Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 196393 times)

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. don't neglect rest/recovery!
« Reply #2660 on: November 15, 2021, 01:27:42 PM »
I don't get why people say walking doesn't do anything unless your heartrate is elevated for a good portion of it. Your body still needs to use stored energy (fat) to produce motion, even if it's just walking. I lost more than 80lbs in the last 18 months by just walking (and calorie control).

Kotowboy was half correct. It's not that walking doesn't burn calories without elevating your HR. What it won't do is improve your fitness and cardiovascular function. Losing weight will help the former, to a degree, however, you won't see any other health benefits without the elevated HR.

Push comes to shove, you absolutely walk if the other option is do nothing. Doesn't change the fact that running > walking, swimming > running, cycling > all exercises ever invented combined 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2661 on: November 15, 2021, 02:33:52 PM »
I don't get why people say walking doesn't do anything unless your heartrate is elevated for a good portion of it. Your body still needs to use stored energy (fat) to produce motion, even if it's just walking. I lost more than 80lbs in the last 18 months by just walking (and calorie control).

Kotowboy was half correct. It's not that walking doesn't burn calories without elevating your HR. What it won't do is improve your fitness and cardiovascular function. Losing weight will help the former, to a degree, however, you won't see any other health benefits without the elevated HR.

Push comes to shove, you absolutely walk if the other option is do nothing. Doesn't change the fact that running > walking, swimming > running, cycling > all exercises ever invented combined

Right. My bad. I was speaking strictly within the context/on the topic of weight loss.

Where do rowing machines fit in on your hierarchy there? I used to really love using mine. I had one a few years ago and then sold it after a really bad, but unrelated back injury. I felt like that thing got my legs every bit as tired as running, and it made my arms to burn in the process. Twenty minutes on that felt like an hour's worth of running on the treadmill. That might be a decent option for Kotow if his shoulders are an issue. It's not a heavy or strenuous lift, just a nice and smooth resistance.

Jesus, Brian... you’re 1/2 the man you used to be!!   :tup :tup

Not quite half. More like 2/3s  :lol Feels good though. It's crazy when I pick up things that weigh 50 or so pounds and think "you used to carry this and then some with every step you took 24/7/365". It's kind of a trip.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2662 on: November 15, 2021, 04:37:13 PM »

All of this.  I started seeing my best results in terms of body composition when I started running seriously and more swimming, along with heavy weight sessions.

I used to just piss fart around with exercise and worry more about calories.  When I changed my focus on upping my fitness and not worrying as much about my calories, I started seeing significant changes.  Challenging yourself in a cardiovascular sense and with the weight training changed it all for me.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2663 on: November 15, 2021, 07:15:07 PM »
I just like my weightlifting, and have a bit of a sweet tooth.  Plus, there's a shit-ton of stuff on Netflix and Amazon that I want to watch which mrs.jingle has no interest in, so double-dipping and watching while on my exercise bike allows me to burn a few of those extra calories I treat myself too.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not careless about it... I'm talking 4 chocolate covered almonds, or a 1/2 dozen rosebuds.  Nothing more than 60-100 cals, a few times a week.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2664 on: November 15, 2021, 08:57:44 PM »
I love rowing, but i don't use mine much these days (kinda sad with how much gym space it takes up).  It's essentially combining strength and cardio which i love to do  The only issue i have is that it doesn't fit well as a cardio booster during strength workouts because of the grip and upper body requirements. It almost needs to be done on its own vs stacked with a full strength workout

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2665 on: November 16, 2021, 04:41:25 AM »
Bah!  4.52 for 5km this morning.  >:(

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2666 on: November 16, 2021, 04:43:05 AM »
Okay then.

I hurt them when I fell off my bike in 2015.

Anyway..

Dinner tonight = Homemade Chicken stir fry with cashew nuts and naan bread / sweet and sour sauce.

Dessert = Natural Greek Yoghurt with banana slices. 😊

That's 6 years ago man.  Did you do so something that bad doctors have told you not to lift or something?

Honestly, some weight training is what you are looking for if you want to improve your composition.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2667 on: November 16, 2021, 04:47:25 AM »
Okay then.

I hurt them when I fell off my bike in 2015.

Anyway..

Dinner tonight = Homemade Chicken stir fry with cashew nuts and naan bread / sweet and sour sauce.

Dessert = Natural Greek Yoghurt with banana slices. 😊

That's 6 years ago man.  Did you do so something that bad doctors have told you not to lift or something?

Honestly, some weight training is what you are looking for if you want to improve your composition.

I agree here.  Perhaps try resistance bands.  There are always ways to do resistance training while accommodating for (most) injuries.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2668 on: November 16, 2021, 10:46:55 PM »

4.52 again this morning.  Motherfucker.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2669 on: November 17, 2021, 04:54:08 AM »

Man, you run 5k faster than I take my morning dump!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2670 on: November 17, 2021, 05:53:31 AM »
 ::) wtf i could WALK 5km in way less than 4 hours and 52 minutes. WTF.

... say what?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2671 on: November 17, 2021, 05:25:41 PM »

Man, you run 5k faster than I take my morning dump!

Haha thanks mate. I'm slow compared to some of these younger lads.  Definitely inspirational and pushing me. Its tough doing it at 6am when I've already been at work for a couple of hours but I have a nice routine at the moment.  Its clearing my head for the day.

4.51 this morning though.  So mad.  Matched my PB but so close to beating it.  :censored

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2672 on: November 17, 2021, 07:40:54 PM »

... say what?

I would seriously hope you could walk 5km in under 5 hours.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2673 on: November 18, 2021, 08:41:07 AM »
Haha thanks mate. I'm slow compared to some of these younger lads.  Definitely inspirational and pushing me. Its tough doing it at 6am when I've already been at work for a couple of hours but I have a nice routine at the moment.  Its clearing my head for the day.

Are you working nights or have I read this wrong?
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2674 on: November 18, 2021, 11:43:30 AM »

... say what?

I would seriously hope you could walk 5km in under 5 hours.

Me too  :biggrin:

One time I had to get the bus from my Dads back to my house and it's 5 miles. The bus never turned up and I was so annoyed I just decided to walk it.

I walk really fast anyway and it took me around 90 mins. I've always wanted to walk it and now I have.

I remember being little and needing to walk the 1 mile to the nearest shop from my Dads house seemed like a TREK.

Now I regularly walk 6 - 7 miles a day just around town.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2675 on: November 18, 2021, 01:02:21 PM »

Are you working nights or have I read this wrong?

Starting around 4am.  Do my morning work then I'm free for a run around 6am.  I work then till 6pm, get in the gym for some weights for 45 minutes then head home.  Rinse and repeat. Its just a busy time of year for me.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2676 on: November 18, 2021, 01:09:37 PM »
I have no job at the mo so more time to be active. :)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2677 on: November 18, 2021, 02:18:36 PM »

Now is the time to really start pushing yourself then and up the activity.  Walking is great but if you want changes you have to push and challenge yourself beyond your limits, constantly and consistently.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2678 on: November 18, 2021, 02:21:18 PM »
Just completed a 7km at a 4.57 average.  My slowest km was 4 minutes 59 seconds so pretty solid.  Legs are hurting but feeling a bit fitter.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2679 on: November 18, 2021, 06:22:40 PM »
Today, my rest was only 30 minutes, which unfortunately is nowhere near my personal best.

In all seriousness, the stats you guys put up in this thread is outstanding. I'm envious.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2680 on: November 18, 2021, 07:30:29 PM »
Today, my rest was only 30 minutes, which unfortunately is nowhere near my personal best.

In all seriousness, the stats you guys put up in this thread is outstanding. I'm envious.

:lol

Thanks Tim.  When we can finally meet I'll put you through a few sessions and some runs.  It'll be sweet.  :tup

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2681 on: November 18, 2021, 07:31:30 PM »
The only runs I'll be having will be the ones adjusting to Australian food. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2682 on: November 18, 2021, 11:19:57 PM »

Don't try the Vegemite then mate!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2683 on: November 19, 2021, 03:26:52 AM »

Now is the time to really start pushing yourself then and up the activity.  Walking is great but if you want changes you have to push and challenge yourself beyond your limits, constantly and consistently.

to rise above the challenge ? To blaze a brand new trail ?

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2684 on: November 19, 2021, 08:03:01 AM »

I think Kade didn't get past Invisible Monster on that album :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2685 on: November 19, 2021, 01:04:53 PM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2686 on: November 19, 2021, 01:25:39 PM »

I think Kade didn't get past Invisible Monster on that album :lol

Yeah, I had no idea where that quote was from, if it was infact a quote from something.  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2687 on: November 19, 2021, 02:44:29 PM »
We’re those lyrics from AVFTTOTW?  If so, that explains why I didn’t get the joke either.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2688 on: November 19, 2021, 07:29:17 PM »
Achieved my goal this morning of what I was aiming to get before the end of the month.  5km in 23:43.  Average of 4:44 per km.  Now to see what else I can do in the next 10 days.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2689 on: November 20, 2021, 05:37:30 AM »
Achieved my goal this morning of what I was aiming to get before the end of the month.  5km in 23:43.  Average of 4:44 per km.  Now to see what else I can do in the next 10 days.

Awesome sauce.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2690 on: November 20, 2021, 05:30:05 PM »
So.... you ran a half marathon for fun today,  Kade?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2691 on: November 21, 2021, 03:40:03 AM »
So.... you ran a half marathon for fun today,  Kade?

So, this Movember thing we had to do 5km of activity per day.  Cycling, swimming and a few other things were allowed but running is the main thing.  Not many lads have run everyday.  Only 4 of us I think.  Some even walking some days and they are like 15 younger than me!

Anyway, I guess being the oldest, my ego is wanting me to try and compete as much as possible.  I can't but my own mental toughness is going pretty hard to do my best to somewhat keep up.  These guys have been doing a thing where on the 10th day, they did 10km, and the 15th day, 15km.  20th day, 3 of them did 20km, one did the 21km at under 5 minutes a km!!!

Today was day 21 and this somewhat inspired me.  Again, I'm not really trying to keep up, I hit my goal yesterday and a run everyday is the other goal.  I got going today and knew my times were average for what I've been doing.  I did have in the back of my mind wondering if I could do the 21km but I didn't feel the best when I started and the times showed that.  Anyway, got 10km in and started to feel okay and just decided to keep going.  13km was the next goal and then I got to 15km.  I did the math and knew I was under 5 and a half minutes per km so I was then determined to get the 21km.

The last 3km tested every fiber of my being, holy shit that was hard.  I almost gave up at 18.5km.  I had to force myself to keep going.  Clocking it at 5:28 average per km felt amazing.  I must say I've felt a little sick the rest of today but I guess that's warranted.  I have another hectic week at work so don't know if these guys are going to do 25km and 30km on their respective days but it's more than likely.  If I can just manage 5km every day now, I'll be happy.  A 5km PB yesterday and clocking a half marathon today has me pretty happy for the challenge for the month.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2692 on: November 21, 2021, 03:49:53 AM »
I guess randomly doing a half marathon on my own around a lake on a quiet Sunday morning is a bit crazy hey?  It's scary, I just keep trying to push harder, I'm certain I'm not quite right in the head.  :lol  I have to lay off the David Goggins vids I think lol.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2693 on: November 21, 2021, 06:52:57 AM »
That’s amazing and inspiring. I took Friday off, and yesterday (Tending to a dog healing from surgery).  Barely got 3 hours sleep last night (see, recovering dog), so I doubt I’m gonna have the will to do anything today.  :-\

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2694 on: November 21, 2021, 11:51:47 AM »
That’s amazing and inspiring. I took Friday off, and yesterday (Tending to a dog healing from surgery).  Barely got 3 hours sleep last night (see, recovering dog), so I doubt I’m gonna have the will to do anything today.  :-\

Thanks mate.

I hope your puppy is okay and I wouldn't worry about having a day off, you'll make up for it.  It does eat at you hey when things get in the way and you skip some training.