Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 196381 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. don't neglect rest/recovery!
« Reply #2695 on: November 21, 2021, 02:30:01 PM »
That’s amazing and inspiring. I took Friday off, and yesterday (Tending to a dog healing from surgery).  Barely got 3 hours sleep last night (see, recovering dog), so I doubt I’m gonna have the will to do anything today.  :-\

Thanks mate.

I hope your puppy is okay and I wouldn't worry about having a day off, you'll make up for it.  It does eat at you hey when things get in the way and you skip some training.

You have no idea!  Well, actually you do since you mentioned it!!! :lol. Combined with some sloppy eating (more than a couple of sweets with the birthday), I feel like turd today. Gotta get back at it tomorrow.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2696 on: November 21, 2021, 02:35:37 PM »
That’s amazing and inspiring. I took Friday off, and yesterday (Tending to a dog healing from surgery).  Barely got 3 hours sleep last night (see, recovering dog), so I doubt I’m gonna have the will to do anything today.  :-\

Thanks mate.

I hope your puppy is okay and I wouldn't worry about having a day off, you'll make up for it.  It does eat at you hey when things get in the way and you skip some training.

You have no idea!  Well, actually you do since you mentioned it!!! :lol. Combined with some sloppy eating (more than a couple of sweets with the birthday), I feel like turd today. Gotta get back at it tomorrow.

Indulging too much and skipping training are two things that really hits me and the guilt builds up.  Have to be careful as the overwhelming guilt sometimes is borderline unhealthy.  I know all too well.

I think considering its your birthday, you can cut yourself some slack.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2697 on: November 21, 2021, 02:39:05 PM »
Oh yeah, I am.  I won’t stress about it much.  I have a fairly open day tomorrow, and my boss is on vacation. I should be able to squeeze out some time on the bike, and start my next program.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2698 on: November 21, 2021, 02:40:07 PM »
Just had to backup and just did my 5km for today.  5:10 pace, but Jesus, my legs fucking hate me right now.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2699 on: November 21, 2021, 02:40:26 PM »
Oh yeah, I am.  I won’t stress about it much.  I have a fairly open day tomorrow, and my boss is on vacation. I should be able to squeeze out some time on the bike, and start my next program.

Nice.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2700 on: November 24, 2021, 09:01:52 PM »
Rich, you're beard is fucking extraordinary.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2701 on: November 24, 2021, 10:20:30 PM »

Lol, i try.  It looks better close up where you can see the defined mustache....and not covered in ice. That helps,  too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2702 on: November 24, 2021, 11:04:21 PM »

Lol, i try.  It looks better close up where you can see the defined mustache....and not covered in ice. That helps,  too.

Looks BETTER up close.  Lol fuck me!  :lol :facepalm:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2703 on: December 09, 2021, 03:02:17 PM »
Bump.

Addicted to running still at the moment.  Have ran at least 5km since November 1 everyday.  This morning managed to crack the 5km in 23 minutes flat.  4:36 average time per km.  :metal

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2704 on: December 09, 2021, 09:07:44 PM »
Bump.

Addicted to running still at the moment.  Have ran at least 5km since November 1 everyday.  This morning managed to crack the 5km in 23 minutes flat.  4:36 average time per km.  :metal

Quite a bit of running, indeed lol. I don't think I ever ran 5km in 23 min not on a treadmill (where I was also probably cheating a bit holding on, as was typical of me in my youthful days).

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2705 on: December 09, 2021, 09:10:02 PM »
As for myself, I've been doing quite a bit of swimming. Partly because my son has lessons, and I'd rather get some exercise instead of sit around like almost every other parent. But I've also been dealing with another forearm strain from not properly healing the first one. The swimming is at least letting me get a quasi upper body strength workout. I usually do many "pull" laps, so it's definitely putting more strain on the shoulders and back. God I miss weights...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2706 on: December 09, 2021, 10:07:26 PM »
As for myself, I've been doing quite a bit of swimming. Partly because my son has lessons, and I'd rather get some exercise instead of sit around like almost every other parent. But I've also been dealing with another forearm strain from not properly healing the first one. The swimming is at least letting me get a quasi upper body strength workout. I usually do many "pull" laps, so it's definitely putting more strain on the shoulders and back. God I miss weights...

Most of my swimming these days is all pull mate.  Don't underestimate what it does for your upper body, I love it.

My weights have been lacking with the running.  Need to prioritise.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2707 on: December 10, 2021, 06:42:30 AM »
I've been trying to get some steady state cardio in 4-5 days a week to compensate for the abundance of sweets and treats that come this time of year (birthday and holidays).  Plus getting my weightlifting in.  Had a bit of a setback the last week of November and didn't workout, but then came back pretty strong the following week with some PBs (at least, since I used to lift real heavy in my 20s) on deadlifts, squats, and bench press - so I was pleased with that.

I'm in the midst of a very shoulder/trap centric 4-week program, and man are my shoulders feeling it last night was 120 reps (I did 6 rounds of 20 reps each of the below)

- Wide BB shrugs (175lbs)
- "W" shoulder raises (25lb DBs) - hammer curl into shoulder fly and the arms form a "W"
- Grave-diggers* ( 50lb DB) - from your knees with a single DB, hoist a DB to one shoulder, loop/prese it over your head to the other shoulder, and let it down to the ground; repeat backwards (think like you're shovelling dirt)
- Goblet squat (50lb crush grip)

Took just over 50 minutes to get thru that.  Good shoulder, trap, and forearm workout.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2708 on: December 17, 2021, 06:59:23 PM »
Pumped out a 10km this morning in 48:51.  That's 4:53 average per km.  Not bad!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2709 on: December 17, 2021, 08:00:56 PM »
Good stuff.  What’s your PB for 10K?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2710 on: December 17, 2021, 11:53:20 PM »

That was it........I'll try and go faster then.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2711 on: December 18, 2021, 04:44:23 AM »

:rollin :rollin

YOU BETTER!!!!  Punk. 

JK, man.  Congrats on that.  I would've thought a bit more of a reaction than "not bad" for a PB.  Very happy for you.

I've been doing a very shoulder focused program the past couple of weeks, and feeling pretty good about it.  My shoulders are constantly sore (but mostly in a good way!).  In the meantime, I've set a PB of my own, getting to 193lbs on bench press (for 6 reps).  My chest moves have always been shit.  Even back in my 20s when I could do a lot of heavier lifts, I never got above 185.  So, pretty stoked about this.  Squat is getting up to my highest weights back in my 20s again.  And having a nice cage allows me to go deep in them without fear of crashing.

I'm gonna need to get a 7' bar soon though.  When I bought my weight set last year, I didn't think I had the physical space to work comfortably with a 7' bar, and didn't think I necessarily needed it either, so I got a 6'.  Couple that with the fact I got rubber coated plates (which are just a tad thicker than standard cast-iron plates), and I'm literally out of room to add to my deadlift (which is at 293lbs).  Might need to add a couple of 45s to my collection as well.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2712 on: December 18, 2021, 08:46:30 AM »
We're going to be doing a complete reno of our house next year. In the basement redesign we'll be able to add an extra 2 feet to the current gym size due to the removal of a wall. Doesn't sound like much,  but it'll give us a lot more options for both configuration and equipment choice. My wife would love to replace the rower with a treadmill, but in our current space it wouldn't fit with the bike and power rack. We'd have to store the bike inside the power rack, and move it to the middle of the basement tv room when doing strength training. Not ideal.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2713 on: December 19, 2021, 02:40:44 PM »

:rollin :rollin

YOU BETTER!!!!  Punk. 

JK, man.  Congrats on that.  I would've thought a bit more of a reaction than "not bad" for a PB.  Very happy for you.

I've been doing a very shoulder focused program the past couple of weeks, and feeling pretty good about it.  My shoulders are constantly sore (but mostly in a good way!).  In the meantime, I've set a PB of my own, getting to 193lbs on bench press (for 6 reps).  My chest moves have always been shit.  Even back in my 20s when I could do a lot of heavier lifts, I never got above 185.  So, pretty stoked about this.  Squat is getting up to my highest weights back in my 20s again.  And having a nice cage allows me to go deep in them without fear of crashing.

I'm gonna need to get a 7' bar soon though.  When I bought my weight set last year, I didn't think I had the physical space to work comfortably with a 7' bar, and didn't think I necessarily needed it either, so I got a 6'.  Couple that with the fact I got rubber coated plates (which are just a tad thicker than standard cast-iron plates), and I'm literally out of room to add to my deadlift (which is at 293lbs).  Might need to add a couple of 45s to my collection as well.

That weight is kind of where my bench press max is.  Probably not for 6 reps though.

We're going to be doing a complete reno of our house next year. In the basement redesign we'll be able to add an extra 2 feet to the current gym size due to the removal of a wall. Doesn't sound like much,  but it'll give us a lot more options for both configuration and equipment choice. My wife would love to replace the rower with a treadmill, but in our current space it wouldn't fit with the bike and power rack. We'd have to store the bike inside the power rack, and move it to the middle of the basement tv room when doing strength training. Not ideal.

Treadmill >>> Rower however.  For me anyway.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2714 on: January 30, 2022, 09:40:11 AM »
Did a spin class for the first time ever today. Pretty interesting.

It was 45mins, but the time just flew by which is nice since I typically get bored with cardio and stop too early.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2715 on: January 30, 2022, 11:31:05 AM »
Did a spin class for the first time ever today. Pretty interesting.

It was 45mins, but the time just flew by which is nice since I typically get bored with cardio and stop too early.

Nice! I've done a few before, and i like them.  They can be pretty damn intense,  too

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2716 on: February 22, 2022, 08:56:43 AM »
Four days in to getting back to daily exercise. Feels pretty good but weight training will be slow to build up. I did legs on Saturday, back and chest on Sunday, core on Monday, and arms and shoulders this morning. I've got a comfortable overall soreness, which is good, but I'll probably just do cardio tomorrow and start back up with legs on Thursday. The hardest thing to remember is keeping my core engaged and to go slow.

Next week I'll be on vacation in Florida, so hopefully I'll be able to get right back into it when we return.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2717 on: February 22, 2022, 09:42:44 AM »
I've never been a 'work out' guy.....since I started exercising and losing weight in 2010 it's always just been cardio for me....running, stairs....etc etc. Last night I noticed on FB Marketplace that a buddy of mine was selling a nice weight bench, three bars, a good batch of loose weights and what not.....just appeared to be a good 'starter' or average set. I messaged him and asked what kind of deal he'd cut me and he told me that if I wanted it all just to come get it! So, of course I said thanks and am going to go pick it all up Saturday.

Not that I'll stop running...and I still play ice hockey 3 hours every sunday....but, it's just more and more difficult to run and do cardio like I used to. I was 4-5 days a week 5 miles minimum for a decade. After I caught covid for the first time in december of 20'.....I never really got back on track with running multiple times a week. My motivation or something just never returned. I feel like I've recovered from it all as I've ran three half marathons since then and still play hockey....but I just can't get myself to run more than two or three times a month. So, I think I'm ready to create a different habit and I'm hoping to inspire/lead my sons (15, 14 and 11) to start a bit of a 'lifting' regiment.

So....if any of you have a simple 'lifting' plan or advice on how to start up I'd more than appreciate it. I could look online I suppose but I'd love to hear from people who've actually done it or are doing it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2718 on: February 22, 2022, 10:30:29 AM »
Well, I'm a big fan of Jeff Cavaliere and the Athlean-X channel - there's tons of free stuff on his YT channel, and all very good at explaining not just the how, but the why "put the science back in sport".  I've bought a few of his programs, and thought they were all great.

Unfortunately, I've fallen off the wagon (a long story not for now) - haven't worked out in almost a month.  Not sure when I'll be able to get back on.   :-\

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2719 on: February 22, 2022, 10:43:47 AM »
Well, I'm a big fan of Jeff Cavaliere and the Athlean-X channel - there's tons of free stuff on his YT channel, and all very good at explaining not just the how, but the why "put the science back in sport".  I've bought a few of his programs, and thought they were all great.

Thanks for that Chad. That'll be a good place for me to go and start. I'm not looking to do anything other than develop a good routine/habit and get my kiddos going as well.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2720 on: February 22, 2022, 01:06:09 PM »
I haven't run in a month, which has been very frustrating.  Dodgy ankle still, but now that same ankle is a little more tender after my accident, so might be a couple more weeks yet depending any lasting effects.  Been swimming pretty regularly though and weights 5 days a week so still very active.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2721 on: February 22, 2022, 01:28:11 PM »

Thanks for that Chad. That'll be a good place for me to go and start. I'm not looking to do anything other than develop a good routine/habit and get my kiddos going as well.

Can't go wrong with Athlean-X. And since you're already into cardio, you don't have to worry about Jeff's (even self-admitted) lack of conditioning in his routines. Personally, I like to do strength programs in the vein of crossfit because it feels like cardio at the same time. For the record though, I do not recommend crossfit specifically. It puts too much emphasis on reps for time which leads to lots of injuries.

I think you'll find that strength training goes a long way to improving your overall physique vs. just cardio. And it will definitely help your hockey game. Stronger lower body is all around useful, and, even in non-contact rec league, having a stronger upper body will make you stronger on the puck. Especially in scrums along the boards.

I haven't run in a month, which has been very frustrating.  Dodgy ankle still, but now that same ankle is a little more tender after my accident, so might be a couple more weeks yet depending any lasting effects.  Been swimming pretty regularly though and weights 5 days a week so still very active.

I've noticed your Strava absence lol. That makes more sense now.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2722 on: February 22, 2022, 01:37:18 PM »
Yeah Rich, it's been frustrating as hell, but I'll get back into it eventually.  Just overdid it and didn't manage my recovery well enough.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2723 on: February 28, 2022, 09:46:45 AM »
I don’t usually divulge these numbers because they’re at “GODDAMN THAT’S A LOT” levels, but fuck it, I’m happy.

I started making fast progress, then hit a plateau and a minor backslide. Now I’m making progress again.

This time last year I weighed just over 460 pounds. At one point in quarantine I’m pretty sure the scales said 470, but that may have just been part of a normal fluctuation and is not what the doc weighed me at, so I don’t count that when tracking progress. Anyway, I lost a good amount of weight, got down to about 390, then the holidays hit and that’s when I plateaued. I got back up to 400 and that was just two weeks ago. I stepped on the scale, said “fuck that,” and now I’m down to 383 and going strong.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2724 on: February 28, 2022, 10:18:48 AM »
That's fantastic Tim.   :tup

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2725 on: February 28, 2022, 10:19:45 AM »
I don’t usually divulge these numbers because they’re at “GODDAMN THAT’S A LOT” levels, but fuck it, I’m happy.

I started making fast progress, then hit a plateau and a minor backslide. Now I’m making progress again.

This time last year I weighed just over 460 pounds. At one point in quarantine I’m pretty sure the scales said 470, but that may have just been part of a normal fluctuation and is not what the doc weighed me at, so I don’t count that when tracking progress. Anyway, I lost a good amount of weight, got down to about 390, then the holidays hit and that’s when I plateaued. I got back up to 400 and that was just two weeks ago. I stepped on the scale, said “fuck that,” and now I’m down to 383 and going strong.

Congrats, and thanks for sharing! That's tremendous weight loss.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2726 on: February 28, 2022, 11:21:18 AM »
Incredible! Great Work! Keep it up man

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2727 on: February 28, 2022, 11:23:09 AM »
Okay, so how do I exercise? I hate exercise, don't really have time to join a gym since I work 50 or so hours a week, and just kind of want to wake up in shape.

So what's a way to start that won't immediately make it jump ship?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2728 on: February 28, 2022, 11:34:53 AM »
Okay, so how do I exercise? I hate exercise, don't really have time to join a gym since I work 50 or so hours a week, and just kind of want to wake up in shape.

Deck of cards workouts. You can do it with just body weight exercises, it only takes 20-30 min, they're fantastically effective, can be done at your own pace, and they can be done in a very small space.

Online faizoff

« Reply #2729 on: February 28, 2022, 12:09:20 PM »

This isn't for everyone but I used to do T25 and that worked excellent for me. I would do it during my lunch break at home, you can pick any spot. It was 25 mins of various balanced activities that each day hit a different area of muscle groups. It can be a bit intense but I didn't do the full intense version until I got really used to it.

I've been meaning to get back to it and am hoping I will. I had lost 60lbs and that routine just kinda pushed me to eat better and workout more.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan