Author Topic: Bolsters™ The Roulette ★THE CONCLUSION★  (Read 33181 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Bolsters™ The Roulette v. How does this work? halp. -SEND ROUND 1-
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2015, 11:03:19 AM »
I don't have a good feel for Bolsters' taste though, it seems pretty all-over-the-place
whereas I pretty much got 425 right off the bat  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2015, 11:30:29 AM »
Hey Rich...

Ehh, am I the only one disturbed by the fact that jingle.boy seems ok with the idea of kicking disabled people?

Only following in your footsteps - https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=32265.msg1284883#msg1284883
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2015, 11:59:25 AM »
Goddammit
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2015, 12:02:29 PM »
Goddammit

I may not have a good memory, but it is long!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2015, 02:24:15 PM »
Busted :lol

Yo Chad, you ready to lose the first round?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2015, 07:55:28 PM »

Sure... But it ain't gonna happen.  I'm kicking your ass, and in a manner that will surprise you.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2015, 09:49:37 PM »
Also sent, to stay on topic. Can't believe that the band wasn't on the list, tbh. (I hope it doesn't get rejected.)
Are you sure we didn't send the same band? Because you just voiced my exact thoughts.
Scorpion: I know I listened to a song or two on Youtube several years ago, but I don't even remember which song(s). So you're good.
Evermind: I have sampled the band you sent aswell and they didn't click (listened in part to two of their albums), but again that was years ago and I haven't heard anything from the same album as your song. So you're good, too.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2015, 02:27:14 AM »

Sure... But it ain't gonna happen.  I'm kicking your ass, and in a manner that will surprise you.

Sent, with my fingers crossed.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2015, 03:52:46 AM »
One person has been asked to resend and another has not sent at all so far (no shaming though, as I said I am not in any hurry for the first round), but I am about to commence listening to submissions where I already have both of the songs in a matchup. :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2015, 08:14:16 PM »
Boy, if that banned list has taught me anything, it's to not post in the 'what album are you listening to' thread in advance of a roulette I plan on participating in.   :lol

Will send shortly.  No guts, no glory.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2015, 09:03:53 PM »
Boy, if that banned list has taught me anything, it's to not post in the 'what album are you listening to' thread in advance of a roulette I plan on participating in.   :lol
Brent called it:

Chad..........influencing ears and then wondering why he can't use the music in roulettes since 2007.   :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2015, 09:42:16 PM »
Brent called it:

Chad..........influencing ears and then wondering why he can't use the music in roulettes since 2007.   :lol

Word.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2015, 10:11:21 PM »
I've listened to each track a few times (some more than others, since I decided to start listening when I had both songs in a matchup). First impressions are quite good. There are three contenders for the receipt of a gold star so far, two of them in one matchup, so unfortunately one will be coming away with only a pink star to show for their efforts. One person failed to hit the mark in a pretty big way, so he's lucky this isn't a score-out-of-ten roulette or he may have never been able to recover. :lol

I'm not going to make any promises about when I will post results, because I know I'll get shit if/when I don't deliver. :lol I'll post 'em when I've got 'em.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Well now you're going to get shit for not setting any deadline for results. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Well now you're going to get shit for not setting any deadline for results. :lol
This. Don't make me bring pics of sad cats.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
aww yes i failed to hit the mark

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
Well if I'm going to get shit either way, I might as well not set any deadlines purely out of spite. :neverusethis:

But seriously, :soon:. I have been jotting down thoughts on the songs from the very first listen, I just want to listen to them several more times so I'm not basing everything on first impressions. Overall because I'm making notes from the first listen and organising them as I go, I'd say you guys can expect a pretty fast turnaround. We'll see.

Hey, this roulette is all about stars not cats.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
This sounds good :)
Squ

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.

That's in my roulettes only  >:(
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
That's in my roulettes only  >:(

No, it's not :neverusethis:

Squ

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

You rang?  :hat
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member

You rang?  :hat

Full results tomorrow, but have some tidbits to tide you over. Make of them what you will.

"One thing that I really like about this song is the way it builds. Starting off with just piano and softly spoken vocals the song slowly creeps up in pace and dynamics"

"Vocally the song starts off strong aswell, with a juxtaposition of high-pitched aaah's and subtle, slightly aggressive yelling in the background"

"I'm a fan of good harmonies, I'm definitely a fan of well-constructed counterpoint, I'm a fan of acapella sections - and this song has plenty of all of those things"

"The drumming in particular has a more modern indie rock vibe to it I think, and so the song is more of a blend of modern indie rock with some older rock influence"

"It has that bouncy bassline, the funky electric guitars, and some soft keys fleshing out the sound"

"I liked the slightly minimalist approach to the drums throughout the song, which I think helped to give it more of an orchestral feel than a rock or metal one"

"I find it especially disappointing that the song was released in 2007 because the production sounds like a subpar 90's electronic track at best"

"Overall this song is very Opeth-esque, but with more variety in the instrumentation and less emphasis on being heavy"

"I still don't really know what the fuck "fedoracore" is supposed to mean"
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 04:48:36 AM by Bolsters »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
If I had to choose which of these I personally think applies the most to the song I sent, I'd go with the 'minimalistic drums, giving it an orchestral feel'. And you said you liked that, which I interpret as a good thing.

Or I could be way off, of course.
Squ

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
"It has that bouncy bassline, the funky electric guitars, and some soft keys fleshing out the sound"

I got a c-note that says this is mine. 

Bonus stars for correct predictions?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Oh, and I noticed you turned off your last.fm scrobbling.  Tricky little fucker, aren't ya?

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
Oh, and I noticed you turned off your last.fm scrobbling.  Tricky little fucker, aren't ya?
:ninja:

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
"I find it especially disappointing that the song was released in 2007 because the production sounds like a subpar 90's electronic track at best"
Well this is mine, no doubt :lol To be fair, that's an intended thing - he wanted to recreate lots of tunes from his teen days. And he was/still is pretty obscure so I guess he just uses his computer and not expensive equipment. Tbh I think it sounds great.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
"The drumming in particular has a more modern indie rock vibe to it I think, and so the song is more of a blend of modern indie rock with some older rock influence"
yarr this is mine

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
Well this is mine, no doubt :lol To be fair, that's an intended thing - he wanted to recreate lots of tunes from his teen days. And he was/still is pretty obscure so I guess he just uses his computer and not expensive equipment. Tbh I think it sounds great.
All I can say then, is that he was successful. :lol I can be a bit of a production-whore in general, but I'm especially picky (and hard to please) when it comes to electronic music. I don't think expensive equipment is necessary, either - just the right amount of effort.

The current writeup for your song is a little scathing and I do feel bad doing it, but I'm not the kind of person to sugarcoat that sort of thing and I want all feedback I give in this roulette to be completely honest. For what it's worth I have every confidence that you will send me great things in this roulette - this song just isn't going to be one of them.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Guess we know what kinda star Shadow Ninja is getting.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Yes...

Now say something bad about jingly's song! :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
All I can say then, is that he was successful. :lol I can be a bit of a production-whore in general, but I'm especially picky (and hard to please) when it comes to electronic music. I don't think expensive equipment is necessary, either - just the right amount of effort.
Damnit :lol . Curious thing, he's pretty famous yet there are few pics of him, nor nobody know where he lives, other than in London. Guess that obscurity made him popular.

Guess we know what kinda star Shadow Ninja is getting.
:'(
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 03:21:26 PM by Sacul »

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
"One thing that I really like about this song is the way it builds. Starting off with just piano and softly spoken vocals the song slowly creeps up in pace and dynamics"

This seems like my song indeed. Starting slowly with the majestic piano riff and then descends into madness with some harsh and borderline growl vocals and weird flute inclusions here and there.

Oh, and if I recall correctly, Elite should know this one indeed. He's the one who's sending it in a lot of roulettes.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.