Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 188949 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. How's it goin this week?
« Reply #1645 on: July 28, 2020, 06:45:25 PM »
I think i paid for the shortened rest by the end. The last 2 sets on the way up took me the full 2min to finish the reps. And i mean the full 2

Did you start at 20 pullups, or 10?
10. I couldn't do 20 in 2 minutes period, let alone with the push ups

I mean, I know that Jeff Cavaliere is in god-tier shape, but it's f'n impressive to do 20 pullups and 20 pushups in 60 seconds.  That's an average - AVERAGE - of one rep per 1.5 seconds - let alone the time to transition between the floor and a pullup bar.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1646 on: July 28, 2020, 06:57:45 PM »
I think i paid for the shortened rest by the end. The last 2 sets on the way up took me the full 2min to finish the reps. And i mean the full 2

Did you start at 20 pullups, or 10?
10. I couldn't do 20 in 2 minutes period, let alone with the push ups

I mean, I know that Jeff Cavaliere is in god-tier shape, but it's f'n impressive to do 20 pullups and 20 pushups in 60 seconds.  That's an average - AVERAGE - of one rep per 1.5 seconds - let alone the time to transition between the floor and a pullup bar.

Form would certainly have to suffer doing these numbers.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1647 on: July 28, 2020, 07:05:12 PM »
To be honest, my form starts suffering after 4 consecutive pull ups. And that's from fresh.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1648 on: July 28, 2020, 07:12:11 PM »
To be honest, my form starts suffering after 4 consecutive pull ups. And that's from fresh.

I'd probably get to 6-7, and then if I concentrate on form, things start slowing down lol.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1649 on: July 28, 2020, 08:55:03 PM »
I know I'm a gigantic fanboi for Athlean-X, but seriously guys ... invest 12 minutes to watch this.  I'll lay down $100 that you'll improve your pullups (either quality or quantity - or both) on your first effort of paying attention to even a couple of these pieces of advice - it did for me.  I was a 6-8 pullup guy, and after not having done pullups in about a 5 weeks, I was able to hammer out that first set of 10 last week with really good form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K81-SLUFo9c&t=2s

Two biggest pieces that helped me - pull the hands inwards, and 'plug the leaks'.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1650 on: July 28, 2020, 09:08:56 PM »
Ok. I wasn't doing most of what was on his list lol. I'm actually a little excited to see what happens with just a couple technique improvements

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1651 on: July 28, 2020, 11:01:05 PM »
I know I'm a gigantic fanboi for Athlean-X, but seriously guys ... invest 12 minutes to watch this.  I'll lay down $100 that you'll improve your pullups (either quality or quantity - or both) on your first effort of paying attention to even a couple of these pieces of advice - it did for me.  I was a 6-8 pullup guy, and after not having done pullups in about a 5 weeks, I was able to hammer out that first set of 10 last week with really good form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K81-SLUFo9c&t=2s

Two biggest pieces that helped me - pull the hands inwards, and 'plug the leaks'.

I'll check this tonight.

This guy does know his shit though.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1652 on: July 29, 2020, 05:32:20 AM »
Good video.  I think there is a lot there I don't do but maybe a couple I do.  Keeping the lower body tight is something I know I don't do.  I definitely cross my legs.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1653 on: July 29, 2020, 06:55:44 AM »
Good video.  I think there is a lot there I don't do but maybe a couple I do.  Keeping the lower body tight is something I know I don't do.  I definitely cross my legs.
That and the pulling the hands together are on my list of needed improvements. I probably use too close a grip sometimes, as well. Basically...i was doing them almost completely wrong

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1654 on: July 29, 2020, 07:01:49 AM »
As far as keeping the body tight, it's a piece of advice for virtually every exercise.  Curls?  Keep the entire body engaged.  Same with overhead press.  He's got a saying - you can't fire a cannon from a canoe.   :lol  Honestly, I've seen noticeable improvements on those kinds of upper-body movements when I keep my core and legs tight.  He's got a good video on bench press too with KC Mitchell (That 1 Legged Monster).  Again, noticeable improvements just by improving my technique.

Curious to know how you guys find it when you give it a go.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1655 on: July 29, 2020, 03:16:55 PM »
That and the pulling the hands together are on my list of needed improvements. I probably use too close a grip sometimes, as well. Basically...i was doing them almost completely wrong

I was under the impression that changing where your grip is would be a good thing but now it seems I do them too wide or either too narrow.  :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1656 on: August 02, 2020, 03:51:21 AM »
After couple of months of postponing (for reasons like "I don't have any running shoes" and "I can't spare 30 minutes because I've got so much to do" and a somewhat valid one that we couldn't officially go outside without a mask until early July I think) I finally started running with Couch to 5k program. Enjoyed my first day and looking forward for the second (I'm going to do Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday or Sunday). I like that it takes only around 30-40 minutes each day so that I can get back home from work, change and head out to run/walk.

I'm sure the next couple of weeks aren't going to be much fun though :lol Especially as I've heard weeks 4 and 5 are fairly difficult. Curious if I can finish all 9 weeks, should definitely be a challenge.

Nice! I did one of those programs way back in the day coming out of highschool when I first got into running. Honestly, if you stick to the program the end isn't too bad. You get used to the pain.

Yeah, week 1 was really easy and I'm really enjoying running so far. Week 2 doesn't look too difficult either, I'm not winded after a minute of running so 90 seconds shouldn't be too difficult. I expect either Week 3 or Week 4 to really suck though. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1657 on: August 02, 2020, 03:55:55 AM »
I do hope you got some proper running shoes Ruslan.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1658 on: August 02, 2020, 04:00:27 AM »
I have actually, went into a shop for runners and got a fairly expensive (like 10% of my monthly wage expensive) pair of shoes which are very comfortable so far. I'm also running in a local park which is like 5 minutes from my home so I was specifically looking for a trail running shoes (or whatever it's called, running on natural roads instead of asphalt and so on).

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1659 on: August 02, 2020, 04:08:12 AM »
I have actually, went into a shop for runners and got a fairly expensive (like 10% of my monthly wage expensive) pair of shoes which are very comfortable so far. I'm also running in a local park which is like 5 minutes from my home so I was specifically looking for a trail running shoes (or whatever it's called, running on natural roads instead of asphalt and so on).

Good stuff mate.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1660 on: August 02, 2020, 04:11:16 AM »
Still enjoying my running.  Set a bit of a montly goal for myself based on the volume I've been doing on a weekly basis. This takes the the weekly average up a little bit on what I have been doing to make it more challening.  Looking at doing 200km (125 miles) in the month of August.  both yesterday and today did 12km each day, so already the 2nd of August I'm up to 24km.  Never run back to back days of over 10kms but half the run today was on par with record time but the second half I fell flat.  See how I go tomorrow, will aim to do a few kms after every weight session each night.  Not sure how I'll keep up though.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1661 on: August 02, 2020, 04:19:48 AM »
Holy shit man, my goal is to run 15km weekly (three 5k runs each week) come October and then slowly raise the bar. 200km a month sounds insane.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1662 on: August 02, 2020, 04:56:27 AM »
Holy shit man, my goal is to run 15km weekly (three 5k runs each week) come October and then slowly raise the bar. 200km a month sounds insane.

Give it time and experience my friend.  He's been running a long time; you just got off the couch.  :lol

So here's how fickle the body can be.  Two weeks ago, I weighed in below 180 for the first time in over a year, and 14.2% BF. Last week, 183.8 / 14.6.  WTF?  I wasn't too flustered, as again - I'm more focused on how I feel and what I see in the mirror.  This morning, back under 180 and 14.2% - and this was a pretty shit week for exercising and diet.  After losing our dog, I didn't any exercise for 4 days, and ate/drank more than usual.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 05:37:08 AM by jingle.boy »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1663 on: August 02, 2020, 05:10:57 AM »

I'm sorry if me posting after yours was to try and show off or make out what you are doing is inferior or anything Ruslan.  Nothing like that at all mate.  It's taken me a couple of years now to do the distances I am doing.  It's been a long consistent challenge.  I started being able to do less than 100m without almost dying. 

What you are doing is awesome.  Just keep going and focus on one day and one run at a time.  And you'll get there.  Consistency is indeed the key here.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1664 on: August 02, 2020, 05:12:23 AM »

This is still a solid effort.  If you can do this by October, that's a brilliant, briliant effort.  Took me fucking a lot longer.  But I avoid all physical activity until I was like 28.  :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1665 on: August 02, 2020, 05:14:37 AM »

Give it time and experience my friend.  He's been running a long time; you just got off the couch.  :lol

So here's how fickle the body can be.  Two weeks ago, I weighed in below 180 for the first time in over a year, and 14.2% BF. Last week, 183.8 / 14.6.  WTF?  I wasn't too flustered, as again - I'm more focused on how I feel and what I see in the mirror.  This morning, back under 180 and 14.2% - and this was a pretty shit week for exercising and diet.  After putting losing our dog, I didn't any exercise for 4 days, and ate/drank more than usual.

Sometimes the more you do, the body seems to stress itself and hold on to everything possible.  Once you let go once in a while it seems to release what should have come off with all teh good eating and exercising.

Sorry to hear about your dog mate.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1666 on: August 02, 2020, 05:51:24 AM »
Sorry to hear about your dog Chad

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1667 on: August 02, 2020, 11:40:51 AM »

I'm sorry if me posting after yours was to try and show off or make out what you are doing is inferior or anything Ruslan.  Nothing like that at all mate.  It's taken me a couple of years now to do the distances I am doing.  It's been a long consistent challenge.  I started being able to do less than 100m without almost dying. 

What you are doing is awesome.  Just keep going and focus on one day and one run at a time.  And you'll get there.  Consistency is indeed the key here.

Not at all man. I just shared that because I'm so excited to keep doing it. I honestly can't wait for the next running day. It's been a blast so far and I hope it stays this way. I've got a lot of running friends on FB and it's always very inspiring to see their posts about how they ran 10k here and there, and so it is to see your posts by the way. Whenever I see you post "hey, so like I decided I wanted to run a little bit and I ran 15km today easy, haven't even cracked a sweat you lads", I'm aspiring to be able to have a workout like you have. Small steps and all that. I'm sure I have a willpower to get there, and I will eventually get there, and even this thought makes me excited as hell. I hope I'll read this post in the next six months and I hope I will be proud of how far I've progressed.

But for now, I will just have to stick to it and hope it won't suck too much. :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1668 on: August 02, 2020, 03:21:38 PM »
Awesome mate.  Yeah, if you have the want and determination to do it, step by step you'll get there.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1669 on: August 02, 2020, 09:24:44 PM »
Did a little pyramid of archer pushups, and db curls in a ‘death by’ format. Alternating each move, I started at 1 rep, went up to 10 in intervals of 1, then back down to 1. Rounds 1-5 were 30 seconds per set; rounds 6-10 were 60 seconds per set (and vice versa when cascading the # of reps back down to 1.  Curls were done with 25s

Ultimately, 100 reps of each (which is essentially 200 pushups since I was counting each side of the archer move as 1 rep).  My chest is already feeling it.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1670 on: August 02, 2020, 09:38:30 PM »
Archer pushups?

For a fitness guy I really don't know much lingo lol.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1671 on: August 02, 2020, 09:39:59 PM »
Still enjoying my running.  Set a bit of a montly goal for myself based on the volume I've been doing on a weekly basis. This takes the the weekly average up a little bit on what I have been doing to make it more challening.  Looking at doing 200km (125 miles) in the month of August.  both yesterday and today did 12km each day, so already the 2nd of August I'm up to 24km.  Never run back to back days of over 10kms but half the run today was on par with record time but the second half I fell flat.  See how I go tomorrow, will aim to do a few kms after every weight session each night.  Not sure how I'll keep up though.

I just worked out this morning that setting myself this random goal equates to an average of 6.5kms a day...........I'm a dodo.  24km in the first 2 days brings the average for the rest down to 6kms a day........Fuck....

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1672 on: August 02, 2020, 09:59:20 PM »
Archer pushups?

For a fitness guy I really don't know much lingo lol.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1673 on: August 02, 2020, 10:03:04 PM »
WTF?  I think my shoulder will dislocate trying to do that.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1674 on: August 03, 2020, 04:31:53 AM »
WTF?  I think my shoulder will dislocate trying to do that.

It’s basically a stabilizing 1-armed push-up. My form wasn’t quite as good as the picture, but you get the idea.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1675 on: August 03, 2020, 06:13:31 AM »
I crossed the 60lbs lost threshold over the weekend (62.2*)  :metal Sitting at 237.6 as of this morning. I don't think I've been in the 230s since 2011 or so.

Looking at my tracker app, I did 144.8 miles last month. I'm pretty happy with that. Kind of sucks that it took a Pandemic to help me find that time, but I'll take it.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1676 on: August 03, 2020, 07:20:46 AM »
Bri... that's awesome!!!  Keep lapping that field of couch potatoes.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1677 on: August 03, 2020, 08:14:42 AM »
I crossed the 60lbs lost threshold over the weekend (62.2*)  :metal Sitting at 237.6 as of this morning. I don't think I've been in the 230s since 2011 or so.

Looking at my tracker app, I did 144.8 miles last month. I'm pretty happy with that. Kind of sucks that it took a Pandemic to help me find that time, but I'll take it.

That's awesome dude, keep it up. 

I took a bit of a break last week, had a mini vacation to the shore and just mostly lounged. Now it's Monday and time to get back into the daily work out.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1678 on: August 03, 2020, 04:14:16 PM »

Awesome effort mate.  Keep going lad!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1679 on: August 09, 2020, 05:26:01 AM »

I just worked out this morning that setting myself this random goal equates to an average of 6.5kms a day...........I'm a dodo.  24km in the first 2 days brings the average for the rest down to 6kms a day........Fuck....

It's the 9th of August here and have completed 77kms.  This was a stupid, stupid, stupid idea.