Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 199817 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. nutrition accountability 2021
« Reply #2380 on: March 28, 2021, 04:53:49 AM »
Quote from: WolfKing
Backed up my 8km with a 10km this morning at a 5:33 average per km pace.  Was about 31 degrees out too, so that's solid.

This morning's "results".... The exact same as they were three weeks ago... I dunno what i'm doing wrong but it's p*ssing me off.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2381 on: March 28, 2021, 05:06:06 AM »
Quote from: WolfKing
Backed up my 8km with a 10km this morning at a 5:33 average per km pace.  Was about 31 degrees out too, so that's solid.

This morning's "results".... The exact same as they were three weeks ago... I dunno what i'm doing wrong but it's p*ssing me off.

Not sure why you've quoted me here but nevertheless, if your results are the same, it's pretty simple that you are eating around your maintenance.  Your not eating less than you are burning, nor are you eating more than you are burning.

Saying that, you seem to be doing a lot of walking.  10 miles, that must take you 2-3 hours, that's a decent slab of walking.  Not sure if your intake has increased, but I think people overestimate how much exercise actually burns and subconsciously make up for it by eating a little more cause they have been more active.  It's not normally detrimental but can see plateaus happen easily.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2382 on: March 28, 2021, 11:56:00 AM »

Solid as hell. I have some runs when I do 5:30 for a few kilometers but then it's like 6:15 for the next few. Last km is usually around 4:55 though which is fairly good for me.

I started running last autumn, so I never actually ran during summer, and so I dread the upcoming summer a little bit, it's probably gonna be difficult.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2383 on: March 28, 2021, 12:19:59 PM »

Not sure why you've quoted me here but nevertheless,

Because it was the last post on the previous page and it sucks when that happens because people might not see it.  :police: KB in rare trying to be a semi-decent human moment

but still getting called out for it  ;D ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2384 on: March 28, 2021, 02:02:39 PM »

Solid as hell. I have some runs when I do 5:30 for a few kilometers but then it's like 6:15 for the next few. Last km is usually around 4:55 though which is fairly good for me.

I started running last autumn, so I never actually ran during summer, and so I dread the upcoming summer a little bit, it's probably gonna be difficult.

Yeah, my last km is always faster to try and bring the average down a bit.

It's amazing how the weather can affect your performance.  It's not fun.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2385 on: March 28, 2021, 02:03:23 PM »

Not sure why you've quoted me here but nevertheless,

Because it was the last post on the previous page and it sucks when that happens because people might not see it.  :police: KB in rare trying to be a semi-decent human moment

but still getting called out for it  ;D ;D

Ah, thanks mate, that is thoughtful.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2386 on: March 28, 2021, 02:15:58 PM »
Hmmm....Monday morning, and I'm feeling it this morning.  Wow!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2387 on: March 30, 2021, 10:38:56 AM »
Jogged up a hill today and walked 10 miles in total. I was *spent* at the top of the hill. It's very steep and 320 ft above sea level. Its quite the slog !

But I got quite far up whilst jogging before I had to stop to get my breath.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2388 on: March 31, 2021, 03:48:25 AM »
...And this morning the "result" is literally nothing.  :rollin

I think my scale is f-ed . There's no way that's true.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2389 on: March 31, 2021, 05:05:15 AM »
...And this morning the "result" is literally nothing.  :rollin

I think my scale is f-ed . There's no way that's true.

What does your diet look like?  Maybe you need to start counting calories to get more of a precise idea of what's going in.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2390 on: March 31, 2021, 05:09:17 AM »
Well I only eat when I HAVE to. I dont stuff myself with junk food or cakes and sodas. It's all decent food. Maybe I should try drinking more water.

Lets just say I don't snack anywhere near enough to undo 7 miles daily walking - most of which is uphill.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2391 on: March 31, 2021, 05:12:52 AM »
Well I only eat when I HAVE to. I dont stuff myself with junk food or cakes and sodas. It's all decent food. Maybe I should try drinking more water.

Lets just say I don't snack anywhere near enough to undo 7 miles daily walking - most of which is uphill.

I don't know what that means.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2392 on: March 31, 2021, 05:46:02 AM »
Think I'll go and get on the bike this morning.  Time to find that wagon, and get my ass back on hit.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2393 on: March 31, 2021, 08:55:47 AM »
I'm saying - I'm not the guy who's nibbling at something all day or having three proper meals a day.

When I am really hungry - i'll begrudgingly have something to eat.

Sometimes I forget to eat for so long - I get dizzy.

But I don't starve myself. I just can't be bothered most of the time and see it as a chore.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2394 on: March 31, 2021, 02:24:35 PM »
I'm saying - I'm not the guy who's nibbling at something all day or having three proper meals a day.

When I am really hungry - i'll begrudgingly have something to eat.

Sometimes I forget to eat for so long - I get dizzy.

But I don't starve myself. I just can't be bothered most of the time and see it as a chore.

If that's the case and you eat as little as you say, then weight should be falling off you.

Saying that, depending on food choices, your daily expenditure can be eaten quite quickly and easily.  People think they aren't eating much but their choices speak otherwise in terms of calories.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2395 on: March 31, 2021, 02:24:53 PM »
Think I'll go and get on the bike this morning.  Time to find that wagon, and get my ass back on hit.

:tup

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2396 on: April 03, 2021, 02:57:16 AM »
Good run today. First time I attempted the 10 km post-Covid, did pretty good by my standards. Need to slowly increase the distances now I guess.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2397 on: April 03, 2021, 08:17:55 AM »
Good run today. First time I attempted the 10 km post-Covid, did pretty good by my standards. Need to slowly increase the distances now I guess.

Awesome! 10km at sub 6min km's running outside is a worthy accomplishment

Offline H2

« Reply #2398 on: April 03, 2021, 10:07:00 AM »
I envy you runners! I got runner's knee a few months ago, still in PT for it. No running, squats, or deadlifts for me, so I've been hammering bench like three times a week. Strongest I've ever been in this lift I think -- probably doesn't sound like much but 185 lb x 9. Almost to the point where I'm repping 225 lb....been a longtime goal of mine.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2399 on: April 03, 2021, 11:33:42 PM »

At 5.45 pace, beautiful mate, excellent run.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2400 on: April 03, 2021, 11:35:36 PM »
The heat has calmed down finally and was raining lightly today too.  A beautiful 15km run at 5.37 average km pace.  Was really sweet and surprised by the pace truthfully.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2401 on: April 03, 2021, 11:37:03 PM »
I envy you runners! I got runner's knee a few months ago, still in PT for it. No running, squats, or deadlifts for me, so I've been hammering bench like three times a week. Strongest I've ever been in this lift I think -- probably doesn't sound like much but 185 lb x 9. Almost to the point where I'm repping 225 lb....been a longtime goal of mine.

Very solid weight for 9 reps mate.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2402 on: April 04, 2021, 06:08:11 AM »

Very solid weight for 9 reps mate.

Absolutely - especially for someone your size. 

I'm back at it, did chest/shoulders/tri's on Thursday, and back/bi's yesterday.  I'm feeling it this morning - in a good way.  Been trying to get back to a quasi-disciplined diet as well - which will go to hell this weekend (anniversary yesterday; Easter dinner tonight).  Ordered some new testosterone supplements as well - the last ones I was taking were el-cheapo, so I went and spent a little more for a brand (Testogen) that is well reviewed/regarded.

Goin for a bike ride (indoor) shortly; lifting again after dinner.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2403 on: April 05, 2021, 03:32:35 AM »
The heat has calmed down finally and was raining lightly today too.  A beautiful 15km run at 5.37 average km pace.  Was really sweet and surprised by the pace truthfully.

Backed this up today with a 14km at 5:43 average pace.  Was running in moderately heavy rain too, was fabulous, although my throat is sore tonight which is no wonder, but worth every step.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2404 on: April 05, 2021, 03:36:59 AM »
I've had enough of killing myself just to drop a few fractions of a lb.

It'll be summer soon and hopefully i'll be back at my Waiter job carrying heavy trays around for 8 hours a day , swimming in the sea and walking around the beach so It will just happen naturally.

:-)

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2405 on: April 05, 2021, 08:22:16 AM »
Well fellas I'm officially 'mad' at myself. My "normal" weight was in the range of the upper 160's to the mid to low 170's. Weighed in last night at 195.3  :omg:  Over eating of the really good tasting foods and just being lazy the past few months has taken it's toll. That dumb covid in December really zapped my desire to do anything and until recently I was just puttering along playing hockey on Sunday nights and maybe running once every week or two.

Going to limit my caloric intake to 1600 calories a day. Was recommended a pretty easy to use app to track it all that I used a bit last fall, and I'm just going to make sure to do at least 30 minutes of exercise 5 days a week. I'm strictly in shed the lbs mode. I have to get back to that comfortable zone where I'm not ashamed of myself. I'm eying 170 right now as a goal weight to shoot for. Just so ticked at myself.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2406 on: April 05, 2021, 08:43:49 AM »
I can still fit into my 32" jeans and they're not tight so i'm not too worried just yet.

But on the other hand it would be nice to see *something* for all my efforts...

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2407 on: April 05, 2021, 09:41:45 AM »
@ Gary... we've all been there, and it don't get any easier the older we get  :biggrin:.  Fortunately, you're an obsessive enough person that I know you'll get 'er done when you put your mind to it.  1600 might be a bit too much below your maintenance though.  Even at your height, that seems a little low.  I'm guessing that's probably a 700-1000 daily deficit for you??

The biggest thing I'm finding is all the little aches and pains - stuff that is more than just DOMS, but not an injury - takes MONTHS to go away.  Right now, my left forearm and side delt are routinely aching depending on the load and/or movement.

Still chugging away at it though.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2408 on: April 05, 2021, 02:26:13 PM »
@ Gary... we've all been there, and it don't get any easier the older we get  :biggrin:.  Fortunately, you're an obsessive enough person that I know you'll get 'er done when you put your mind to it.  1600 might be a bit too much below your maintenance though.  Even at your height, that seems a little low.  I'm guessing that's probably a 700-1000 daily deficit for you??

The biggest thing I'm finding is all the little aches and pains - stuff that is more than just DOMS, but not an injury - takes MONTHS to go away.  Right now, my left forearm and side delt are routinely aching depending on the load and/or movement.

Still chugging away at it though.

1600 is aggressive but I'm hoping it makes me focus on the quality of the food I'm eating. I would guess I've been around 2500-2800 calories the past few months. Been drinking more soda than I've drank in the past 10 years...that's going to stop.....my new job involves a lot of travel and my eating habits have been horrible on the road, that has to stop.....just have to make better choices. I've been taking the easy way out.

And I'm with you on the aches and pains. They linger a lot more these days.

I've registered for my 3rd Tough Mudder....it's on May 8th and I'm doing it with some buddies. Looking forward to it. Hoping to drop 5-8 lbs by then, it's a month off so I think it's doable. I went as far as taking some before pics because I'm pretty set on dropping this weight. It's gotta happen.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2409 on: April 05, 2021, 02:39:01 PM »
Yeah mate, 1600 is pretty low but if you concentrate on high volume low calorie foods, you can manage it.

I did a True Grit once a couple years ago which is similar to Tough Mudder, was very cool.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2410 on: April 06, 2021, 06:49:50 AM »
I hate being small. 1600 would be my base, not trying to lose weight! I have to go to 1200 (not including any exercise) to lose weight. I'm a all-day-snacker, so its super hard to eat small and low calorie.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2411 on: April 11, 2021, 03:31:01 PM »
Did something a little different yesterday.  Did 10km but split it up into two 5km sets.  Smashed out the first 5km in 4:48 average pace which is a record.  After about 10 minutes rest, another 5km at 5:37 pace.  That second 5km was so hard after the first!

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2412 on: April 12, 2021, 10:37:01 AM »
Did something a little different yesterday.  Did 10km but split it up into two 5km sets.  Smashed out the first 5km in 4:48 average pace which is a record.  After about 10 minutes rest, another 5km at 5:37 pace.  That second 5km was so hard after the first!

Yeah wow, solid. I'm definitely not there yet. I read your post this morning and realized it's been a while since I tried to do a fast 5km. Just returned from the run, 25:06. So close to being under 25, man. I'm still happy though, I never run on Mondays usually, so that's a good result.

That being said, there's no way I could've ran 5 more km after that. You're tough.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2413 on: April 12, 2021, 11:43:43 AM »
This week, I’m training for size, not strength. Lower weight, slightly higher reps, going to failure, shorter rest, and absolute strict form.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2414 on: April 12, 2021, 02:15:31 PM »
Good first full week on the diet. Stuck to 1600 calories a day, was able to exercise 5 of the 7 days including two ice hockey games last night. Weighed in this morning at 187 on the nose. 'Starting' weight last week was 195.3 so that was quite a drop for one week. I certainly don't expect that each week and know a lot of that was the easy weight to drop when you alter things like that....so, just going to do my best to stick to it and see this thing through. I HAVE to train myself to eat better foods.