Author Topic: 1999: Trump proposes wealth tax on 1%, tax reduction on 99% to pay national debt  (Read 2103 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
Dead wrong:  shouldn't be the politicians.  Let them grant the money to the states, but let's hold the States responsible.  And get rid of this kind of nonsense once and for all.

You kind of lost me here.  Is your point that we should abolish the federal government education department?  Not quite sure which part of my words you were addressing.

The part about the politicians talking about it, vis-à-vis the "weakest student".   I'm with you on that, by the way.  Not her current school, but the previous school my daughter went to (outside Philly) my daughter was regularly asked - during class - to help other students get up to speed.  Certainly there is a lesson there for her, in terms of teaching and sharing and "teamwork" (and as an only child, that is important) but classtime where she is essentially "teaching" the weak(er/est) student(s) is classtime where she's not learning new things.   

I don't want this issue (education) to become a bargaining chip between John Boehner and Nancy Pelosi.  This should be apolitical.

Calvin6s

I don't want this issue (education) to become a bargaining chip between John Boehner and Nancy Pelosi.  This should be apolitical.

That is a shame.  You know it would devolve into "those guys just hate kids."

The problem is it is already political.  And they are just going to keep throwing money at the problem with some hair-brained, hardly a plan plan attached.  No Child Left Behind was basically the epitome of teaching to the weakest student.  And the weakest is usually just the one that doesn't want to learn as opposed to just looking for the right program to inspire them.

Obama's education program seemed to be a big mess.  States in some type of competition that seemed to be more about red tape than anything.  I doubt 99% of people can even tell you what became of that without a web search.

Taking education to the web (in an organized manner) seems like it would be better on a federal level, but there really is no excuse for California (Silicon Valley) to not already have something like this.  And once again, I'm not just talking K-12 here.  I give lots of credit to the Kahn academy, but it seems small potatoes compared to a fully developed education program.  Even if it is supplemental.  But even though new concepts are being brought in, the core isn't that much different than the programmed course books.  The ones that have the questions and work space on the left and the answer on the right.  Each page is divided into about 3 to 6 panels of building block questions.  I found that method one of the best teaching methods.  In a way, it makes the teachers supplemental as opposed to the other way around.

Calvin6s

The biggest strides I made during my K-12 years were when I was allowed to take so self-paced courses.  It mostly works for math classes.

<snip>

Why can't it be streamlined with:
- one of the top professors giving the lecture
- a dynamic textbook with actual hyperlinks.  Math is mainly a building block of key concepts, so if a new method is built on previous methods (almost always), make those references hyperlinks for those that need to quickly review those past methods.  That was the majority of the questions any way.
- a "help desk" <link> that allows you to enter your question that is put in a queue that can be answered by a more universal and better trained group of professors.
- an ability to join a chat to discuss your questions in a more detailed setting

<etc>

Introducing Facebook and Summit’s K-12 Education Project

They get these results by pioneering a very different approach to learning. First, the classroom isn’t for lectures. Content and assessments are delivered online through teacher-created materials, and classroom time is reserved for teacher-led real-world projects and collaboration. Second, the learning experience for students is completely personalized to them, and they move along at their own pace. Students start by working with teachers to set long-term goals (e.g. “become an investigative journalist”, “go to a state school”, “learn to code”), then lay out a plan to achieve them over the course of many years. They can then visualize and track all of their coursework as a path towards these goals, connecting their daily decisions to their long-term aspirations. This means that every moment of each students’ day is motivated by what they want to be when they grow up.

Glad somebody seems to be finally doing what I've been waiting years for.  It seems limited to K-12, but that's a good start.  Not surprised that it took private industry to get it going.

This could be the start of something big.  We aren't just talking about better education for upcoming kids, but for adults that have the desire but would be helped with a more job-centric course more personalized to them.  But most of all, it could be the biggest factor in bringing down governmental debt.

Fingers crossed.  I might have to say something nice about Facebook now.

Calvin6s

The above could be a big enough topic for its own thread.  Let's see if people want to discuss the problems of education and politics or discuss what could be very real and life altering solutions.  I'd back social justice warriors if they pushed this and bullied government into adopting it on a grand scale.