Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 196400 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. nutrition accountability 2021
« Reply #2240 on: January 29, 2021, 12:12:23 AM »
If you think it's a caffeine issue, try doing what I did (based on something El Barto mentioned in another thread) ... start brewing 3/4 regular and 1/4 decaf for a while.  Then move to 1/2 decaf.
I'm not sure if it's caffeine so much as the acidity/bitterness/whateverthehellitis in the coffee itself. Definitely a good suggestion overall though considering how much I still drink each day.

I think you are spot on.  I think my issues comes from the acidity from the black coffee too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2241 on: January 29, 2021, 12:03:45 PM »
So yeah, the BF function of my scale sucks.  I dropped another 1lb this week (down to 177.8), but only 0.1% BF (to an even 14.0%).  At this rate, to get to 10% body fat, I need to lose 40lbs and weigh 137lbs?   :lol :lol

Oh well... I'll just need to adjust my goals to be more visually oriented, rather than the number on the scale.  Like, I want that vein running down the front of my bicep; visible abs in all light conditions (not just direct overhead light)... shit like that.

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2242 on: January 29, 2021, 09:23:58 PM »
So yeah, the BF function of my scale sucks.  I dropped another 1lb this week (down to 177.8), but only 0.1% BF (to an even 14.0%).  At this rate, to get to 10% body fat, I need to lose 40lbs and weigh 137lbs?   :lol :lol

Oh well... I'll just need to adjust my goals to be more visually oriented, rather than the number on the scale.  Like, I want that vein running down the front of my bicep; visible abs in all light conditions (not just direct overhead light)... shit like that.

I hear ya.  At least it's your scale mate.  Use the mirror for a while and see how that goes.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2243 on: January 29, 2021, 09:25:41 PM »
Up to 15.5km swimming.  Going well.  The diet with bugger all sugar is going better than expected.  I'll have a small dessert tonight but nothing like normal.  Might even try some sugar free cakes or shit from the supermarket.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2244 on: January 30, 2021, 06:39:06 AM »
Up to 15.5km swimming.  Going well.  The diet with bugger all sugar is going better than expected.  I'll have a small dessert tonight but nothing like normal.  Might even try some sugar free cakes or shit from the supermarket.

Along with some alcohol-free beer?  :lol  Both sound entirely unappealing.

I limited my rewards yesterday to two very small Lindt chocolate squares (they're 40 cals each I think).  Eggs bennedict for breakfast, homemade chicken soup and 2 sliders for lunch, tortellini in a rosé sauce with some sautéed onions/green peppers and ham + slice of homemade cheese bread.

Think I'll go hop on the bike shortly.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2245 on: January 30, 2021, 06:43:37 AM »

There are some good ones I think, especially if you drink them cold. Clausthaler is alright.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2246 on: January 30, 2021, 07:14:38 AM »

I actually started taking one progress photo each week once i decided to take up body recomp. It was the only way i could mentally handle the concept of losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time without changing my weight. I can actually see a significant difference between a photo at 195lbs from last month vs a 195 weigh in from back in February.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2247 on: January 30, 2021, 07:23:44 AM »

I actually started taking one progress photo each week once i decided to take up body recomp. It was the only way i could mentally handle the concept of losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time without changing my weight. I can actually see a significant difference between a photo at 195lbs from last month vs a 195 weigh in from back in February.

Agreed.  I take photos at the end of each program I do, and make the comparisons.  That's part of my frustration with the BF measurements - I can *see* the difference, but the BF #s aren't changing hardly at all.  As I said, oh well... it's the look and feel that matters, not a number on a scale (which isn't even accurate anyway).

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2248 on: January 30, 2021, 12:34:08 PM »

I limited my rewards yesterday to two very small Lindt chocolate squares (they're 40 cals each I think).  Eggs bennedict for breakfast, homemade chicken soup and 2 sliders for lunch, tortellini in a rosé sauce with some sautéed onions/green peppers and ham + slice of homemade cheese bread.

Think I'll go hop on the bike shortly.

Okay, do not try sugar free cake.  I actually found a pack of small cake squares.  They looked really appealing truthfully but holy fuck they were horrid.  Couldn't even describe the taste.  I'll leave the alcohol free beer for you mate haha.

Yeah, I'll just go clean for the rest of the 30 days.  However, tonight, one of the kids from work has organised a dinner for all of us cause we haven't had a team night out for a while.  I mean they go and get drunk a lot but a work meal with everyone, it's been a while.  At a burger place of course.  :facepalm:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2249 on: January 30, 2021, 12:35:38 PM »

Agreed.  I take photos at the end of each program I do, and make the comparisons.  That's part of my frustration with the BF measurements - I can *see* the difference, but the BF #s aren't changing hardly at all.  As I said, oh well... it's the look and feel that matters, not a number on a scale (which isn't even accurate anyway).

Trust your eye over the scale mate.

Offline H2

« Reply #2250 on: February 02, 2021, 03:34:43 PM »
I've read that those scales are really inaccurate, FWIW. I like waist measurements and feel they're a little more objective, personally.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2251 on: February 07, 2021, 06:38:21 PM »
Welcome to Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Weeks like this are why I'm glad I have a home gym

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2252 on: February 07, 2021, 06:45:50 PM »
Yowzers!!

Reward day today with the Suoer Bowl. Had some party mix, and some sweets. It was Mrs.jingle’s bday last Thursday, so we had some dessert then too (s”mores pie - it was glorious). Weigh in on Sat was good despite that. Dropped another 1.5 lbs, even on a “recovery” week for my exercise.  On to month 2 of Insanity. I’m only gonna do 1 week of it tho - I really want to get back to resistance training, and I don’t think my knees could tolerate another full month of this. 

Offline H2

« Reply #2253 on: February 09, 2021, 09:01:04 AM »
Been getting lots of full, quality sleep lately. >8 hours. I feel so great! Everything--school, work, teaching, socializing, thinking, lifting, cardio--literally everything is so much better when I get enough sleep. It's not even a proportional increase in benefits; it's exponential.

I know this is not really the thread for this, but it's a big reason I'm so reluctant to go down the family->kids route at this time in life. I think it would be guaranteed that I wouldn't get enough sleep, and all the other adults around me testify to this. Is that a reasonable dealbreaker?

Offline H2

« Reply #2254 on: February 09, 2021, 09:02:31 AM »
Yowzers!!

Reward day today with the Suoer Bowl. Had some party mix, and some sweets. It was Mrs.jingle’s bday last Thursday, so we had some dessert then too (s”mores pie - it was glorious). Weigh in on Sat was good despite that. Dropped another 1.5 lbs, even on a “recovery” week for my exercise.  On to month 2 of Insanity. I’m only gonna do 1 week of it tho - I really want to get back to resistance training, and I don’t think my knees could tolerate another full month of this.
When you're doing Insanity, I'm sure you'll burn right through the Super Bowl treats. That s*** is ba-nanas, yo.

What type of lifting program are you thinking about doing?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2255 on: February 09, 2021, 10:03:40 AM »
Yowzers!!

When you're doing Insanity, I'm sure you'll burn right through the Super Bowl treats. That s*** is ba-nanas, yo.

:lol  You know, the Max Cardio Conditioning routine (25-mins straight) was not as tough as the Pure Cardio one (18 mins straight).  The former has a lot of fairly low(er) impact/intensity moves methinks.

What type of lifting program are you thinking about doing?

Probably a modified p90x.  Been a while since I did that one.  I prefer to have some kind of structure to my routines - if I leave it completely up to myself, I never trust that I'm doing enough, or maximizing my efforts.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 03:26:38 AM by jingle.boy »

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #2256 on: February 09, 2021, 12:32:53 PM »
Still hitting the gym 6 days a week, 2 hours a day.  Shot this a few days ago:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2257 on: February 09, 2021, 07:10:10 PM »
You look awesome mate.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2258 on: February 10, 2021, 03:25:48 AM »
You look awesome mate.

Indeed.  I hope I'm lookin that good in 7 years!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2259 on: February 10, 2021, 06:20:47 PM »
https://superswim.org.au/t/aqualogan

Up to 40.5km swimming with 13 days to go.  Should smash the 60km goal I set myself.  Raising some nice coin so it's all been worthwhile.  It's been a wonderful team building exercise too and the customers love seeing us in there.  Getting tough though now.  I'm a complete scrooge but it actually felt really good donating in $250 bucks haha.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2260 on: February 11, 2021, 04:56:12 AM »
Topped you up a little to get you to the top of the list.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2261 on: February 11, 2021, 06:05:49 AM »
Can I join up? Ive been training to run a marathon and using that as an excuse to eat whatever I want. So.... I actually have gained weight while training lol I'm running my marathon Saturday, after that I gotta get back on the rails!!!

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2262 on: February 11, 2021, 06:30:59 AM »
Can I join up? Ive been training to run a marathon and using that as an excuse to eat whatever I want. So.... I actually have gained weight while training lol I'm running my marathon Saturday, after that I gotta get back on the rails!!!
I can honestly say that i never once lost weight training for a marathon. In fact, it's usually dreaming about all the horribly unhealthy food i plan to eat immediately after the race that pushes me through the final 10k or so.

Good luck to you! Although i do miss running, i sure don't miss marathons.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2263 on: February 11, 2021, 11:08:28 AM »
I can honestly say that i never once lost weight training for a marathon. In fact, it's usually dreaming about all the horribly unhealthy food i plan to eat immediately after the race that pushes me through the final 10k or so.

Good luck to you! Although i do miss running, i sure don't miss marathons.

Thanks! I don't know that I'll ever do this again. The 20 mile training run was brutal and some of my joints have still not fully recovered. Half marathon is totally doable though. I'm doing this all unsanctioned, so once the world resumes safe sporting events, I might sign up for a half.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2264 on: February 11, 2021, 11:59:08 AM »
Past the 20 mile mark is pure willpower, if you ask me. I didn't once do a training run behind that point, and usually only 1 at that distance itself. Too much pain lol.

Offline H2

« Reply #2265 on: February 11, 2021, 12:31:27 PM »
Are there races going on these days? I've been out of the loop.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2266 on: February 11, 2021, 12:34:05 PM »
Topped you up a little to get you to the top of the list.

You are a star Chad.  I didn't expect donations just wanted to share what we are doing but thanks.

Huge shout out to Gregg too for donating $100 to me.  That's incredible.  Thank you mate. The generosity makes me realise how amazing you guys are.  :heart  :hefdaddy

It's 5.30am and great motivation to go get my swim in this morning.  Was thinking about sleeping in as I have a big day but will go in early and get some more kms.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2267 on: February 11, 2021, 12:43:55 PM »
I believe she hinted it's unsanctioned, which i read as "it's not supposed to be happening but is anyway". At least that's my interpretation

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2268 on: February 11, 2021, 12:45:19 PM »

Haha, you must be putting away some food.  Probably not a bad thing though.

Good luck on Sunday and let us know how you go.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #2269 on: February 11, 2021, 01:24:35 PM »
I walk 4 miles on the treadmill every morning.  I do 1 hour at 4mph.   I don't know how people run 20+ miles in one shot.  No way I could manage that and I know you have to work your way up to it but I don't think I'd ever make it past 1 or 2 miles.  I literally **hate** running.  Walking I like.  Running, no so much. 

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #2270 on: February 11, 2021, 03:01:12 PM »
Unless you're elite, you likely aren't running it all without stopping. I used to do the first hour with maybe 1-1min walk break while i refuel. Hour 2 is usually 2-3 1min walks. Hour 3 is walking a minute every 10 or 15. Hour 4 (well, for me there was always a fourth hour) was always whatever i needed to get across the finish line.

The most popular running program in Canada taught through Running Room is to do 10's and 1's the entire distance. Pretty effective, and you end up really looking forward to those minutes. In a marathon you hear all the beeps going off within a few seconds of each other from all the people with timers set. Almost surreal

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2271 on: February 11, 2021, 06:57:23 PM »
I believe she hinted it's unsanctioned, which i read as "it's not supposed to be happening but is anyway". At least that's my interpretation

There are some races still occurring in places with waves of start times and other weirdness. I say my marathon is unsanctioned because I'm literally just using my watch and running circles around my neighborhood until I hit 26.2 miles. Doing this to raise money for local (to me) charity.

I walk 4 miles on the treadmill every morning.  I do 1 hour at 4mph.   I don't know how people run 20+ miles in one shot.  No way I could manage that and I know you have to work your way up to it but I don't think I'd ever make it past 1 or 2 miles.  I literally **hate** running.  Walking I like.  Running, no so much. 

I hated running up until a couple years ago. I always swore I was a sprinter and couldn't do distances. I started with a couch2-5k running app on my phone. Then I did a 5k-10k app and kinda settled in and probably after 2 or so years I actually started to like it. Then my husband signed up for a marathon and I said I would do the training with him and just do it around the neighborhood because I don't want to pay money to run lol His event has since been cancelled but he will run his Sunday after I do mine Saturday.

Unless you're elite, you likely aren't running it all without stopping. I used to do the first hour with maybe 1-1min walk break while i refuel. Hour 2 is usually 2-3 1min walks. Hour 3 is walking a minute every 10 or 15. Hour 4 (well, for me there was always a fourth hour) was always whatever i needed to get across the finish line.

The most popular running program in Canada taught through Running Room is to do 10's and 1's the entire distance. Pretty effective, and you end up really looking forward to those minutes. In a marathon you hear all the beeps going off within a few seconds of each other from all the people with timers set. Almost surreal

I only did the 1 20 mile training run like you said higher up. I made it to about 18 miles without having to stop to walk, but those last 2 miles were miserable. It also been raining on and off and dropped 15F degrees throughout my run.

It will probably take me about 5.5 hours - I'm not a fast runner by any means. I should be good to hit 3.5hrs without having to stop, but after that is a guessing game.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2272 on: February 17, 2021, 09:25:13 PM »
60km swim challenge completed.  6 days left.  Let's up it to 75km.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2273 on: February 18, 2021, 03:11:45 AM »

:tup :tup
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2274 on: February 18, 2021, 05:19:59 AM »

Like a boss!