Author Topic: Bolsters™ The Roulette ★THE CONCLUSION★  (Read 33215 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Bolsters™ The Roulette ★THE CONCLUSION, PART ONE★
« Reply #350 on: August 26, 2015, 07:28:05 AM »
You're a horrible person for ranking Duran Duran > Seventh Wonder.

You're absolutely spot on to rank Animotion at the bottom of my heap.

Congrats to the Rusky.  Funny how your best song didn't even win!  I guess that makes the Amorphis track the best submission in the roulette?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #351 on: August 26, 2015, 07:31:01 AM »
I guess that makes the Amorphis track the best submission in the roulette?
I wouldn't put too much stock in those rankings, I absolutely suck at things like that. Which is why you will never see a Bolsters™ Top 50 Albums thread. My mind just doesn't work in absolutes like that when it comes to music.

I kept changing my mind about how some of your songs would rank but I didn't want to change them and confuse people.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #352 on: August 26, 2015, 08:44:53 AM »
So, that's the end of my first roulette. I enjoyed running this and my hope is that you guys enjoyed participating, despite some troubles a lot of you had along the way. :( I want to thank all of you for participating and sending me music. Each and every one of you sent great stuff and I'm going to be spending a lot of my time for the next few months exploring the artists that I discovered here.

So let's get the ball rolling shall we? In last place we have...

PARAMA

You had a hard time for almost the entire roulette and I am sorry for that. But someone has to come last unfortunately and this time it just happens to be you. I did get some really good songs from you however so you were still successful as far as I'm concerned, and a few of your tracks that received no reward I will still explore the artists further. There is actually a prize for coming in last place, and it is this balloon. Thanks for playing! :tup

In third place we have...

Although you had a few misses, you landed enough hits to take third place - and deservedly so, because some of the best tracks I received in the roulette were from you. Sampo, Gutter Ballet, and Justice For Saint Mary in particular were the standouts, but I'll be exploring other artists you sent further aswell. Thanks for playing and congratulations!

Coming in second is...

You were easily one of the most consistent players and so it's no surprise that you should come in second. You had a long winning streak going at one point, with four consecutive wins consisting of a single gold star and three silver ones. You also won the most matchups of any contestant (tied with Shadow Ninja), winning five of the seven. Thanks for playing and congratulations!

And in a (not surprising at all) twist the winner of the roulette is...

Evermind was on a rampage and no one was able to stop him. Not only was he the only player to receive more than one gold star, he actually collected four of them - and there were only seven in total, which makes this feat all the more impressive. Not only that, one of his best songs was awarded pink in the first round, but that didn't slow down his conquest in the slightest. Being able to consistently impress enough to get gold so often assured your victory, and many of the artists you sent are among the first I will explore starting...well, why not RIGHT NOW. Thanks for playing and congratulations! :hefdaddy

As for the rest of you, a sincere well done is in order for each of you. While some of you may have struggled to impress a few times more than the others, each and every one of you sent some great stuff aswell, so don't be too disappointed with your performance. I always consider myself successful if I get the host into a number of new artists even if I don't win, and all of you have done that here. Thanks for being a part of this roulette, and I hope you enjoyed participating as much as I enjoyed having you. :2metal:

So, I bet you're all wondering what those damned stars are worth, right? I wouldn't be surprised if some of you skipped all that shit about who won just to get down to here. Well, here's the table I kept and used to tally your scores for the roulette, which should tell you everything you need to know.

The forum is resizing these images due to their width, so just click on them to make them less blurry.

It would appear that I may have underestimated some of your mathmatical skills however, as the hints I have a few hours ago were enough for Elite to figure it all out. :rollin I think Evermind figured it out first though, as he posted 11-7-5-3 before making a ninja edit and removing it, possibly because he realised how close that was and didn't want to spoil the surprise. I am very curious to know how you got the values from just the totals I gave.

As for why they are valued the way they are...my reasoning was that each star should be worth slightly less than two of the star below it. I started with 7 for the silver star chosen for no particular reason at all and went from there. Originally (when I conceived this idea and constructed it several months ago), the gold star had a value of 13, but I thought this was a bit too far infront of the silver and I wanted to reward consistency as well as the best song of each round, so I brought it down to 11. The pink star was the last addition and at first it was worth only two points following the "worth two of the star below" rule. However, even though I wanted the pink star to be the lowest valued star, I thought two points was fairly low - especially considering the way I wanted to use it - and so it was changed to three points about a week before the roulette started. Although in hindsight, the way the pink star was awarded, it probably should have been between the silver and bronze in value rather than being the lowest. So, there you have it.

At some point during round two or three, I started making these tables because I thought it might be something you guys would be interested in. They are your star tallies and scores, ranked, as of the end of each round. Again, just click them to see them to remove the blur.

Whelp, that's it.

THE END

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Bolsters™ The Roulette ★THE CONCLUSION★
« Reply #353 on: August 26, 2015, 08:53:08 AM »
yeah i mean i knew you don't like post-rock but i sent that anyways why not

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #354 on: August 26, 2015, 08:53:29 AM »
Well run Roulette Dave.  Had a ton of fun in this - even if Angelmaker should've got a pink!  You're still a horrible person.   :rollin

And I think you're right, Pink should've earned more points than Bronze.

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #355 on: August 26, 2015, 09:00:38 AM »
I think Evermind figured it out first though, as he posted 11-7-5-3 before making a ninja edit and removing it, possibly because he realised how close that was and didn't want to spoil the surprise. I am very curious to know how you got the values from just the totals I gave.

I made ninja edit because I realized the scores don't add up to 186 then, and I thought 4 would be too low for bronze and too close to pink, and I also had to go so I didn't have time for figuring it out totally.

I also thought it could be 9-8-4-2, in which case I was screwed with my gold stars and all, so I secretly hoped for 11-7-4-3 setup. :lol

Anyway, four gold stars mean I won more than half rounds in this roulette, so I would humbly say I deserved this win. :angel: And yeah, funny how my best song got me only pink, but that's how head-to-head system sometimes I guess.

Thank you Chad for congratulations and thank you Bolsters for running this. I had a fun time finding the holes in your banned list and I also really liked that star concept. (I might be a bit biased here since I won.) I'm glad you enjoyed most of my entries so much. Have fun exploring those bands. :tup

Oh, and also:

You're a horrible person for ranking Duran Duran > Seventh Wonder.

This big time. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #356 on: August 26, 2015, 09:03:44 AM »
>DJ Shadow
>repetitive
>samples as a bad substitution of rap

I'm done with life :lol

Damnit Evermind, you're on fire. Well done!

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #357 on: August 26, 2015, 09:22:13 AM »
Well run Roulette Dave.  Had a ton of fun in this - even if Angelmaker should've got a pink!  You're still a horrible person.   :rollin
I've never denied this.

>DJ Shadow
>repetitive
>samples as a bad substitution of rap

I'm done with life :lol
I was surprised you sent something like this after I'd slammed so many things for being repetitive. I figured you'd just given up. ;D

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #358 on: August 26, 2015, 09:25:48 AM »
Tbh I've never felt that song was repetitive at all. Just ever changing, adding new things here and there, and finishing where it started.  Btw, this roulette would have been easier for me had you explained a bit more about your tastes :lol.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #359 on: August 26, 2015, 09:30:12 AM »
I remember that DJ Shadow song from my roulette. I didn't like it either.

Also, I don't think winning two roulettes in a row qualifies as "on fire", but thank you anyway. ;D
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #360 on: August 26, 2015, 09:35:03 AM »
Thanks for this excellent roulette. I had a lot of fun participating, even though second place sucks balls :lol

No seriously, this was sincerely one of the best roulettes I've been in, thanks!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #361 on: August 26, 2015, 10:51:38 AM »
I remember that DJ Shadow song from my roulette. I didn't like it either.

Also, I don't think winning two roulettes in a row qualifies as "on fire", but thank you anyway. ;D

Once is an event; twice is a coincidence; thrice is a trend.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #362 on: August 26, 2015, 12:39:49 PM »
Imagine Dragons got quite a bit of radio play over here, but I guess that may not have been the case in Australia.

Anyway, congratulations, Evermind! Also, I'm glad you liked some of my songs, Bolsters, even if I never did top that first submission. :lol

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #363 on: August 26, 2015, 06:15:27 PM »
Imagine Dragons got quite a bit of radio play over here, but I guess that may not have been the case in Australia.
They might have, I wouldn't really know as I don't listen to the radio.