Author Topic: Your #1 Album from Your Favourite Bands...  (Read 4976 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Your #1 Album from Your Favourite Bands...
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2015, 09:33:33 AM »
Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier

Wow.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline 425

« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2015, 09:35:08 AM »
Yep.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2015, 09:36:40 AM »
Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier

Wow.

Is that anything like choosing The Final Frontier as your favourite Trek movie?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2015, 09:39:05 AM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2015, 09:40:36 AM »
Nothing wrong indeed, I like The Final Frontier too, but #1? That was unexpected for me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2015, 09:41:53 AM »
There are days when it's in my Top 3.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline 425

« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2015, 09:50:04 AM »
There are days when I would consider A Matter of Life and Death, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son or even The Number of the Beast, but for me it always comes back to The Final Frontier. Good to see that I've gotten the approval of the resident Iron Maiden expert.

Is that anything like choosing The Final Frontier as your favourite Trek movie?

As someone who isn't a hardcore Trek fan and doesn't really know the fanbase's opinion on each movie, I'd guess that it's more like choosing Into Darkness. The Final Frontier is Iron Maiden's most recent album and the latest step in a stylistic shift they've been on for the past few albums. The fanbase is pretty much split on whether Maiden's most recent few albums are good or not.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2015, 09:51:35 AM »
I haven't watched Trek. :angel:

I think TFF is good, again, but I would take all three albums you've mentioned over it.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2015, 11:59:37 AM »
Radiohead - OK Computer
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
Steven Wilson - Grace For Drowning
Dream Theater - Images and Words
Megadeth - Peace Sells…But Who's Buying?
Coheed and Cambria - Good Apollo Vol. 1
Death - Symbolic
Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Slayer - Show No Mercy
Thrice - The Illusion of Safety
Iron Maiden - Piece of Mind
The Misfits - Famous Monsters
In Flames - Whoracle
Neil Young - Harvest

Online krands85

« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2015, 02:19:24 PM »
Using the same list from the other thread:

Dream Theater
- Images and Words
Anathema - Probably  We're Here Because We're Here
Opeth - Probably Ghost Reveries
Muse - Origin of Symmetry
Haken - Visions
Deftones - Really hard to choose between Around the Fur, White Pony & Koi No Yokan
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Radiohead - OK Computer
Tesseract - Altered State
Maybeshewill - Not For Want of Trying or I Was Here For a Moment, Then I Was Gone
65daysofstatic - The Destruction of Small Ideas
Tool - Can never decide between 10,000 Days or Lateralus
Symphony X - The Divine Wings of Tragedy
Rage Against the Machine - Rage Against the Machine

I found this much harder than the other thread. There are a few clear favourite albums for some of the bands, but with others, I find it far more difficult to separate their best work.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2015, 03:47:26 PM »

Thats whats so cool about Maiden.  There's no question that every release from Maiden is someone's favourite somewhere.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2015, 03:53:04 PM »

Thats whats so cool about Maiden.  There's no question that every release from Maiden is someone's favourite somewhere.

I could almost see No Prayer being *someone's* favorite if they were really into that sortof approach....and if I were to really squint.

But anyone who thinks VXI is Iron Maiden's single "best album" is out of their freakin minds.   I know there are people who like it, and that's fine.   But favorite?  As a whole album?   Really?    I would think that person had to be trolling. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2015, 03:58:50 PM »

I could almost see No Prayer being *someone's* favorite if they were really into that sortof approach....and if I were to really squint.

But anyone who thinks VXI is Iron Maiden's single "best album" is out of their freakin minds.   I know there are people who like it, and that's fine.   But favorite?  As a whole album?   Really?    I would think that person had to be trolling.

someone somewhere, guaranteed

Offline Riitasointi

« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2015, 03:59:20 PM »
Dream Theater - Images & Words (this was actually tough as hell)
Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time (though A Matter Of Life And Death could well beat it some other day)
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Periphery - Juggernaut: Alpha & Omega
Wintersun - Wintersun
Between The Buried And Me - Colors (hands down)
Stam1na - Viimeinen Atlantis
Metallica - Master Of Puppets
Megadeth - Rust In Peace
The Faceless - Planetary Duality
Death - Symbolic
Insomnium - Shadows Of The Dying Sun
Meshuggah - ObZen
Ghost Brigade - Until Fear No Longer Defines Us
Agalloch - Ashes Against The Grain
Devin Townsend - Addicted
Sum 41 - Chuck
Coldplay - X&Y
Green Day - American Idiot

I've seen some very good lists here! Was kinda suprised how many people consider Mastodon to be one of their favorite bands.

Also, No Prayer For The Dying definitely kicks ass. And Virtual XI sucks  ;D

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2015, 04:07:05 PM »
Also, not exactly favorite bands anymore but still:

Metallica - ...And Justice for All
Iron Maiden - Somewhere in Time
Exodus - Bonded by Blood
Annihilator - Alice in Hell
The Strokes - Is This It
Franz Ferdinand - S/T
Symphony X - The Divine Wings of Tragedy
System of a Down - Toxicity
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2015, 04:09:27 PM »

someone somewhere, guaranteed

Well then someone, somewhere thinks Dedicated to Chaos is Queensryche's all time, flawless, untouchable masterpiece.    Or St. Anger and Lulu are Metallica's crowning achievements.   

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2015, 04:23:43 PM »
Said no one ever.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Riitasointi

« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2015, 04:25:44 PM »
I'm pretty sure there is someone who thinks St. Anger is the best Metallica record.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2015, 04:26:34 PM »
Which just proves that some people drink way too much and/or do way too many drugs.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2015, 04:55:19 PM »
.000000001 of the Metallica fan population?  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline 425

« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2015, 07:04:56 PM »

I'd much more easily believe someone having VXI or NPFTD as their favorite than FOTD. Because FOTD includes several songs that are just pointless. Like The Apparition. And Weekend Warrior, which might qualify as a blight on the Maiden discography (watchoo gonna do on Monday... watchoo gonna do... watchoo gowna do...).
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2015, 09:21:18 PM »
Rush - Moving Pictures
Symphony X - TDWOT
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Chicago - 17
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
Ayreon - 01011001
Anathema - WHBWH
Mastodon - Crack The Skye
Tower of Power - Back To Oakland
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2015, 09:49:24 PM »
I forgot one: Brand New - Daisy
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2015, 10:19:00 PM »

I'd much more easily believe someone having VXI or NPFTD as their favorite than FOTD. Because FOTD includes several songs that are just pointless. Like The Apparition. And Weekend Warrior, which might qualify as a blight on the Maiden discography (watchoo gonna do on Monday... watchoo gonna do... watchoo gowna do...).

In spite of its flaws....I think FOTD is a HUGE improvement over NPFTD.   I honestly cannot listen to a single track on that album.   It's that bad.   That being said, I haven't even picked it up in a decade.    BYDTTS is the *true* blight in IM's catalog.    I can't decide if I hate that song more than TAatG or not. 

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2015, 02:32:24 AM »
Funnily enough, in my teenage angst days I binned my cassette of NPFTD I was so annoyed with how awful I thought it was, particularly Bruce's constipated talk/"singing" on that record, combined with the fact that it was classed as a "double album" so it cost twice as much for the cassette than Seventh Son had (an album I absolutely I adored at the time) and I barely had a bean to my name at that age. If I'd been smarter I'd have tried to sell it to someone...  Probably the most surprising thing about NPFTD is that they managed to release two albums afterwards that sounded even worse.

I do own it on CD these days, but I'd rank it right at the bottom of the Bruce-era(s) albums. I've gotten over the vocals to an extent too, though that's in part because he started singing normally again with the Skunkworks album so I can treat it as a passing phase.

Anyway, my choices:

1) Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime
2) Def Leppard - Hysteria
3) Rush - Grace Under Pressure
4) Devin Townsend - Terria (Addicted pushes it close)
5) The Wildhearts - Fishing For Luckies (fanclub edition, not the one diluted by the extra songs with the terrible cover art)
6) Dream Theater - Scenes From A Memory
7) Type O Negative - World Coming Down
8) Megadeth - So Far, So Good... So What?
9) Iron Maiden - Powerslave

I've left off Scar Symmetry, who're an odd band for me - I love their sound, I've got all their albums, according to Last.FM they're my 10th most listened to artist over the last 8 years... and yet I'm struggling to remember how more than a handful of their songs actually go off the top of my head. They're obviously very much a background music band.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2015, 03:25:30 AM »
Funnily enough, in my teenage angst days I binned my cassette of NPFTD I was so annoyed with how awful I thought it was, particularly Bruce's constipated talk/"singing" on that record, combined with the fact that it was classed as a "double album" so it cost twice as much for the cassette than Seventh Son had (an album I absolutely I adored at the time) and I barely had a bean to my name at that age. If I'd been smarter I'd have tried to sell it to someone...  Probably the most surprising thing about NPFTD is that they managed to release two albums afterwards that sounded even worse.

I do own it on CD these days, but I'd rank it right at the bottom of the Bruce-era(s) albums. I've gotten over the vocals to an extent too, though that's in part because he started singing normally again with the Skunkworks album so I can treat it as a passing phase.

Anyway, my choices:

5) The Wildhearts - Fishing For Luckies (fanclub edition, not the one diluted by the extra songs with the terrible cover art)

I've left off Scar Symmetry, who're an odd band for me - I love their sound, I've got all their albums, according to Last.FM they're my 10th most listened to artist over the last 8 years... and yet I'm struggling to remember how more than a handful of their songs actually go off the top of my head. They're obviously very much a background music band.
Nice :tup It's my 2nd or 3rd Rush album, I love it. I don't see enough praise for it here.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2015, 04:15:24 AM »

Anyway, my choices:

Nice :tup It's my 2nd or 3rd Rush album, I love it. I don't see enough praise for it here.

A top.5 Rush album for me! Red Sector A and The Enemy Within are in my top.10 Rush songs of all time.

Offline mimipetrucci

« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2015, 04:31:54 AM »

Dreamtheater- Images and word

Metallica- Black album

Mr. Big- Big, Bigger, Biggest

Racer X- Superheroes

Joe Satriani- Surfing with the alien

Steve vai- Alien love secret

Led Zeppellin- Physical grafitti

Acdc- Back in black

Eric johnson- ah via musicom

Lacuna coil- Comalies

Animal as leader- Weightless

Devourment- Butcher the weak

Carcass- the heartwork

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2015, 05:29:30 AM »
Marillion - Brave
Dream Theater - SFAM
Rush - Rush In Rio
Iron Maiden - 7Soa7S
Pearl Jam - Ten
Drive By Truckers - The Dirty South
Bruce Springsteen - Darkness on the Edge of Town
Fleetwood Mac - Tusk
Led Zeppelin - 4
Tift Merritt - Tambourine
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2015, 04:51:11 PM »
Dream Theater - SFAM

Transatlantic - The Whirlwind (They're all top notch though)

Porcupine Tree - Deadwing (Ask me tomorrow and it could be pretty much any album except the debut)

Steven Wilson - Hand. Cannot. Erase. (Grace will probably take it back sooner or later)

Neal Morse - Testimony 2 (ask me tomorrow and it could just as well be One)

The Flower Kings - (this one's too tough, probably, Paradox Hotel, Space Revolver or Stardust We Are)

Steve Vai - The Story of Light

Haken - The Mountain

Riverside - Anno Domini High Definition

Blackfield - Blackfield

OSI - Blood

The Mars Volta - De-Loused In the Comatorium

The Aristocrats - The Aristocrats

Pink Floyd - Animals

King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2015, 06:11:03 PM »
I'm pretty sure there is someone who thinks St. Anger is the best Metallica record.
I might be the closest thing to that person you will encounter. I have more interest in St Anger and Lulu than pretty much anything else they’ve done, and if I put on anything by Metallica these days, it’s generally one of those albums, or occasionally Ride the Lightning, a Load/Reload mix, or a general Best Of mix. 

Having said that, I wouldn’t call either their best album.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2015, 06:55:33 PM »
Cynic - Kindly Bent to Free Us
Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused to Sing
Porcupine Tree - Sky Moves Sideways
Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2015, 07:40:14 PM »
I forgot one: Brand New - Daisy
Still haven't got around that one.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2015, 07:56:08 PM »
My 10 favorites, in alphabetical order by band name:

Alter Bridge - Fortress
Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here
Coldplay - Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends
Disarmonia Mundi - Fragments of D-Generation
dredg - El Cielo
In Flames - Whoracle
Karnivool - Sound Awake
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing

Offline 425

« Reply #69 on: July 27, 2015, 08:11:44 PM »
Coldplay - Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends

:tup
And if spirit's a sign,