Author Topic: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. Run Forest, Run!  (Read 190411 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: The Official Exercise/Fitness Thread v. How's it goin this week?
« Reply #1610 on: July 20, 2020, 01:14:09 PM »
That's the goods man.  Awesome!  23lbs in 4 weeks is pretty aggressive, but not like Biggest Loser stupid-aggressive.  2.5% of body weight is fantastic.  Slow and steady wins the race.   :tup
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1611 on: July 20, 2020, 01:21:26 PM »
Yea, good work Chino.  You are going a bit more hardcore than I was last year when I wanted to drop my fat so I know, and I'm sure you do too at this point, that it works. 

For me, I have such a hard time keeping the calories low when I'm home all day.  It was so easy to keep my calories at 1k when I had a set schedule and could find my flow, but I have no flow at all these days and while I'm doing well with the exercise, the diet side has just not really been there for me.  I say this as I am prepping to make a pepperoni, onions, and peppers pizza for dinner later. 

I guess the good part about my diet is I'm almost done eating all the old processed foods I had.  I think I want to embrace the idea of not having any sort of boxed meal in my house.  Just fresh meats/veggies/fruits/breads.  It'll encourage me not to eat shit snack foods, and to also cook healthy meals every day.  Last grocery trip was essentially all meats/veggies/fruits/breads and I felt pretty good when checking out that my cart was all natural foods. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1612 on: July 20, 2020, 02:27:49 PM »
Freaking awesome, Chino!

I've been doing real good with my diet lately. One thing that's become a staple of my diet now is an avocado every day. I love the process of cutting it open and removing it from the shell, although the pit is always a pain. But slicing it up and adding a little salt... super healthy, delicious snack.

That said today has been an absolute Monday so this guy just might be having a vodka-OJ tonight and will hit reset tomorrow. :getoffmylawn: I can just count it as a rest day...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1613 on: July 20, 2020, 02:30:41 PM »
The booze certainly doesn't help my diet either, but I never cut that out since I started being healthier  :lol but will admit, that goes with the stay at home shit not being good for my calorie counting as I'm drinking more than I would otherwise.  I still have a bunch of Trooper beers that I may crack open in a bit since my work day (which has been very slow) is winding down.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1614 on: July 20, 2020, 03:07:15 PM »
I get the vanilla almond milk - unsweetened. Cereal and shakes/smoothies. Perfect so as to not drink my calories.

I go for whatever unsweetened is on special, don't care about the brand, but I'm always stoked if an unsweetened vanilla is on sale.  :metal

6-pack from Costco - always a good price.

Costco over here you have to pay 60 bucks to sign up just to shop there.  Fuck that.

I pay for the $150 executive membership. I made my money back in just gas savings alone. I paid for it a second time just in meat purchases. I paid for it 1.5 more times last year when I got about $230 worth of Costco cash.   

Buying a membership to Costco is one of the best financial decisions you could make.

Yea, the costco membership really works itself out if you shop there enough.  As a single dude, that means it doesn't work out too often in my favor since I just don't buy that much stuff.  However, I do get the membership every few years and will stock up on the things that will last for awhile and then let the membership slide until I need to stock up again... which will probably happen before the end of the year.

Maybe I need to look into it more then.  But yeah, like Cram, I don't buy a lot of stuff so not sure it would benefit me a whole that.  To be honest I thought it was just a 60 dollar fee to shop there.  Didn't understand the reason or benefit behind it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1615 on: July 20, 2020, 03:09:45 PM »
Well done Chino!!  Massive effort.  Be careful though as 1000 calories is very low.  Make sure you have a day here and there where you up them a bit to give your body a bit of a reset.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1616 on: July 20, 2020, 03:12:28 PM »
Well, it is a fee to shop there, but you get significant savings by buying in bulk.  For chino's example, you get a % back too with the credit card so you can easily earn the cash back based on your spending already if it's that high. 

Costco brand (Kirkland) is also really high quality and cheap usually.  Even their booze is fantastic value.  I think if I just bought 5 bottles of that over 5 bottles of Titos, I'd earn that fee back up in the savings.  Sadly, there just isn't a costco that sells booze very close to me otherwise I'd keep that yearly membership.

Well done Chino!!  Massive effort.  Be careful though as 1000 calories is very low.  Make sure you have a day here and there where you up them a bit to give your body a bit of a reset.

Check out the BBQ thread and I'm sure there are some days where he goes over 1k  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1617 on: July 20, 2020, 03:14:05 PM »
Buying in bulk is neat but unless I was shopping for more than one person I think I would actually spend more money shopping there due to the membership. Like, my old man gave me a box of trash bags from there. Lasted me almost 2 full years, I used the last one last week. I guess if I use the membership for one year and buy a lot of specific stuff in bulk then technically I could save money by not renewing the membership  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1618 on: July 20, 2020, 03:16:39 PM »
Buying in bulk is neat but unless I was shopping for more than one person I think I would actually spend more money shopping there due to the membership. Like, my old man gave me a box of trash bags from there. Lasted me almost 2 full years, I used the last one last week. I guess if I use the membership for one year and buy a lot of specific stuff in bulk then technically I could save money by not renewing the membership  :lol

This is what I do.  Like the toilet paper and paper towels.  Stuff like that I will buy with my membership and then let it expire until I run out of that stuff.  Which like you said, for a single person, could be years. 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1619 on: July 20, 2020, 03:19:57 PM »

This would be me for sure.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1620 on: July 20, 2020, 03:31:45 PM »
Mrs. P bought a restaurant sized box of cellophane wrap from Costco in 1998. In 2012, we added the box to our list of items to be distributed upon our death to the children, specifically going to our youngest son (he won the right to it in a game of Cards Against Humanity). Our attorney called me a month later to see if we were serious. "If it's still in the family, of course we're serious."

November 2017 while wrapping up Thanksgiving leftovers it final expelled it last piece of yellowish cellophane. We had all the kids over to cremate the box in the backyard. They all shared a story and toasted to it's memory.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 03:54:20 PM by Podaar »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1621 on: July 20, 2020, 03:44:44 PM »
 :rollin wtf

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1622 on: July 20, 2020, 03:46:54 PM »
I don't for one second believe his kidding.

I still have a couple of cans of Comet cleaning scrub that I bought when I went away to University in 1993
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1623 on: July 20, 2020, 03:54:04 PM »
I get the vanilla almond milk - unsweetened. Cereal and shakes/smoothies. Perfect so as to not drink my calories.

I go for whatever unsweetened is on special, don't care about the brand, but I'm always stoked if an unsweetened vanilla is on sale.  :metal

Costco over here you have to pay 60 bucks to sign up just to shop there.  Fuck that.

I pay for the $150 executive membership. I made my money back in just gas savings alone. I paid for it a second time just in meat purchases. I paid for it 1.5 more times last year when I got about $230 worth of Costco cash.   

Buying a membership to Costco is one of the best financial decisions you could make.

Yea, the costco membership really works itself out if you shop there enough.  As a single dude, that means it doesn't work out too often in my favor since I just don't buy that much stuff.  However, I do get the membership every few years and will stock up on the things that will last for awhile and then let the membership slide until I need to stock up again... which will probably happen before the end of the year.

Maybe I need to look into it more then.  But yeah, like Cram, I don't buy a lot of stuff so not sure it would benefit me a whole that.  To be honest I thought it was just a 60 dollar fee to shop there.  Didn't understand the reason or benefit behind it.

The cost savings are ridiculous, truly. I live alone and still get my money's worth several times over every year. I can't get everything there though. I don't get much fresh produce there. I mean, I'm not going to eat 5lbs of spinach before it goes bad. But I buy 4lb containers of grapes there, bananas, 12 packs of apples... stuff like that. I get a lot of frozen fruit there and that'll last as long as I need it to. Those are the things that go in my shakes.

Meat too. I'll get a 9 pound slab of pork belly, cut it into three 3lb slabs and freeze them. Same goes for my eye round (for jerky), chicken wings, chicken breast, ground turkey, etc.. I have anything I'd want on standby. Toilet paper, paper towels, cat litter, power bars, milk, eggs, ciabatta rolls (I freeze those too), mozzarella, cereal, shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, floss, tooth paste, flowers... those are all things I only buy at Costco and never really end up wasting any of it. It's a great place if you're entertaining and need to feed people as well. You won't beat their prices anywhere else. I've had single day BBQs that almost paid for my annual membership in what I saved at Costco's meat department.

Then there's all the big ticket items. Every year I seem to make 1 or 2 big-ish purchases for the house. A couch, rowing machine, 60" TV, power washer, kayak, generator, a gazebo... all single item purchases, the savings of which paid the equivalent+ of an annual membership each (maybe not the kayak).

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1624 on: July 20, 2020, 03:56:32 PM »

Check out the BBQ thread and I'm sure there are some days where he goes over 1k  :lol

What Cram said :lol I went a good 3-4 weeks without breaking 1200, but the last two weekends I let myself have a couple beers and a chunk of meat with some buddies.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1625 on: July 20, 2020, 03:58:55 PM »

What Cram said :lol I went a good 3-4 weeks without breaking 1200, but the last two weekends I let myself have a couple beers and a chunk of meat with some buddies.

Nothing wrong with that and like wolfking said, with such a low calorie diet, it's probably best you do have a couple days a week where you go over.  Also, it's nice to reward yourself for the hard work.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1626 on: July 20, 2020, 04:09:13 PM »

This is good.  In a way you're calorie cycling.  Do the same thing.  Keep it as low through the week and up it significantly on the weekends.  Works wonders and always seem to look a bit better the next Monday morning.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1627 on: July 20, 2020, 04:09:44 PM »

The cost savings are ridiculous, truly. I live alone and still get my money's worth several times over every year. I can't get everything there though. I don't get much fresh produce there. I mean, I'm not going to eat 5lbs of spinach before it goes bad. But I buy 4lb containers of grapes there, bananas, 12 packs of apples... stuff like that. I get a lot of frozen fruit there and that'll last as long as I need it to. Those are the things that go in my shakes.

Meat too. I'll get a 9 pound slab of pork belly, cut it into three 3lb slabs and freeze them. Same goes for my eye round (for jerky), chicken wings, chicken breast, ground turkey, etc.. I have anything I'd want on standby. Toilet paper, paper towels, cat litter, power bars, milk, eggs, ciabatta rolls (I freeze those too), mozzarella, cereal, shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, floss, tooth paste, flowers... those are all things I only buy at Costco and never really end up wasting any of it. It's a great place if you're entertaining and need to feed people as well. You won't beat their prices anywhere else. I've had single day BBQs that almost paid for my annual membership in what I saved at Costco's meat department.

Then there's all the big ticket items. Every year I seem to make 1 or 2 big-ish purchases for the house. A couch, rowing machine, 60" TV, power washer, kayak, generator, a gazebo... all single item purchases, the savings of which paid the equivalent+ of an annual membership each (maybe not the kayak).

Maybe I'll look more into it then.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1628 on: July 20, 2020, 04:10:01 PM »
Mrs. P bought a restaurant sized box of cellophane wrap from Costco in 1998. In 2012, we added the box to our list of items to be distributed upon our death to the children, specifically going to our youngest son (he won the right to it in a game of Cards Against Humanity). Our attorney called me a month later to see if we were serious. "If it's still in the family, of course we're serious."

November 2017 while wrapping up Thanksgiving leftovers it final expelled it last piece of yellowish cellophane. We had all the kids over to cremate the box in the backyard. They all shared a story and toasted to it's memory.

Outstanding.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1629 on: July 23, 2020, 02:02:22 PM »
I like this one:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1630 on: July 23, 2020, 02:45:46 PM »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1631 on: July 25, 2020, 09:15:07 AM »
It has been years - YEARS - since I've had a case of DOMS as bad as I do right now - I can't even lift my arms fully above my head.

Did a push-pull pyramid routine on Wednesday.  Starts with 10 pullups and 20 pushups in 1 minute, with one minute rest.  Then drop the reps by 2 to 8/18.  Again, get it done in 60 seconds, with 60 seconds rest.  Continue down til the rep count is 0/10.  Then, work back up, this time with 2 mins to complete the reps, and 2 mins of rest.  Ultimately, that routine finishes at 60 pullups, and 170 pushups in 29 minutes.

Holy hell, my teres minors (the muscle between the rear delt and the lat - I had to look up the name) are absolutely raging.  I'm trying to stretch them out and get some blood flowing in there, but man are they tight and stiff.  Thursday was my off day, and around lunchtime yesterday, the DOMS started kicking in.  Ended up taking yesterday off too.  I got on the bike this morning for an hour, and gonna try to do some legs/abs later - nothing that involves arms or back, that's for sure.  Might try to do some Yoga tomorrow to loosen them up.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1632 on: July 25, 2020, 10:27:21 AM »
I might have to try that workout. The first few minutes seem pretty daunting with those pull up reps

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1633 on: July 25, 2020, 11:08:49 AM »
I might have to try that workout. The first few minutes seem pretty daunting with those pull up reps

Stole it from here.  Since my max (uninterrupted) pullups is apparently 10, that's why I started there.  For those that can do more, then it's 20/20 to start.  And to be truthful, it was the last 2 sets of pullups that were killer.  I ended up using a red band for support to lighten my load.  Still barely got the last 2 pullups done.

Oh yeah, and my pec/tris are also raging on me.  :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1634 on: July 25, 2020, 03:26:17 PM »
I'll have to give that a go I reckon.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1635 on: July 26, 2020, 06:42:40 AM »
That sounds crazy, I'll have to give it a go, that amount of pullups will be tough as hell.

I picked up some kettlebells to do some kettlebell works out and it's not easy, it's going to take time to get used to working out with them.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1636 on: July 26, 2020, 07:05:58 AM »
That sounds crazy, I'll have to give it a go, that amount of pullups will be tough as hell.

I picked up some kettlebells to do some kettlebell works out and it's not easy, it's going to take time to get used to working out with them.

I love kettle bells! You can create monster workouts with them just doing swings, snatches and thrusters

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1637 on: July 26, 2020, 07:07:33 AM »

How heavy out of curiosity?  And what kind of exercises?  I’d love to get some kettle bells, but I can make due with the DBs that I have.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1638 on: July 26, 2020, 07:40:13 AM »
I got a 15, 20, and 25lb kettle bell and I started this routine:

https://www.onnit.com/academy/full-body-kettlebell-workout-for-beginners/

It was a lot harder than I thought it'd be keeping the weight stable, they weights feels heavier than their dumbbell counterpart.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1639 on: July 28, 2020, 09:57:12 AM »
After couple of months of postponing (for reasons like "I don't have any running shoes" and "I can't spare 30 minutes because I've got so much to do" and a somewhat valid one that we couldn't officially go outside without a mask until early July I think) I finally started running with Couch to 5k program. Enjoyed my first day and looking forward for the second (I'm going to do Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday or Sunday). I like that it takes only around 30-40 minutes each day so that I can get back home from work, change and head out to run/walk.

I'm sure the next couple of weeks aren't going to be much fun though :lol Especially as I've heard weeks 4 and 5 are fairly difficult. Curious if I can finish all 9 weeks, should definitely be a challenge.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1640 on: July 28, 2020, 10:40:59 AM »
Jingle, I did that push/pull pyramid workout this morning. Not too bad. I did it in 24 minutes (I cut the rest down to 1 min for the first few sets on the way up). I can already feel the hurt, and it's only been an hour since the workout. Tomorrow may be a tough day.

After couple of months of postponing (for reasons like "I don't have any running shoes" and "I can't spare 30 minutes because I've got so much to do" and a somewhat valid one that we couldn't officially go outside without a mask until early July I think) I finally started running with Couch to 5k program. Enjoyed my first day and looking forward for the second (I'm going to do Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday or Sunday). I like that it takes only around 30-40 minutes each day so that I can get back home from work, change and head out to run/walk.

I'm sure the next couple of weeks aren't going to be much fun though :lol Especially as I've heard weeks 4 and 5 are fairly difficult. Curious if I can finish all 9 weeks, should definitely be a challenge.

Nice! I did one of those programs way back in the day coming out of highschool when I first got into running. Honestly, if you stick to the program the end isn't too bad. You get used to the pain.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1641 on: July 28, 2020, 11:29:21 AM »
Jingle, I did that push/pull pyramid workout this morning. Not too bad. I did it in 24 minutes (I cut the rest down to 1 min for the first few sets on the way up). I can already feel the hurt, and it's only been an hour since the workout. Tomorrow may be a tough day.

I think part of my soreness was because I was really controlling the eccentric on my pullups.  IIRC, you're a bit stronger than me vis-a-vis pullups, so cutting the rest to 1 minute if you can is probably a good idea.  No way I could do it though.

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1642 on: July 28, 2020, 01:05:30 PM »
I think i paid for the shortened rest by the end. The last 2 sets on the way up took me the full 2min to finish the reps. And i mean the full 2

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1643 on: July 28, 2020, 02:18:00 PM »
I think i paid for the shortened rest by the end. The last 2 sets on the way up took me the full 2min to finish the reps. And i mean the full 2

Did you start at 20 pullups, or 10?

Online SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1644 on: July 28, 2020, 05:17:46 PM »

Did you start at 20 pullups, or 10?
10. I couldn't do 20 in 2 minutes period, let alone with the push ups