'm not into those guitar sounds. When I hear that stuff I get feeling squeamish.

That was Dream Theater.

C: We'll remember not to buy that record. I bet they have really nice hair... now I'm being mean.

R: This is just our opinion. There's a lot of people that like Dream Theater and that's fine. They get off on it--good for them. They'll probably hate us, maybe they won't.

C: They probably do because we sound like we're playing sloppy. But that's alright, that's a different thing. We're just coming from a different space.

R: In no way do we condemn this sort of music. These people have a right to exist.

C: Just keep it the hell away from us.

Wasn't this Howard Stern or someone?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #256 on: August 12, 2015, 06:58:58 PM »
I'll never forget it.   It was October of 1992, and I had just been hired on at Tower Records.   This guy played this CD and I said, "Wait...dude...is that Fates Warning???"

The first couple of spins, I thought they were such big FW ripoff that I was a bit dismissive.   But by the third spin I was absolutely hooked.   This other guy and me played the album *constantly*.   It got to the point that all the other employees hated Dream Theater, and hated us for constantly playing the album over and over again.   ....but every time we played it, we sold one.    Pretty soon, the guy had to start ordering more copies because we kept pushing it on people.     Then we started bugging the radio station...   The rest is history. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Calvin6s

« Reply #257 on: August 12, 2015, 08:34:46 PM »
Wasn't this Howard Stern or someone?

It is the infamous Blind Melon debacle.

I almost thought DT was going to be left off the list because I've talked so much about my love for I&W in the past that a simple "love it" is enough for me these days.  (crap, that isn't a swipe at KevShmev ...  I'd just be surprised to see more than 1 or 2 "didn't dig it" comments on this classic on this forum)

The first couple of spins, I thought they were such big FW ripoff that I was a bit dismissive.   
My thoughts were more along the lines that DT took everything I loved about FW/QR and added everything FW/QR were missing.

My other thought was disappointment that this was exactly the musical direction I was heading and now I'm just gonna be a DT-like band.  It was one of the many reasons I decided pro-musician just wasn't the path for me.

Pretty soon, the guy had to start ordering more copies because we kept pushing it on people.     Then we started bugging the radio station...   The rest is history. 

So you made all this happen?

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #258 on: August 12, 2015, 08:48:29 PM »
What’s Dream Theater, precious?

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #259 on: August 12, 2015, 09:02:58 PM »
A friend of mine bought this album just because of the band's name, which has epic written all over it. He told me to listen to Metropolis Pt. 1, and I was blown away. I have never heard anything like it. This is around 1996/1997. I have been a DT fan ever since.

As I grew up, Images and Words fell down in my ranking of favorite albums. I guess because the 1990s is really my formative years in high school and college, Awake really just spoke to me more in terms of spirit and musical style. I&W just felt like an album written before MY time. Still love the epic feel I get fron the album. I just can't get the emotional connection.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #260 on: August 12, 2015, 09:13:38 PM »

So you made all this happen?

I do NOT take credit for their national explosion.   MTV was responsible for that 100%.   But I would like to think that the pushed sales from myself and my friend, along with both of us continuing to pester the local radio station...not just with requests, but with strong insistence that we could barely keep the CD in stock because everyone that heard it adored it so much...helped give the local rock station the push to start playing PMU in regular rotation *in my locale*.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #261 on: August 12, 2015, 10:02:04 PM »
I knew the song Pull Me Under and had heard it on the radio many times, but I didn't know who the band was.

So in May 1995 it really all began for me. I picked up the cassette tape I recall after seeing some comparisons and suggestions on the Rush newsgroup I read. Learning to Live was the song that caught my ear the most.

Calvin6s

« Reply #262 on: August 12, 2015, 11:23:08 PM »
So in May 1995 it really all began for me. I picked up the cassette tape

I thought cassette albums were illegal in 1995.  Cassettes were for mini-TASCAM type studios and your bands demo in 1995.   :police:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #263 on: August 13, 2015, 12:02:45 AM »
What needs to be said about IaW on a DT forum? Damn near perfection.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #264 on: August 13, 2015, 12:16:21 AM »
Still my favourite DT album, and a masterpiece.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #265 on: August 13, 2015, 01:07:04 AM »
This album took some time getting into for me. I remember a guy at my work having it on tape and playing it. I was intrigued, but didn't think anything of it.
Remember seeing the clip for Pull me under on tv and liking it. Then I met an ex which had the WDADU on lp and I&W and Awake  on cd. She played me some songs from them and I really liked it.
But she also had cd's by Savatage and Psychotic Waltz, so she was real cool.  But it still took until Metropolis pt. II to come out until I became a fan and bought all of their cd's over a short period of time. Were really talking about a period of about 6 or 7 years here before I became a real fan of their music.

The magic of I&W off course (besides the strenght of the compositions) is in the balance. The 'big' songs are fantastic, but it wouldn't have worked without the 'small' songs i.e. Another day, Wait for Sleep and Surrounded. Those small songs in my opinion, is what makes this album so inpeccable. They might seem unimportant in the whole, but in the end for me they're what make the difference.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: August 13, 2015, 01:12:41 AM »

But she also had cd's by Savatage and Psychotic Waltz

Will PM you  :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #267 on: August 13, 2015, 01:20:14 AM »
It's not one of their best albums, but it is a very solid one. Under a Glass Moon, Learning to Live and Metropolis are all great tracks.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #268 on: August 13, 2015, 01:21:13 AM »
So in May 1995 it really all began for me. I picked up the cassette tape

I thought cassette albums were illegal in 1995.  Cassettes were for mini-TASCAM type studios and your bands demo in 1995.   :police:

I have DT cassette tapes until Train of Thought. :P

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #269 on: August 13, 2015, 01:25:55 AM »
It's not one of their best albums

Wait Whut?!  :eek
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline mrrct

« Reply #270 on: August 13, 2015, 07:03:41 AM »
It's on my short list for greatest albums of all time, by any artist.  'Nuff said.

Online T-ski

« Reply #271 on: August 13, 2015, 08:34:04 AM »
I&W is the starting point for every "what type of music do you listen to?" discussion I've had for the last 20+ years.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #272 on: August 13, 2015, 09:11:54 AM »
shame about them triggers tho

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #273 on: August 13, 2015, 09:15:21 AM »
shame about them triggers tho

Tumbrinas give new (even worse) meaning to triggers.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #274 on: August 13, 2015, 10:24:13 AM »
The album that changed my life.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #275 on: August 13, 2015, 10:26:32 AM »
Never heard this album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #276 on: August 13, 2015, 11:27:50 AM »
I love this album still. I still think that Learning To Live has the best fade out ever btw.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #277 on: August 13, 2015, 11:31:22 AM »
It's not one of their best albums

Wait Whut?!  :eek

I definitely hold Awake, Scenes From a Memory and Six Degrees higher. I&W would be a solid nr4 though.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #278 on: August 13, 2015, 01:35:27 PM »
I remember these guys.  One hit wonder, right?  What ever happened to them?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #279 on: August 13, 2015, 03:57:34 PM »
their drummer jump shipped and they basically faded into obscurity